PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please

Pichu
2017-08-25, 01:06 PM
I am building a crit fighter for a 3.5 game I am joining. I am using Disciple of Dispater and a magic item to cast Spikes on my weapon. However, DoD requires metal weapon and Spikes required a wooden weapon. Is there, using any source (bar homebrew), where I can satisfy both needs?

TIA!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-25, 02:00 PM
"Iron Power (Ex): When using an iron or steel weapon..."

Just counting as metal isn't enough, it must be iron or steel, or something that specifically counts as iron or steel.

EndocrineBandit
2017-08-25, 02:08 PM
Would ironwood suffice?

Goaty14
2017-08-25, 02:11 PM
If you custom make a weapon, you could have a wooden handle and a metal blade.

Or, if you want it to be more complicated (but work); DoD a metal weapon (i.e a sword), get a druid to cast Transmute Metal to Wood on it, and then have the same druid cast Ironwood on it, then cast Spikes on it, you also probably want all of that permanencied too.

EDIT:

Would ironwood suffice?

Ironwood only counts as wood, so you'd have to cast DoD before making it wood

EDIT: Read DoD here (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/disciple-of-dispater/index.html) and it only works if you wield an iron/steel weapon, so you'd have to take a wooden sword and change it to metal somehow.

Hiro Quester
2017-08-25, 02:19 PM
As I recall, ironwood won't work. It's actual wood, not iron. Just really hard wood with the structural properties of steel. The spell says "Spells that affect metal or iron do not function on ironwood"

So tis would also apply here. An ironwood weapon would not satisfy the Class ability of DoD:

When using an iron or steel weapon....

Maybe there is a better way of achieving what you want spikes to achieve. It's for druids to use on their wooden weapons.

Spikes doesn't stack with improved critical or other ways of increasing weapon's threat range, anyway. Just use those instead.

EndocrineBandit
2017-08-25, 08:17 PM
Hmmm. Make a wooden weapon to your specs, then polymorph any object to make it cold iron?

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-25, 08:37 PM
The weapon needs to be both wood and iron. Pick a weapon with a wooden haft and iron blade. A scythe maybe?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-25, 11:03 PM
It needs a wooden striking surface to be a valid target for Brambles or Spikes.

Use a Morningstar, it deals both bludgeoning and piercing damage simultaneously, the bludgeoning surface is wood and the piercing portion is iron or steel. (http://i.imgur.com/sN4yqZK.jpg)

Jack_McSnatch
2017-08-26, 07:53 PM
Or forget the spikes bit and just use scimitars. Dod is all sbout critfishing

Khedrac
2017-08-27, 05:55 AM
I am building a crit fighter for a 3.5 game I am joining.
Has your DM approved Disciple of Dispater (a 3.0 class) for use in this campaign? If not you need to check what modifications they may impose (such as not allowing crit stacking as that was a 3.0 thing removed in 3.5).

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-27, 06:57 AM
Well, we need an iron and wood weapon that has a wooden striking surface. An capped quarterstaff with support bands would work, as would a flail with wooden weights with iron bands for weight.

You want something with at least a 19-20 crit range though, or you are better off with a scim.

Jack_McSnatch
2017-08-27, 01:55 PM
You want something with at least a 19-20 crit range though, or you are better off with a scim.

Pretty much this. I dunno what exactly spikes does for you, I'm unfamiliar with the spell, but I very much doubt that it's worth giving up a 9 - 20 crit range. Hell, even a 19 - 20 crit weapon becomes a 13 - 20 with iron power +2 and improved critical. Whereas anything that crits on a 20 only becomes a 17 - 20. It's a really poor use of DoD's coolest ability, and at that point you're better off with more of strength based PrC, rather than a critfisher.