PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pathfinder. Pole-arm build

Nosta
2017-08-25, 03:34 PM
I've been itching to play a super cool pole-arm user. Problem is i'm not sure how to go about it. When i ask people on FB pathfinder group i'm part of they tell me to go to pole-arm master But I have heard its really lack luster.

I am looking for a build that is skill of weapon with something to back it up.
sadly no POW as my GM is only allowing me to use it once and i used it up on my Hidden blade rouge

this will start at a level 6 build and end at level 14th

I am also unsure what race to take for this.

CharonsHelper
2017-08-25, 03:40 PM
Do you want to be a pure martial?

There are several solid Cleric reach builds as well.

You could go as a Phalanx Fighter to be able to use a shield at the same time. Heck - with a 3 level dip and then into Swashbuckler (Or Daring Champion archetype of Cavalier) & Slashing Grace you can use Dex for attack & damage on a polearm, wield a buckler in your other hand, and have AOOs out the wazoo.

Nosta
2017-08-25, 04:09 PM
Do you want to be a pure martial?

There are several solid Cleric reach builds as well.

You could go as a Phalanx Fighter to be able to use a shield at the same time. Heck - with a 3 level dip and then into Swashbuckler (Or Daring Champion archetype of Cavalier) & Slashing Grace you can use Dex for attack & damage on a polearm, wield a buckler in your other hand, and have AOOs out the wazoo.

That's sounds good.

and just pure swashbuckler or is there any Archetype to stack with it.

Can i get some feat ideas?

Rynjin
2017-08-25, 04:24 PM
Building a polearm character is pretty much the same as building a two-hander user of any other variety. You want the basic Feats (Power Attack, Lunge, probably Improved Critical) and then fill in the gaps with something else you want to specialize in (like Intimidating Prowess with Hurtful for a bit of extra damage and debuffing).

Nosta
2017-08-25, 04:37 PM
any other build idea for me?

I Am ok with adding magic to it in fact i'd prefer it

Footman
2017-08-25, 04:37 PM
You have quite a few of options for a Polearm Build, i personally would recommand to stay away from Fighter archetypes, because most of them aren't worth it. If you want to take one, take the Martial Master, because it gives you Martial Flexibilty. (You can gain Feats on the Fly.) If you do take this Route, take the "Martial Focus" Feat, to get access to Advanced Weapon Trainings.
I got quite a few Feats for you here:

"Combat Reflexes" (More Attacks of Opportunity, Vital with your Reach, kind of a staple)

"Lunge" (More Reach for you but only during your turn.)

"Bladed Brush Combat" (You get Dex to Damagae with a Glaive, and you can use Weapon Finesse with it, you must worship Shelyn though. This would also mean you won't need to Multiclass, and if you are a Human Fighter, you are able to be Dex to Damage based at Lvl 1)

"Weapon Trick" (There are several good Tricks for Polearms here, including one with which you can fight at Five Feet by taking a -2 on your Attack rolls)

"Pushing Assault" (This feat Pushes the Enemy 5 Feat away from if you if you hit him with a Power Attack, depending on how your DM rules this this may be good. If your DM rules that the Enemy can continue his Move Action after the Push as normal, and Attack it's worthless.)

"Piraneha Strike" (Power Attack for Dex dudes)

If you don't go Martial Master take the:
"Barrom Brawler" Feat (Flexible Feat Once Per Day), and then take at Fifth Lvl the Advanced Weapon Training Feat to get the "Abundant Tactics" Advanced Weapon Training (Gives you more uses for Daily Feats). Also be mindful of your Skill Point Choices, because you can get Item mastery Feats, by taking the Advanced Weapon Training Feat as a Flexible Feat again (choosing "Item Mastery" Advanced Weapon Training option), and they Function with ANY Magic Weapon you wield.

This nets you access to some very importend SLAs, like Dimension Door, Fly, and See invisibilty, which counter some of your strongest Problems.

I suggest you DON't go for a Trip build, because a Trip build basically eats all your Feats. Also don't forget to shore up your will save any way you can, Iron will and improved Iron will are your Friends, and you should definitly get the Advanced Weapon training option "Armed Bravery" (Makes Bravery apply to all Will saves) at 9th Lvl.

Also ask your DM if you can have the "Combat Stamina System" for free. It makes your Fighter more interesting to play and gives him a nice Power boost.

EDIT: Build for Starting out at 6th Lvl:
Human Fighter (No Archetype)
1. Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Glaive), Bladed Brush Combat
2. Combat Reflexes
3. Iron Will
4. Piraneha Strike
5. Advanced Weapon Training Feat: Abundant Tactics.
6. Barrom Brawler

Get yourself some Gloves of the Duelist as soon as you can get your Hands on them, they won't only increase your Attack and Damage, they will also increase the number of times that you can use Barrom Brawler.

Rynjin
2017-08-25, 04:51 PM
any other build idea for me?

I Am ok with adding magic to it in fact i'd prefer it

As mentioned, Polearm Cleric is pretty solid. For the same reason so is Polearm Inquisitor or Warpriest and for slightly different reasons Oracle and Shaman. Shelyn as your deity gives the Glaive proficiency and she has some pretty solid Domains too. Of those the Warpriest gives the worst overall spell list but a bunch of bonus Feats and swift action buffs, so it's pretty solid there. I suggest the Arsenal Chaplain archetype to grab Weapon Training (and some of teh sweet Feats that require Weapon Training to get).

"Polearm" isn't really a build is the thing. There's some polearm specific Feats but most specialized Feats like that suck in PF. Bladed Brush Combat is one of the exceptions, and combines well with Deadly Agility if your GM will still let you use PoW Feats if not classes and then maybe the Spear Dancing Style Feat line to TWF with your polearm. Without Deadly Agility I really don't recommend it though.