PDA

View Full Version : [Half-Life]The story continues

NeoVid
2017-08-25, 06:39 PM
No, really. The head writer of the Half-Life series just posted a plot synopsis of Episode 3 (http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/), with names changed to protect the copyrighted. Fans quickly did a version with the code names changed back. (https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md)

So, we finally know the next step of the setting's story, but we also know that the former writer of the series has given up on our getting to play a game about it. Damn. I didn't actually like HL2 all that much, but it grew on me more with every episode, and there's nothing I like less than cliffhangers.

Now we have answers for what was going to happen next, but it also turns out that was nowhere near the end of the story. If you just heard a faint shout of frustration, that was probably me.

iyaerP
2017-08-25, 08:00 PM
It is the end of an era.

There are no words to convey the tragedy of this. The most legedary PC franchise of all time, and it dies in a ****ing blog post.
This is what the microtransaction future has wrought.

Valve saw that they could make more money than god from just selling hats and knife skins and dota skins than they would with releasing a complete game, so they got fat and complacent and eventually just stopped making games altogether.

They had the script, we know this now, and it looks like a thing of beauty. They had the team, they had the skill and they had the technology. They could have built the entire described concept just using the Source engine with new assets for the snowy environment, and it would have been a thing of beauty, a testament to the legacy of Gordon Freeman. Instead it died of laziness and ineptitude, a monument to greed.

:furious:

Lentrax
2017-08-26, 03:50 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen and all variations thereupon,

Let us now take a moment to lower our crowbars in respect.

ShneekeyTheLost
2017-08-26, 09:37 PM
Valve: We used to make games. Now, we make money.

Slayn82
2017-08-27, 03:43 PM
Well, it's a shame that things happened this way, but I wouldn't be surprised if the community decided to create Episode 3 by itself, since the script has appeared. Probably will be pretty good too.

NeoVid
2017-08-27, 05:53 PM
Yknow, considering it's got a fan base with the skills and dedication to make Element 120, (http://store.steampowered.com/app/365300/Transmissions_Element_120/) I wouldn't be too surprised at seeing an unofficial HL3.

Fyraltari
2017-08-31, 04:11 PM
The Free Man is dead, yet he lives still in the hearts of many.

Aotrs Commander
2017-08-31, 05:06 PM
I have no investement at all in Half-Life (not my sort of game), though of course it's hard not to be aware of the many frustrated folk who wanted Half-Life 3 (matched only by them as wanted Beyond Good and Evil 2 and who may yet, in the end, perhaps have come off worse). This is sad to here for all you fine lads and lasses that were. My commiserations.

TheWombatOfDoom
2017-09-06, 09:54 AM
Not with a bang, but with a whimper....

ShneekeyTheLost
2017-09-06, 07:24 PM
Not with a bang, but with a whimper....

Not even a whimper, just with a 'meh'.

Bayar
2017-09-11, 12:25 PM
Honestly ? I'm glad they didn't make a continuation. It would probably have ended in disappointment anyway.

NeoVid
2017-09-11, 07:03 PM
I'm sure that's a big part of why it never happened. Valve devs had said that working on HL2 was miserable since there was no way it could live up to expectations, and it would have been much worse for HL3.