PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to gain Shortsword proficiency

Wartex1
2017-08-25, 08:48 PM
I'm playing a game soon as an Avatar Mystic using a shield and medium armor, and I'm looking to see what ways I could use a Shortsword for flavor reasons (and not just a dagger).

So far I've got multiclassing, being an elf, and a feat as options, but what else is there?

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 09:01 PM
I'm playing a game soon as an Avatar Mystic using a shield and medium armor, and I'm looking to see what ways I could use a Shortsword for flavor reasons (and not just a dagger).

So far I've got multiclassing, being an elf, and a feat as options, but what else is there?

You know you can use a short sword even if you don't have Proficiency in it. It just means you're not adding your proficiency bonus to your to attack rolls.

Mechaviking
2017-08-25, 10:13 PM

nevermind tired I misread that, sure you´ve got the right of it. Not much else.

Just talk with your DM if it doesn´t make your character mechanically more powerful there shouldn´t really be any harm to it.

Chugger
2017-08-26, 05:06 AM
It's not just elf. You can go half elf under either the scag or volo's system (sorry I forget which) and lose some phb half elf stuff but get elf weaponry. And that of course includes ss.

lunaticfringe
2017-08-26, 08:08 AM
Hobgoblins also get to pick a martial weapon or 2 to gain proficiency in.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-26, 10:29 AM
I'm not surprised nobody mentioned Weapon Master feat, because it is terrible, but there's that.

Wartex1
2017-08-26, 11:05 AM
To be fair, I did list feats as an option in the OP.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with an elf. While a Hobgoblin could be interesting, I already found a good token for an elf. So unless I find an equally good token for a Hobgoblin, then Elf it is.

Tanarii
2017-08-26, 11:08 AM
I'm not surprised nobody mentioned Weapon Master feat, because it is terrible, but there's that.
It's one of those Feats that seems to be there for a table in which Multiclassing is not allowed, but Feats are.

And even then, it should probably just read "you gain proficiency in all Simple and Martial weapons."

Citan
2017-08-30, 04:57 PM
Hi all hi OP !

You have a much simpler solution than all of this : just learn that proficiency during a downtime. After all it is expressly listed as an option for skills so I dont see why (if not already listed in phb) your DM would not accept it. You will probably need to invest several downtime sessions to do that, a few weeks ir monks in game and a good lump of gold... But I dont see this as a problem really... : )

Tanarii
2017-08-30, 05:10 PM
After all it is expressly listed as an option for skills so I dont see why (if not already listed in phb) your DM would not accept it.Maybe because it's not an expressly listed option for skills either? :smalltongue:

For 250 days of downtime, you can learn a language or tool proficiency. Not skill proficiency.

If a DM wanted to use that as a reason to allow training in weapon proficiency or skill proficiency using downtime, you can use the feats Weapon Master, Skilled, and Linguist, to determine the value for conversion. Assuming 1/2 of the benefit of Linguist is the 3 languages, and 1/2 is the cryptography, the rate for converting is:
Weapon = 3/2 time to learn of a Language = 375 days downtime.
Skill = 4x time to learn of a Language = 1000 days of downtime.

Chugger
2017-08-30, 05:49 PM
Maybe because it's not an expressly listed option for skills either? :smalltongue:

For 250 days of downtime, you can learn a language or tool proficiency. Not skill proficiency.

If a DM wanted to use that as a reason to allow training in weapon proficiency or skill proficiency using downtime, you can use the feats Weapon Master, Skilled, and Linguist, to determine the value for conversion. Assuming 1/2 of the benefit of Linguist is the 3 languages, and 1/2 is the cryptography, the rate for converting is:
Weapon = 3/2 time to learn of a Language = 375 days downtime.
Skill = 4x time to learn of a Language = 1000 days of downtime.

No offense, but if you were really willing to enforce this, I'm so glad you're not my DM.

(soldiers come out of basic training, which does not exclusively focus on assault rifles, with a basic proficiency in assault rifles. Basic training lasts about 9 weeks. Now sure a dnd char who just got prof in, say, short sword isn't a master - but - prof only means not a complete untrained doofus in short sword - mastery comes with +4 or +5 to prof bonus and maybe +4 or +5 Dex to boot. See how it works? Your formula and analysis is very pretty but not anything I'd buy)

Tanarii
2017-08-30, 06:21 PM
No offense, but if you were really willing to enforce this, I'm so glad you're not my DM.Nah, I wouldn't really be willing to enforce that.

I just flat out don't allow weapon proficiency or skill proficiency to be learned at all by spending downtime. Since that's the default rules.

Chugger
2017-08-30, 06:27 PM
Understood.

I think it's better to be honest with players and just say "guys, I have a limit here - I'm not going to try to justify it with 'logic' because that gets offensive - I just need to impose this rule for balance and for my sanity - and can we live with this - or am I missing something?" I'll give them a chance.

But what I most hate is DMs coming up with faux logic to justify and make sensible (or so they think) a completely arbitrary ruling. Honesty is the best path.

Tanarii
2017-08-30, 06:46 PM
But what I most hate is DMs coming up with faux logic to justify and make sensible (or so they think) a completely arbitrary ruling.I liked it better when you called it "very pretty" dismissively lol :smallbiggrin:

Wartex1
2017-08-30, 07:41 PM
To be fair, using a gun effectively is a lot easier to learn than using a sword.

smcmike
2017-08-30, 07:48 PM
Understood.

I think it's better to be honest with players and just say "guys, I have a limit here - I'm not going to try to justify it with 'logic' because that gets offensive - I just need to impose this rule for balance and for my sanity - and can we live with this - or am I missing something?" I'll give them a chance.

But what I most hate is DMs coming up with faux logic to justify and make sensible (or so they think) a completely arbitrary ruling. Honesty is the best path.

I agree, but this argument can be turned back on the player. Instead of trying to justify the proficiency with some silly argument about downtime training, wouldn't it be easier just to ask for it?

ZorroGames
2017-09-14, 08:22 AM
Perhaps it can be worked into the character's backstory?

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-14, 08:45 AM
Perhaps it can be worked into the character's backstory?

That was my thought too.
"Hey, my [x class without martial prof] used to be a Soldier. Wouldn't it make sense that they learned to wield a Shortsword in the 2 years they spent in the army?"

ZorroGames
2017-09-14, 10:54 AM
That was my thought too.
"Hey, my [x class without martial prof] used to be a Soldier. Wouldn't it make sense that they learned to wield a Shortsword in the 2 years they spent in the army?"

For balance you might need to give up something though. DM dependent but seems not unlikely.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-14, 10:59 AM
It's not just elf. You can go half elf under either the scag or volo's system (sorry I forget which) and lose some phb half elf stuff but get elf weaponry. And that of course includes ss. SCAG. Half elf variant rule, green box.

Hobgoblins also get to pick a martial weapon or 2 to gain proficiency in. Yeah.

I'm not surprised nobody mentioned Weapon Master feat, because it is terrible, but there's that. Yeah, but for one weapon it seems a bit high of a price to pay.

To be fair, I did list feats as an option in the OP. Thanks, I think I'll stick with an elf. You could consider using a Spear (simple weapon) as it does same or more damage(piercing), but I'd need to look at Arcane Mystic again to get a look at the class/archetype.
Elf solved your problem nicely. :)