PDA

View Full Version : What's color adamantine have?

Ryuu Hayato
2017-08-25, 09:14 PM
As thread said, what's color this metal have?

Rynjin
2017-08-25, 09:19 PM
I believe canonically it's black, but I always prefer imagining it as a dark forest green.

Mellack
2017-08-25, 10:07 PM
If I recall it was a shiny silver.

Tanarii
2017-08-25, 10:21 PM
It appears to mostly be depicted as a middle grey, dark grey, or almost black color. With shiny metallic, almost dark silvery highlights.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dragons/images/0/0d/Excerpts_mm2_0413.jpg

Puh Laden
2017-08-25, 10:22 PM
Runescape has forever imprinted on my mind that adamantine is green and mithril is blue or at least have sheens of those colors respectively.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-08-25, 10:24 PM
I've heard it described as somewhere between obsidian and a dark gun metal grey.

LordEntrails
2017-08-25, 10:40 PM
I like to picture it as an unpolished hematite.

Of course, their is no canonical color for it that I know of. So, what color do you want it to be?

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 11:11 PM
Green? I coulda sworn it was green.

Nifft
2017-08-25, 11:16 PM
I have used metals like:

- Mithral -> pale silver

- Alchemical Silver -> regular silver

- Adamantine -> dusky gold

- Cold Iron -> black to gunmetal

- Baatorian Green Steel -> green

Smitty Wesson
2017-08-26, 01:14 AM
It's malachite-ish green in Final Fantasy, so that's tainted my imagination.

Naanomi
2017-08-26, 01:16 AM
I've always described it as a matte/non reflective nearly black dark-grey... to distinguish it from 'mirror sheen reflective silver mithril'

JackPhoenix
2017-08-26, 07:07 AM
I like black (ish) and dull, or dark red and shiny. No idea where the later originates from.

Spiritchaser
2017-08-26, 08:04 AM
Somewhere between gunmetal and black oxide in my campaigns

Though it doesn't come up much. I think one NPC the PCs have encountered has a suit made from it, and nothing else to date.

The last campaign I think they found one arrow made from it, though there were a few items they just never found or destroyed in the process of defeating their owners.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-26, 08:22 AM
Runescape has forever imprinted on my mind that adamantine is green and mithril is blue or at least have sheens of those colors respectively.
Same here.

hymer
2017-08-26, 08:48 AM
Purple. Master of Magic hath spoken (http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Adamantium_Ore).

Zanthy1
2017-08-26, 10:21 AM

This. Runescape knew what was what

Tanarii
2017-08-26, 10:25 AM
I like to picture it as an unpolished hematite.

Of course, their is no canonical color for it that I know of. So, what color do you want it to be?digging around online, apparently the canonical Forgotten Realms color (per 2e's Volo's Guide to All Things Magical) is black with green highlights, with purple highlights in the presence of magical light.

(Only relevant if you use FR obviously.)

JackPhoenix
2017-08-26, 10:26 AM
Purple. Master of Magic hath spoken (http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Adamantium_Ore).

Aaaaand I'm apparently color blind, because the moment you've mentioned MoM, my thought was "Oh, wait, adamantium was red in MoM, wasn't it?" as an explanaition why I think it may be red.

Anderlith
2017-08-27, 12:42 AM
Mythical Adamant is based on diamond, its glittery & mostly transparent
D&D Adamantine is black, tending to have a dull shine
Runescape Adamantite is green
Marvel Universe Adamantium has the same coloration as steel

Something to note here is the different suffixes. Everyone likes to throw their own spin on everything. Just clear different colorations with your group before using, that way everyone knows what to look out for.

guachi
2017-08-27, 08:25 AM
I always went with a dull gray or black, like hematite as others have mentioned. though not as dull as lead, so it has a sheen to it.

Though that brings up the question if there's a difference between the ore you'd get adamantine from and the material itself. Bauxite, for example. doesn't look anything like aluminum.

Fayd
2017-08-27, 08:41 AM
I've always gone with a sort of dark greenish-purple.

FabulousFizban
2017-08-27, 06:09 PM
whatever color the DM wants!!

I've always heard/seen it described as black.

Knaight
2017-08-27, 07:26 PM
There's no one standard - I personally favor a dark grey, mostly because my procedure for mythril and adamantine is to steal every usable property from aluminum and tungsten, respectively.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-08-28, 05:45 AM
Dungeons and Dragons canon for adamantine is dark, almost black, sometimes with purple highlights. You see it on descriptions for various monsters and items sometimes, like 3rd edition's Chronoteryn.

Joe the Rat
2017-08-28, 07:25 AM

As far as I'm concerned, that's authoritative.

Of course minecraft says it should be light blue - taken literally, Adamant is "of diamonds"

I'm using bronze - specifically hepatic bronze where it's not so much a patina as a highlight in the metal that shows a rich purple. But that has to do with me using the special materials as "first age" versions of other metals.

Bronze - Adamantine
Silver - Mithril/Mithral/Mythral/Mwthrwl/Elanor
Gold - Orichalcum
Brass - Ifritine

Iron doesn't have an analog, as it appeared in the "second age," alongside Humans.

Potato_Priest
2017-08-28, 08:58 AM
I've actually always imagined it as a bronze-ish color similar to this picture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wolframite_from_Portugal.jpg) of wolframite.

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-28, 09:08 AM
In history it was a term for diamond by people who didn't understand diamonds and thought them unbreakable. That suggests it was clear and shinny in their minds. In 3.5 is it black or dark grey.

Interestingly enough, diamonds are carbon and other crystallizations of carbon are black. Theoretically Diamonds are also black, but are so clear you can't really tell. Being black actually helps them seem more clear as it absorbs rather then redirects any light it interacts with. It is the same reason window screens are black. Your eyes look past the black and just see a darker version of what is behind it.

toapat
2017-08-28, 10:03 AM
Mythical Adamant is based on diamond, its glittery & mostly transparent
D&D Adamantine is black, tending to have a dull shine
Runescape Adamantite is green
Marvel Universe Adamantium has the same coloration as steel

Something to note here is the different suffixes. Everyone likes to throw their own spin on everything. Just clear different colorations with your group before using, that way everyone knows what to look out for.

i prefer Dwarf Fortress Adamantine which is cotton Candy blue and has the density of styrofoam

Though that brings up the question if there's a difference between the ore you'd get adamantine from and the material itself. Bauxite, for example. doesn't look anything like aluminum.

Yes, Obdurium is twice as strong as adamantine.

There's no one standard - I personally favor a dark grey, mostly because my procedure for mythril and adamantine is to steal every usable property from aluminum and tungsten, respectively.

Mythril is supposed to be a mix of titanium and platnium in properties, not aluminum. Bauxite wouldnt be possible to refine without chemistry, titanium could under rare circumstances discover some magnesium

Knaight
2017-08-28, 10:49 AM
Mythril is supposed to be a mix of titanium and platnium in properties, not aluminum. Bauxite wouldnt be possible to refine without chemistry, titanium could under rare circumstances discover some magnesium

And yet, as they're both fictional materials the rough analog works just fine.

Naanomi
2017-08-28, 11:13 AM
Bauxite wouldnt be possible to refine without chemistry, titanium could under rare circumstances discover some magnesium
Or magic, or alchemy, or ancient dwarven craftsmanship secrets...

GlenSmash!
2017-08-28, 06:36 PM
I remember it was black in Neverwinter Nights.

If you think about it as a steel with a very high carbon content it kinda makes sense, of course that would make it very strong but brittle so you have to suspend disbelief somewhere.

Pichu
2017-08-28, 06:42 PM
Red (https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Adamantite_Ore). I play this too much...

Kane0
2017-08-28, 06:49 PM
I remember it was black in Neverwinter Nights.

Yeah very dark silver, grey or black in most PC games, though often described as having a deep green sheen as well.