PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5e How will a LA0 Golmoid look like?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-25, 11:28 PM
Hello guys, I want to be able to move at 30ft with full armor and I want to become a dragonborn so racial features doesn't matter to me.

the Golmoid is from DR317 p26 and have:
+2 Str +2 Con –4 Dex –2 Int
Medium Size
30’ Movement (not slowed by Armor or
Encumbrance)
Gain Feat: Endurance.
Humanoid (golmoid)
+2 Natural Armor bonus to AC.
+2 Racial bonus on Craft checks.
+4 Racial bonus on saves vs. Enchantments.
Level Adjustment +1

do you think that this will be good for LA0 version?
+2 Con –2 Dex
Medium Size
Encumbrance)
Humanoid (golmoid)

Inevitability
2017-08-26, 01:45 AM
I'll be honest, it seems to me that unless your campaign is very low-op, the supposed +1 LA version would already be balanced at +0. Compare the Earth Dwarf, which gets very similar abilities and is considered a moderate-to-good +0 LA race.

If anything, remove the AC bonus and things should be balanced. The +0 LA version you are presenting is simply awful.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-26, 01:53 AM
For referencr, compare the +1 LA dolmoid to warforged, a similar race that the designers felt mandated a net stat penalty and see how much better warforged is before acknowledging it got some cool support.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-26, 02:19 AM
I'll be honest, it seems to me that unless your campaign is very low-op, the supposed +1 LA version would already be balanced at +0. Compare the Earth Dwarf, which gets very similar abilities and is considered a moderate-to-good +0 LA race.

If anything, remove the AC bonus and things should be balanced. The +0 LA version you are presenting is simply awful.
The thing is I am going to play a dragonborn, I will lose them anyway(and I don't like the hit to int or the -6 I will have with dragon born to dex, I will need to take 18 to get 12).
It will look like I am being dishonest with the guys(I know they will never think like that, but I will think like that).

For referencr, compare the +1 LA dolmoid to warforged, a similar race that the designers felt mandated a net stat penalty and see how much better warforged is before acknowledging it got some cool support.

I will look at it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-26, 02:38 AM
Get the Quick trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick) (and spend a feat on Improved Toughness if you don't want the hp loss) with any race that gets 30 ft. normally, and your 40 ft. speed will be reduced to 30 ft. in heavy armor. Any race that gets to move at full speed in heavy armor will lose that trait when you go Dragonborn.

You could take one level of Binder in Tome of Magic, and bind Aym every day to get the ability to move at full speed in heavy armor, among other benefits.

I think my Warforged suggestion in your previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534163-3-5e-Help-with-race-selection#16) wouldn't be too powerful if you skip taking flaws and use the wings aspect, and wait until 6th to get Dragonborn. Take Adamantine Body and the Quick trait at 1st, Extra Granted Maneuver and Stone Power at 3rd and 6th in whatever order you prefer, and you won't need reinforced/heavyweight wings since weight encumbrance, not armor, is what determines whether or not you're able to fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly).

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-26, 05:25 AM
Get the Quick trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick) (and spend a feat on Improved Toughness if you don't want the hp loss) with any race that gets 30 ft. normally, and your 40 ft. speed will be reduced to 30 ft. in heavy armor. Any race that gets to move at full speed in heavy armor will lose that trait when you go Dragonborn.

You could take one level of Binder in Tome of Magic, and bind Aym every day to get the ability to move at full speed in heavy armor, among other benefits.

I think my Warforged suggestion in your previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534163-3-5e-Help-with-race-selection#16) wouldn't be too powerful if you skip taking flaws and use the wings aspect, and wait until 6th to get Dragonborn. Take Adamantine Body and the Quick trait at 1st, Extra Granted Maneuver and Stone Power at 3rd and 6th in whatever order you prefer, and you won't need reinforced/heavyweight wings since weight encumbrance, not armor, is what determines whether or not you're able to fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly).

I miss read the dragonborn speed part :(

from the speed part in the SRD

Speed
Medium or heavy armor slows the wearer down. The number on Table: Armor and Shields is the character’s speed while wearing the armor. Humans, elves, half-elves, and half-orcs have an unencumbered speed of 30 feet.

They use the first column. Dwarves, gnomes, and halflings have an unencumbered speed of 20 feet. They use the second column. Remember, however, that a dwarf’s land speed remains 20 feet even in medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

the speed reduce is not flat.
for 30ft MS it is 2/3 and for 20ft MS it is 0.75.

How much will I slow with 40ft of MS?
If I will have 40ft of MS and will take the Half-fey for 2*MS for good fly speed what will be my speed?

About you warforged suggestion, what do I do about my disability to heal naturally and the need to repair?

Necroticplague
2017-08-26, 10:17 AM
Hello guys, I want to be able to move at 30ft with full armor and I want to become a dragonborn so racial features doesn't matter to me.

the Golmoid is from DR317 p26 and have:
+2 Str +2 Con –4 Dex –2 Int
Medium Size
Encumbrance)
Gain Feat: Endurance.
Humanoid (golmoid)
+2 Natural Armor bonus to AC.
+2 Racial bonus on Craft checks.
+4 Racial bonus on saves vs. Enchantments.
Level Adjustment +1
Honestly, considering the sizable stat penalties, I don't think just making it LA 0 would be too wrong. Compare Warforged, who also have net -2 to stats, and built in armor. These guys exchange partial construct immunities, for a situational bonus, a mostly fluff bonus, and the ability to wear armor.

do you think that this will be good for LA0 version?
+2 Con –2 Dex
Medium Size
Encumbrance)
Humanoid (golmoid)
This is an utter crap race. It's strictly worse than Dwarf, which is a pretty mediocre race as is.

ViperMagnum357
2017-08-26, 11:17 AM
^Well, not strictly worse, since OP clearly wants 30' base speed and something that can wear heavy armor without a penalty. The only base Dwarf race with 30' speed is 3rd party-the Devil Dwarf from Quintessential Dwarf, Mongoose Publishing.

Necroticplague
2017-08-26, 11:57 AM
^Well, not strictly worse, since OP clearly wants 30' base speed and something that can wear heavy armor without a penalty. The only base Dwarf race with 30' speed is 3rd party-the Devil Dwarf from Quintessential Dwarf, Mongoose Publishing.

Ah, my forgetfulness. I though Dwarfs were already 30, no speed penalty.

In that case, you can skirt the issue of race restrictions and just grab a Tooth of Savnok. For a cheap 2k slotless magic item, gives the ability to be unslowed by heavy loads or heavy armor.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-26, 12:00 PM
Honestly, considering the sizable stat penalties, I don't think just making it LA 0 would be too wrong. Compare Warforged, who also have net -2 to stats, and built in armor. These guys exchange partial construct immunities, for a situational bonus, a mostly fluff bonus, and the ability to wear armor.

This is an utter crap race. It's strictly worse than Dwarf, which is a pretty mediocre race as is.

I will just go with something else.

I missed a line in the description of the Dragonborn and I thought that I can save the ability to move freely with heavy armor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-26, 12:47 PM
I miss read the dragonborn speed part :(

from the speed part in the SRD

the speed reduce is not flat.
for 30ft MS it is 2/3 and for 20ft MS it is 0.75.

How much will I slow with 40ft of MS?
If I will have 40ft of MS and will take the Half-fey for 2*MS for good fly speed what will be my speed?

About you warforged suggestion, what do I do about my disability to heal naturally and the need to repair?

Ok, so a 40 ft. base speed in heavy armor gets reduced to 25 ft. instead of 30 ft., because it's reduced by 1/3 and rounded down to the nearest 5-ft. increment: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040608a

Regarding the inability for a Warforged to heal naturally, you'll be a Crusader, so take Martial Spirit and Crusader Strike. You can unarmed strike (not slam) another party member in the arm and deal the minimum 1 nonlethal damage to heal yourself for 2 hp with Martial Spirit. The healing effects from Crusader aren't affected by the half-healing drawback of Warforged.

Everyone in the party should try to get a Healing Belt (MIC) as early as possible regardless, which can be used on yourself or someone else as needed.

You could go with the Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9 build, which still gets 9th level maneuvers and has the ability to put out tons of healing. Binder is needed for class skills and Naberius which gives fast healing for ability score damage, since you'll be taking Con damage to keep using the Hellreaver abilities. Those are in Tome of Magic and Fiendish Codex II, respectively.