PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Gestalt Idea

Buterbean
2017-08-26, 02:08 AM
Hello everyone!

So my DM is allowing us to gestalt and has given me the option to either gestalt with a tier 4 or 5 class or with the Outsider RHD. My current class is Warblade ECL 4, a little background for the story is, the party is made up of monsters. Our DM house ruled that the lowest LA became level 0 and any LA higher than the lowest was adjusted. So i chose to be a Hound Archon (which is highest LA of party if that matters). Also i can only reach level 19 unless we go into epic due to no LA buyoff. So I was planing on just using the Outsider as my gestalt, but wanted to see if maybe there would be any cool combos with tier 4 or 5, I have never gestlated before so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for reading!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-26, 02:19 AM
Outsider HD is going to be really redundant, since you already get full BAB and a higher HD. Six levels of Fighter (Dungeoncrasher) would be an even more redundant chassis but gives one of the best special abilities for a melee character. You could pick up Warmage for some ranged/AoE options and take Arcane Strike. Spellthief is useful considering even one level allows you to use wands of Wizard spells from the schools that has access to (Wraithstrike). You could also dip Paladin if you have a decent Cha, and that allows you to use even more wands. It really just depends on what you want the character to be able to do.

Buterbean
2017-08-26, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the reply! those all sound pretty decent, my main focus is to be front line fighter since im the only one to fill that role. We have a pretty cheezy strat untill we fight stuff immune to sleep. the other 2 players are a pixie artificer and a dragon bard.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-08-26, 05:53 AM
How exactly are you a hound archon and warblade 4? Does your LA go down one side of the gestalt, or does it take up both? If you're archon 6/LA 1/warblade 4, with LA down one side, I'd gestalt with outsider RHD, to get archon 6/LA 1/extra RHD +4//warblade 11. The extra RHD will get you Large size, which will help your melee ability. Plus it'll get you nice skills and saves. Not very high-OP, but damn convenient.

Buterbean
2017-08-26, 06:03 AM
How exactly are you a hound archon and warblade 4? Does your LA go down one side of the gestalt, or does it take up both? If you're archon 6/LA 1/warblade 4, with LA down one side, I'd gestalt with outsider RHD, to get archon 6/LA 1/extra RHD +4//warblade 11. The extra RHD will get you Large size, which will help your melee ability. Plus it'll get you nice skills and saves. Not very high-OP, but damn convenient.

Hi so my full LA is only 1, the RHD was done away with and thats what I would gain from gestalt, so im warblade 3 as now. This gestalt thing just came up last night as a way to advance our more monstrous side, im more then likely just guna take the outsider levels mainly cause i get more skill points and good saves for all 3, and yes becoming large would be pretty dope.

How the LA was made was us 3 PC picked a monster and the other 2 player were LA 4, so LA 4 became 0 making me a LA 1. Till last night we were just advancing as the class we chose, while keeping all the racials of the selected monsters. Hope that answers most of your questions.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-08-26, 08:55 AM
Hi so my full LA is only 1, the RHD was done away with and thats what I would gain from gestalt, so im warblade 3 as now. This gestalt thing just came up last night as a way to advance our more monstrous side, im more then likely just guna take the outsider levels mainly cause i get more skill points and good saves for all 3, and yes becoming large would be pretty dope.

How the LA was made was us 3 PC picked a monster and the other 2 player were LA 4, so LA 4 became 0 making me a LA 1. Till last night we were just advancing as the class we chose, while keeping all the racials of the selected monsters. Hope that answers most of your questions.
Okay, that's a really unusual way of playing monstrous PCs.

I think you would be better off doing what Biffoniacus recommends, and take levels in a tier 4-5 class with the chassis and abilities you want. For example, plain rogue or scout would get you a neat chassis upgrade and class features. Incarnate would be very good, as well.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-26, 09:02 AM
For example, plain rogue or scout would get you a neat chassis upgrade and class features. Incarnate would be very good, as well.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Those 8+Int skill points and all good saves from Outsider are tasty, but class features are probably better. What role are you trying to fill in the party-- skillmonkey? Tank? I'm inclined to suggest Scout (with or without the Riposte ACF), Rogue, or Warlock as being somewhat above the usual T4 options.

Buterbean
2017-08-26, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! So mainly im going more of the role as "tank" just because the way the party is set up. My ability scores go as followed- 22, 12, 18, 14, 12, 8. Im pretty bad at figuring a second class considering I tend to just stay single classed, so this who gestalt thing kinda throwing me off, and a lot of the classes that would go decent use CHA :(

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-08-26, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! So mainly im going more of the role as "tank" just because the way the party is set up. My ability scores go as followed- 22, 12, 18, 14, 12, 8. Im pretty bad at figuring a second class considering I tend to just stay single classed, so this who gestalt thing kinda throwing me off, and a lot of the classes that would go decent use CHA :(

Given the low Cha, Rogue, Scout and Adept all suggest themselves. (Your wisdom isn't great for Adept, but you probably wouldn't be using saving throw based spells in the first place, and by the time you get to the point where you're casting above 2nd level spells you can easily get something to boost it). Monk is also a possibility, as is Ranger or Paladin (the few Paladin things based off of Cha can be switched with the Serenity feat).

If your DM considers Incarnate to be tier 4 (it's argued, I would put it at tier 3), it might be very nice.

Are Pathfinder classes allowed? That would open up a few more options.

Nifft
2017-08-27, 03:41 AM
What are the approved T4 / T5 classes?

I'd second Scout if you're going to use Tiger Claw or any of the Charge-based maneuvers for mobility.

Incarnate is also a great choice, but as mentioned its tier is not unanimously agreed upon -- ask where your DM would place it.

Finally, even the humble Fighter could be good, since you can freely shift around Weapon Focus / Specialization feats. Those feats are pretty awful for a Fighter -- but you get a lot more attacks than a Fighter. Of course, you're not limited to those feats -- you can take the good stuff, like Leap Attack and Shock Trooper.

You don't really need the Fighter's chassis though, so a better path might be the Feat Rogue variant from Unearthed Arcana. That gets you Fighter feat progression, but with Rogue skills & saves.

Rebel7284
2017-08-27, 04:06 AM
Change Shape -> Legendary Wolf gives you excellent physical stats. :D

Possibly warlock as your off side? It gives a number of useful at-will magical abilities (flight, invisibility, see invisibility, animate dead, excellent battlefield control) that can help round out the at-will mundane abilities you have. Also full BAB -> Eldritch Glaive + Boosts/Stances is some excellent damage! Taking 10 on UMD makes you able to safely and reliably use any wands you happen to pick up even with that charisma penalty after a few levels.