PDA

View Full Version : City Slicker or Pure Country?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-11, 08:26 AM
Alright, we may have a 'Where in the Playground Are You' thread, but what kinda locale is it you hail from?

City
I'm a city slicker and the alleys are my playground.

Suburbs
On the outskirts but close enough for convenience.

Small Town
Low population in its own self-contained area, but away from the hustle and bustle.

Country
Theres houses nearby and a few local places, but a lot of wilderness in between.

Boondocks
Theres not a soul for miles around and 'going to town' may be a day's drive.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-11, 08:28 AM
I'm merely in the country as I can see houses if I stand on a hill and there are a few nearby gas stations and small shops and the like within a mile or two.

However, nearest conveniences such as supermarkets and restaurants are at least 20 minutes away.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-11, 08:32 AM
I'm a city person, like many rogues

Serpentine
2007-08-11, 08:38 AM
You don't seem to have a "small town" option... It seems that I'm a country lass. I've spent about 13 years of my 21 in towns of 1000 or fewer (one was within 40 minutes of Wodonga with 40,500 people and Albury, ~42,000, which actually had stuff like a cinema. The other was between two deserts), and about 8 in one of less than 22,000 (it's a city! Or so they keep insisting...). I don't like cities. They're dirty and unfriendly and always so noisy. I think Armidale's about the right size for me - big enough to be convenient, small enough to be pleasant.

AslanCross
2007-08-11, 08:40 AM
City slicker. The development I live in can pass for a suburb since it's exclusive, but right outside the gates it's as urban as you can get.

I'd also like to add that "boondocks" is taken from the Filipino term for "mountain." It was picked up by the GIs who were stationed here during WWII.

Eldred
2007-08-11, 08:41 AM
Country - I be a farmer boy, I be...

Pyro
2007-08-11, 08:55 AM
Hooray for pure, boring suburbia!

Lucky
2007-08-11, 08:56 AM
I would fall under city slicker.

Dihan
2007-08-11, 08:59 AM
I'm a Suburbs

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-11, 09:12 AM
Currently Small Town, though I was a City Slicker for much of my early life, though I also spent a fair bit of time in the Country during later adolescence.

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-11, 09:17 AM
Currently small town, though I used to live way out in the boonies when I was a kid.

RationalGoblin
2007-08-11, 09:18 AM
For nearly half my life I was either Suburbs or Small Town, I can't remember, but now I am a City Slicker.

Serpentine
2007-08-11, 09:21 AM
Yay, I made a contribution to the list! ^_^

Orzel
2007-08-11, 09:27 AM
New York City

Midnight Son
2007-08-11, 09:36 AM
City Slicker by residence, Small Town by heart...

Glaivemaster
2007-08-11, 09:52 AM
I'm a country boy, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, small towns aren't bad, for convenience's sake, but apart from that I like the isolation

Lord Herman
2007-08-11, 09:53 AM
I live in the suburbs, but I'd rather live in the country. I'm not too fond of cities. Way too crowded and stuff.

Vonriel
2007-08-11, 09:59 AM
I've spent all my life in suburbian hell.. :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2007-08-11, 10:01 AM
City, all my life.

adanedhel9
2007-08-11, 10:03 AM
Raised as a city slicker; did the college thing in a small town; now I'm a suburbanite.

Dragonrider
2007-08-11, 10:07 AM
I'm a smalltown girl...population something under 17,000. And we get to be the county seat, which just goes to show how many people live out here. :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't live in a big city if you paid me. Well, I might be tempted if it were Western Washington (state), because I was born there and I still love it, but I think after a while I would get claustrophobic. So much traffic, and just Too Many People.

Morty
2007-08-11, 10:17 AM
I guess city, although there's only 40,000 people here. I don't know if it counts as "city" or "small town".

Dispozition
2007-08-11, 10:21 AM
I'm halfway between a City Slicker and a Suburbian.

I can get anywhere I want within about 40 mins on public trasport or about 25 by car, depending on traffic...

Evil_Pacifist
2007-08-11, 10:46 AM
Small town. The "civilized" parts of town are about seven minutes away, most of the distance being swamps and blechness, and the whole town is still dotted with those really sleazy places that call themselves "general stores", and creepy barbers, and lots of sketchy non-chain gas stations/auto repair places, and we have no good pizza or chinese. I love it here. Oh, and we've got a dam and lots of defunct factories, and a hydroelectric power plant that's probably some teen gang's hideout by now. We've got a paper factory and some famous covered bridge and a population of 12,000 and it's 20 square miles in area, approximately.

Sisqui
2007-08-11, 11:12 AM
Grew up in the small town/pure country category. Got married and had to move to city slicker territory. What we do for love:smalleek:

zeratul
2007-08-11, 11:13 AM
I'm a City Slicker but to paranoid for the alleys.:smalltongue:

bugsysservant
2007-08-11, 11:17 AM
I'm a smalltown girl...population something under 17,000. And we get to be the county seat, which just goes to show how many people live out here. :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't live in a big city if you paid me. Well, I might be tempted if it were Western Washington (state), because I was born there and I still love it, but I think after a while I would get claustrophobic. So much traffic, and just Too Many People.

Ha, that's a city by my definition. I technically live in a city, because Montpelier is the state's capital, but with 7,000 people... hmm... is that "small town" enough?

Dragonrider
2007-08-11, 11:18 AM
Ha, that's a city by my definition. I technically live in a city, because Montpelier is the state's capital, but with 7,000 people... hmm... is that "small town" enough?

:smalltongue: Well, you're from VERMONT!! HAHA!

Beautiful out there, though.

bugsysservant
2007-08-11, 11:22 AM
:smalltongue: Well, you're from VERMONT!! HAHA!

Beautiful out there, though.

Are you making fun of my little state!?!?! We have the best maple syrup, and cows, and um, did I mention Maple Syrup? No, I love New England, and Vermont is the best of the lot. Wouldn't live anywhere else for money.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-11, 11:25 AM
Grew up in the small town/pure country category. Got married and had to move to city slicker territory. What we do for love:smalleek:
Ouch... I hope I never have to make that decision. I mean, I'd have to say it'd be the girl, no contest, but I'd miss the wilderness something fierce.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-11, 11:33 AM
Well, my township has just under 6,000, I think, so, figure that out...

Yay towns!
I'm the same way with most cities. They're just... ugh. Dirty, the people, the cars, the buildings. o.o' *hide* I'd rather die than move to NYC. -.-

If I had to move to a city, I'd move to Reykjavik. I swear... that wasn't a city, that was a very large town. :smalltongue: Or Oslo... I liked it there.

Dragonrider
2007-08-11, 11:33 AM
Are you making fun of my little state!?!?! We have the best maple syrup, and cows, and um, did I mention Maple Syrup? No, I love New England, and Vermont is the best of the lot. Wouldn't live anywhere else for money.

I like your little state. It's beautiful. My grandparents grew up in New England (New Hampshire and Massachusetts, though, definitely not as rural) and I've gone back just to visit all my relatives. West-coaster that I am, it's amazing to me how many states you can drive through in just a few hours.

You have maple syrup and cows? :smalltongue: we have wheat and horses. Yep, this is Cowboys'n'Indians out here (say I sitting here in my denim jacket and jeans fitting right in).

Yeah, it's cold this morning. NOT RIGHT - a year ago it was 112 F at this point in August, and this year I've worn long sleeves for the past week. Not that I'm complaining, mind, 112 for two weeks is a serious bummer. Or maybe it had started cooling down about now last year, I don't remember, but anyway it's just morally wrong. I want to get every inch out of my summer...you watch, come October it'll be up in the high 90s again and then on Halloween night it'll suddenly drop below freezing and we won't get our tropical temperatures again till February. Thank God there's no humidity.

EmeraldRose
2007-08-11, 11:39 AM
I'm a city slicker. I lived for 3 years in a small town (less than 40K people) and nearly went nuts while there...:smalleek:

Back in the city now and loving it!!! :smallbiggrin:

Arang
2007-08-11, 11:39 AM
I'm Small Town/ Country. I can bike to town, but not walk.

I don't really like cities. I constantly feel like someone is going to beat me up and/or mug me. That, and there is noticeable body heat outside, and the buses go weirdly frequently.

Dragonrider
2007-08-11, 11:46 AM
I'm a city slicker. I lived for 3 years in a small town (less than 40K people) and nearly went nuts while there...:smalleek:

Strange person. :smalltongue:

yeah, I spent 5 months in a "small city" of 6 million in China. Man, that was tough. the NOISE...the POLLUTION...the SMELLS...all compounded of course, since it's China.

Nomrom
2007-08-11, 11:53 AM
Born and raised in Suburbia, USA. I'd hate to live in a small town in the middle of the country.

bugsysservant
2007-08-11, 12:19 PM

40K is a SMALL TOWN? Good God, I don't want to live within a hundred miles of what you consider to be a city. Burlington Vermont, our largest city, has "an estimated population of 38,358" (as of July 2006). I had thought that that was a city by definition, but, wow...

Malic
2007-08-11, 12:23 PM
Suburban and Proud. Althought we are about 45 minute's away from a mall.

EmeraldRose
2007-08-11, 12:38 PM
40K is a SMALL TOWN? Good God, I don't want to live within a hundred miles of what you consider to be a city. Burlington Vermont, our largest city, has "an estimated population of 38,358" (as of July 2006). I had thought that that was a city by definition, but, wow...

Heh...well, the university where I got my first degree typically enrolls around 30K students (http://www.news.vcu.edu/news.aspx?v=detail&nid=2166)...(although that was a record enrollment this year) so you can see, my ideas of city size may be a bit skewed...:smallwink:

Orzel
2007-08-11, 12:41 PM

You call 40k a city.

Ha.
Haha.

bugsysservant
2007-08-11, 12:52 PM
You call 40k a city.

Ha.
Haha.

Wikipedia says: "the smallest city in the [U.S.], has only 5 inhabitants", so Burlington's 40,000 should satisfy that requirement nicely. Also, I did utilize slight litotes (Yay! Obscure literary terminology) when giving Burlington's population, because it is an agglomeration. IMHO, you really don't need 1 million people to be a city.

Midnight Son
2007-08-11, 12:56 PM
10 to 50K is a small town in my book. Anything less is a village. Anything more is a city.

Orzel
2007-08-11, 01:00 PM
Wikipedia says: "the smallest city in the [U.S.], has only 5 inhabitants", so Burlington's 40,000 should satisfy that requirement nicely. Also, I did utilize slight litotes (Yay! Obscure literary terminology) when giving Burlington's population, because it is an agglomeration. IMHO, you really don't need 1 million people to be a city.

just 1/10 of that

Burlington needs another 60,000 people before I recognize it as a city.

"If your 'city' can't support a major sports team, it ain't big enough." Orzel's late Grandpa.

Green Bean
2007-08-11, 01:10 PM
Just a small town...err...guy,
Living in a lonely world.
Took a midnight train going
Anywhere!

I'm normally a small town guy, though circumstances this year have moved me to the big city (the perils of being an army brat). In less then a month, luckily, I'll be moving back.

Zar Peter
2007-08-11, 01:11 PM
I agree with Emerald Rose

I lived three years in the small town Salzburg (150k inhabitants) and I were so glad when I went back to vienna, I can't tell anyone.
Can't live without about 1 million people around me. :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2007-08-11, 01:19 PM
Suburbs-y / small town. It's a 15-20 minute drive away from the big city, but it's cool because it's full of trees and some unpaved streets, green everywhere. We do have shops and a commercial area, in fact there's a big supermarket close to my house.

And though personally I'd define myself as a city slicker, that would be kind of cheating, because I don't really live IN the big city. I have a tendency to crave concrete and buildings, but I don't know if I'd stand living among them. Let's say I just have indoors tendencies, but it sure it's quieter here.

I'll post a photo soon so you get what I mean.

wadledo
2007-08-11, 01:20 PM
I live in a multiclass Small town/prestige class Resort town which has 'bout 500 year rounders and 40,000 summer people at the moment.

Extra_Crispy
2007-08-12, 02:10 AM
Lets see most of my growing up was in what would be called a Suburb. Small town outside of Tucson. Well not so small anymore. It now has 4 schools (all almost full) and is finally getting a supermarket. It is only about 20 min from Tucson. Now I live 5 mins from downtown Tucson. But it still has a rural feeling as it starts to get into hills and mountains. Tucson is a strange city. I think it has over a million people now but everyone is very very spread out so it seems like a small town but with lots of people. Downtown is the only place to get very tall buildings and that area is only like 10 blocks square (maybe 2-3 square miles)

I love it here you can get your small town, not a lot of people if you want but still have a lot to do that a large city has.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-12, 02:20 AM
I've been a little of each (except for boondocks) at various times. Grew up on a farm, but I'd say for the most part I'm city. I love having things around me to just watch (as well as being close enough to go to clubbing with some friends when I feel like it and not having to worry about driving home). Plus, I still get a little bit of childish fun out of riding the subway. >_>

B-Man
2007-08-12, 08:04 AM
I'm a city dweller, but I'd love to move to Northern Ontario. A shame that my future career will not let me do so, though. From my friend's description of Northern Ontario, you can actually breathe the air! :smalleek:

I don't think I'd ever grow accustomed to clean air/no smog.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-12, 08:14 AM
I haven't been outside for years. I'm not sure what it looks like these days.

Wayril
2007-08-12, 08:16 AM
I live in the perfect place for me. It's almost completely suburbs, very densely populated (after all it is the most densely populated state, especially in the summer), and everything is within a 30 min drive. The beach is 2 min away. The beaches with good waves are about 20 min away. The mall is probably the farthest thing that I would just go to without any plans and that's only 20 min away as well.

Overall I love having everything easily accessable and lots of people around, so I'd say that I'm a city slicker. Not to mention I'll be going to college in a rather big city.

Zaggab
2007-08-12, 08:27 AM
I would say that I live in a small town, with a little more than 3000 inhabitants... Though it seems like most of you think that's just a village.

The nearest city is 16 km away and has 110k inhabitants something. And we have a fairly large university, with some 30 000 students (yes, more than 25% of the population).

The funny thing is that it's the largest country in this half of the country.

But then the entire nation has 9 million inhabitants. Which makes my mind boggle when I consider that USA have several cities that by themselves house more people than this entire country...

Morty
2007-08-12, 09:03 AM
Bah. I've been in town with 1,000 inhabitants but it was still a town, not a village. A microscopic town, but still town.

Winter_Wolf
2007-08-12, 09:50 AM
Well it's all a matter of perspective I suppose. In the region my hometown is, it' considered a city. In the state of Alaska, it's considered a small town. In places like Shanghai, it's considered the place you get to after you go past BFE.

I'd call it country just for the fact that we've had bears pawing through garbage in the back of the pickup truck in front of the house on multiple occasions, and you get flak (not to mention probably starving) if you DON'T kill your own meat on a regular basis. Luckily, we just call it "living in the bush" so we can avoid all these confusing classifications.

Jack Squat
2007-08-12, 12:29 PM
Suburbs, soon to be city slicker (yay for living at college).

Dallas-Dakota
2007-08-12, 03:29 PM
Ehhhm.........city slicker, have to be if you live in Holland....unless there´s some project for green going around.

Jack Squat
2007-08-12, 09:54 PM
say, what would people title themselves if they were multiple?

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1443/0027.jpg

blackfox
2007-08-13, 08:04 AM
Small Town/Suburbia. I live in the suburbs of Charlottesville, VA, which is a town of about 50000 people, with another ~50000 in the county around it.

Serpentine
2007-08-13, 08:10 AM
The nearest city is 16 km away and has 110k inhabitants something. And we have a fairly large university, with some 30 000 students (yes, more than 25% of the population).

The funny thing is that it's the largest country in this half of the country.
My high school was 1/3 the size of the town, and there were also 2 primary schools. Also I think you might want to redo that sentence...

banjo1985
2007-08-13, 08:14 AM
City-slicker for me, techically I live in a town of about 70'000 but we're also part of Birmingham, Blighty's 2nd city, which bumps it up to 1'400'000! So yeah think that would be a city then...

Rykaj
2007-08-13, 09:52 AM
City slicker, all my life. Lived in three cities of over 150k inhabitants (that's big here). Our cities aren't as big though, even our capital doesn't reach one million. We just have a lot of cities everywhere, we are a very densely packed nation. Probably two thirds of the Dutch people are city slickers.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-13, 10:56 AM
lived in a Smalltown for a good bit of my life, now I live in the country, though its almost boondocks.

i can hike through the woods and hit a neighborhood in about 10 min though, so I guess its not quite there yet. I also have a couple neighbors. but the nearest gas station is like 10 miles away, and stores are even further. It takes at least 20 minutes to get anywhere worth going to in a car doing like 60 the entire time.

Telonius
2007-08-13, 11:11 AM
My hometown has about 100,000 people, but the way it's set up is like a big suburb with no urban area to be around. Currently smack in the middle of a big city, Washington DC. 580,000 within city limits, 5.8 million in the metro area (so says Wikipedia). So I'd have to say, city slicker.

KuReshtin
2007-08-13, 01:18 PM
Small town boy here.
Grew up in what I wouldn't even call a town. It's a village with about 1500 inhabitants.

Now, I live in a small town where you can get from one end of town to the other in about 15 minutes by foot.

I tried the big city once. Didn't like it. I want some peace and quiet around me.

Delaney Gale
2007-08-13, 01:39 PM
Depends on the time of year. Grew up splitting time between suburban Detroit and rural Ontario, lived in a smallish city for two years for college, currently live in a smallish town, will be moving to a major European city in less than a week :D... then going back to the smallish city to finish up undergrad.

As for what I prefer, give me public transit, skyscrapers, and city streets. I'm an urban creature.

Nightgaunt
2007-08-13, 01:44 PM
New York City baby. We can fit half the population of Canada in this bad boy. City Slicker all the way, but I couldn't survive in a lot of other cities. I've been to some 2nd and 3rd world cities, Mexico City, Hydrebad & Bangalore, Shanghai. It's tough, and not for language, it is the human pollution in those cities that really gets to you. Too much poverty is hard for me to swallow.

What is amazing about the city, is just how isolated you can be. It's weird if you move to a small town or suburb, because most of the time people just ignore you in a city. But in a small town people wave greetings, smile or even exchange pleasentries. Have to admit the first time I had to deal with that after aclimating to a city, it was real disjarring.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-13, 01:45 PM
I am a big city girl at heart (1 million +:smallwink:). Downtown, arts district, living in a high rise, all the way.

But don't get me wrong, I totally see the value of country living, where you can set up a bonfire in your backyard and invite your mates over for some revelery without any neighbors complaining.

Also, I was born and raised in a small town, and I am currently living in a small town. In spoooooky Wisconsin. :smallbiggrin:

And ^ Nightgaunt, I still have that small town attitude that I was grown with, even in big cities. I ain't got no problem being friendly to people. :smallsmile: *waves*

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-13, 01:51 PM
Pure country girl. The largest place I have ever lived in population wise is no more than 30 000 and I still live here. Not that that means much cos I'm only 16.
In my county our 'city' has a population of 50 000 and my entire county has 500 000 pop tops.
Although with these smeggy holiday homes...mutter...mumble...mutter...

EDIT: And because it's a small town about half the pop knows a member of my (very large) family or someone who knows them from the pub or work or whatever. It's very friendly here, and pretty much everywhere here.

Deepblue706
2007-08-13, 03:51 PM
Suburbs. A bit outside New York City. I drive, daily, on one of the most dangerous roads in the world. And, I am constantly surrounded by jackasses.

That said, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a different locale. Or at least, one with less people. While I happen to be somewhat reclusive, at times, it's nice to have others nearby, if in the background. Here, I have a variety of friends and neighbors I probably couldn't hope to have in a less populated area. Yeah, I might have to deal with some less-than-likeable people here, but I'd rather have some good and some bad than next-to-nothing.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-13, 04:15 PM
Born and bred city slicker :smallwink:.

potatocubed
2007-08-13, 04:29 PM
City Slicker all the way. I've been to the countryside often enough to know that there's nothing for me there except things that set off my hayfever. Give me pavement, buildings, live music and open stores 24/7. :smallsmile:

Yiel
2007-08-13, 05:32 PM
I am most definitely a City Slicker. I grew up in two of the most promoted beachside cities in Queensland and now live in the state's capital in the inner-city zone.

I did however used to spend many summer holidays about half a days drive from Charleville in the Central West of QLD. :smallredface: I learnt to drive in an old ute on large expanses of dirt in dried-up dams. Do I get some country cred for that?

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-13, 06:10 PM
I'm suburbs, but I'm looking forward to moving further in come university or my first place. I'm not an outdoorsy country sort of guy in the least, I adore the hustle, bustle and bright lights of the big city.

PhallicWarrior
2007-08-13, 09:05 PM
I'm a Suburbanite. Long Island is pretty much pure suburb, except on the east end (which is scattered towns), and the west end (whch is NYC).

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-13, 09:38 PM
These ninja info cards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjXmBmHAdk&mode=related&search=) are for those Narutards out there
(Especially Kabuto-lovers *cough* Moon-Called*cough*)

EDIT: Rural Suburbs. I swear I meant to put this in Random Banter!

bugsysservant
2007-08-13, 09:39 PM
Pure country girl. The largest place I have ever lived in population wise is no more than 30 000 and I still live here. Not that that means much cos I'm only 16.
In my county our 'city' has a population of 50 000 and my entire county has 500 000 pop tops.
Although with these smeggy holiday homes...mutter...mumble...mutter...

Snort. My entire STATE has about half a million. Despite what people here seem to think, I consider 30,000 bordering on small city, depending on its importance. (I consider Montpelier a city, for instance, not because of its 7000 people, but because of the fact that its the state capital.) My aunt who lives in LA couldn't believe that our entire state was one congressional district. Well, at least our votes count... *goes on mental tangent about the deficiencies of the electoral system*

Serpentine
2007-08-13, 10:07 PM
Now, I live in a small town where you can get from one end of town to the other in about 15 minutes by foot.
Been there, done that, would've been quicker to go along the highway or old railway tracks.