PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help creating Sun Wukong the monkey king for my next campaign.

Hotfoot
2017-08-26, 01:26 PM
So I decided to make a character based on Sun Wukong in my next DnD campaign. I've always loved his character and thought it would be fun to be him in the world of DnD. At first I immediately thought that the monk was the way to go. but the the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to be a immortal Mystic. It would let me check of lots of his different abilities.
Ability to shape shift into animals -check. Power of flight -check. Power to be nigh unkillable- check. Power to grow and shrink also check. The list just goes on and on for his odd list of abilities. There is only one problem. Being a Immortal Mystic is very demanding on stats, and as a subclass of the Mystic that seems to be designed to do melee they have very little options for martial weapons, namely pole arms which is what SWK would use. Also they already require a good Int, Con, and Dex, But if I wanna use a staff I also need a good Str. I rolled decent stats but not THAT good. These are my stats so far with my racial stats included.

str 14
con 16
dex 16
int 16
wis 13
cha 13

My DM said that we could make a background allowing me use of pole arms as a finesse weapon. I was curious if you guys had any other ideas of how I can use a pole arm? Or any ideas of how making Sun Wukong in general? Thanks in advance

Gignere
2017-08-26, 01:35 PM
So I decided to make a character based on Sun Wukong in my next DnD campaign. I've always loved his character and thought it would be fun to be him in the world of DnD. At first I immediately thought that the monk was the way to go. but the the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to be a immortal Mystic. It would let me check of lots of his different abilities.
Ability to shape shift into animals -check. Power of flight -check. Power to be nigh unkillable- check. Power to grow and shrink also check. The list just goes on and on for his odd list of abilities. There is only one problem. Being a Immortal Mystic is very demanding on stats, and as a subclass of the Mystic that seems to be designed to do melee they have very little options for martial weapons, namely pole arms which is what SWK would use. Also they already require a good Int, Con, and Dex, But if I wanna use a staff I also need a good Str. I rolled decent stats but not THAT good. These are my stats so far with my racial stats included.

str 14
con 16
dex 16
int 16
wis 13
cha 13

My DM said that we could make a background allowing me use of pole arms as a finesse weapon. I was curious if you guys had any other ideas of how I can use a pole arm? Or any ideas of how making Sun Wukong in general? Thanks in advance

Dip a level of monk voila staff with dex.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-26, 01:46 PM
Dip a level of monk voila staff with dex.

should probably go to a least 5th for extra attack and stunning strike. Sun soul is obvious choice.

Hotfoot
2017-08-26, 02:32 PM
A single dip into monk does seem to clear this problem right up!
So maybe I should start as a monk, then multiclass into a Mystic at level 2? Then maybe head back to monk later? I just feel like Mystic has more abilities that suit SWK. But starting as a monk makes sense, since I was planning on having him stripped of most of his power and having to learn it all again. Just not certain about spending 5 levels in monk.... but that stunning strike doe...

Gignere
2017-08-26, 02:34 PM
A single dip into monk does seem to clear this problem right up!
So maybe I should start as a monk, then multiclass into a Mystic at level 2? Then maybe head back to monk later? I just feel like Mystic has more abilities that suit SWK. But starting as a monk makes sense, since I was planning on having him stripped of most of his power and having to learn it all again. Just not certain about spending 5 levels in monk.... but that stunning strike doe...

To fully optimize ask DM to allow you to swap wis and str.

Hotfoot
2017-08-26, 02:44 PM
You mean switch my wis and str score? I can do that no prob. We haven't started yet and stats are still loose and can be switched around.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-26, 03:19 PM
By RAW, you can't get multiple Unarmored Defense features. So you probably want to start with Mystic, to get Dex+Con. Otherwise you'll be stuck pumping Wis for little return.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-26, 03:51 PM
By RAW, you can't get multiple Unarmored Defense features. So you probably want to start with Mystic, to get Dex+Con. Otherwise you'll be stuck pumping Wis for little return.

This only applies when the feature is the same name. Immortal durability can still apply regardless of level order

Hotfoot
2017-08-26, 05:13 PM
I talked to my DM about it and he still thinks the best way to go is just taking the text from monk martial arts ability and rolling into a custom background. So I may go that route, I'd still like some input on making the character in general. I'm a bit worried about how the character will function in practice,especially his durability, I do plan to give him Pole arm master at level 4, along with him being being an order of the Immortal Mystic, the the rest is uncertain. But If anyone else is familiar with SWK and know what I'm going for then your input is welcome. I'll post my potential build later though. Thanks

Unoriginal
2017-08-26, 06:07 PM
The Monk doesn't really fit Sun Wukong, though.

You might be better off with Barbarian.

Elric VIII
2017-08-26, 06:11 PM
3 levels of Kensai monk allow you to use dex with any 4 non-monk weapons.

Hotfoot
2017-08-27, 12:43 AM
The Monk doesn't really fit Sun Wukong, though.

You might be better off with Barbarian.

I think the Mystic fits him best actually, as it Gives you almost all of the abilities he is known for.