PDA

View Full Version : Does Deeper Darkvison grant sight in magical darkness?

Melcar
2017-08-26, 02:59 PM
As the tin...

Does Deeper Darkvision (the Spell compendium version) grant the ability to see in magical darkness, such as Deeper Darkness or Blacklight?

DrMotives
2017-08-26, 03:07 PM
Well, it does specifically say so in the description, even naming the two spells you did, so I'd assume yes.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-26, 03:07 PM
As the tin...

Does Deeper Darkvision grant the ability to see in magical darkness, such as Deeper Darkness or Blacklight?

Sort of. As of the updated printing in Spell Compendium is ignored the miss chance for shadowy illumination, so Deeper Darkness will have little effect on it (someone with certain Hide in Plain Sight variants could use it to hide still). It has no effect on Blacklight's darkness.

BTW consider the Simple RAW thread stickied up top for questions like this.

Melcar
2017-08-26, 03:13 PM
Well, it does specifically say so in the description, even naming the two spells you did, so I'd assume yes.

Also the Spell Compendium version?

Sort of. As of the updated printing in Spell Compendium is ignored the miss chance for shadowy illumination, so Deeper Darkness will have little effect on it (someone with certain Hide in Plain Sight variants could use it to hide still). It has no effect on Blacklight's darkness.

BTW consider the Simple RAW thread stickied up top for questions like this.

Ok so I cannot see in Blacklight? Is that what you try to say in the underscored part?

I'll try to remember to use the Simple RAW thread stickied next time for something like this!

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-26, 03:18 PM
Blacklight does not produce shadowy illumination so deeper darkvision will not see through it. Shadowy is the word you are looking for.

Melcar
2017-08-26, 03:29 PM
Blacklight does not produce shadowy illumination so deeper darkvision will not see through it. Shadowy is the word you are looking for.

SO only the Underdark version is really effective against all forms of magical darkness?... Which is kind of sad, since that has been updated or reduced to the spell compendium version...