PDA

View Full Version : Water Walk

Kolbur
2007-08-11, 09:12 AM
The Water Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/waterWalk.htm) spell lets you walk on water or other liquids as if it were firm ground, but what happens if you want to walk over a wild river? Do you have to walk against the flow to prevent beeing taken away like on an assembly line? Or what about a stormy sea with meter high waves, how would it influence the movement (I could imagine it being like on a trampoline)? Can you even get wet with the spell on?

AslanCross
2007-08-11, 09:19 AM
Mud, oil, snow, quicksand, running water, ice, and even lava can be traversed easily, since the subjects’ feet hover an inch or two above the surface.

I'd say the fast-flowing water won't act like a conveyor belt. Rapids, though, I'd still consider as difficult terrain. The stormy sea would probably affect one in the same way an earthquake would affect one on the ground. (Reflex save to avoid falling?)

As for getting wet, I'm sure you can still get splashed. If you fall over, you still might hit the surface but not go under.

Matthew
2007-08-11, 06:23 PM
Good question. I think that I would go with the answer given by AslanCross.

Kel_Arath
2007-08-13, 02:43 PM
:smallconfused: could you get curshed by a wave? I mean, the spell prevents you from passing through a surface of water, so if a big wave goes over you, then comes down, you wouldn't go through it. Ocean pancakes!

tainsouvra
2007-08-13, 02:48 PM
:smallconfused: could you get curshed by a wave? I mean, the spell prevents you from passing through a surface of water, so if a big wave goes over you, then comes down, you wouldn't go through it. Ocean pancakes! Well, it makes you hover just over the water, it doesn't make it utterly impassible to you...I'd say it had a really good chance of knocking you over, just like with anyone else hit by a big wave, but you couldn't be crushed (other than the normal way) since it's still a liquid.

Leicontis
2007-08-13, 03:07 PM
When hit by a wave, you'd probably either glide up the side of the wave and over it, or get hit by the wave but immediately buoy up to the surface. You'd certainly get wet, but you'd have a very difficult time staying in water long enough to be in danger of drowning.

Fixer
2007-08-13, 03:24 PM
As a GM (houserule), I'd say that a wave washing over a character with water walk would result in the PC getting wet, probably knocked prone (trip attempt vs. colossal 'creature' if the PC asks not to be), but quickly rises back to the surface where they can get up again. Waves that do not wash over are simply difficult terrain.

With regards to the rapids I agree with Aslancross. Treat as difficult terrain.

Kel_Arath
2007-08-13, 03:45 PM
:smallfrown: I think it'd be funnier if they got squished...

-Cor-
2007-08-13, 03:48 PM
If you cast Water Walk while underwater you simply float at some movement speed to the surface of the water. It's all right there in the spell description.

So, I'd have to say no, you couldn't be crushed by a wave. And there's also nothing saying that someone making a grapple check couldn't pull you back under either.

Jothki
2007-08-13, 05:56 PM
That would also probably mean that you'd get a cool springy effect if you jump while on the water.

Matthew
2007-08-14, 01:45 AM
I would rule that the wave would knock you over, no doubt. The Spell only lets you walk on water as though it was ground, if a huge wave of earth was unleashed against you wouldn't automatically surf over it.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-14, 09:17 AM
Now imagine the applications during heavy rainfall... :smallbiggrin:

Citizen Joe
2007-08-14, 09:55 AM
Easiest way to imagine it, think of it as a surfboard.