2017-08-26, 05:08 PM
Just pointing this out to everyone

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-survey

8wGremlin
2017-08-26, 05:19 PM
Done. Thank you.

Ravinsild
2017-08-26, 05:28 PM
I had no idea. Thanks for alerting me. These are some cool questions! Hopefully they bear fruit, like D&D animated movie or TV show on Netflix or something and more campaign settings and book support.

scalyfreak
2017-08-26, 05:44 PM
Done.

Now, what will I have to sacrifice, and to which deity, to ensure this leads to 5e source books for Planescape?

Scathain
2017-08-26, 06:56 PM
Omg I hope they take this seriously, because some Spelljammer/Planescape material would be absolutely dope. Really anything non-FR would be a nice change.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-26, 07:21 PM
More i need planescape and spelljammer

Tetrasodium
2017-08-26, 07:23 PM
Voted on it last night when I noticed keith baker's tweet (https://twitter.com/HellcowKeith/status/901264500199960576). I want to see 5e eberron stuff starting already.

DracoKnight
2017-08-26, 08:22 PM
Welp, I've done my duty. Let's hope for the best :smallsmile:

What's the mathematical probability of them listening and actually giving us Eberron, Dragonlance and Planescape?

2D8HP
2017-08-26, 08:38 PM
Did it, I was particularly interested that they had "different settings" (Arthurian, Feudal Japan, Vikings, etc.) as a question.

Spiderguy24
2017-08-26, 08:39 PM

What's the mathematical probability of them listening and actually giving us Eberron, Dragonlance and Planescape?

The optimist in me wants to give them a chance. The realist however is trying to multiply 0 by 0.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-08-26, 08:39 PM
Done. Give me Eberron or give me death.

scalyfreak
2017-08-26, 08:49 PM
Did it, I was particularly interested that they had "different settings" (Arthurian, Feudal Japan, Vikings, etc.) as a question.

...and now I really want Vikings in Sigil to happen.

Telwar
2017-08-26, 09:00 PM
The optimist in me wants to give them a chance. The realist however is trying to multiply 0 by 0.

I figure Eberron is likely, followed by Planescape. Spelljammer...they may think that would be confused with Starfinder.

I voted Birthright, myself.

Sigreid
2017-08-26, 09:06 PM

One in a number mortals cannot conceive?

Anderlith
2017-08-27, 12:47 AM
I feel like the one about different settings (vikings, faction city, etc) might be them fishing to start a new setting. If so Mythic Rome has my vote.

Ravinsild
2017-08-27, 12:55 AM
I thought those were questions about new splatbooks. Don't they always have like "oriental adventures" and stuff like that for Asian flavors and so forth? I figured they were just asking what splatbook would you like to see? Pirates? Vikings? Romans? Samurai? Maybe a handful in like a "Super Martial Book For All Martials" and have a Gladiator subclass for Fighter and so on, an updated berserker for Barbarian with viking flavor, and so forth?

Isn't it pretty common knowledge most people avoid Berserker due to the cost of fatigue/exhaustion?

Edit: I voted for Dark Sun, Eberron and Points of Light settings LOL. Based on responses for what people want to see here there's 0% chance I'll see anything in 5e unless it lasts as long as 3.x did.

Hollysword
2017-08-27, 01:20 AM
Two things I'm really hoping for:

Feudal Japan setting
Succubus playable race

Add both, and I'd pay anything to get the book(s).

Anderlith
2017-08-27, 01:23 AM
Two things I'm really hoping for:

Feudal Japan setting
Succubus playable race

Add both, and I'd pay anything to get the book(s).
Is tiefling not enough? Do you really need specialized stats/traits to play a sexual predator demon?

Baptor
2017-08-27, 01:34 AM
Done.

Now, what will I have to sacrifice, and to which deity, to ensure this leads to 5e source books for Planescape?

Now see this is where we've been going wrong, cutter. If we want a Planescape setting, we don't need to be grovelin for the Powers, we need to be makin the Lady happy, see? Course the best way to make the Lady happy is not to really talk about her nor make a big deal out of it, which I may have just done.

Barmy. Look, I can't stay and rattle my bone box. I've got to give her the laugh now before I get mazed. Cheers! :smallcool:

Tetrasodium
2017-08-27, 02:50 AM
I feel like the one about different settings (vikings, faction city, etc) might be them fishing to start a new setting. If so Mythic Rome has my vote.

That's one possibility, but the other more terrifying one is that they revive some region of faerun fitting one of those cultures and force it as is into every other setting

EvilAnagram
2017-08-27, 03:21 AM
That's one possibility, but the other more terrifying one is that they revive some region of faerun fitting one of those cultures and force it as is into every other setting

... and here I was being hopeful. Now I see what's going on here.

Tetrasodium
2017-08-27, 04:02 AM
... and here I was being hopeful. Now I see what's going on here.

A dollar says sahuahin or tge triton(?) out of volos turn out to be secretly ancient viking/asian/roman/rtc culture. Too many folks from wotc have said things about underwater games/cultures /etc over the last several months. I'm sure we will get some setting, just not so sure what awjward & ill fitting shape will be bolted onto the hull

Hrugner
2017-08-27, 04:14 AM
Spelljammer...they may think that would be confused with Starfinder.

That may be considered a benefit from a marketing standpoint.

DanyBallon
2017-08-27, 07:49 AM
Survey filled! But I'm prepared to be disapointed, not because they won't listen, but mostly because I don't expect being part of the majority :smalltongue:
I voted for Darksun, Dragon Lance and Greyhawk; I don't care much about the other setting, especially Eberron... Same goes for Mythic Rome and oriental setting, that don't appeal to me. And as for derivative products, I don't want them to spend ressources other than on the RPG line.

Again, I'm far from being the majority, so fear not Eberron's fans, I'm hoping that they'll listen to you and you can get you setting update :smallsmile:

EvilAnagram
2017-08-27, 07:55 AM
My big fear is that people who are new to D&D thanks to 5e won't know about any setting but FR and weigh the survey towards it. People are psychologically biased to like things they're exposed to frequently, and the only setting that WotC consistently pushes is the Realms.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-27, 09:15 AM
Well filled it out, crossing my fingers for some Planescape or Dark Sun releases within the next couple of years. I hope they take my response 'I own one book and am not interested in the rest' as the 'you ain't putting out stuff I like, please broaden slightly' it is.

I put 'actually interested' at single city state and Mythic Greece/Rome, because I like settings that focus on one place and those two go together. I'd love a good Imperial Rome or Roman Republic game or setting, if you can point me at one that already exists (or even a good Ancient Egyptian setting, I just want a good Bronze Age setting/game).

kingheff1
2017-08-27, 09:35 AM
Voted for greyhawk, spelljammer and dark sun amongst other things.
I'd quite like to see a campaign guide for the ancient real world stuff too, with new low/minimal magic reworks of many of the classes that can be used for homebrew campaigns too.
I'd love to see some quality animated entertainment based on d&d too, maybe movies or series based on classic games or adventures.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-27, 09:45 AM
I wonder if I'm the only one who asked them to stop MM from trying to write more "interesting" rules.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-27, 09:46 AM
Does this mean they're thinking about new films/TV series? I'd love it if they're as hilariously bad as the previous ones!

ZorroGames
2017-08-27, 09:58 AM
Replied to email from WOTC about survey first thing this morning - Out of Town Friday/Saturday - and I commented that I would definitely buy something India or Persia related and probably buy anything Southeast Asia related setting wise. Not expecting this but since they asked for comments...

Eberron had yet to prove itself to me, so no, just no.

Greyhawk maybe because I am an "old" player.

Dark Sun, never in a thousand years.

Birthright too low a priority for me to bother pretending being interested.

SpellJammer - rather play a real SFRPG instead.

Expecting Rome, Greece, or Scandinavia in FR instead. Sigh. I like FR in AL (I ignore the setting specific bits) but it is what it is.

ZorroGames
2017-08-27, 10:00 AM
My big fear is that people who are new to D&D thanks to 5e won't know about any setting but FR and weigh the survey towards it. People are psychologically biased to like things they're exposed to frequently, and the only setting that WotC consistently pushes is the Realms.

Vox Populi

Anderlith
2017-08-27, 10:35 AM
Something i fear is a crappy netflix anime about Drizzt. What i want is something with quality & strong characters that doesnt go full tumblr.

Naanomi
2017-08-27, 10:36 AM
They did ask how long you had played; so they will at least be aware of there is such a bias between new and old players on setting preferences

Vingelot
2017-08-27, 12:23 PM
Personally, I was always thinking of the different styles (arthurian, japan, etc.) more of relating to classes than an entire setting.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-27, 12:27 PM
Something i fear is a crappy netflix anime about Drizzt. What i want is something with quality & strong characters that doesnt go full tumblr.

Yeah, what we need is a good anime about an interesting group of adventurers. I'd just want whatever they're doing to be animated so the visuals can be suitably impressive, especially if it's a TV show.

scalyfreak
2017-08-27, 12:32 PM
Now see this is where we've been going wrong, cutter. If we want a Planescape setting, we don't need to be grovelin for the Powers, we need to be makin the Lady happy, see? Course the best way to make the Lady happy is not to really talk about her nor make a big deal out of it, which I may have just done.

Barmy. Look, I can't stay and rattle my bone box. I've got to give her the laugh now before I get mazed. Cheers! :smallcool:

Yeah, I'm a leatherhead at times.

My bad.

LaserFace
2017-08-27, 12:38 PM
We need Spelljammer Vikings.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-27, 01:14 PM

https://orig14.deviantart.net/86b2/f/2010/070/1/e/space_viking_by_quadrilinearfilter.jpg

DracoKnight
2017-08-27, 02:31 PM
Yeah, what we need is a good anime about an interesting group of adventurers. I'd just want whatever they're doing to be animated so the visuals can be suitably impressive, especially if it's a TV show.

Done in the style (although maybe not the tone) of the Netflix adaptation of Castlevania, I would love a D&D Anime.

https://orig14.deviantart.net/86b2/f/2010/070/1/e/space_viking_by_quadrilinearfilter.jpg

F*ck. YES.

Tetrasodium
2017-08-27, 06:25 PM
I can't wait for "Hey bob 100% of our splatbooks, adventure modules, advrtising, & pretty much 100% of our rthird party licensed content is fine, turns out people like what they know, so no reason to put any effort into adapting khorvaire scape, plane jammer, dark lance or whatever they were." lets get started on some more FR content already

Sigreid
2017-08-27, 07:09 PM
Done in the style (although maybe not the tone) of the Netflix adaptation of Castlevania, I would love a D&D Anime.

I don't know how anyone who as seen any of the D&D movies can expect them to produce anything for t.v. without it being sent by elder gods from the far realms to twist and ultimately destroy our souls.

Hollysword
2017-08-27, 11:02 PM
Is tiefling not enough? Do you really need specialized stats/traits to play a sexual predator demon?

At the moment I use tieflings, yeah. I'd still like to use my actual succubus ranger from 3.5. Good succubus, not evil.

Kane0
2017-08-27, 11:21 PM
Survey filled, but was disappointed to see no 'new original setting' as an option.

You know what made Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, etc fun and exciting? They were new and original.
5e needs a setting or three to call its own rather than recycling classics for the rest of it's life.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-28, 04:16 AM
Survey filled, but was disappointed to see no 'new original setting' as an option.

You know what made Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, etc fun and exciting? They were new and original.
5e needs a setting or three to call its own rather than recycling classic for the rest of it's life.

Fixed that for you :smalltongue:

But yeah, but if we won't get new I'd at least settle for different. While I wouldn't mind seeing Greyhawk, it's the same kind of fantasy setting as FR is. So something like Planescape, Spelljammer, Eberron, or Dark Sun, where one or more of the core assumptions are changed (Earthlike world, restricted to one planet, medieval society with no magical revolution, or world is not a Baatorhole). But yeah, I would take something new over that, I actually got to like the Nentir Vale because it was new but it blended with the rules so well, 5e seems to be bending the rules to fit with FR rather than make a setting that fits.

DracoKnight
2017-08-28, 05:27 AM
I don't know how anyone who as seen any of the D&D movies can expect them to produce anything for t.v. without it being sent by elder gods from the far realms to twist and ultimately destroy our souls.

See...here's the thing: I purposefully avoided those. And I believe that with the standard set forth by shows like Castlevania, like Game of Thrones, to the point where most people today are open to fantasy/dark fantasy for adults, that a D&D show could be good. If anything I feel it has to be good, if the brand wants to survive in the public eye. Yeah, us tabletop gamers will always love it, but a bad TV show could ruin the good will that shows like Critical Role and other streams have built up with the general populace.

Now, I'm not speaking to the quality of Critical Role or other D&D streams, I'm just saying that I've heard lots of people who've never played D&D, or who have openly reviled D&D, watch Critical Role and go: "Hey, maybe that's not such a bad game, after all. Maybe I'll try it out."

Sigreid
2017-08-28, 09:00 AM
See...here's the thing: I purposefully avoided those. And I believe that with the standard set forth by shows like Castlevania, like Game of Thrones, to the point where most people today are open to fantasy/dark fantasy for adults, that a D&D show could be good. If anything I feel it has to be good, if the brand wants to survive in the public eye. Yeah, us tabletop gamers will always love it, but a bad TV show could ruin the good will that shows like Critical Role and other streams have built up with the general populace.

Now, I'm not speaking to the quality of Critical Role or other D&D streams, I'm just saying that I've heard lots of people who've never played D&D, or who have openly reviled D&D, watch Critical Role and go: "Hey, maybe that's not such a bad game, after all. Maybe I'll try it out."
My comment was directly about WOTC doing it well instead of the dorky, cheesy, lowest budget and worst writing and acting possible they typically do.

DizzyWood
2017-08-28, 10:22 AM
So my comment was basically, quit milking FR for all its worth give us 1 or 2 large splat books to cover the whole thing and move on to something ANYTHING different. Please for love of the gods!

ZorroGames
2017-08-28, 02:24 PM

5e needs a setting or three to call its own rather than recycling classics for the rest of it's life.

Agreed. Playing old "classics" may not sell well with new players and WOTC is a business.