PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Freeform Spellcasting and Spell-Twisting

Asmotherion
2017-08-26, 06:11 PM
Whole new setting I'm introducing to my players and with it, I want to include some fresh ideas. We already used an other form of freeform spellcasting in an other DM's campain, and everyone seems to love the idea, so I decided to include it.

Some informations you need beforehand:

First of all, it's a heavy RP game, so I don't really mind encounter dificulty changing, power balance etc, as long as it's not too dramatic. It's going to be avalable to all casters, and players are noticed beforehand, wile being a caster in said setting has both advantages and disadvantages.

Second of all, since it's a heavy RP game, I have specific spellcasting processes for each class. Bards must describe what they wish to accomplish through their art of choice (the most simple example would be a poem-like verse, accompanied by their instrument), including the arcane words into it, if there is a verbal component. A Sorcerer on the other hand would simply need to say out loud what he wishes to accomplish with a firm and deccisive tone (and some arcane words in the begining of the phrase), or just visualise it, if the spell has no verbal components... Specifics have been made for every spellcasting class.

Now, about freeform spellcasting. What I mean about it, is spellcasting with no spells (but by still using spell slots obviously). The player describes to me (either out of game or in game depending on the situation) what he wants to do with his magic, and I set various DCs. He rolls a Spellcasting Check, and deppending on what he rolls, I describe to him what happens, what level spell slot he used (he has no control over it) etc. It should by no means be a win-win situation however, instead just be there to make magic more interesting to explore for the brave hearted mages. I want it to include the following elements:

-Knowlage of similar spells.
-What level the spell should be
-If the spell is a level the caster does not have spell slots for, the caster takes 1d10x spell level necrotic damage as the caster's life force fuels the magic, and the spell takes effect after the damage is taken, and only if the caster is still alive.
-This necrotic damage can result in some forms of necromancy, as well as other forms of negative effects on the caster. It is advised to always treat with caution.
-Various DCs can augment or diminish the result. A particulary low DC (for example a natural 1, or lower than 10 on a spell of a school the caster has no spells known (or studied in his spellbook/ever prepared by his Deity etc) can make the spell backfire and have it's negative results be cast on the caster and/or alies or beneficial results cast on the enemy.
-Alternativelly, I may make it work the same way as using spell scrolls, rolling on custom made random tables in case of failure. I love custom made random tables. :)

Alright, this is the basic chasis. Now, what exactly are spells:

Spells are basically ancient magic with a very stable form. So stable in fact, that once one has learned how to master the meanings of the arcane words that form the spell (in case of no verbal components, the spell may be represented by something other than a word such as a monument or a constellation the caster needs to visualise wile casting the spell), there is no chance of arcane failure. Based on this knowlage, spellcasters have access to safer, more stable way to cast spells (they still need to describe what they want to do, but if it falls under the basic use of a spell, they don't need to roll a spellcasting check to succeed.).

I want some DM feedback on this. Thank you :)