PDA

View Full Version : Roy [spoiler]

yoshi927
2007-08-11, 09:21 AM
There was some talk a while back about him being rez'ed with some sort of PrC or being more powerful somehow. I just thought of something, and it might actually work with Roy.

The Giant came up with a prestige class called "Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon". (here (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/xJ1VzXrzTxbe9Z8rXIV.html)) Roy fits pretty well. He has a masterwork or even magical weapon used regularly by his grandfather. It's hard to get around all the item-crafting prerequisites (ability to cast "Greater Magic Weapon", for instance), but there might be a way. (I don't think it's in Roy's idiom to take spellcaster levels, and even if he did that he wouldn't have many levels left when he got the third-level spell. I remember reading about a spell that lets you give a spell or two to another creature, and they can cast it at will one time. Would that be the same thing?) But, I'm serious, Roy is fairly set up for this. He has his magic ancestral greatsword, and he's even got the spirit of his grandfather, who was apparently a great warrior, and he's now in a position to meet.

lokycat
2007-08-11, 10:58 AM
The Giant can prob do that but talking stricly "CORE" he cant.

Giving the ability to cast the spell and the spell casting ability to be able to cast the spell by your own power. When a prestige class tells you you need to have the spell "blank" you bee to be able to cast it with out anyones help.:smallwink:

Ruduen
2007-08-11, 11:04 AM
Dashing Swordsman is hardly core, though, is it?

I think this idea has been brought up before, with one of the main arguments against it being that he doesn't have the ability to cast GMW. I'm not sure about if he would have the 8 ranks in craft and the CMA&A feat.

Still, it's still possible. But, considering his strenuous relationship with his father, it wouldn't really be the best relationship, would it?

Not to mention, half of the time, a major benefit of the prestige class is the +1 spellcaster level. Even if he DID get GMW as a spell-like ability or something, it would be a bit pointless to take the class.

Also, another interesting point: What alignment do you think Roy's father is? The ancestor has to be within 1 alignment, and that might come up.

yoshi927
2007-08-11, 11:11 AM
Well, it would be his grandfather. But, like I said, Greater Magic Weapon is the biggest problem. It's a third-level spell, which means four or five levels down the drain just to get it.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-11, 01:18 PM
yah, and what about all the spellcasting levels? and the fact that he never notices certain things, despite all his senses....I doubt he has this PrC but it's possibel i suppose.

yoshi927
2007-08-11, 01:24 PM
I'm not saying he has it, I'm saying he might get it. And it's getting amusing how everyone's saying that that's not true because he'd need spellcasting levels, when I said that in the first place. :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2007-08-11, 02:05 PM
Also, another interesting point: What alignment do you think Roy's father is? The ancestor has to be within 1 alignment, and that might come up.

On the Origins of PCs and Start of Darkness Spoilers:

Eugene Greenhilt is confirmed to be Lawful Good. Roy mentions that he is Lawful in Origins, and we see Eugene in the Lawful Good heaven at the end of SoD. Well sorta. :smalltongue:

Just goes to show that even though people can have the same alignment, they can have radically different personalities.

yoshi927
2007-08-11, 03:00 PM

Eugene Greenhilt is confirmed to be Lawful Good. Roy mentions that he is Lawful in Origins, and we see Eugene in the Lawful Good heaven at the end of SoD. Well sorta. :smalltongue:

Just goes to show that even though people can have the same alignment, they can have radically different personalities.

Ahem; it would be his grandfather. His father probably didn't use the sword that much.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-11, 07:55 PM
I'm not saying he has it, I'm saying he might get it. And it's getting amusing how everyone's saying that that's not true because he'd need spellcasting levels, when I said that in the first place. :smallbiggrin:

I meant what about the spellcasting level bonuses granted by the class, i know if I took a PrC like that I'd make sure to take at least one level of a spellcasting class first, to make it worth it. And yet roy has shown enough int. to do that, and has shown no spellcasting powers.

- but my point is moot anyways.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-11, 08:06 PM

WHAT?!

I had always figured Roy's dad was Chaotic Neutral. He doesn't act Lawful Good from what I've seen.

krai
2007-08-11, 09:44 PM
This would fit my idea
Roy will be resed and lose a lv and then decide to relpace it with a prestige class lv

Porthos
2007-08-11, 10:15 PM
WHAT?!

I had always figured Roy's dad was Chaotic Neutral. He doesn't act Lawful Good from what I've seen.

Just because you're a Bad (or Passable) Father, it doesn't mean you can't be Good. :smalltongue:

Remember, all we have really seen from Eugene in the Main Comic is his dealings with Roy. And to say that they have a strained relationship would be putting it mildly. But look at Comic #292 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0292.html). How do you think he was on a First Name Basis with an Being of Cosmic Good, if he wasn't kickin' it in the Good Planes?

So is Eugene the type of guy that would try to mold his son in to a Carbon Copy of himself? Yep. And is he the type of guy who is dismissive and sarcastic of people who don't measure up to his standards? Again, yep. But none of that makes you ineligible for a Lawful Good alignment. After all, Roy can be exceedingly sarcastic and brusque with people at times (look at his dealings with Elan). Yet his Lawful Good credentials aren't really in doubt.

Ever wonder why Roy acts the way he does around Elan? It's because that sort of behavior is now second nature to him after having it constantly be a presence in his life as he was growing up. Roy might have Father/Son issues with his Dad.... But he is far more like his Dad than he will ever want to admit. Anyway, Lawful Good (despite what a certain Azure City Paladin would have you believe) does not mean Faultless. You can have LG people who are rude, argumentative, short-sighted, and self-absorbed.

And before you get into the whole "deceiving Azure City Justice System" argument, I'll just point you down to my sig. Lawful Good people can be just as duplicitous and sneaky as anyone else can be, when the situation calls for it. Now an argument could be made that fixing a trail is hardly a LG act. And I would agree. But what if you were fixing a fake trial? After all, without Eugene's interference, there would be no trial. The trial was fake from beginning to end. So, in reality, this was nothing more than a play or a Staged Production if you will. And, don't forget, Roy decided to go along with the deception after the trial, because of the stakes involved. So, there's another LG guy participating in a Legal Deception (and Durkon really didn't seem to mind either). :smallwink:

Now was what Eugene did the best way to go about this? Of course not. But no one ever said that Eugene was really good at inter-personal relations. :smalltongue:

Finally, we really can't get that much of a handle on Eugene's alignment for a reason I alluded to above. What have we actually seen of him? We see that he has a very strained relationship with his son, and we see that he fixed a fake trial. But in SoD, we also see that he cares deeply for his family , and that he seemed (from what little we saw if it) close to his Adventuring Friends.

I would say that we really haven't seen enough of Eugene Greenhilt to pass an Alignment Judgement on him. The biggest strike is the Fake Trial. But who knows what else he has done in his life to counteract that. And that's if you even consider taking part in the deception an Alignment Violation. Coz if it is, then, as I alluded to above, both Durkon and Roy got Alignment Hits for taking part in the ruse after the fake trial was over.

Oberon
2007-08-12, 02:39 AM
The giant already used one bizarre, non-standard, made-up-by-himself prestige class (Dashing Swordsman) in this comic, so I don't thinks its likely for him to do it again. One is enough. If the order gets any new classes, they'll probably be core.

yoshi927
2007-08-12, 11:13 AM
Actually, Eugene suggests that Roy can cast cantrips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html). Just throwing that out there about the Greater Magic Weapon. (It's not a cantrip, but Roy might have some spellcasting)

Andre Fairchilde
2007-08-12, 11:16 AM
Regarding Roy's fathers alignment - I'm pretty convinced he's Chaotic Good. At least I always thought of him as Chaotic Good. LG does fit very well in fact. He adventured for years, and we don't know his full background. Either way, he supports a greater cause than himself, but manipulates those around him to effect it.

factotum
2007-08-12, 11:43 AM
Actually, Eugene suggests that Roy can cast cantrips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html). Just throwing that out there about the Greater Magic Weapon. (It's not a cantrip, but Roy might have some spellcasting)

I don't think it implies that at all. He's just saying "you'll be back become a wizard when the fighter thing doesn't work out"--it doesn't imply Roy has already learnt any cantrips at all.