PDA

View Full Version : Awaken Spell

AKA_Bait
2007-08-11, 10:02 AM
Ok, so I really like the Living Spell Template from MMIII and I really like the concept of awakened things. So, here is my attempt to get the best of both worlds. Constructive criticism requested!

-----------------------------------------------
Awaken Spell
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sorc 7
Components: V, S, DF, XP
Casting Time: 24 Hours
Range: Touch
Target: One Living Spell
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You awaken a Living Spell (MMIII) to humanlike sentience. To succeed, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + the Living Spell's current HD).

The awakened spell is usually neutral toward you. You have no special empathy or connection with a spel you awaken, although it usually serves you in specific tasks or endeavors if you communicate your desires to it. The exception to this is if the spell awakened carries an opposing alignment before it is awakened. For example, a Lawful Good Wizard could awaken a Living Blasphemy but, since the Living Blasphemy had an evil descriptor before it was awakened it would not automatically aide him in tasks.

An awakened spell's Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are now each 3d6. Its type remains Ooze. An awakened spell can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.

An awakened spell can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any).

The newly awakened spell's alignment remains the same as it was at the time of it's creation, although as it is now a sapient creature its alignment may change over time.

XP Cost
250 XP.

brian c
2007-08-11, 08:22 PM
Well, first off, it's good overall. I was kinda hoping that it would be a spell to create living spells, but I like this idea too. Two comments though

1) Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal)
Since Living Spells have the type Ooze, this should be augmented Ooze, or maybe something different altogether.

2) This spell must be cast when engulfed within the spell which is its target.
This doesn't really make sense; even a Living Blasphemy doesn't have an area, it's a medium, large or huge sized ooze. If the idea was what I thought before, creating a living spell, then this requirement works. As it is, the spell would work best as just a normal Touch range spell.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-12, 03:44 PM
1) Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal)
Since Living Spells have the type Ooze, this should be augmented Ooze, or maybe something different altogether.

Fixed. I just decided that it's type doesn't change to anything. The Summoning Ooze (MMIII) which was magically created, if accidentally, is just Ooze so I suppose an Awakened Spell would be too.

2) This spell must be cast when engulfed within the spell which is its target.
This doesn't really make sense; even a Living Blasphemy doesn't have an area, it's a medium, large or huge sized ooze. If the idea was what I thought before, creating a living spell, then this requirement works. As it is, the spell would work best as just a normal Touch range spell.

Fixed. I wanted it to be unlikley for this spell to be used to neutralize a particularly nasty living spell threat, so I changed the attitude of the ooze to neutral and added that it does not automatically follow simple commands if asked when it has an opposing alignment descriptor.

TheLogman
2007-08-12, 08:12 PM
Wouldn't this allow Living Spells to gain Character Levels? That would be AWESOME. An Awakened Fireball, that's also a Fighter, a GRAPPLING FIGHTER, would rule HARD. Oh, now you're stuck, and ON FIRE! So, ummm, ya, that's cool.

Xefas
2007-08-12, 08:23 PM
Santified Living Blasphemy Fax-Paladins

Oh yes...gives me all sorts of adventure ideas.

"Heironeous, I apologize for being a living sin against your doctrines made manifest, but...er...can I get a Holy Sword spell?...ummm...please?"

AKA_Bait
2007-08-13, 07:17 AM
I'm glad all like it! I just wanted to check with regards to balance etc. Awakening a spell is pretty darn powerful, since yes, it could get class levels, and I've pegged this as a level 7 spell (one higher than Awaken). Not sure if that is too low.

TheLogman
2007-08-13, 08:39 AM
Wait, it gains no Wisdom score? Shouldn't it gain a wisdom score? As for Charisma, 1d3 seems a little too little. Doesn't the awaken spell give 3d6 to all three attributes?

AKA_Bait
2007-08-13, 09:44 AM
Awaken (http://http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) gives that if the target is a tree but gives the one I've used if it is an animal. I don't have any particular reason to pick the animal one over the tree one except that, in my fuzzy brain, animals seem closer to oozes than trees. Although, the more I think about it the less sense that makes as the reason for the diffrence is probably that Animals have a decent wisdom and charisma score to begin with. Oozes not so much.

Fixed.

DanielLC
2007-09-05, 07:10 PM
How about some information on what a living spell is for those of us that don't have MMIII?

Edit: I posted before I realized this was an old page. Sorry for the thread necromancy.

TheLogman
2007-09-05, 08:02 PM
It's an Ooze that kind of looks like a spell, but when it slams, or Engulfs you, you take regular damage, and the spell that it is automatically effects you as if it had been cast. So, A living Color Spray would hit you with Color Spray every time it slammed you, or every turn you're inside it.

Plus, is it Necroing if its someone else's Homebrew? I dunno, it might not be.