PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Adventurers League Skald (Newbies help to making a warlord like character)

sage20500
2017-08-27, 02:33 AM
I'm currently somewhat new to 5e and have been participating in a local adventurers league the past 2 weeks. I currently have a character that just turned level 2, but after talking with some new friends there my initial interests of playing a high elf eldritch knight have waned very much, and after one particular game of having a random player join in as a "support" character, I'm now kind of interested in building better combatant who can provide adequate support to my potential teammates while standing in the thick of combat. Essentially I'm looking for trying to capture the Bravura Warlord type of feel from 4e if at all possible.

Currently, character's stats are 16 Str, 10 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, and 16 Cha. Race is now Half Elf-Moon Elf subtype-using the option to trade skills out for a cantrip: unsure whether I should take greenflame blade or booming blade (local adventurers league said that I'm free to change anything aside from the characters name up till level 4). Original starting class was Fighter, but I'm now currently unsure if I would rather do a mix of Battlemaster Fighter X/Valor or Lore Bard X; Paladin X/Valor or Lore Bard X; or some combination of Battlemaster Fighter X/Bard X/Paladin X.

From what I've seen, all of the 3 different options have some interesting and unique features I could pick up, battlemaster maneuvers help with setting up other allies, Valor Bards can cast a spell and then attack something in the same turn (I'm guessing there is a combination that can applied there if you use paladin smite spells), Paladins get smite, smite spells, and the ever useful level 6 ability of adding your Cha to all saves so that you can be a better tank.

So here is where I'm at a loss. For a player that doesn't really care as much about being a high level caster (the bard side is mostly for the utility that some spells can bring to helping keep my allies alive), what are some recommendations from more experienced players about building a melee focused Skald that is fun for both the player and the group? Equipment wise, with the rebuilding of my character if I started off as a Paladin 1, I currently have a Glaive as my primary attack weapon, and I'm holding onto a maul for if ever there is a reason that I feel like the character would be pissed off enough to drop her spear and proceed to start trying to smash said person into the ground.

bluthunda
2017-08-27, 03:24 AM
I see the battlemaster multiclassing and just wanted to let you know that the Martial Adept feat can get you 2 of the battlemasters manuvers and a superiority die for use on said manuvers as well so you wouldn't have to use 3 levels in fighter and could put those into Paladin or Bard.

I also like the idea of support characters and Bards really have a good kit for it, not to dis paladins but I would Bards outshine Pallys in support unless you only need a little support and more damage because Pallys can really pump it out.

My warlock/paladin with a long sword Green Flame Blade and smite hits for 4 or 5 D8 at level 5 as it stands right now .

Arelai
2017-08-27, 03:42 AM
I just made a post about a bardlemaster here the other day.

Bard 5 / Fighter-Battlemaster 3
^You have 9d8's here that refresh on short rests, and level 3 support spells.

Point buy for 15CHA, 15STR, 14CON
Variant Human and take martial adept feat(for the BM die) and now you have 2 16 stats. Start fighter, take a level of bard for your 3d6's of bardic inspiration. So you have 4 'support' dice. Get to Battlemaster, now you have 8. 4th level in bard gets you ASI in cha for a 4d6, 5d8. At 5th level bard you're inspiration die also refresh on short rest and become d8's. Take another level in fighter and ASI your CHA to get to 10d8-or take level 6 in bard for the extra attack(not as dope as an extra d8 IMO.)

Go college of swords if UA is allowed!! Not much of a melee combatant with 1 attack, but it gets its job done. You can use BM dice to give someone else a +1d8 attack instead, or give yourself advantage+1d8 on the atk, rally for temp HP, etc. College of swords can wield a shield and weapon while still casting, and use BI dice to inspire themselves, to raise their AC(which is nuts if you're in full plate with a shield) and do a couple other thing for their self.

Edit: Didn't remember it's for AL, so prolly no UA-but valor bard works fine. Use your shield as a 1d4 improvised weapon if you have to attack. That's RAW. Lore is good too-at level 6 you can get a couple special spells to flavor your build however you want to.

Specter
2017-08-27, 10:25 AM
From a beginner's perspective, I'd keep it straight Valor Bard without multiclassing. The Bard spell list is great for support (Faerie Fire, Healing Word, Enhance Ability, Greater Invisibility...).

As far as weapons go, you can be both a Great Weapon Master or a Sharpshooter, and you'll do great. Avoid shields because you want a free hand for casting.

At level 6, you'll get Extra Attack so you can attack decently, especially when you run out of spells.

At level 10, you'll already have a feel for what your group needs so you can grab some nice magical secrets that make everyone happy (can't go wrong with Counterspell and Circle of Power).

If you get bored of Bard after some 6 or 10 levels, Paladin is there for you.

Citan
2017-08-27, 11:52 AM
I'm currently somewhat new to 5e and have been participating in a local adventurers league the past 2 weeks. I currently have a character that just turned level 2, but after talking with some new friends there my initial interests of playing a high elf eldritch knight have waned very much, and after one particular game of having a random player join in as a "support" character, I'm now kind of interested in building better combatant who can provide adequate support to my potential teammates while standing in the thick of combat. Essentially I'm looking for trying to capture the Bravura Warlord type of feel from 4e if at all possible.

Currently, character's stats are 16 Str, 10 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, and 16 Cha. Race is now Half Elf-Moon Elf subtype-using the option to trade skills out for a cantrip: unsure whether I should take greenflame blade or booming blade (local adventurers league said that I'm free to change anything aside from the characters name up till level 4). Original starting class was Fighter, but I'm now currently unsure if I would rather do a mix of Battlemaster Fighter X/Valor or Lore Bard X; Paladin X/Valor or Lore Bard X; or some combination of Battlemaster Fighter X/Bard X/Paladin X.

From what I've seen, all of the 3 different options have some interesting and unique features I could pick up, battlemaster maneuvers help with setting up other allies, Valor Bards can cast a spell and then attack something in the same turn (I'm guessing there is a combination that can applied there if you use paladin smite spells), Paladins get smite, smite spells, and the ever useful level 6 ability of adding your Cha to all saves so that you can be a better tank.

So here is where I'm at a loss. For a player that doesn't really care as much about being a high level caster (the bard side is mostly for the utility that some spells can bring to helping keep my allies alive), what are some recommendations from more experienced players about building a melee focused Skald that is fun for both the player and the group? Equipment wise, with the rebuilding of my character if I started off as a Paladin 1, I currently have a Glaive as my primary attack weapon, and I'm holding onto a maul for if ever there is a reason that I feel like the character would be pissed off enough to drop her spear and proceed to start trying to smash said person into the ground.
Hey ;)

I made several "Warlord-like" build suggestions in the past, as well as others. You can use the search to find them with that keyword.

There are several ways to go at this.
- Pick a single-class that has the most of it: Paladin or Valor Bard will do very fine (that would be my primary advise for someone discovering 5e, unless you are experienced in roleplaying games in general).
- Build a multiclass that will shine but is completely realized only late: only do this if you are confident (then as advised, look for past threads) campaign will go very high and you are fine with having the same toys for a long time.
- Build a character that is able ASAP. For that read below.

Lvl 4 CHA-suggestion
Warlock 2 / Pal 2 (starting class): grab Booming Blade and Eldritch Blast (with Repelling and Agonizing): thanks to Warlock short rest slots, you can use Bless every fight to buff everyone.
You also get a powerful melee attack with Booming Blade and ranged attack with Eldricht Blast.
Suggested options for later leveling.
Warlock 3 > Tome Pact: grab Shillelagh and whatever else you'd like.
Paladin 3: either grab Devotion Paladin to make a very competent CHA-only controller, or Ancients for the powerful Aura of Warding at level 7.
From the starting 2/2, either take third level of Warlock now if you feel you have the use for 2nd level short rest slots, or go straight up Paladin 6 then see what you want.
In fact, I'd say stick with Paladin as long as you don't really need more features from Warlock.
If you go Devotion, max CHA and take Polearm Master and Inspiring Leader (not necessarily in that order).
If you go other Oaths, bump STR and CHA at least to 18 then do whatever you want.
Your long-term goal can be...
- Paladin 18 / Warlock 2 (30 feet Auras, the best option if you manage to get there).
- Paladin 6 / Warlock 7 (powerful short-rest smites and Greater Invisibility -Fey- or Fire Shield -Fiend-).
- Paladin 6 / Warlock 3 / caster X: to get more spell options and more fuel for smites.
You'll have ample time to think about it anyways. Just getting up to Paladin 6 should get a decent number of sessions.

Lvl 4 WIS-suggestion
Go Wood-Elf, then go Monk 1-2 / (Moon) Druid 1-2 / Life Cleric 1-2
Monk brings good unarmored AC to pair with shapeshifting, Druid brings much utility for scouting and encounters with shapeshifting, Cleric brings strong healing and buff.
You can give Life Goodberries to your friends, made before a long rest, for strong low level healing and emergency raise.
Pick the class that will be the main one and raise it, or level each as you wish to cherry-pick spells.
- Cleric helps you directly control an area thanks to Spirit Guardians, and keep people alive (Aid, Beacon of Hope, Revivify). The Warlordish part would come from using Bless and later SG and abusing Command/Sanctuary.
- Druid gets many great adventuring rituals, Conjure spells, and Moon Druid shapeshifting gets strong at level 10. Warlord spirit would come from channeling enemies into specific areas, using Conjured Animals to provide mobility or flanking to allies and so on.
- Monk gives you a very decent sustained damage, control tools (Open Hand, Long Death, 4E). Warlord feeling would come mainly from enforcing position changes (Open Hand, 4E) or shoving people prone to give advantage (Open Hand, 4E), or Stun them (any), or make them frightened (Long Death).

Honestly with these classes, there are so many good builds to make that it would require a guide. ^^

Attack-based
Battlemaster Fighter 3 / Rogue 1
Grab that Expertise in Athletics, start with high attack stat (whichever) and CON but decent STR and enough DEX for multiclass whatever happens, and have fun applying disarm/trip effects or plain shove.
From there you really can go wherever you want...
- Sword&Board: just go Fighter 6, then Rogue all the way: grab Thief archetype paired with Healer feat to heal as a bonus action, or Arcane Trickster to get a few magic tricks to help.
- TWF: best with STR build, go Fighter up to 12, grabbing Martial Initiate in the process (one more die is always nice) as well as Dual Wielder and/or Sharpshooter. Just get Cunning Action from Rogue, and dip into Bear Barbarian if you want to get crazy good.
- Sniper: grab Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter and up Fighter, just getting Cunning Action from Rogue and Martial Initiate feat.

Sorry if those builds are not detailed enough as is for you, I don't really have proper time to go deep into right now.
I'll be happy to provide more on any one of the builds that you would be interested into however. ;)

Joe the Rat
2017-08-28, 07:51 AM
I'm finding Valor bard being very friendly in terms of bardic inspiration use - I think Death Save is the only d20 roll Valor Inspiration can't be applied to. Makes the explanation to newer players (of bards, and newly alongside bards) simpler: (Almost) any time you use a d20, or damage rolls.

With low Int, Booming Blade is better, as it doesn't rely on your Int modifier for any damage. It's also a semi-control spell - if they move, they take more damage.