PDA

View Full Version : Which of these gish builds will be more consistent damage?

Degwerks
2017-08-27, 07:29 AM
Wondering on which of these Hexblade Paladin builds will do more consistent damage. Hexblade is locked into no less than 8 levels Bladepact and no less than 6 levels Paladin.

Hexblade 12 Paladin 6 Sorcerer 2 or
Hex 9 Paladin 11 or
Hex 8 Paladin 6 Sorcerer 6 or
Hex 14 Paladin 6.

The sorcerer part was for Sea Sorcery Curses shenanigans from Sorcerer UA and using Grasp of Hadar on eldritch blasts.

Arelai
2017-08-27, 01:30 PM
Consistent? Whichever one just uses eldritch blast with the agonizing blast invocation.

Nova/Burst? Hex 3/Pal 2/Sorcerer X. This'll gets you the highest level spell slots, and you can smite twice-divine smite and Eldritch smite on every hit.

Degwerks
2017-08-27, 02:36 PM
Consistent? Whichever one just uses eldritch blast with the agonizing blast invocation.

Nova/Burst? Hex 3/Pal 2/Sorcerer X. This'll gets you the highest level spell slots, and you can smite twice-divine smite and Eldritch smite on every hit.

This is nice but I should have said that I'm 8th level hexblade already. I'm wanting paladin to 6th level for the aura of protection.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-27, 04:02 PM
Not thinking about damage here on my end, but I'd go for a Hex 8/Pally 12 split myself. Get the ASI's from both classes. Spell slots above 4th level don't do anything extra for Divine Smite, though Eldritch Smite might. Can't check the Invocation right now.

You could also go Hex 12/Pally 8, but you'd 'lose out' on Improved Divine Smite.

Degwerks
2017-08-27, 07:34 PM
Not thinking about damage here on my end, but I'd go for a Hex 8/Pally 12 split myself. Get the ASI's from both classes. Spell slots above 4th level don't do anything extra for Divine Smite, though Eldritch Smite might. Can't check the Invocation right now.

You could also go Hex 12/Pally 8, but you'd 'lose out' on Improved Divine Smite.

Which would be better? Having my +5 charisma mod necrotic on melee attacks or 1d8 radiant on melee attacks? If I go with the radiant option I'd have to wait for 11 levels to get it. If I went ahead with charisma necrotic damage I could get that in 4 levels.

Hex 9 paladin 6 sorcerer 5 could get me up to 4 attacks each round with haste and a quickened Booming Blade though. Smite thrown in if I land a critical.

I'm intrigued by the idea of using the Sea Sorcerer cantrip curses gained with 5 levels in it, to get the Grasp of Hadar invocation and be able to drag an enemy up to 25 feet closer to me with a quickened Eldritch Blast and then Smite them with my 2 or more melee attacks.

CaptainSarathai
2017-08-27, 10:31 PM
1. Are you sure that your campaign is going to 20? If not then 8 levels of Hexblade might make everything else totally irrelevant.
"Yay, I got my 6th level Paladin and have my awesome defensive buffs!"
"Good for you kiddo, game ends next level!"

2. If you want consistent damage, then why are you grabbing levels of Paladin? Paladin is all about burst damage. Levels of Sorcerer for Quicken/Twin Metamagic on SCAG Cantrips (or EB) and/or the Haste spell would work better.

The best you're going to get from going Hexblade into Paladin is probably taking Oath of Devotion, give yourself the boosted Accuracy off your Channel Divinity, and then hammer away with Great Weapon Master. But even then, you only have that ability for 1 fight per rest.

RSP
2017-08-28, 12:53 AM
Just continue on in Hexblade for consistent damage; at 14 you have unlimited Curses which grant improved crits, +5 damage per damage roll (each attack or damaging spell), and heals.

That trumps the consistent damage of either Sorc or Pally (and probably trumps going for the aura too). Your EB (assuming AB invocation) will be the best ranged attack in the game at 3x(1d10+5+5+1d6 if Hex is up too), or ~19 (15.5 no Hex) per hit with no -5 to hit like a SS. And you'll have the increased crit range on top of that. Oh and every enemy that drops gives you 19 hps of healing.

Hexblade's Curse is way too powerful to not go for Hexblade 14, in my opinion.