PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Top 4

cupkeyk
2007-08-11, 11:20 AM
Assuming that a Ranger has 18 Wis, which is already asking a lot, he will have four spells from 1 to four. What are the four spells for each spell level he can cast that he should have in his repertoire almost everyday?

reorith
2007-08-11, 11:27 AM
1. long strider
2. wind wall
3. water walk
4. summon nature's ally iv

those are the only ones i can see that would be advantageous pretty much every day.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-11, 11:40 AM
Animalistic Power.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-11, 11:49 AM
Summon Nature's Ally 4 is a nice out of combat healing spell. 5d8+20 healing(via summoned unicorn) for a 4th level spell is pretty nice. The unicorn's magic circle against evil is nice too, situationally. Of course, it's much more efficient for a druid then a ranger, given that a ranger's 4th level spells are fewer and take longer to get.

I wonder if Druids can actually summon unicorns, since it is a CG spell, and druids have to have a nuetral alignment.

Orzel
2007-08-11, 12:01 PM
1. Longstrider
2. Wind Wall, Animalistic Power, or Lion's Charge
3. All Arrowsplits (or Extended lvl 2 buffs)
4. FoM (or Tree Stride/Swamp Stride)

Fax Celestis
2007-08-11, 12:02 PM
Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells

A druid can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to her own or her deity’s (if she has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.

As long as it's not opposed, and if you're at least partially neutral it's not opposed.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-11, 12:54 PM
Wait, you're talking about a level 20 ranger with 18 wisdom (not all that unusual).

To that end...
Level 1:
Alarm (to protect you while you sleep, 20 hours)
Endure Elements (24 hours)
Longstrider (20 hours)
Pass without a trace (20 hours)

Level 2:
Cure light wounds
Hide from animals x 3 (1st level spells)

Level 3:
Tree Shape (20 hours, good for sleeping undisturbed)
Waterwalk
Neutralize poison
Remove disease

Level 4:
Tree Stride (20 uses, up to 20 hours)
Nondetection (20 hours, costs 50 gp)
Freedom of movement
Commune with Nature

This is basically a patrol load out for spells. Commune with nature allows you to sense any problems in your territory (20 mile radius). The rest of the load out allows you to move freely and undetected throughout your environment. It is largely designed so that you don't randomly have to fight an animal, and just in case you catch a disease or poison, you can cure it. Minimal healing is provided since you can always have potions for that.

This is not a combat load out, this is instead your basic espionage, information gathering set. When you find your enemy, you don't engage him, instead your prepare for the battle.

LotharBot
2007-08-11, 01:05 PM
Personally, I really like the level 4 spell "Wild Runner"... at least, given my houserule that when you polymorph you apply racial modifiers rather than absolute scores. My halfling ranger turns into a centaur, gaining 10 strength and 2 weapon sizes? Yes please.

If you have some other source of full attacks on charges, the swift haste spell at level 2 is useful to gain a free attack once in a while.

Rangers, as prepared casters, can also use pearls of power.