PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Path of the Savage Fiend: A demon/devil barbarian

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-27, 12:19 PM
A concept i always wanted to play but never got the chance was the 'rampaging demon'. I know with alot of fluff and multiclassing i can get something close to this but it makes more sense to be barbarian sub class and it's weird that we don't have one yet. So i give you this. Tell me what you think.

Path of the Savage Fiend
The Savage Fiend is a being of rage unlike any natural creature. Its power stems from both the Nine Hells and the Abyss, changing the once mortal warrior into an unstoppable brute. As the Savage grows in power it transforms into a true incarnation of rage and ferocity, a mix of Pit fiend and Balor. Many things can create such a being. Perhaps it participated in the Bloodwars in a past life and the energies carried over,
or a demon possession gone astray when the host had enough control to bargain with a devil. The most common ways are magical experimentation gone wrong (or right) or having both demonic and diabolic ancestry in ones blood.

Unatural Senses
Your senses have surged with diabolical power, piercing the darkness and giving you an uncanny sense for blood. At 3rd level when you adopt this path, you gain the ability to see in darkness, both magical and non magical, out to 60 feet. If you already have darkvision this range increases to 120 feet. You also have advantage on Wisdom(Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Fiendish Weapons
Your body mutates and grows grotesque limbs. A pair of black horns spring forth from your skull, You mouth grows into a maw with large serrated teeth, your feet turn into cloven hooves, a long and muscular tail sprouts from your backside, or your fingers extend and harden into claws. At 3rd level your unarmed strike uses a d4 for damage and it deals slashing, piercing or bludgeoning damage as appropriate. In addition when you use an unarmed strike to make a melee weapon attack, it receives double your rage bonus to damage, instead of normal.
Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Hellish Resistance
Absorbed with demonic essence and diabolic energies, your body is accustomed to magic.
At 6th level you have advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects.

Fearsome Flames
The fires of a balor and the fearsome might of a pit fiend consume you when you battle. Starting at 10th level whenever you begin a rage you can choose any number enemy you see that can also see you within 30 feet to succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (DC= 8 + proficiency bonus + Constitution modifier) or be frightened of you until the beginning of your next turn. In addition, at the start of your turn while raging, any enemy that is within 5 feat of you takes 2d4 + your rage damage bonus in fire damage. If a creature hits you with a melee weapon attack while within 5 feet of you during your rage, that creature takes your rage bonus in fire damage. You also gain fire resistance.

Unholy Transformation
Your transformation completes. You gain the teleportation of demons, black bat-like wings sprout from your back and when you rage neither fire, cold, or storm can stop you. At 14th level you gain a fly speed equal to your walking speed, and when you rage you gain cold and lightning resistance.
Additionally you can cast Misty Step without expending any spell slots or needing components a number of times equal to your constitution modifier and you can cast this spell while raging. You regain the ability to do this when you finish a long rest.

So it hasn't seen much testing. I'm open for name suggestions and any help with balancing and wording. What do you guys think? Does it have the right feel? Is the fire aura too damage?

Tiwanoz
2017-08-31, 09:20 AM
Feels a bit to powerful. I'd use something like this:

Path of the Savage Fiend,
The Savage Fiend is a being of rage unlike any natural creature. Its power stems from both the Nine Hells and the Abyss, changing the once mortal warrior into an unstoppable brute. As the Savage grows in power it transforms into a true incarnation of rage and ferocity, a mix of Pit fiend and Balor. Many things can create such a being. Perhaps it participated in the Bloodwars in a past life and the energies carried over,
or a demon possession gone astray when the host had enough control to bargain with a devil. The most common ways are magical experimentation gone wrong (or right) or having both demonic and diabolic ancestry in ones blood.

Unatural Senses,
Your senses have surged with diabolical power, piercing the darkness and giving you an uncanny sense for blood.

At 3rd level when you adopt this path, you gain the ability to see in non-magical darkness, out to 60 feet. If you already have darkvision this range increases by 30ft.

At 6th level you can also see through 30ft of magical darkness.

Fiendish Weapons,
Your body mutates and grows grotesque limbs.
A pair of black horns spring forth from your skull, You mouth grows into a maw with large serrated teeth, your feet turn into cloven hooves, a long and muscular tail sprouts from your backside, or your fingers extend and harden into claws.

At 3rd level your Unarmed Strike uses a d4 for damage, and it deals Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning damage as appropriate. You also become proficient with Unarmed Strikes.

While you are Raging you may use a Bonus Action to make a melee weapon attack with your Unarmed Strike in addition to your regular Attack Action.

Hellish Resistance,
Absorbed with demonic essence and diabolic energies, your body is accustomed to magic.

At 6th level, when you Rage, you may add your Rage damage bonus to Saving Throws against Spells and Magical effects.

Flames of Hell,
The fires of a Balor or the fearsome might of a Pit Fiend consumes you when you battle.

Starting at 10th level, when you Rage any enemy that attacks you with a melee weapon attack within 5ft takes 1d4 + your Rage damage bonus in Fire damage.

You also gain Fire resistance while Raging.

Unholy Transformation,
Your transformation completes, demonic wings sprout from your back and in your blazing rage neither fire, cold, or storm can stop you.

At 14th level, when you Rage you transform and gain a Flying Speed equal to your Movement Speed, your transformation also grants Cold and Lightning resistance.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-01, 09:42 AM
Feels a bit to powerful. I'd use something like this:

Path of the Savage Fiend,

Unatural Senses,
Your senses have surged with diabolical power, piercing the darkness and giving you an uncanny sense for blood.

At 3rd level when you adopt this path, you gain the ability to see in non-magical darkness, out to 60 feet. If you already have darkvision this range increases by 30ft.

At 6th level you can also see through 30ft of magical darkness.

Fiendish Weapons,
Your body mutates and grows grotesque limbs.
A pair of black horns spring forth from your skull, You mouth grows into a maw with large serrated teeth, your feet turn into cloven hooves, a long and muscular tail sprouts from your backside, or your fingers extend and harden into claws.

At 3rd level your Unarmed Strike uses a d4 for damage, and it deals Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning damage as appropriate. You also become proficient with Unarmed Strikes.

While you are Raging you may use a Bonus Action to make a melee weapon attack with your Unarmed Strike in addition to your regular Attack Action.

Hellish Resistance,

At 6th level, when you Rage, you may add your Rage damage bonus to Saving Throws against Spells and Magical effects.

Flames of Hell,
The fires of a Balor or the fearsome might of a Pit Fiend consumes you when you battle.

Starting at 10th level, when you Rage any enemy that attacks you with a melee weapon attack within 5ft takes 1d4 + your Rage damage bonus in Fire damage.

You also gain Fire resistance while Raging.

Unholy Transformation,
Your transformation completes, demonic wings sprout from your back and in your blazing rage neither fire, cold, or storm can stop you.

At 14th level, when you Rage you transform and gain a Flying Speed equal to your Movement Speed, your transformation also grants Cold and Lightning resistance.

I do like your changes, however i don't think it was necessary for Unnatural Senses and Fiendish Weapons. Warlocks and Mystics are grabbing devil sight by level 2, Shadow sorcerers can see through their own at 1st level, i don't think its broken to give it at level 3.

The double rage bonus from your 1d4 unarmed strikes isn't broken at all, considering without feats you are basically wielding a 1d8 weapon instead until level 9, where it changes to still being behind by 1 or 2 points from greatsword, and at max rage damage its still behind greatsword. This is without fighting style and feats of course so the +10 to damage doesn't factor in. Getting them magical by 6 is pretty standard since its designed to be your preferred weapon (and your body is growing more magical too). By 6 in most campaigns you have magical equipment anyway.

The Hellish Resistance change is probably more balanced, but there is a precedent of Yaun-ti Pureblood getting magic resistance at 1st level, and the paladin gets to add charisma to EVERYONES saving throws around him. +2 is still good though, and advantage is huge so i think its still functional.

Flames of Hell....so yeah the fire damage was a bit much I figured. But it was supposed to be a fusion of pit lord and balor. Pit lords thing is the fear effect. Maybe something minor like double proff in intimidate, or can intimidate someone as a bonus action while raging...for a fear that doesn't last long?

I guess limiting flight to rage isn't bad but flight is a bit overated, everyone and their mother can get flight before level 14 and always on. Any of the flying races (there's like 3 now including planeshifts) or dragonborn plus wings feat (ua granted) or sorcerer 14, or be a druid, or Mystic, or Artificer 6 (using a flying mech servant). Teleporting is a major power and i think just makes the whole capstone for the subclass. It's strong in number of uses (maybe cut it down ) but its iconic to demons and devils. It can be cut i guess you are just less of a fiend for not having it.