PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sphere of powers. Help me understand please

Nosta
2017-08-27, 05:40 PM
I need a New character as my old one expired >.>

and I Have Been Eyeing Sphere of power for a long time now and will finally get a chance to play a character from there
though I have no idea how the spheres work.

1 how many uses per day do i get.
2 is there a set limit to how many spheres i can take
3 are there sphere levels

As for what class I Plan to Play an Armorist. as I can Pull of An Archer from Fate stay-night type character. (Archer from Fate can summon weapons, create a reality full of what in Dice game Terms would be Master work weapons and can copy any weapon)

My Question is can I get some Help Building An armorist. I have no idea how this magic works or what spheres i should and can take for this Build

The party is level ECL 6 so that will be were i start.

also i was on the SRD looking at the class and saw no class bonus from race. are there any?

Mehangel
2017-08-27, 05:51 PM
1 how many uses per day do i get.
Spherecasters use spell points to use sphere abililities. As a level 6 armorist, you will have a number of spell points each day equal to 6 + Wisdom modifier.

2 is there a set limit to how many spheres i can take
You spend magic talents to purchase spheres and talents from those spheres. As a level 6 armorist, you will have 5 magic talents to spend to purchase spheres and talents from those spheres. So you could have either:
5 different spheres, with no talents in any of those spheres.
4 different spheres, with one sphere having 1 additional talent.
3 different spheres, with two spheres having 1 additional talent.
3 different spheres, with one sphere having 2 additional talents.
2 different spheres, with one sphere having 2 additional talents, and the other sphere having 1 additional talent.
1 sphere, with 4 additional talents in that sphere.

3 are there sphere levels
Generally speaking all spheres will have the same caster level (although a number of classes have a higher caster level with a specific sphere, i.e. Eliciter w/ Mind sphere, or Shifter w/ Alteration sphere. As a level 6 armorist, your caster level with all spheres will be 3.

also i was on the SRD looking at the class and saw no class bonus from race. are there any?
Favored Class Bonuses (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/armorist#toc47)

Nosta
2017-08-27, 05:57 PM
Spherecasters use spell points to use sphere abililities. As a level 6 armorist, you will have a number of spell points each day equal to 6 + Wisdom modifier.

You spend magic talents to purchase spheres and talents from those spheres. As a level 6 armorist, you will have 5 magic talents to spend to purchase spheres and talents from those spheres. So you could have either:
5 different spheres, with no talents in any of those spheres.
4 different spheres, with one sphere having 1 additional talent.
3 different spheres, with two spheres having 1 additional talent.
3 different spheres, with one sphere having 2 additional talents.
2 different spheres, with one sphere having 2 additional talents, and the other sphere having 1 additional talent.
1 sphere, with 4 additional talents in that sphere.

Generally speaking all spheres will have the same caster level (although a number of classes have a higher caster level with a specific sphere, i.e. Eliciter w/ Mind sphere, or Shifter w/ Alteration sphere. As a level 6 armorist, your caster level with all spheres will be 3.

Favored Class Bonuses (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/armorist#toc47)

Oh WOW Thanks O.O

Can I ask what spheres would Be Best for a Armorist?

Mehangel
2017-08-27, 06:07 PM
Oh WOW Thanks O.O

Can I ask what spheres would Be Best for a Armorist?

Because armorists are low-casters, it is usually best to focus in spheres that aren't overly reliant on caster level. As such spheres such as Alteration, Divination, Enhancement, Life, Protection, War, and Warp are good choices of different spheres to invest in. The Destruction, Illusion Nature, and Mind spheres heavily rely on caster level for DC's or scaling effects and aren't recommended for low-casters like the armorist (specific archetypes may change this). However, I would recommend that instead of spreading yourself thin, you instead choose one, maybe two spheres and stick with those. Spheres of Power rewards those who stick with a theme.

digiman619
2017-08-27, 08:16 PM
It's also worth noting that if you have a sphere ability that has no spell point cost, say the base destruction ability or the haste ability of the time sphere while concentrating, you can do it at will.

Nosta
2017-08-27, 10:35 PM
It's also worth noting that if you have a sphere ability that has no spell point cost, say the base destruction ability or the haste ability of the time sphere while concentrating, you can do it at will.

hey can you tell me
with the Armorist bound equipment could i have a spike shield for this?
and if how do i do this?

Mehangel
2017-08-27, 10:52 PM
hey can you tell me
with the Armorist bound equipment could i have a spike shield for this?
and if how do i do this?

There are a couple of ways this can be handled.

A) You can have your 1st Bound Equipment be a Shield, and your 2nd Bound Equipment (gained at 5th level) be Shield Spikes.
B) You can have one of your Bound Equipment be a Shield and then use Summon Equipment to summon Shield Spikes on your Shield.

A.J.Gibson
2017-08-27, 11:21 PM
Because armorists are low-casters, it is usually best to focus in spheres that aren't overly reliant on caster level. As such spheres such as Alteration, Divination, Enhancement, Life, Protection, War, and Warp are good choices of different spheres to invest in. The Destruction, Illusion Nature, and Mind spheres heavily rely on caster level for DC's or scaling effects and aren't recommended for low-casters like the armorist (specific archetypes may change this). However, I would recommend that instead of spreading yourself thin, you instead choose one, maybe two spheres and stick with those. Spheres of Power rewards those who stick with a theme.

Came to say this. In addition, low casters should not generally be spellcasting in combat, instead they should be using spells as utilities and buffs (especially all-day buffs), especially those that don't rely on caster level (as mentioned). Alteration offers a huge amount of flexibility with little investment, Divination has long buffs that don't rely on CL, Life can give you a great deal of out of combat healing (though it's usually best left to those that can afford the heavy feat investment Life can take), Protection has long buffs, some of which don't interact with CL at all, War gives you options to use your immediate actions and good support for martial casters, and Warp gives you so much range based on CL that even a low CL with Warp is extremely useful. Enhancement I'm less of a fan of. Dark also has a few good melds you can use.

NomGarret
2017-08-28, 02:04 PM
I'd probably pass on Conjuration or Death, as they are pretty CL-intensive as well. What I would suggest is consider a combination of spheres you wouldn't expect to see conceptually paired. Sure, you could approximate a paladin with Life and Light, maybe some Fate and Protection; but at that point is it really all that different from a standard paladin? What about a holy warrior of goodness and darkness?

stack
2017-08-28, 02:16 PM
Note that Conjuration is one talent away from full CL on a low caster if you aren't going past level 10.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-08-28, 03:19 PM
If you're going for Archer, focusing on Enhancement and maybe Telekinesis seems best imo.

Also, check out the Soaring Blade archetype for Armorist. It's all about filling a battlefield with weapons and moving them around to fight.

NomGarret
2017-08-28, 06:04 PM
Note that Conjuration is one talent away from full CL on a low caster if you aren't going past level 10.

Oh yeah. Totally forgot that one. Alright, here's the new plan: prepare to rain destruction upon your enemies from atop your very own Sky Salmon! Here's the recipe:

Conjuration + Altered Size as the free (form). Now it's big enough to ride.

Avian Creature: puts the "Sky" in "Sky Salmon." Wings or not is up to you.

Boon companion: this is the one that makes up for your weak CL.

Lingering companion: when flying cross country, you can afford to concentrate to keep it around, but not when it's acting as a mobile artillery platform. You could go with Greater Summoning, (and they stack, so you can do both) but you have few enough uses for your SP, that I would go with this one.

Now you can go several different routes from here on out. Aquatic companion, if you insist on a Sky Salmon that can swim, for instance. I would suggest an alternative: Magical companion. Now it is undeniably an even weaker caster than you, but tell me you don't want a Sky Salmon that heals your wounds with a touch or protects you in a force field!

Now some will say this is unoptimized, which is true. You know what else is true? They're jealous because you have a Sky Salmon and they don't.