PDA

View Full Version : Insanity - Chinese Menu Caster

ZorroGames
2017-08-27, 08:38 PM
Just because standard humans get ignored (no threads on "fixing" standard humans like the current one "fixing" Variant Human) I decided to build a standard human mixing Sorceror dip and Arcana Cleric.

Some Sorcerer spells (3-4 levels? ASI tempts me to four but...)
Take Magic Initiate at fourth level to get a few Warlock cantrips and a spell, MC to Cleric Arcana Domain, pick some WI cantrips/spell cast using Wisdom from Arcana Initiate.

No idea on final stats but started playing with these Numbers

ST 13+1 (had visions a one spell dip into fighter but no.)
CO 13+1
DE 13+1
IN 10+1 (Dump?)
WI 13+1 for MC
CH 13+1 for MC and boost E.B. later.

Those stats are not final just the base to adjust.

The whole "one from column A and two from column B" aspect for RP has me grinning like a chesire cat.

"What class are you?" (Like a character would actually ask that question - :smallconfused: )

"Just a student of magic, my day job is a priest of Azuth, why do you ask?"

Safety Sword
2017-08-27, 09:16 PM
"What class are you?" (Like a character would actually ask that question - :smallconfused: )

I am a humble peasant, but one day I will prove myself and rise above my station.

ZorroGames
2017-08-28, 10:59 AM
I am a humble peasant, but one day I will prove myself and rise above my station.

I like that.

:smallcool:

Nicrosil
2017-08-28, 11:22 AM
So the goal of this build is to get access to the sorcerer, wizard, cleric, and warlock spell through multiclassing sorcerer with arcana cleric and warlock Magic Initiate?

...I like it. And now I'm wondering if you can't cram in more spell lists. You can only take Magic Initate once, right?

Easy_Lee
2017-08-28, 11:26 AM
Well, if you want a concept that only a standard human can reasonably pull off, here's an idea for you.

27 point buy: 13/13/11/13/13/12
After human: 14/14/12/14/14/13

Monk 1 / Paladin 2 / Wizard (Bladesinger) X
(Note: this requires 13 in everything but constitution for the multiclass).

Features:

Mariner fighting style for extra AC and mobility.
Unarmored AC while bladesinging is 10 + Dex + Int + Wis + 1, starts at 17. ASIs to Int will let us get to 20 by level 15 while naked.
Your arcane focus is a quarterstaff which you wield with dexterity.
The blade cantrips scale with overall level.
You can smite with wizard spell slots, meaning you'll be behind on progression but not by too much (second level slots by level five, third level by seven, etc.).
You still get more spell slots to smite with than a full paladin, and actually keep up with him for spell slots starting at level 3.
With smite burst, Greenflame Blade for AoE, Booming Blade for lockdown, and fire bolt for ranged, this is a versatile combatant.
With DPR taken care of, you can focus on picking up situational spells like comprehend languages.

I sure hope you can find some items of (attribute), especially dexterity, because I mean damn.

ZorroGames
2017-08-28, 12:04 PM
So, playing with the ability numbers for this character (see OP) with the goal of a character fascinated with magic, not ultra optimized but not crippled either, standard human Arcana cleric with sorceror dip.

ST 2 points build 10+1=11 may end up wearing medium armor leftover 1 point had to go somewhere.
CO 5 points build 13+1=14 some durability
DE 5 points build 13+1=14 decent dex save, finesse melee weapons, missile weapon
IN 1 point build 9+1=10 default base and why not a wizard - Arcane Initiate casts wizard cantrips with WI score
WI 9 points build 15+1=16 for that majority Cleric build action
CH 5 points build 13+1=14 for Eldritch Blast cantrip from M.I. Feat to diversify spells at 4th level.

Build progression draft.
1st - Draconic Origin, cantrips: Chill Touch - 120 feet range, Fire Bolt - 120 feet range, Mage Hand (Utility,) Message (Utility.) Spells - Shield (defense) Expeditious Retreat (C) (movement) start with Light Crossbow, focus, 2 Daggers

2nd - Font of Magic; spell Disguise Self (utility)

3rd - Metamagic - Distant, Twinned; spells - (utility) Darkvision

4th - for the ASI Magic Initiate (Warlock - cantrips Eldritch Blast, Minor Illussion; Spell Hex) Sorcerer cantrip Friends, spell Blur

5th - Arcana Cleric 1st level
Domain Detect Magic, Magic Missile
Arcana skill proficiency, Arcane Initiate - Dancing Lights (utility) and Mending (Utility)
Cleric: cantrips (utility) Guidance, Light, Resistance; Spells Cure Wounds or Healing Word, Guiding Bolt; consider donning Medium Armor if boosts AC.

Build as a Cleric from there

ASIs - Pump WI then CH. Then consider Warcaster Feat possibility, Also consider (party dependent) Sh. Sh. OR CBE Feat? Shield Master? Spell Sniper? MAM (requires DE boost)?

Comments? Suggestions (that do not alter core plan)?

Gracias.

ZorroGames
2017-08-28, 12:12 PM
So the goal of this build is to get access to the sorcerer, wizard, cleric, and warlock spell through multiclassing sorcerer with arcana cleric and warlock Magic Initiate?

...I like it. And now I'm wondering if you can't cram in more spell lists. You can only take Magic Initate once, right?

Yes that is my understanding from RAW.

ZorroGames
2017-08-28, 12:13 PM
Well, if you want a concept that only a standard human can reasonably pull off, here's an idea for you.

27 point buy: 13/13/11/13/13/12
After human: 14/14/12/14/14/13

Monk 1 / Paladin 2 / Wizard (Bladesinger) X
(Note: this requires 13 in everything but constitution for the multiclass).

Features:

Mariner fighting style for extra AC and mobility.
Unarmored AC while bladesinging is 10 + Dex + Int + Wis + 1, starts at 17. ASIs to Int will let us get to 20 by level 15 while naked.
Your arcane focus is a quarterstaff which you wield with dexterity.
The blade cantrips scale with overall level.
You can smite with wizard spell slots, meaning you'll be behind on progression but not by too much (second level slots by level five, third level by seven, etc.).
You still get more spell slots to smite with than a full paladin, and actually keep up with him for spell slots starting at level 3.
With smite burst, Greenflame Blade for AoE, Booming Blade for lockdown, and fire bolt for ranged, this is a versatile combatant.
With DPR taken care of, you can focus on picking up situational spells like comprehend languages.

I sure hope you can find some items of (attribute), especially dexterity, because I mean damn.

Well, while an intricate build, not at all where I want to go, so no.

ZorroGames
2017-08-28, 12:15 PM

I really considered Druid but the no metal armor and needing to not violate the PeteNutButter multiclass build rules too excessively stoped me from going there. Rule #8.