PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Alice's Transfusion (Spell)

Westhart
2017-08-28, 11:11 AM
With a major overhaul by rferries (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22229504&postcount=297) here it is.
Alice's Transfusion
Conjuration (Teleportation) [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Greater Invocation (Fiend, Archaic)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Duration: Instantaneous
Targets: Two creatures within 30' of each other
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: No

The malevolent sorceress Alice's favourite pastime was summoning powerful fiends and celestials to torture with this spell, grinning at their agony all the while. That is, until she found an archangel waiting at her gate one day...

You teleport the entire blood volume of two creatures between each other, causing multiple deleterious effects. You may not target creatures without fresh blood, typically constructs, elementals, oozes, and undead (vampires are an exception to this rule; see below).

Agonising Death
The teleportation is not gentle. Creatures that fail their saves fall prone from the agony of having their entire blood volume forcibly removed and replaced, and die after 2d12 rounds (remaining helpless during that time). Lesser restoration and any other effect that can heal at least 1 point of Constitution damage or drain negates this effect.

A creature that succeeds on its save retains at least some of its own blood and instead takes 1d4 points of damage per caster level.

Fluid Overload and Underload
If the two targets are of different sizes, then the smaller target swells and explodes from the excess blood volume on a failed save. This kills the smaller target instantly and rains blood and gore in a 30 foot radius around it. Creatures within 100 feet must make a Will save or be shaken for 2d4 rounds from witnessing this horrific display.

Similarly, on a failed save the larger target receives an inadequate blood volume and withers and dies much more quickly (1d3 rounds instead of 2d12).

Contamination
Even on a successful save, any creature targeted by this spell must immediately save against any diseases, poisons, and curses suffered by the other target (including vampirism, lycanthropy, mummy rot, etc.). Each such effect requires an additional Fortitude save at the same DC as this spell. Vampires targeted by this spell automatically gain 1d6 temporary hit points per caster level and suffer no ill effects.

Equivalent Exchange
You must have two viable targets to cast this spell. If you cast this spell on a creature without another viable target, the spell chooses a random creature within 30 feet (potentially you) as the second target. If there is no viable second target within 30 feet of the first, the spell fails.

rferries
2017-08-28, 12:59 PM
1) Needing 2 enemies present is a cool drawback.

2) The spell is still far too powerful. Assuming you're fighting opponents of equal level to your own, you're dealing the same damage as a disintegrate even if they SUCCEED on their saves! The HD cap is odd too,wil very rarely prevent you from targeting a creature.

3) Very cool flavour!

Westhart
2017-08-28, 01:02 PM
1) Needing 2 enemies present is a cool drawback.

2) The spell is still far too powerful. Assuming you're fighting opponents of equal level to your own, you're dealing the same damage as a disintegrate even if they SUCCEED on their saves! The HD cap is odd too,wil very rarely prevent you from targeting a creature.

3) Very cool flavour!

Oh, the damage was not based on CL, don't know if you noticed...

Lowered damage to 1d4/level, edited cap to 1/2 level+10, is that still to large for a 6th?

jqavins
2017-08-28, 01:49 PM
What if the targets are of grossly different size? The smaller one should pop like a tick, and the larger one should suffer the effects of massive blood loss, which will kill faster than described.

What if the creatures are of the same species? "Aha, my two worst enemies! Fred Newman and Jimmy Smith, I'm about to do you both in in the most horrible way I know!! Newman will have the blood of Smith, and Smith will die with Newman's blood! Bwahahaha!!!" Casts spell. Nothing happens.

"Yeah, dude, we're both A-, so..."

Westhart
2017-08-28, 01:51 PM
What if the targets are of grossly different size? The smaller one should pop like a tick, and the larger one should suffer the effects of massive blood loss, which will kill faster than described.

What if the creatures are of the same species? "Aha, my two worst enemies! Fred Newman and Jimmy Smith, I'm about to do you both in in the most horrible way I know!! Newman will have the blood of Smith, and Smith will die with Newman's blood! Bwahahaha!!!" Casts spell. Nothing happens.

"Yeah, dude, we're both A-, so..."

You know, I never thought about that... revised edition coming tomorrow :smallbiggrin:

Westhart
2017-08-29, 08:03 AM
Sorry for the double post, spell has been updated and is now Loooong description so if anybody can streamline it they get a cookie/internet (at their preference)

rferries
2017-08-29, 04:09 PM
Here's my attempt. I'd consider making this a necromancy spell too, though it certainly makes sense as a teleportation effect. Should probably be "Spell Resistance: Yes", either way.

I should say that medically a transfusion reaction wouldn't really kill you that quickly in real life, assuming you even had one. For simplicity's sake I suggest adding a clause that the blood-types don't matter, the spell simply scrambles/corrupts the blood during transport so no need to worry about blood types. Imagine the pain of working out how the spell would affect half-elves, half-orcs, half-celestials, etc :D

Edited the 1d4/target HD to 1d4/caster level (I know you meant the spell to be the creatures' blood attacking themselves but this is more in line with other spell effects;consider it a measure of how good your caster level is at transferring the blood).

Also, 1d4 damage per HD or caster level even on a SUCCESSFUL save seems pretty powerful (better than the half damage you get on a successful from the average d6/level evocation spell). Your spell gets some leeway from needing 2 targets but it's already much better than flesh to stone, finger of death, and other spells of comparable or even greater level.

For larger creatures receiving smaller blood volumes I eliminated the extra save to determine if they die in 1d3 or 2d12 rounds, too complex.

Added the Contamination effect for flavour, and the Equivalent Exchange for balance. In both cases they make the spell too complex, probably.

Also, consider constitution damage/drain for the spell (rather than automatically dying or dealing 1d4/level damage), in line with the blood drain attacks of vampires/stirges/etc.

Alice's Transfusion

The (mad?/malevolent?) [wizardess/sorceress/conjurer/necromancer/warlock] Alice's favourite pastime was summoning powerful fiends and celestials to torture with this spell, grinning at their agony all the while. That is, until she found an archangel waiting at her gate one day...

You teleport the entire blood volume of two creatures between each other, causing multiple deleterious effects. You may not target creatures without fresh blood, typically constructs, elementals, oozes, and undead (vampires are an exception to this rule; see below).

Agonising Death
The teleportation is not gentle. Creatures that fail their saves fall prone from the agony of having their entire blood volume forcibly removed and replaced, and die after 2d12 rounds (remaining helpless during that time). Lesser restoration and any other effect that can heal at least 1 point of Constitution damage or drain negates this effect.

A creature that succeeds on its save retains at least some of its own blood and instead takes 1d4 points of [nonlethal?] damage per caster level.

Compatible Blood Types [note I suggest deleting this section, even though it helps balance the spell]
If the two targets are of the same kind (e.g. two elves, but not an elf and a human) there is a 25% chance they have compatible blood types, in which case they suffer no ill effects even on a failed save.

If the two targets are of different sizes, then the smaller target swells and explodes from the excess blood volume on a failed save. This kills the smaller target instantly and rains blood and gore in a 30 foot radius around it. Creatures within 100 feet must make a Will save or be shaken for 2d4 rounds from witnessing this horrific display.

Similarly, on a failed save the larger target receives an inadequate blood volume and withers and dies much more quickly (1d3 rounds instead of 2d12).

Contamination
Even on a successful save, any creature targeted by this spell must immediately save against any diseases, poisons, and curses suffered by the other target (including vampirism, lycanthropy, mummy rot, etc.). Each such effect requires an additional Fortitude save at the same DC as this spell. Vampires targeted by this spell automatically gain 1d6 temporary hit points per caster level and suffer no ill effects.

Equivalent Exchange
You must have two viable targets to cast this spell. If you cast this spell on a creature without another viable target, the spell chooses a random creature within 30 feet (potentially you) as the second target. If there is no viable second target within 30 feet of the first, the spell fails.

jqavins
2017-08-29, 06:52 PM
Just a quibble: "Prone" means lying specifically on one's stomach. Lying on one's back is called supine. Lying on one's side with legs bent is either fetal or semi-fetal. I don't know what to call lying on one's side with legs straight.

So do you really mean to specify lying prone?

rferries
2017-08-29, 09:29 PM
Just a quibble: "Prone" means lying specifically on one's stomach. Lying on one's back is called supine. Lying on one's side with legs bent is either fetal or semi-fetal. I don't know what to call lying on one's side with legs straight.

So do you really mean to specify lying prone?

Haha yes, pronation/supination! However in this case it's a game term. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#prone)

Westhart
2017-08-30, 07:20 AM
Here's my attempt. I'd consider making this a necromancy spell too, though it certainly makes sense as a teleportation effect. Should probably be "Spell Resistance: Yes", either way.

Yeah, I wasn't unsure on school, necromancy sounded good but then TP... might break the mold (and upset everyone) by making it a Necromancy (teleportation) :smallbiggrin: I did not want SR b/c if one saved and the other didn't did the entire spell fail? but with equivalent exchange you made it should work now, added.

I should say that medically a transfusion reaction wouldn't really kill you that quickly in real life, assuming you even had one. For simplicity's sake I suggest adding a clause that the blood-types don't matter, the spell simply scrambles/corrupts the blood during transport so no need to worry about blood types. Imagine the pain of working out how the spell would affect half-elves, half-orcs, half-celestials, etc :D

5% chance to accept blood from either parent XD but yeah, for simplicity it probably should be dropped

Edited the 1d4/target HD to 1d4/caster level (I know you meant the spell to be the creatures' blood attacking themselves but this is more in line with other spell effects;consider it a measure of how good your caster level is at transferring the blood).

Fair enough

Also, 1d4 damage per HD or caster level even on a SUCCESSFUL save seems pretty powerful (better than the half damage you get on a successful from the average d6/level evocation spell). Your spell gets some leeway from needing 2 targets but it's already much better than flesh to stone, finger of death, and other spells of comparable or even greater level.

Hmmm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disintegrate.htm)? Besides the lack of a cap... which will be added now that I think about it.

For larger creatures receiving smaller blood volumes I eliminated the extra save to determine if they die in 1d3 or 2d12 rounds, too complex.

Fair enough.

Added the Contamination effect for flavour, and the Equivalent Exchange for balance. In both cases they make the spell too complex, probably.

Nah, I love them!

Also, consider constitution damage/drain for the spell (rather than automatically dying or dealing 1d4/level damage), in line with the blood drain attacks of vampires/stirges/etc.

Ooh, that is a better idea... hmm maybe 1d2/2 levels? (I hate spells that don't advance with CL :smallbiggrin:)

Alice's Transfusion

The mad & malevolent sorceress Alice's favourite pastime was summoning powerful fiends and celestials to torture with this spell, grinning at their agony all the while. That is, until she found an archangel waiting at her gate one day...

Agonising Death

A creature that succeeds on its save retains at least some of its own blood and instead takes 1d4 points of [nonlethal?] damage per caster level.

Nah, I like the lethal

Compatible Blood Types [note I suggest deleting this section, even though it helps balance the spell]
If the two targets are of the same kind (e.g. two elves, but not an elf and a human) there is a 25% chance they have compatible blood types, in which case they suffer no ill effects even on a failed save.

Thinking of replacing this with the fact that a heal, wish, or miracle spell cast while the creature i dying restores it to full health... purifying blood etc.

Yes, this is much better :smallsmile:

Contamination

Equivalent Exchange

Well, cookie or internet XP 'cause I love this!

rferries
2017-08-30, 03:28 PM
Happy to help! I'd like to point out that disintegrate deals only 5d6 damage on a failed save though, so the transfusion spell still outclasses it.