PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Elekor's Electric Shield (Spell)

Westhart
2017-08-28, 11:17 AM
Elekor's Electric Shield
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Druid 9, Shugenja 9, Wu Jen 9
Casting Time: Swift/Immediate Action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half
Spell Resistance: Yes (See Text)
With hardly a thought you quickly raise a shield of electricity, protecting you from harm and handing out retribution to those that would try to harm you.
This spell was designed by Elekor, a teslamancer of some repute, who used it to get his enemies to attack him then quickly raised the spell, making the enemy essentially electrocute himself. When you cast this spell a shimmering field of electricity surrounds you, giving you a +4 deflection bonus to AC. In addition anyone attacking you in melee (or grappling) with a nonreach weapon takes 1d6/level electricity damage, unless they are attacking with a metal weapon in which case they take 2d6/level. If they hit you with a successful critical hit apply the weapons critical modifier to the damage they take from the electricity. When a creature with spell resistance is affected by this spell check once to overcome spell resistance, if the check fails the creature takes no damage. Use the same result for all subsequent attacks.

rferries
2017-08-28, 12:55 PM
Right this is tricky. When you're in melee, you're basically saying "I deal 34d6 damage (as a druid of the minimum level able to cast the spell) as a free action to an opponent, PLUS all opponents who strike me in melee for the next 17 minutes". The drawback obviously is that you have to get in melee, but a druid has no problem wild-shaping into a tough creature and using Natural Spell to cast the shield.

I'd say drop the casting time, or better yet reduce the damage (because the casting time is a cool effect). You make mention of a saving throw & spell resistance in the stat block but not in the text, that could be a way to mitigate the power level.

Westhart
2017-08-28, 12:59 PM
Right this is tricky. When you're in melee, you're basically saying "I deal 34d6 damage (as a druid of the minimum level able to cast the spell) as a free action to an opponent, PLUS all opponents who strike me in melee for the next 17 minutes". The drawback obviously is that you have to get in melee, but a druid has no problem wild-shaping into a tough creature and using Natural Spell to cast the shield.

I'd say drop the casting time, or better yet reduce the damage (because the casting time is a cool effect). You make mention of a saving throw & spell resistance in the stat block but not in the text, that could be a way to mitigate the power level.

Woops forgot to drop the damage XD
Fixed.
Also added saves and spell resistance to it

jqavins
2017-08-28, 01:56 PM
If this spell would trike a creature with spell resistance make one check to overcome it, if successful the spell automatically does so on any other strikes, if it does not the spell does not affect it.
Would you rewrite the last sentence, please? This is, um, confusing.

Westhart
2017-08-28, 02:06 PM
Would you rewrite the last sentence, please? This is, um, confusing.

Is it better now, basically trying to say you do not check multiple times for different hits...

jqavins
2017-08-28, 02:14 PM
Before, it seemed backwords, roll a resistance check and the spell operates if it succeeds but doesn't if it fails? But it should do nothing if resistance succeeds, not if resistance fails. This is better. But it no longer states that only one resistance roll is made, which it did before. Try this addition on for size:

When a creature with spell resistance is affected by this spell check once to overcome spell resistance,; if the check fails the creature takes no damage. Use the same result for all subsequent attacks.

Westhart
2017-08-28, 02:15 PM
Added, thanks.