PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Spell Thief (Spell)

Westhart
2017-08-28, 11:33 AM
Spell Thief
Transmutation
Level: Magic 7, Sor/Wiz 6, Bard 6, Greater Invocation (Fae)
Components: V, S, AF
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Close
Target: One creature/4 levels
Duration: Instantaneous (See text)
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Holding up a lock pick with a wide grin and muttering a few words of eldritch power you steal the magical protection of those you fight.
When you cast this spell you must choose your targets before you can gain any benefits. Once you choose you instantaneously learn all spells effecting the creature. You make a caster level check, max bonus +20, (DC 11+CL of spells) for each spell you wish to acquire from your targets, and if successful you gain the effects of the spells for however long the duration still has. You can steal a number of spell levels with one casting of this spell equal to 1/2 your caster level.
Arcane focus: A lockpick

rferries
2017-08-28, 12:39 PM
Spell Thief
Transmutation
Level: Magic 6, Sor/Wiz 5, Bard 5, Greater Invocation (Fae)
Components: V, S, AF
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Close
Target: One creature/4 levels
Duration: Instantaneous (See text)
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Holding up a lock pick with a wide grin and muttering a few words of eldritch power you steal the magical protection of those you fight.
When you cast this spell you must choose your targets before you can gain any benefits. Once you choose you instantaneously learn all spells effecting the creature. You make a caster level check (DC 11+CL of spells) for each spell you wish to acquire from your targets, and if successful you gain the effects of the spells for however long the duration still has. You can steal a number of spell levels with one casting of this spell equal to 1/2 your caster level.
Arcane focus: A lockpick

Cool, seems balanced (specially with the limit on spell levels you can steal). Maybe add a limit on your caster level check, as with dispel magic?

Westhart
2017-08-28, 12:48 PM
Cool, seems balanced (specially with the limit on spell levels you can steal). Maybe add a limit on your caster level check, as with dispel magic?

i don't know, adding a cap makes it seem kinda week to me... maybe if I did make it the same as greater dispel magic?

rferries
2017-08-28, 05:15 PM
I'd say bump it up to 6th level as well then (to fit the caster level caps of 6th-level spells), perhaps. Greater dispel magic destroys a bunch of protections, this destroys only a few protections but steals them for yourself too.

Westhart
2017-08-29, 07:14 AM
I'd say bump it up to 6th level as well then (to fit the caster level caps of 6th-level spells), perhaps. Greater dispel magic destroys a bunch of protections, this destroys only a few protections but steals them for yourself too.

Bumped level up 1, added max cap +20