PDA

View Full Version : Utterance of the Stricken Name

Westhart
2017-08-28, 12:28 PM
Utterance of the Stricken Name
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Dark Invocation (Universal)
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: Personal
Duration: 12 hours/level
Uttering a diluted version of an ancient word so powerful that the gods destroyed the one who found it out of fear, you render yourself undetectable to all but the most powerful Diviners.
While this spell is active you have complete immunity to Divination spells of 7th level or lower (that ould detect/see/knwo something about the caster such as detect evil, scrying, locate creature, arcane eye or other divination spells). In addition a caster using a higher spell must beat you at n opposed spellcraft check for the spell to function, and even if the caster wins the check there is a 20% chance that it still does not work.

Note: I feel this may be too powerful as it basically kills divination, but I hate true sight, and hate always picking up a nondetection etc item to block them so here is... thinking about making it a Sor/Wiz 11...

jqavins
2017-08-28, 02:20 PM
And here I was thinking the level is (for once) too high. If 7th level divination can penetrate it then wouldn't 7th be a sensible level for this protection? If you're concerned that 7th is too low, I say just leave it where it is.

Westhart
2017-08-28, 02:22 PM
And here I was thinking the level is (for once) too high. If 7th level divination can penetrate it then wouldn't 7th be a sensible level for this protection? If you're concerned that 7th is too low, I say just leave it where it is.

Put it at 8 as a compromise

rferries
2017-08-28, 05:38 PM
8 seems good. Mindblank (8th level) kills one school (Enchantment), so there's precedent.

Westhart
2017-08-29, 07:00 AM
7th can not, it blocks 7th and below, forgot to emtion

8 seems good. Mindblank (8th level) kills one school (Enchantment), so there's precedent.

yeah, I'm liking 8th for level.

jqavins
2017-08-29, 10:25 AM
7th can not, it blocks 7th and below, forgot to emtion
My mistake. So yeah, 8th.