PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Druid build advice (in a Kingmaker game)

nolongerchaos
2017-08-28, 03:29 PM
So my wife and I are playing the Kingmaker AP with some friends. Unfortunately, my wife isn't really having much fun with her character, the party Druid, since it isn't mechanically living up to what she had in mind.

Her original concept for the character was a heavily snake-themed druid who serves as a guardian of the forest/emissary to the fey. So strongly snake themed in fact, that her hopes are that by high level, pretty much any time a snake shows up in the kingdom, it is pretty much immediately going to be assumed to be acting on her behalf. She wanted to essentially treat her viper animal companion as a powerful embodiment of her character's soul, but unfortunately snakes are mechanically lackluster in terms of abilities and combat, especially next to the vanilla Summoner's Eidolon.

We recently hit 6th level, where she took her first level of the Green Faith Acolyte PrC (mechanically weak, but the Arch/Great/Grand Druid feature is appealing enough for it to be worth it for her). Our GM is pretty generous with us retraining levels if he can tell we're not satisfied with what the character's doing mechanically, so if you've got any alternate suggestions on how to help make the character perform more in line with the goals, whether spells (like Animal Messenger for fun snake messages), feats, magic items, or even alternate PrCs, since she'd probably be allowed to retrain by the GM (my wife has been playing 3.P for about 10 years, but she's easily the most casual about it in our group, so the GM is relatively rules-light with her).

Additionally, all of our characters are going to be granted Leadership for free at 7th level, I'm contemplating trying to book dive to find a suitable Monstrous Companion for her instead of a cohort, but if you've any suggestions regarding that opportunity I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks.

Geddy2112
2017-08-28, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately, the viper is a pretty lackluster animal companion. However, if she wants to keep the snake theme, the constrictor is far better and still a snek. It can hold its own in combat and being able to constrict enemies is amazing-even if she does not fight alongside the snake, it is pulling its weight where poisons are often outright negated and usually too weak to matter.

Does she focus more on casting or beast shaping/melee? If she wants to be more martial and beatstick she could go hunter and really unlock the combat potential(while still being able to green faith acolyte). If she was a nagaji, she could be a naga aspirant, which replaces spontaneous casting for more utility spells, and locks wild shape into being a naga, but it is very snake themed(and you can double constrict with a constrictor snake companion). For feats, if she shapeshifts natural spell is outright required. If she summons, spell focus(conjuration) and augment summons are required. Otherwise druids have tons of options so it all depends.

For spells, druids have so many options, so it would help to know more of the goal of the rest of the party, plus her general role in combat and encounters as whole.

There are no snake companions to my knowledge, but she might be able to recruit a naga(at high enough levels). If not, get a dinosaur, or maybe even a fey if that is her thing.

Ellrin
2017-08-28, 08:53 PM
There are no snake companions to my knowledge, but she might be able to recruit a naga(at high enough levels). If not, get a dinosaur, or maybe even a fey if that is her thing.

Among possible humanoid cohorts, there's also nagaji (as you mentioned previously) and vishkanya, and I think one more snake-themed humanoid race I'm forgetting.

EDIT: For some reason my phone likes to drop the keyboard just as I'm hitting the spot on it under which the "submit" button lies waiting, but only on this site.