PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Oh wow! Just came up with a hillarious character concept...

samcifer
2017-08-28, 05:15 PM
A cleric who is creeped out by the dead and won't touch them, even with his magic.

"For all we know, he died of the plague! I'm not touching him!"

(other character rolls eyes in disgust): "You don't have to touch him to use magic on him!"

"I'm not using my magic on that disgusting thing! If I do that, my magic will never come clean." *pressing finger tips together and wiggling them around apprehensively*

Talamare
2017-08-28, 05:46 PM
Doesn't really seem funny, at least imo

samcifer
2017-08-28, 06:01 PM
Doesn't really seem funny, at least imo

Well he treats it like a germ-phobia and is a bit comical in an anime' manner about it.

Armored Walrus
2017-08-28, 07:15 PM
Seems like it would be funny until I needed a resurrection :P

Chugger
2017-08-28, 07:50 PM
Samcifer, humor is subjective. If you dig it, go with it. But not everyone is going to get what you see in the concept.

I hope you can make it work.

Something to keep in mind is that some character traits "have legs" and some don't. Some burn out quickly and just seem stale over many levels, but others grow and last and take you to surprising places as a campaign goes on. I hope that helps you.

samcifer
2017-08-28, 08:12 PM
Seems like it would be funny until I needed a resurrection :P

Not the freshly dead, but those who have been dead for quite some time (zombies, mummified remains, etc.)

Armored Walrus
2017-08-28, 09:00 PM
Not the freshly dead, but those who have been dead for quite some time (zombies, mummified remains, etc.)

OK, well, at least in that case you can avoid being more annoying than amusing by at least falling back on buffing and healing when you fight undead instead of being uselessly in character.

Stuff like this, at the table, really depends on execution. The concept can sound awesome and completely flop, or it can sound stupid but be incredible once you get into it.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-28, 09:36 PM
The final execution may be different, but to me, it sounds more annoying than funny. Cleric (and paladin) is the best class against undead. Imagine going after a vampire without radiant damage to negate its regeneration, as the only party member who *can* use radiant damage refuses to cast such spells. Or even the annoyance of unkillable zombies succeeding on their Undying Fortitude saves, when there's an easy solution present but unwilling to actually resolve the situation...

Basement Cat
2017-08-28, 09:57 PM
For it to work beyond a one or two time "joke" such a character would need a proper background experience/reason to have such a phobia.

Personal experience isn't necessary--he could have been reared by parents who were irrationally afraid of the undead. Keep in mind that while we--the players--recognize fantasy worlds as being guided by rules and charts the characters who reside in such fantasy worlds are expected to have cultural, local, and even personal customs, views, and quirks.

As a part of such backgrounds NPCs can be expected to have superstitions that have zero basis in fact or having actual effect in their world but which are firmly instilled into their societies. Real World examples include saying "Bless you." when someone sneezes as well as making hand gestures to 'ward off the Evil Eye'.

Having been reared by parents who were redundantly superstitious such a cleric could very well have all the power of a cleric while being painfully ignorant/disbelieving about the realities of the undead.

If you use this approach it gives the cleric not just a reason for his behavior but a firm foundation to build upon all kinds of ridiculous quirks and misunderstandings that any misinformed or poorly informed superstitious peasant would fully identify with but drives his more enlightened colleagues and sectarian superiors to tooth-grinding frustration. :smallwink:

Sigreid
2017-08-28, 10:00 PM
If you do this you have to say something like "Are you crazy? If I use my magic on that zombie, I'm using my magic on every corpse that zombie has been with!!"

Ravinsild
2017-08-28, 10:10 PM
If I remember correctly there's a culture of Redguards in a desert location in Elder Scrolls Online who refuse to combat undead as they believe it could be disrespectful to their ancestors. Perhaps look up that quest chain for inspiration, or research Reguard culture and the undead. It may give you a neat spin on your concept with a justifiable reason. Pick the most common and generic race for this character so it's very possible the vast array of undead creatures for enemies COULD, in fact, be your ancestor. If you pick a niche race like Dragonborn it's less likely to be taken seriously.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-28, 10:11 PM
Make him an undying pact warlock and it will be funny. The undead have trouble touching him, too.

samcifer
2017-08-28, 10:27 PM
if you do this you have to say something like "are you crazy? If i use my magic on that zombie, i'm using my magic on every corpse that zombie has been with!!"

........lol!

Arkhios
2017-08-29, 04:27 AM
If the character isn't 'she' and her name isn't Hillary*, I disapprove calling the character concept hiLLarious :smallamused:

...sorry, couldn't resist...

edit:
*the name was, admittedly, quite distasteful joke.

samcifer
2017-08-29, 09:45 AM
If the character isn't 'she' and her name isn't Hillary Cun*ton, I disapprove calling the character concept hiLLarious :smallamused:

.....*sigh* :(

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-08-30, 05:31 AM
If the character isn't 'she' and her name isn't Hillary Cun*ton, I disapprove calling the character concept hiLLarious :smallamused:

Please leave this forum and never come back

samcifer
2017-08-30, 08:37 AM
Please leave this forum and never come back

Thank you for that. ")

Easy_Lee
2017-08-30, 08:48 AM
Thank you for that. ")

You know, I'd like to say something to get this thread back on topic, but I'm not convinced it ever had one. You posted an idea that you thought was absolutely hilarious, hoping others would also find it funny. Someone else posted a joke about your joke. And you apparently didn't appreciate the joke...

So is this a thread about jokes, or is it exclusively about your joke? Frankly, I didn't think your joke was all that funny. But I didn't ask you to leave the forum and never come back.

qube
2017-08-30, 08:52 AM
A cleric who is creeped out by the dead and won't touch them, even with his magic.

"For all we know, he died of the plague! I'm not touching him!"

(other character rolls eyes in disgust): "You don't have to touch him to use magic on him!"

"I'm not using my magic on that disgusting thing! If I do that, my magic will never come clean." *pressing finger tips together and wiggling them around apprehensively*
is it funny? sure.

Will it be appreciated ... ... ... lets just say it depends on how essential your character is and lethal the campaign is ...

lunaticfringe
2017-08-30, 09:11 AM
You know, I'd like to say something to get this thread back on topic, but I'm not convinced it ever had one. You posted an idea that you thought was absolutely hilarious, hoping others would also find it funny. Someone else posted a joke about your joke. And you apparently didn't appreciate the joke...

So is this a thread about jokes, or is it exclusively about your joke? Frankly, I didn't think your joke was all that funny. But I didn't ask you to leave the forum and never come back.

I believe that was more of a stfu about politics on gd game forum. You can go troll Reddit or Any News Site that allows Comments and get a ton of likes for comments like that so why do it here where it is not appreciated. This forum is a port in the **** Storm of the increasingly mean & nasty internet.

Also that was Jay Leno Monologue Bad (seriously he was making Lewinsky jokes like decade after he left office). The Clintons aren't exactly Relavent to what is happening Now.

coyote_sly
2017-08-30, 09:21 AM
Well he treats it like a germ-phobia and is a bit comical in an anime' manner about it.

That sounds even worse.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-30, 09:41 AM
That sounds even worse.

I agree. Players ought not RP in an "Anime" way. Anime behavior is already several steps removed from real human behavior, particularly in the modern era. Taking it one step further and emulating Anime is something best left to professionals trying to make a point, not players who presumably wish not to irritate everyone else at the table.

Incidentally, this is what meta means. If you do an original take on King Arthur, and I emulate your style, then I'm not acting like King Arthur, but instead like you. That's a meta performance. If someone then emulates me, that's a second level of meta. Modern Anime has gone through this ringer several times already. It's not a good source of inspiration for anyone's behavior outside of an Anime parody.

samcifer
2017-08-30, 09:53 AM
As I think was already said, humor is subjective. Just wanted to share, is all. Then the politics came charging in and ruined everything. :P

Ravinsild
2017-08-30, 10:21 AM
I believe that was more of a stfu about politics on gd game forum. You can go troll Reddit or Any News Site that allows Comments and get a ton of likes for comments like that so why do it here where it is not appreciated. This forum is a port in the **** Storm of the increasingly mean & nasty internet.

Also that was Jay Leno Monologue Bad (seriously he was making Lewinsky jokes like decade after he left office). The Clintons aren't exactly Relavent to what is happening Now.

It was because he spelled hilarious wrong. There aren't two L's in hilarious. Hillarious is a misspelling and closer to Hillary.

samcifer
2017-08-30, 10:56 AM
It was because he spelled hilarious wrong. There aren't two L's in hilarious. Hillarious is a misspelling and closer to Hillary.

In my defense, I was at work at the time and get distracted often there, so mispollings (done intentionally this time) are to be expected. :)

Arkhios
2017-08-30, 11:51 AM
As I think was already said, humor is subjective. Just wanted to share, is all. Then the politics came charging in and ruined everything. :P

Did I say Clinton? No. Did I talk about politics? No.

It was indeed a (bad) joke about misspelling. Nothing else. People getting all riled up from false assumptions: please, take a chill pill.

imtodd
2017-08-30, 12:13 PM

It was indeed a (bad) joke about misspelling. Nothing else. People getting all riled up from false assumptions: please, take a chill pill.

Humor is definitely subjective and political connotations aside it was funnier than the OP.

Rysto
2017-08-30, 12:29 PM

Oh please. You knew exactly what you were doing there, and this faux innocent act isn't fooling anybody.

Arkhios
2017-08-30, 01:10 PM
Oh please. You knew exactly what you were doing there, and this faux innocent act isn't fooling anybody.

Edit:

...Just because it doesn't seem to be clear at this point:
Yes, the name I suggested (with a tongue-in-cheek, mind you) resembled Hillary Clinton quite intentionally (note, I edited the name away).
Yes, I was being snide towards a misspelling. But the name itself does NOT mean that I was trying to make a political stand. I used her name as a reference-point because she's currently probably the most well-known Hillary of our time. I didn't mean to imply anything else. The last name was of no primary concern. It was just funny (to me, at least. As said multiple times. Humor is subjective. And mine tends to be quite dark.)

By now, it should be obvious that my joke was really bad (let alone distasteful). You shouldn't have to explain a joke at all. I admit, and I apologize, that I made such a distasteful joke. I've edited the last name away from my original post. Please, just let it go.

Shurz
2017-08-31, 07:18 PM

I like it. This gives a lot of role-playing chances, especially with the need to cleanse afterwards and this isn't just solved with a bath in a lake or river.
This will need a minor ritual of cleansing, quite possibly having to cast prestigitation ever hour until said ritual can be completed, with all the paraphenalia.
The real fun begins when it is time to handle loot, if it has been touched by an undead creature.
So every item would have to cleansed as well, otherwise the cleric suffers a minor "allergic" reaction, sneezing, scratching, runny eyes, coughing - pick whatever suits.
Finally the sacramental robes and incense will come in handy, the later a significant expense for the cleric in question, since the older and more powerful the undead is,
the more elaborate the ritual will have to be.
If you want to push it a step further, make the cleric a flagelant as well.

Note, the cleric should have an obligation of duty and faith, so it is a constant struggle. Rest assured, it wont be as bad as the ambivalent healer concept.
If the problem only exists with undead, then a resurection or revivify shouldn't be a problem, as natural death doesn't provoke the issue.

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-08-31, 10:29 PM
By now, it should be obvious that my joke was really bad (let alone distasteful). You shouldn't have to explain a joke at all. I admit, and I apologize, that I made such a distasteful joke. I've edited the last name away from my original post. Please, just let it go.

Thank you for the edit and apology, and I apologize too for how I reacted. I am a progressive in a house of tea-party DT supporters, so you can imagine how much a sore spot it is with them all pushing my buttons

samcifer
2017-08-31, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the edit and apology, and I apologize too for how I reacted. I am a progressive in a house of tea-party DT supporters, so you can imagine how much a sore spot it is with them all pushing my buttons

I voted for Hillary not because I like her, but because I had confidence that she would've done a good job, so I'm not a 'rah-rah!' Clinton supporter. That's all the politics I care to discuss on this. :)

BillyBobShorton
2017-08-31, 11:13 PM
Samcifer, humor is subjective. If you dig it, go with it. But not everyone is going to get what you see in the concept.

I hope you can make it work.

Something to keep in mind is that some character traits "have legs" and some don't. Some burn out quickly and just seem stale over many levels, but others grow and last and take you to surprising places as a campaign goes on. I hope that helps you.
I second this. The joke would probably get old. If not to you, then others at the table might get annoyed. It does sound like a hilarious NPC encounter though.

Arkhios
2017-09-01, 04:01 AM

For the record, if it means anything to you, I feel sorry for - not only americans, but the rest of the world - that you (and we) basically have no choice but to stand still and watch as DT drives the world to its doom. But that's enough for politics.