PDA

View Full Version : IC: The Tale of Ten Thousand

ClericalTank
2017-08-28, 10:49 PM
Link to OoC may be found Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534554-OoC-The-Tale-of-Ten-Thousand-(3-5)&p=22333462#post22333462)
If you're reading this, that means my vault has finally been compromised. Well done; few could have made it this far. Now I will tell you the tale I've never managed to tell anyone before, due in no small part to its length. There are Read Magic and Comprehend Languages scrolls in the east wing; the compass that tells you where east is would be in the west wing; food and drink restock themselves on the second floor; and the Chronometer in the center will tell you how much time you have left to read this before you yourself expire, and the vault is again sealed. Should you choose to memorize the details of this tale as far as you've read it, you may impart that knowledge to the next person by drinking from the bronze chalice at the top of the fountain and simply wishing it so. Yes, it is indeed that simple.

This is a story with a simple concept; adventurers strive for a goal, and the story gets in the way of said goal. In order for the story to obstruct a goal, however, the adventurers need a goal, don't they?

Let's start in the city of Draguire. Herein exists possibly the highest concentration of mages in the world per capita, but even that doesn't say much, seeing as about half the population is still quite mundane. That said, even the nonmagical folk are quite well read, often taking up multiple languages simply to broaden their horizons. The diversity is also quite nice, as magic and knowledge are very appealing to peoples of all talents, races, and alignments.

In this city of Draguire, A local mage and spellblade are spending their Tuesday evening standing in a tavern, staring intently at the notice board by the door.
Long Black Fur, nearing his 14th birthday; Not very bright, but unusually friendly; Responds to "Finch"; If found please notify Tasha Silvess. Directions to the Silvess Residence are provided at the center of the the flyer.I am engineering a new card game based purely on skill! Experience completely unnecessary. We will meet Thursdays at sunset here at The Misgnomer. Hope to see you there! A rather goofy looking picture depicting a dragon and four kobolds playing cards at a wooden table lies in the bottom right corner of the flyer.Training is not included, so please come with your own experience! Salary is open for negotiation. Open Interviews start on Sundays at sunrise and end at noon. There's a map of the Merchant quarter with directions to Tal's Wands and Pals.Don't forget your tickets to the Delightful Derrick's final week in Draguire! Illustrious Illusions and Confounding Conjurations to amaze even the most skeptical mage! After Wednesday, he leaves for a tour all over the four corners! Don't miss out! 25 sp for Adults, and 15 sp for Children and Seniors. Directions to the Ampitheater are provided at the bottom of the flyer. Funny enough, the time for the event isn't specified.Looking for the toughest mages and the smartest warriors to join me in a quest for endless treasure! Split evenly, of course. Meet at this location on Saturday morning if you don't want to be left behind! There is a well-proportioned map of the temple district at the top of the flyer. The dot in the center marks a house that you are almost certain is a church, but you can't remember whom this specific place prays for.Sadly, Sven is bankrupt. But that doesn't mean YOU have to be! Come on over and get the best deals on magical reagents the City has ever known! We'll even throw in a free reagent pouch with every purchase of 5 gold or more! Everything Must Go, so hurry! A map is crudely drawn on, with directions to Sven's Complete Components in the temple district.Show me your best, your brightest, your most charming! And I'll show you Draguire's strongest disciples of the arcane having all-out duels of spectacular proportions! Winner gets his or her choice of gems, gold, or a magical ring! Preliminaries start next Monday at noon! Directions to the Arena are listed here, and a very elegantly drawn piece depicting two mages narrowly evading one another's evocations lies in the background of the flyer.There are five faces on the flyer, each with their own set of crimes and bounties. There seems to be an uncanny proportion between the bounties and the faces they belong to; the higher the bounty, the prettier the face attatched to it. The first face belongs to a kobold, under which is the name Riffraff, a brief description, a bounty set for 640 gold for two counts of arcane robbery, and a warning: This kobold has stolen high level spells. It must be assumed that it can use them, so take extreme caution.
The second face belongs to a Bugbear by the alias of "Hope", whose bounty is set to 680 gold for eight counts of Embezzlement.
The third face is that of an Orc named Gorduk, with a bounty of 770 gold for three hundred and ninety-four (!) counts of Vandalism. A warning is attatched to this one as well: Somehow has the ability to be in more than one place at once, despite not showing signs of any spellcasting ability. Do not engage alone!
The fourth face on the list is a Gnome called "Hahn", whose bounty is set to 1,250 gold for "Performing Illegal Services without Contract". The warning reads, Skilled with Illusions and cunning with traps; will often let himself get caught just to escape moments later.
The fifth face is but a blank square with a question mark in the middle, titled "Nameless". Little description is given, other than that he (she? They? It?) is a notorious peddler of dangerous bootleg spells. Any tips that lead to his direct and immediate arrest will result in an award of three thousand five hundred gold, split among the tippers. If you suspect someone to be The Nameless, DO NOT ENGAGE; AVOID AT ALL COSTS.I, Nelson Farwaters, have been working on research regarding mutations. However, something went awry. Now my test subjects are crawling around the sewers in the merchant quarter! I would advise not being alarmed, but if you have the coin to spare, we can all pay for someone to take care of the problem for us! I can pitch in my life savings, but people won't venture into the sewers for two thousand gold, much less eight hundred and forty-seven gold! Won't you help a man wronged by science?There are more papers strewn about the board, but they're either too torn up or too obscured by other papers for you to figure out what they say.

finaldooms
2017-08-29, 06:37 AM
Erronious looks bored at tge boardtell, me again, Austyn, why you insisted we come to t this? All i see is sven is running out of gold again and maybe a neighborhood sewer watch
He takes a small drink and looks around with a n arrogance that is hard to miss

CNFish
2017-08-29, 12:03 PM
I train day in and day out, often to the most extremes for my powers. I need a way to prove myself that I have grown stronger indeed. if anything we can just go down the job list and see how many of these we can complete in a day? Aushtyn sighs. its not like much else happens in this town..

finaldooms
2017-08-29, 12:28 PM
hrm.,typical for your kind., very well i guess i could asist you,,,but first i must go pick up a few things from the local wand and scroll shop..are you coming? I doubt the board will walk off ..for now
Erronious then walks over to someone for a reminder as to where the local shop is
you there! Where would one find the shop with wands and scrolls for sale?

CNFish
2017-08-29, 12:39 PM
i shall meet you outside when you are ready, i must prelare myself wkth a quick lap around the city! aushtyn begins to stretch before his sprint. when you return ill be ready and we will go after these bounties on this board

ClericalTank
2017-08-29, 12:43 PM
This poor fellow was studying Draconic, and jumped at the elf's direct approach. (In Draconic) You what? Oh, mean you be speaking of Tal's--*ahem* (In common) Sorry about that; my Draconic used to be better. *cough* Anyway, it's directly south of here, Tal's is. Big blue sign with an assortment of consumables on it; If you see the sign with an anvil and two hammers crossed over it, you've gone too far. He points in the southern direction for emphasis.

finaldooms
2017-08-29, 01:03 PM
In fluent draconic that sounds easy enough and also your emphasis on insert word here was off using this language, i suggest you go back and study beginners draconic volume 1 the young edition with that err moves off to the south expecting aus to follow him

0lvl - ,acid splash,resistance,dancing lights,acid splash
1st lvl - color spray,burning rage,shield,burning rage

ClericalTank
2017-08-29, 07:14 PM
Erronious makes his way to Tal's Wands and Pals, leaving behind Aushtyn as he stretches his limbs. The door opens easily, but it screams as though it won't be taken alive. A gruff voice greets the elf.
Welcome to Tal's Wands and Pals. What can I do you for?
While stretching, you see Err head off towards the wand shop. After a while the door to the tavern opens and a gnome walks through, tobacco pipe in hand. Well, then, he says in a lighthearted yet frustrated tone. Slow night all round. Maybe I shouldn't have quit poetry... 'Ey, are you gonna loiter about here? Come inside and have a drink; I'll treat ya to a solo concert, and we'll see if I've still got it. Whaddaya say?

CNFish
2017-08-29, 08:12 PM
Aushtyn ignoring the man completely is intent on ccompleting his training, and afyer some quick stretches bolts off into the distance at a quick pace.

ClericalTank
2017-08-29, 08:26 PM
Bah...coming into MY bar, lookin at the board and nothing else...didn't even buy a damn drink. I'll let it slide this time, but should running be a thing for you,
I will look up the rules for prolonged sprinting. Also which direction did you bolt? You can go North (where it splits in two as it meets the district wall) or South (where it eventually splits three ways as you enter the town square)?

finaldooms
2017-08-29, 08:31 PM
Err ignores the voice and spends his time looking,over the,goods in the shop untill he finally decides to move over to the counter
after looking over your wares..ive decided you might have what i need..im looking for a wand of cure MINOR wounds, i know light is 750gp so minor should be cheaper..i must assist a duskblade with some minor tasks

Err also produces a list of. 1st lvl spells ( pbh1 remaining spells,and phb 2 remaining spells)
i also need these in scroll form if possible to increase my,repitore

ClericalTank
2017-08-29, 09:08 PM
Hmm... Well you're in luck, because I've got a twofer on Conjurations going. Nobody ever seemed to want to buy any of the Cure spells other than Light, so I've got plenty of Cure Minor's lying around.
Thing is, it ain't exactly a twofer; we're a man down so we can't sell them at our usual low prices...anyway, that'll be 400 gold for two fully charged wands. As for the spells here? ...Hmm, I'll hafta check and see if we got all these in stock. One sec... The clerk lifts the curtain behind him and disappears beyond it. You can hear some incantations going off. They're just Detect Magic, Mage Hand, and a...a counting spell? When the heck was THAT made? It sounds mundane AND incredible all at once! You don't care too much about it though.Don't make me look up what you don't have like that... [roll0] (hope that works...otherwise you've already overwhelmed me.)

ClericalTank
2017-08-29, 09:32 PM
Right, here we are. Just had to look for the disorganized, rainbow-colored ones. The clerk reappears from behind the curtain and sets down four scrolls on the table. Now, we certainly don't have EVERYTHING, because the last shipment was supposed to get here three days ago; but here's what we DO have. Here we got...let's see...Tripping Hands, Mage Armor, and Expeditious Retreat. We've another here with Mount, Endure Elements, and Enlarge Person. This other one's got Protection from Evil, Magic Missile, and Tenser's Floating Disk. The last one's got...Cause Fear, Remove Fear, and Featherfalling. Since some of those spells are Conjurations,
I oughta knock off some of the price...How's 275 for the scrolls sound?

finaldooms
2017-08-29, 10:53 PM
Err blinks slowly when the shopkeep offers such a low price then pulls out his money pouch and counts out 775gp

i take it you are the proprietor of this shop Tal correct? Its rare that a lesser race brings this much joy to one such as myself ( gruff voice means not a grey elf) i will most likely find myself stopping in frequently with how generous you have been,and i hope this extra 100 gold will keep our sudden new friendship in a...golden light err is unable to hide his pleasure at such a great deal ( ima just copy,and paste your post to the ooc and il edit later)

finaldooms
2017-08-29, 10:55 PM
And just for the heck,of it...
[roll0]

...on success
ah i love when magic is being utilized properly

CNFish
2017-08-29, 11:05 PM
Aushtyn sprints off to the north intent on his training. he moves swiftly taking only right turns. as he remembers, shopping doesn't always take long so he probably doesn't have time to lap the city... so he just makes right turns every so often as to run in a circle. making a lap at the bar that way he can keep an eye out on his companion and leave promptly.

ClericalTank
2017-08-30, 07:36 AM
I will most likely find myself stopping in frequently with how generous you have been
Tal shakes his head, confirming Err's presumption. Don't mention it. It's kinda dog-eat-dog out there, and it's just sad to see how much people care about supply and demand these days...It's like some cruel game merchants have to play with the customers, and I don't care much for it...anyway, you and your generosity are welcome here anytime, kind sir. Now, here's the scrolls, and...right, the wands. Tal reaches under the counter and pulls out two wands. He stares at them to check their aura, and he sets them aside. Wrong ones, haha...unless ya wanna buy Critical Wounds...That will be extra though. He searches under the counter for a bit, and after some clanking and clattering he pulls out another two wands. These're the ones you want. Thank you for spending your hard earned money (and then some) here at Tal's, mister...? His face, while equally as rough as his voice, emits a soft happiness. He was all too ecstatic to see his sort of attitude paid off...and from an elf, no less. And, after hearing the spell and properly identifying it (basically destroying the DC, as expected), Err can now research Easy Math whenever he wants to at a +5 bonus. I modified it to fit the Sorc/Wiz list and gave it more versatility because I find this spell to be hilariously awesome. It basically counts anything with no chance of error (and no stipulations) as a swift action. It won't give you any bonuses though, because it's a cantrip. As you're sprinting, you eventually encounter random guard patrols. Look at that guy, they each say to one of their members, pointing directly at you as you pass by. Nah, he seems all right. You circle around the Market District as the sun continues to fade from the sky. Lights are being turned on in most of the windows you run past. Eventually, you hear a howling. There is a dog, black as the night with a hefty coat of fur...he almost looks like a wolf. When he's done howling, he saunters off down an alleyway, looking a little upset. That's funny...the moon isn't even out.

CNFish
2017-08-30, 03:24 PM
[roll0]

if pass: Interesting Aushtyn thinks to himself This could be a good warm-up to the night. he then heads in the direction of the wolf.

if failed: he continues on his run, until he runs into Err whenever he's done shopping

ClericalTank
2017-08-30, 03:42 PM
Aushtyn, paying even less attention than usual to anything that wasn't him, manages to trip over someone...small. Make a dc 12 reflex save to keep going and avoid taking [roll0] nonlethal. HEY!! Damn Hooman, yew watch where going! A yappy (or is it yippy?) voice calls out to Aushtyn, then mutters in Draconic.Just because you think you're strong and tall doesn't mean we don't exist...

finaldooms
2017-08-30, 03:54 PM
Err starts packing his items and pauses briefly Of course , my,name,is erronious..err by,my new friends..il be sure to drop by again soon
He then leaves the store and goes back to the notice board to,wait on aus
...where is that blasted,man

CNFish
2017-08-30, 04:16 PM
[roll0]

If pass: aushtyn continues on, ignoring the tiny voice in his pursuit to get back to err.

If failed: aushtyn tumbles over the tiny creature and is infuriated, how could he (the creature) not notice he was coming this way and manage to move out the way.
... grrr! If i were you id disappear now...

[roll1] intimidate

ClericalTank
2017-08-30, 04:43 PM
Are you gonna do this every game? I wasn't gonna make her a DWK....but now I really want to.
Anyway, have a taste of your own medicine. [roll0]-4 size (because I'm guessing your roll was without the +4)The kobold blinks twice, expecting something to happen....Not impressed, Hooman. Me tired, so apologee now...or witness Bahamut.She slinks away, still muttering in Draconic. Honestly, we're descended from dragons...everyone loves dragons, but hates kobolds...nobody visits Bahamut because he's great; they just wanna breathe fire......Eek! the kobold runs away, leaving behind a medallion of some sort.Based on the detail, the material, and the weight, this is a sort of spell focus for those who wish to utilize power borrowed from the gods.

CNFish
2017-08-30, 04:51 PM
bah, you should apologize to me, cuz you ugly! Haha. as he sprints away full speed

ClericalTank
2017-08-30, 05:32 PM
No murdering humans, Keke...but I really don't like that guy. The kobold disappears into the darkened cityscape.

It's now officially nighttime, and the guards have started to go around lighting torches.

Aushtyn finally meets up with Err, who is waiting impatiently. Err auto passes due to elven senses.

Music is playing from the tavern. Slow, graceful music.

finaldooms
2017-08-30, 06:43 PM
my gods aust what took you so long ,ive literally been waiting here for hours..at least the music is nice

CNFish
2017-08-30, 07:31 PM
dont know, quite honestly. A quick trip around the sqaure a few times shouldnt equal and hour hahaha. Plus had a run in with this godforsaken creature that tripped me... either way did you get all the gear you needed? If so lets rest and be on our way tommorow bright and early! My blade is itching for a fight.

finaldooms
2017-08-30, 08:04 PM
Err speaks slowly and clearly in common since he realizes his compatriot might be missing cells
...we never picked what we are doing aust...maybe a hospital,trip first?

CNFish
2017-08-30, 09:09 PM
hahaha, your right! Maybe i hit my head harder on that falk than i thought. Oh well, lets pick off these bounties shall we,

finaldooms
2017-08-30, 09:38 PM
bounties really? ...sigh fine i did say id help you
Err walks into the tavern to go back to the board and get some information on all of the bounties i guess

CNFish
2017-08-30, 10:11 PM
Aushtyn follows close behind.
less'n you have a better idea for a test of str? his raises an eyebrow in a sarcastic way. besides ehat could be better than bringing down low-lifes while also improving your strengths! aushtyn sits down at the bar, goes to get the bartenders attention and order liqour.

finaldooms
2017-08-30, 10:24 PM
Err checks the chronometer to see the time,and day
well there is the arena you bumpkin..and how bout,something simple,like a missing dog or even sewer watch

ClericalTank
2017-08-30, 10:46 PM
The pair enter the tavern to see...two humans, a half-elf, two identical kobolds, and a gnome. One of the kobolds is lounging around behind the counter while the other is cleaning the counter itself (which is weird, because it already shines so clearly they could probably see you walk in without facing the door). The half-elf (the "poor fellow" from before) is still studying diligently. The two humans are sitting in front of a stage, thoroughly enjoying the music being provided by the gnome as he plays a graceful ballad with a piano and vocals that sound more akin to elvish as opposed to anything a normal gnome could produce.

The kobolds look up from the ground to see Err and Aus, but they just keep doing what they're doing. When Aushtyn sits down to order a drink, the kobold lying around decides to get up to take a long, deliberate look at him. My friend Keke just came in ranting about some doofus who tripped over her and refused to apologize...and you look just like her description. As far as songs in common go, the lyrics don't make much sense (grammatically, at least), but they still bring to mind the idea of being one with not just nature, but with oneself as well. The piano play is soft and as simple as it comes: simple scales with a straight rhythm. By feeling the music rather than listening to it, the imagery becomes clear and your heart flutters as if it were actually soaring through unmolested skies to the horizons beyond.

CNFish
2017-08-30, 11:22 PM
Aushtyn gets up from the bar, as he seems to have lost his thirst, he leans over to err, and whispers in his ear. ugh, ugly beasts. Get us a room shall ya, ill pay ya back later. aushtyn then proceeds over to the stage area to listen to the tunes.

ClericalTank
2017-08-30, 11:45 PM
Just as Aushtyn sits down, the song is over, and everyone (except the half-elf; he's still buried in his book) begins to applaud. The gnome gets up to take a bow and the piano vanishes into smoke. Thanks, you guys; I know the night's slow, but I'm happy to see such joy from my employees...and Justin. I know you're smiling over there! Get back to those notes; Draguire's schools are no joke! Anyway, I've got some...business to attend to, so make sure you all have got this weeks pay when you leave in the morning.

The gnome (who, according to the cheers of one of the humans, goes by the name of Horace) approaches the counter and converses with the kobolds. From the door leading to what you can only assume is the bathroom, another kobold emerges to sit at the counter. After a bit of conversation between the four, Horace looks at Aushtyn, and approaches him with a sincere set of eyes.
So you've returned. Didja come to buy a drink or somethin?

finaldooms
2017-08-31, 12:17 AM
[roll0] with my keen elf ears

Err claps softly as the,music ends and goes fo the counter for a room for 2.separate beds ofc
room for 2 with separate beds? I had not,realized id be stuck in this place a whole day.., err blinks this town i mean, not tge tavern..im quite pleased with tge tavern

ClericalTank
2017-08-31, 12:46 AM
It's all in draconic (which you still have, last I checked).

Innkeeper: Is that the guy?
Lazy kobold: Dunno; he just called me disgusting and found a table instead of getting a drink.
Cleaning kobold: Sure was rude...yupyupyup.
(Third Kobold walks in)
Innkeeper: Well, he isn't causing any trouble, so unless I hear that it's really the guy, I'm just gonna kick him out.
Third kobold: What're you doing? That's him!
Innkeeper: You're sure? Okay, okay...I know his type...sit tight and maybe I can get this resolved.
room for 2 with separate beds? I had not,realized id be stuck in this place a whole day.., this town i mean, not tge tavern..im quite pleased with tge tavern The lazy kobold looks directly at Err. Not counting breakfast or anything, that's eight silver. If you wanna add unlimited food and drinks, that's gonna cost a little more. He says with a tone that says "I'm annoyed, just not with you."

finaldooms
2017-08-31, 01:33 AM
Once again in fluent draconic err asks the kobold as funny as this probably will be, what did the...being with a snarky attitude do?
Also..i feel like 8 silvers is a tad high for just. A 2bed room ..6 seems better for here and il offer to translate tonight if needed? Im fluent in,many languages and with just a few mins i can cast a simple spell to speak all languages

ClericalTank
2017-08-31, 02:31 AM
The kobold that walked in replies.The eight silver is worth it, believe me...but if you want to translate my words to this...dipstick, feel free; I'll pay the two silver for it. As for what he did? He tripped over me, tried to tell me it's MY fault, then insulted me as he sprinted off! He's just plain rude; one of those types what needs to be taught a lesson, else they will just run rampant; stealing randomly, terrorizing townsfolk, and the like. Pops'll show him what it means to be strong! Wait...You're not...with him, right? I mean, who would want to spend their time with someone who behaves the way he does?

finaldooms
2017-08-31, 03:28 AM
sadly i...know him but ive been wanting to see what happens when i do this anyways. So il help take care of it with much less fuss if thats ok
Plusm.the guy is a **** and thats something comming from a grey elf

err moves slightly to ensure no one else is caught in the cone as he readies color spray to cast on austyn if he does anything other than apologize
Color Spray
Illusion (Pattern) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 15 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
A vivid cone of clashing colors springs forth from your hand, causing creatures to become stunned, perhaps also blinded, and possibly knocking them unconscious.

Each creature within the cone is affected according to its Hit Dice.

2 HD or less
The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD
The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD
The creature is stunned for 1 round.

Sightless creatures are not affected by color spray.

If failed then err follows up with grease. Centered on ayuts sword

ClericalTank
2017-08-31, 08:59 AM
Horace, after overhearing the conversations, sets out a laugh. I get it now. You're one of those "I'm always training" types. You don't have any particular reason for it, other than wanting to break your own limits. That's one of the reasons why I like you humans: you'll always find an excuse to remain in a constant state of turmoil. That said, I couldn't help but notice your interest in the Arena. Since, by your physique, you seem to favor melee combat over spells, why don't I--we-- help you get stronger? We're actually (well, most of us, anyway) pretty darn good at fighting, as it turns out.As far as you can tell, he is being sincere in his approach and doesn't seem to have any ill intent whatsoever.

CNFish
2017-08-31, 09:04 AM
(this is a reply to the one dude..)
Was going to, after a long run, something to quench a thirst is much appreciated.

Aushtyn notices all of the kobolds walking in and conversing, and feels like at this point he'd rather have the company of the stars than this rubble. But now I feel like id rather go thirsty. he stands and goes to move outside and find a place to throw his bedroll.

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

I feel like I should be able to take 20 on one of these actions? so if yes, then whichever one gets me to my goal ill take 20 on... if not just use the numbers.

CNFish
2017-08-31, 09:06 AM
Haha, now that sounds more like it. I'm always up for a chance to improve myself!

[roll0]

ClericalTank
2017-08-31, 09:33 AM
Thought so. Right, then... The gnome raises his voice so that the entire tavern can hear. Ladies and gents, have I got a show for you tonight! Yes, you too, Justin; you can close your book for now. This young man wishes to be placed into the Arena! He's probably looking for some prize money, so let's get him straight to the top! Clear the stage, you two. Let's see, his first opponent...is gonna be... well, I can't decide for now, but we'll get to that. Before that though, we've got some rules:
First off, this is gonna be a fists-ONLY duel. That's right folks, no magic! We don't wanna overwhelm the poor fellow, after all. Should you try any magic on that stage, it WILL get wonky, so be careful if you do!
Second, we are not trying to kill him, so go as easy as you can to give him a chance!
Third, and this should go without saying, no magic equipment! This includes Rings of Protection (we WILL spot it, don't worry about that)!
Finally, if this newbie should take out even a single one of us, he and his friend...get to stay for free! Food and all!.

You're gonna fight...that kobold. Hop on to the arena, kid; ya just have to beat this one kobold to stay free, and if you lose? Well, maybe I'll let you stay anyway, and we can train ya. The humans have finished clearing the stage. and Justin has locked the door to the outside.You can cancel your readied action if you wish.This is also a new spell, meant for increasing the range of one's voice. This can be researched if you beat the DC by 5 or more. (Trying to be consistent with my rules, and I just re-read spellcraft to see that I was already doing it wrong so... does that sound fair?)

CNFish
2017-08-31, 10:37 AM
[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Spellcraft

Aushtyn Steps up to the stage and see's his opponent. A lowly kobold? he chuckles
This is gon'be fun! as he raises his fist and takes his fighting stance.

Whenever the fight proceeds to begin Aushtyn makes a sweeping step forward to knock the kobold off balance and then uppercut!

[roll2] (+4 for str, -4 for size modif. due to fighting a smaller creature.)
[roll3] non-lethal damage.

CNFish
2017-08-31, 10:48 AM
Confirming crit.

[roll0]

finaldooms
2017-08-31, 12:40 PM
Spot [roll0]
Spellct[roll1] ty for consistent and wis [roll2]

If wis is passed i cancel..if right after the ...gnome? Finishes speaking my action goes off..woops

If he passed also...oh i guess a friendly duel works as well...he is guna get his ass kicked isnt he

finaldooms
2017-08-31, 01:08 PM
Since i failed
Err looks..embarrassed woops ...sorry about that..my fingers jumped the gun

ClericalTank
2017-08-31, 02:01 PM
Aushtyn's Will Save: [roll0](I'm going to assume you went out of your way to keep just Aushtyn in the cone.) Huh....I suppose that works too, but I mean...where's the fun in magic when the poor little guy can't even handle it? Nah, when he wakes up from that whammy, Keke'll show him what-for. As for you: I appreciate the help, but stay outta this. Besides, isn't he your acquaintance or something? After [roll1] rounds of being unconscious, blinded, and stunned (in that order), Aushtyn is back to full strength (one of the employees decided to help him recover so his nonlethal is healed). Otherwise nothing happens other than the crew of The Misgnomer end up looking at Err seeming to be slightly upset.

finaldooms
2017-08-31, 02:08 PM
Err shrugs slightlyi get antsy without using magic for the day...plus im sure you know the feeling of wanting to just hit someone

ClericalTank
2017-08-31, 02:50 PM
The crew shrugs back, then at each other. ...Eh. I should've put a sign up anyway, so no harm, no foul. Is everything ready? Says the gnome. The crew give him the thumbs-up, and Aushtyn is shoved up onto the stage (by three of the crewmembers). His kobold opponent is also hurried onto the stage, and at first she looks confused. When she realizes that a duel is afoot, she takes a moment to bow before her opponent. Horace summons a set of drums and begins playing some impressive rhythms. Both members of the duel feel all too confident in their abilities from a sort of inspiration brought about by the drums.Aushtyn is not letting his opportunity go to waste, however, and as the kobold bows he swiftly and precisely aims for her noggin. The blow was enough to possibly shatter her jawbone as he deals 22 points of nonlethal damage!

Sadly though, the kobold still stands, and almost smiles at the blow. It's like she was testing him, letting him hit her to gauge just how strong he is. She spits out a bit of blood and taunts him in draconic. Think you're gonna take me down with your luckiest shot? It's almost scary how cocky humans get just because I'm a kobold. We...are descended from DRAGONS! The most fearsome creatures in the land! It's amazing how much me and my fellow initiates want to help people like you despite your tendencies. But I have laws to abide by, and this? This is for your own good. Dice roll...REVEAL!
Those first two d20's? Those were Initiative and anti-intimidate rolls. The rest of the rolls in that set were supposed to be the base attack rolls for the entirety of the fight. The second set was damage rolls in correspondence to those attack rolls. The Third? Just confirmed the first punch as a critical with max damage.In a mere instant, the kobold's right fist collides with Aushtyn's gut and almost sends him flying (almost...well sorta). The 16 points of nonlethal damage brings him to the floor as he slowly collapses. The final word Aushtyn hears before he falls unconscious is (in draconic of course)Apologize. Then, when everyone realizes what has just transpired, the Gnome pulls out a wand and touches Aushtyn with it(It's cure minor, duh). Soon enough, he wakes up to see the crew of the Misgnomer huddled around him. Wow...that was a real, solid try! It's too bad ya both got so lucky; I'd love to see you try that again! The gnome says.There was debate on criticals...and I got mods wrong. You were 2 points off.

finaldooms
2017-08-31, 06:57 PM
Err laughs whem he sees aus get downed in a single blow
thats how you show the might of a dragon descendant hahaha
Back in common that was a pleasant sight for my eyes ..sorry about missing with my spray...now about that room?

ClericalTank
2017-08-31, 10:41 PM
now about that room?

Two of our finest beds, and unlimited food and drink, all for free. Worry not about your friend; we'll make sure he's able to at least walk in the morning. Horace tells Err.

Justin unlocks the door, and to the crew's surprise, a swarm of onlookers come flooding through.

That kobold knocked a fully grown man down in one punch! One punch!
That poor sod didn't stand a chance!
To be weaker than a kobold...must have been a fluke.
No way! They both landed a vital strike! The kobold was even caught off-guard!
Is that kobold really a kobold?
The better question is "is that human even a human?"
There had to have been magic involved!

All these voices and more made up a generous portion of the hurricane of noise that is known as a "busy night". The crew of the Misgnomer jumps into an all hands on deck situation in a matter of seconds. Aushtyn has been carried over to his room to recover, but Keke has disappeared somewhere.

CNFish
2017-08-31, 10:50 PM
Aushtyn wakes almost amazed by the stupid power of a tiny creature... but shrugs it off anyways. he is still better than that creature at any rate (I really dislike kobolds...)

He gets up to his feet to see his opponent. Heh, mangy beast. ya got lucky is all. ah well, Good fight anyways... as he begrudgingly raises his fist for a fighters bump.

He then proceeds to lick his wounds in the comfort of a bed, having a new found respect for kobolds. (though still highly disliking them.)

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 12:59 AM
well im never one to,pass up free room,and board...before i go,to bed is there anything aaide from the arena you would recommend mr squish and me doing?

CNFish
2017-09-01, 01:05 AM
..... Aushtyn hears err's quip for being squishy on his way to the room... he stops short at the door, turns and casts a spell!!

Bigby's Tripping Hand
(Player's Handbook II)

Evocation [Force]
Level: Duskblade 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1,
Components: V, S, M,
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex negates

A large glowing hand, the size of a human torso, appears in front of the creature and sweeps at its legs.
The large hand sweeps at the target creature's legs in a tripping maneuver (PH 158).
This trip attempt does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Its attack bonus equals your caster level + your key ability modifier + 2 for the hand's Strength score (14).
The hand has a bonus of +1 on the trip attempt for every three caster levels, to a maximum of +5 at 15th level.
Material Components: Three glass beads.

[roll0]

.... ****.. That beast was unusually strong...

ClericalTank
2017-09-01, 07:35 AM
..... Aushtyn hears err's quip for being squishy on his way to the room... he stops short at the door, turns and casts a spell!!

A large glowing hand, the size of a human torso, appears in front of the creature and sweeps at its legs.

So, I know there aren't facing rules, but line of sight and effect still apply. Also I would like you to roll before saying you heard something from across the room while a commotion is going on. (That's -11 total to your listen check btw...).

[roll0] +4 for sturdy and +3 for str
[roll1] I'm gonna start rolling for you if you don't put them in your posts!By the Soul Forger's Hammer! Wha' th' hell was THA'? A dwarf looks flustered.
Just the loser...being sore. One of the other patrons tells him.
Bah...Lose wit Dignity an' Honor, ya lowlife!...I thot magic was no' allowed in taverns..........neat.

ClericalTank
2017-09-01, 08:14 AM
well im never one to,pass up free room,and board...before i go,to bed is there anything aaide from the arena you would recommend mr squish and me doing?
Well that sewer thing could help you get tougher for the arena...remember, prelims start on Monday, so you've got six days before that becomes relevant. I wasn't lying about wanting to train you two, so if you wanna spend those six days training with us, we know a place.

Riffraff ought to be a decent start, if you're looking at bounties. The warning says he's a powerful mage, but that's just because they have to assume he can use all the spells he's got. We know all about him; even if he could cast spells, he wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn with a Cone of Cold. He is physically adept, though, so make sure you keep him at bay if you're gonna fight him and his crew.

You can always just go sightseeing; you never know what'll happen when you're out and about.

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 09:39 AM
well thanks for the tips im headed to bed sir err moves to bed and notices a hand suddenly try to trip a dwarf on his way was that a bigsby spell? ..weird il have to get that later

ClericalTank
2017-09-01, 12:55 PM
The duo go to sleep for the night. Apart from a lack of decor, what little the rooms do have is soothing and cozy. The rooms are soundproofed and the beds are soft, so they sleep soundly for the rest of the night without disturbance.For making a friend, 275 xp -- Erronious!
For surviving an encounter with a 4th level character as 2nd level, 312 (-75% for not defeating and getting knocked out) xp -- Aushtyn!
For trying to help the half-elf with draconic, resolve the nuisance, etc, 50 xp -- Erronious!

Totals:
Erronious: 1325/3000 xp
Aushtyn: 1312/3000 xp

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 01:46 PM
Err wakes up feeling refreshed! He asks aust if thry jave time ( about 3 hrs) and if so
mage armor [roll0]
Tripping hand [roll1]
Magic missle [roll2]
If passed i copy the spell into my book and have learned it
If failed i cant try again untill,my,spellcraft changes

After doing so err spends time ( 1 hr i think it is)studying his book and keeps the same spells but changes 1 burning rage into another color spray

CNFish
2017-09-01, 02:41 PM
Aushtyn Sleeps soundly, and tries his best to wake an hour earlier than everyone else for some training. once he passes by err's door and assumes he is still sleeping. he passes on by to continue his training and will return in an hour or so. (So I never got the question... so assume you have time.)

ClericalTank
2017-09-01, 05:01 PM
Err decides to learn some spells! After three hours he learns them all! He also spends some time (15 minutes really, since it's just two spells being changed/prepped) with his already known spells!

Aushtyn on the other hand, goes to do his morning workout! He takes 1.5 hours as he learns the route he wants to take to avoid dead ends. While he does this, however, the guards eyeball him with raised suspicion.

Should Aushtyn choose to accept it:
Humiliating Fear (kobold)
After a traumatic and humiliating experience with a creature, you hate every single one of its kind. Fear is fear, however, as those creatures still hold enormous sway over your mind.

With this trait, choose a creature race. When fighting creatures of that race, you get a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls against that creature. However, you take a -4 penalty against fear effects (including demoralize) from creatures of that type.
Special: you cannot become immune to fear, and you must not already be immune to fear to receive this trait.By the time both of them are done, it's nearly noon.

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 05:22 PM
( we were sharing a room austyn)
Anyways after err finishes his studys and prep he goes downstairs for food,and drink
hello kobold being? Horace? Im ready for my free food,and drink,before,i hunt..rafletafy or,whatever his name,was

ClericalTank
2017-09-01, 05:31 PM
Horace hollers from the kitchen. Took ya long enough! Nearly everyone else left, and we're in between shifts...so whaddaya want? I've only got some steak and onions prepped, but if ya want something else I'll be happy to see if we've got it! Give your buddy my thanks, by the way; we sold nearly half our shipment of spirits for the week in a single night!

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 05:35 PM
steak ans onions is...fine once i find aust il,inform him,and we shall be on our way

ClericalTank
2017-09-01, 06:59 PM
After waiting 15 minutes, Err is given an 18 ounce rib-eye generously covered in sauteed onions. The steak has been cooked medium well and came with a steamed potato, assorted vegetables, and orange juice.

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 08:15 PM
Err is once again surprised oh wow i didnt expect all this after hours..it looks wonderful......and tastes amazing
He quickly finishes his plate and then goes to,leave btw...have you seen aust? Or have hints where riftlerafle is?

ClericalTank
2017-09-01, 09:08 PM
He's been doing laps round the district. Dunno why he doesn't want to spend his spare time sparring, but whatever. As for Riffraff, he's usually been seen in the poorer parts of the city, like the temple district and such, but I've heard very recently that he's been spending time in the nearby graveyard; It's by Dina's bazaar on the western side of the market district. One sec... Horace pulls out a drawer and from it a pencil and a map of the district. He marks the graveyard with an "X" and hands the map to Err. There's where ya wanna start, and here's The Misgnomer, in case you ever wanna come back. Keep the map; I've got plenty.

CNFish
2017-09-01, 09:56 PM
Technically Aushtyn started his morning run before Err awoke. and if he spent 1.5 hours doing laps, he'd still be done with everything while err is learning and prepping spells by 2.5 hours worth. (or less.) either way I should've been done with time to spare. so Lets just say I got my early morning meal with the rest of the people and went back to training, I went with the bard to do some sparring. if that helps.

else just ignore any of this I guesss. also, sure I will except the trait I guess.

Aushtyn walks back in from his morning workout, it was a long a brutal workout and one that he will likely remember tomorrow. he see's Err sitting at the bar its noon..... why is that dang elf already drinkin He thinks to himself. We are supposed to be getting stronger, not weaker with drink. He then approaches Err. Are ye finally done prepping your magic? is it time to go get that riffraff dude? ive been itching for a real test of my talents since late last night!

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 10:36 PM
there you are..and yes im ready you fool,.plus weve seen how well your talents work on kobolds like riffraf
He bows to horace thank you for all your generous help. .we will be on our way..but im sure we will be back
Err now is ready to leave...and go to a weapon shop cause he messed up and SHOULD NOT BE USING A BOW woops..,he needs a hand xbow

CNFish
2017-09-01, 10:52 PM
Aushtyn tags along with err on his shopping duties, waiting for the chance to hunt down this riffraff that they call.... riffraff... (lol....)

finaldooms
2017-09-01, 11:49 PM
For the sake of the game..err finds a weapons vendor and sells his longbow and gives an extra 25 gold for a hand xbow ( will update later) and trades arrows for,bolts on a 1 1 basis

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 07:11 AM
The duo exit from Dina's bazaar and the graveyard is...like right next to them, according to the map. They couldn't miss it if they tried, because some unusually large doors lead into it.

finaldooms
2017-09-02, 12:29 PM
Err looks at the graveyard and back to the bazaar. ...they either have a lot of undead clients or this is literally the best they could afford...welp lets go see if rifraf is homeerr then waits for aust to go first since he has armor on

CNFish
2017-09-02, 01:10 PM
Aushtyn offers err the chance for a random go at it with a game of Boulders, Sycthe or Parchement!

[roll0]
1 = Boulder
2 = Scythe
3 = Parchment

If Aushtyn wins he winks at err, and motions him to go forward..

if he loses, he scoffs and gingerly walks into the graveyard...

else, if he doesn't accept... Aushtyn just waltz's into the graveyard like he doesn't have a care in the world.

finaldooms
2017-09-02, 02:04 PM
Err blinks,slowly..im not playing that when you have the sword sir and then follows aust into the gravryatd

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 03:08 PM
Aus and Err enter the graveyard (in that order) and are greeted by a loud, bellowing guard dog.

Gods forsake ye, Haggis! I've not got time fer erry bird ye decide wants to perch on a stone! The grave keeper approaches.

What can I do fer ye, masters? Yer not ere to feed the corpsers right? I've got fresh hangins if yer in need o moar friends...but ah can see ye've got one a'ready. He points at Aushtyn.

CNFish
2017-09-02, 03:24 PM
..... Aushtyn turns his head in confusement....

What in the divines is he talking about? he ask err..

finaldooms
2017-09-02, 04:11 PM
what languages do you speak aust? I just recalled your a bumbling buffoon
err is trying to get a chance to tell aust what languages he knows so they can have "private" talks dm what do i roll or do!! ( it its a roll i choose to take 5 and add my cha so thats ...7)
To the gravekeeper
...sorry im not very good with the...dialect your using..but are you asking if we are here to feed the dead? ..i admit the idea is tempting with this...morsel

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 04:55 PM
Just so we're clear, he knows draconic and giant....but I don't know about the gravekeeper. Just this once, I'll allow you to take 5 on the bluff; the gravekeeper won't spend a minute trying to figure it out.
Nah, th' corpsers! I figured ye fer one o' them, but seems your vic is...still alive. Did ye wanna start a collection? I've got plenty o' lowlives what want a new start...if ye know what I mean.By the way he says "corpser", he seems to be talking about necromancers; by collection, army of the dead.
Shaddup, Haggis! Or no food fer ye tonight!

CNFish
2017-09-02, 07:14 PM
Aushtyn is slightly confused by err's response..

[roll0] + 4

On Err's sense:
If passed: Aushtyn begins to speak in Giant, feeling that the Graveskeeper couldn't possibly know giant. .. does something not seem odd about this fella to you? I feel like he has rather a twisted mind...

If failed: continued blank expression...

On gravekeeper:
If Passed: Aushtyn keeps silent to see how err responds to the gravekeeper, after all he's always been better at speaking than he himself.
If Failed: .... What In the heck are you talking about!!! (If passed on Err's turn this into giant speaking, else its common.)

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 07:35 PM
Aus says something! But nobody knows what he's saying. Then he waits patiently for Err to do something...else.

finaldooms
2017-09-02, 08:25 PM
Err blinks. ..ugh the barbarian language of giant...refused to learn that one no matter....wait did you just call me a damn necromancer?!

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 08:31 PM
Gravekeeper shrugs. On'y people what come these days be corpsers and corpses. Sumfin else I can do for ye?

finaldooms
2017-09-02, 08:39 PM
Err is now obviously annoyed we came looking for where rifraf might be! We heard his gang was in the area

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 08:55 PM
Hmmm....yea big, funny beard, obsessed wit folklore from a different world, carries around a tiny diary? He's in th' catacombs. Kept tellin me the sign said "Dragon Below", fer some reason...

CNFish
2017-09-02, 09:20 PM
Aushtyn realizes the err actually doesnt know the language he is speakin and chuckles a bit. After all it is just part of the dumb luck he has been experiencing lately. Then at the end of the grave keepers last statement aushtyn says in plain common, thanks, and at the last moment in giant says yoda.. he then motions err on torwards wgwre riffraff is so aushtyn can finally test his sword skill against a worthy opponent

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 09:36 PM
So the duo goes into the catacombs (the sign just says "catacombs" by the way) without any further information! Real smart.I need these things in no particular order:
Marching order
Passive Spot/Listen
Out-of-combat movement rate
Once they enter the catacombs they are immediately greeted with dim lighting, cobwebs, and an unmistakably dead stench.

finaldooms
2017-09-02, 10:02 PM
Hmmm....yea big, funny beard, obsessed wit folklore from a different world, carries around a tiny diary? He's in th' catacombs. Kept tellin me the sign said "Dragon Below", fer some reason...
My response sorry am at work and,its holiday weekend

finally,an answer than....wait did you say a beard? Kobolds dont grow beards! How much drink have you had today? Calling me,a grey elf! , a necromancer and now saying it has a beard? Plus what catacomb? ? This is a graveyard! !! There are tons of them im sure err pauses for breath and tries to continue calmly huff huff.....look im sorry for exploding like that...since you said necromancers does that mean there is undead roaming about? If so skeletons,zombies,ghosts, headless horsemen? There are myriads of undead and if there are any i need to change my spells for the day
Err looks to aust i was not expecting an undead adventure this morning, if any are present i need to change just about all of my spells because mind effecting magic has no effect on the mind..omg your mindless!!!

ClericalTank
2017-09-02, 10:12 PM
I dunno. Had a beard, dint query it. Also d'ye expect a city NOT ta have a catacombs, what wit only two whole spots fer diggin graves in an th Draguires' mausolean? Natrally i mean th ones by that there tree. As fer th corpses, at times they walk, times they not. Corpsers usually take em afore they gets ta walkin.

CNFish
2017-09-02, 10:41 PM
Aushtyn greets errs response with a mighty bellow of enthusiasm then no spells! Haha then we get to see your true wit with a sword, brother

finaldooms
2017-09-03, 12:23 AM
Err scoffs at the idea aust can tell him what to do and promptly pulls outbhis spellbook and,finds a cleanish spot to,change his spells0-lvl acid splash 3x light 1x
1-lvl burning rage 1x shield 1x magic missile 2x
Once finished he tells aust only a fool goes unprepared, and if you really want to see me fight with a sword just wait a bit when we are stronger
if he keeps,on err will start trying to research the spell that is basically animated weapon ( i think its spell comp) i cast it on a weapon and it uses my int for attacks
If gatekeeper is still nearby
sorry about that.,and as enlightening as this has been we need to hurry,.is there anything we should,know before going there? Traps,mobsters,the size of rifrafs crew?

ClericalTank
2017-09-03, 07:04 AM
's jus' th fool wit a diary, far's I knows it...BUT...I also ne'er been since I were...tiny.

finaldooms
2017-09-03, 02:17 PM
of course....well i can think,of,nothng else to ask ya so many thanks
Err cant think of else aside from going back into the town for more info so he shrugs and has aust lead the way
Aust then err
15 ft a round ( being careful)
Spot and listen [roll0]+3

If i missed anything let me know

ClericalTank
2017-09-03, 04:10 PM
As before, the duo go into the Catacombs and are greeted with dim lighting and the stench of death and constant decay. When the stairs downward finish their descent, the hall continues into the distance, with a door to their immediate right.

finaldooms
2017-09-03, 04:23 PM
Err has low light vision..but just in case he turns on his lantern attached to his belt if there is no light source down here

ClericalTank
2017-09-03, 06:50 PM
You can now see, albeit very slightly and only with your low light vision, the end of the hall.
It doesn't seem to have anything of note, other than a book on a pedestal. You assume it's to keep track of the corpses...but didn't the gravekeeper say he hasn't been down here in a while?

finaldooms
2017-09-03, 08:23 PM
hey aust do you see that! err exclaims

CNFish
2017-09-03, 09:54 PM
... Hm? say what?... see what exactly? I cannot see anything... He tries to peer down the hallway only he cant see beyond the lighting of the lantern... soooo he moves forward until he can clearly see the book Err is referring too.. (10ft Extra cautious)

ClericalTank
2017-09-03, 10:01 PM
Aushtyn steps on a piece of stone, and it starts to sink a little!...nothing happens.
Perhaps the trap misfired? Or was it just a way to scare off the average "corpser"?

finaldooms
2017-09-03, 11:09 PM
well that was anticlimatic...i forgot your human eyes are not that strong
err follows in his exact steps being extra careful then pulls out a 10ft pole!!( never leave home without one folks) and proceeds to tap the floor ahead of them making progress extremely slow

ClericalTank
2017-09-03, 11:18 PM
The elf decides to be super extra cautious! And, as it turns out... a lot of the stones sink in a similar fashion. However, Err's eleven senses don't pick up any sounds until he hears a click sound from behind the party. Still nothing.

CNFish
2017-09-03, 11:27 PM
[roll0]

Well that was weird... Aushtyn says to himself. But I'm still alive so I guess ill continue! he blurts out.
he then only steps on the stone that err has touched and didn't sink, or otherwise nothing happened when pressed by the 10' pole...

You ever get the feeling that all these failed traps are meant to secure a false sense of security??.. haha that would be dumb though... oh well..

He continues down until he can clearly see the journal.

ClericalTank
2017-09-03, 11:34 PM
The book is really dusty, and the title of the cover is obscured from it.
Prop...Ex........ne

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 12:12 AM
Prop...ex...ne hmmm
Well no harm done here... Err then goes..hey aust il give you 5 gold to grab that book for me,since your obviously stronger than me and,i dont think i could lift it

CNFish
2017-09-04, 12:24 AM
Aushtyn hears errs retort.

Hmm. ok, its just a book.. cant see no harm in just picking it up.. aushtyn goes to pick up the book when a sudden realization comes to mind. Wait! this could be a trap!.... the realization then passes (Not very wise...) Ah, that's just absurd nothing else in this tomb was a trap he then quickly grabs for the book. blowin the dust off as soon as he picks it up with a huge grin on his face..

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 07:31 AM
The book says:

Encyclopedia of Traps

Property of: Explosive Rune

Wait..."explosive rune" isn't a pers--

AND...
[roll0]...of NONlethal damage! You are probably knocked out...and if you don't get knocked out instantly, I'll give you a cookie.
This...is some twisted bootleg of a real spell called Explosive Rune. Instead of dealing Force damage, it deals Nonlethal damage. It also allows a save...for some reason.

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 07:40 AM
ohhhhhh i figured out wjat,i.....boom!!!
..t said.... Welp he is dead err goes over to loot aus and is surrised to see him fine!! Just unconscious with no fatal injuries huh...must have been a fake version of the explosive rune spell. ...welp since he isnt dead err pulls out a wand of cure minor and proceeds to start taping aus aimjng for a heal

here we go [roll0] if passes aus is concious at max hp of non lethal. (-1 charge)

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 07:44 AM
hmmm this might be a problem err keeps at it!!
[roll0]+10 go go,rolls

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 07:46 AM
The wand fizzles and stops,working!!
good thing i bought 2 ....
Err pulls out another wand and repeats!!
[roll0]+10 go go go

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 07:47 AM
Aus regains 8 hp ( remove 8 non lethal damage) and then the wand fizzles as,well!
****!! Stupid sticks

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 08:26 AM
Aus wakes up again! The book is on the floor, beaten up but still intact. However, right before their very eyes, the book seems to...revert to its original polished state. The two hear a voice in their heads.

Leave it to the creators to make such an artful deterrent...and a rude awakening. Gray one! Yes you, the one who's still able to stand and can clearly use magic! What is the year of our Morning Lord?The Morning Lord refers to Lathander, a god of the sun and of rebirth. He uses the same date as most other gods.The first global religions established their rule not more than 1,247 years ago; this is the year the voice must be referring to.

CNFish
2017-09-04, 09:49 AM
are ypu guys not gonna wait until i atleast try the save... lol.
Here goes nothing

[roll0]

If failed ill continue asis played out so far..

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 02:01 PM
Err blinks a bit surprised [roll0] int check

grey one? ....you know what thats close enough
Anyways i myself,am not a,follower of the morning lord but it has been 1247 years. Oh disembodied voices...and i forgot my chronometer or id tell ya the da...its a tuesday because the arena fight is. Week from yesterday! Aha!! Now im getting my time right

CNFish
2017-09-04, 02:10 PM
Aushtyn just sets off to the side... a bit miffed from the trap... how could he be so careless. Oh well he thinks..

so dismbodied voices are you gonna help us or are we wasting our time here.

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 02:30 PM
You? Wasting YOUR time here? I've got all the time to spare, and yet for some reason the runes triggered and woke me 753 years too early. Why do they even bother if they're not going to get the time right?

...what a bother. I might as well do something.
In that moment the Encyclopedia of Traps rises from the floor.

Hail. Mind if I join you for...whatever it is you're doing?

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 03:57 PM
what manner of being are you? And we are hunting for a kobold with a beard if that sounds..intresting err asks the book

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 04:18 PM
A kobold....? Ah yes, those little dragonblooded rats. You said it had a beard? That's quite odd...although it was postulated they might grow them, just not...so soon.

As for what I am...well, I'm a sentient book...I thought that was...self explanatory--was evolution a myth this whole time? Obviously not, since kobolds can now grow beards apparently...

Anyway! I could help...kobolds are known for traps and as you can see...i know most if not all of them.

CNFish
2017-09-04, 08:25 PM
well beards is a loose term.. technically a male turkey has a 'beard' aushtyn says as he does finger quotes in the air. and I'm guessing your worst enemy is fire and water... why are you down here in a damp dark crypt if your a sentient object?

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 08:33 PM
Well I was programmed to know all about traps so I assume my purpose is to help people bypass the traps in The Vau--wait, did you just say "dark crypt"? You mean you're not looking for a kobold who's after the Tale of Ten Thousand, but just a normal kobold skulking around in a crypt? The hell AM I doing here?

CNFish
2017-09-04, 09:21 PM
.... nope. Just a kobold micheif maker. And im assuming your referencing to a book or an old scroll of some kind? Sounds boring as aushtyn lols

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 09:25 PM
no a beard is hair...wait tale of ten thousand? Sounds...pricey and can you disarm traps or just tell us they are...vault?!?

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 09:39 PM
Well...sort of. I can tell you a lot ABOUT traps, and I can sometimes point out the most obvious ones... but as far as disarming them...I don't have arms. Furthermore, as I take it that I am no longer located in The Vault, my trapfinding skills will be ever more limited. I must reiterate, however, that neither I nor The Vault were supposed to have been re-activated until the turn of the next millennium.

CNFish
2017-09-04, 09:40 PM
while i may lack common sense sir, a beardis anything that hangs off the face of a creature... hence... turkeys... wait whats this about a vualt?

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 09:47 PM
Yes...The Vault...Master Xan'dierith created it to house all the powers of...don't you have a kobold to apprehend?

CNFish
2017-09-04, 09:50 PM
dont you have children to bore to death?.. now cmon tell us more about this vault

ClericalTank
2017-09-04, 10:16 PM
...I'm pretty sure there's an enumeration in my variables page that classifies you as the kind of person with little interest in the fine arts...you probably don't even know how Prestidigitation works...

Thus I turn to you, elf. You seem to be more complex than an array of spontaneous interests...and might have the ability to multitask. Do you mind if I fill you in while you subdue the kobold?

finaldooms
2017-09-04, 11:51 PM
Err has spent the past several minutes thinking and finally responds..aus shut up this might be important
As to the matter of you following us i see no problem with it for now..just do try to keep quiet when we have to sneak around.its hard enough sneaking in these blasted robes err lifts a bit of robe for emphasis
you can help us bypass or spot some of the traps that are bout to be around here anyways so lets go back to that door we passed...btw does your spell reset?
After asking the group might notice err has been keeping a hand angled enough to not read the words explosive rune once more

ClericalTank
2017-09-05, 06:21 AM
...Are you referring to the rune on my cover? ...well, no... I am 98 percent certain that this doesn't reset...which would mean I have no way of waking up, should I fall into dormancy again.

finaldooms
2017-09-05, 06:52 AM
that 2% bothers me....il just keep my eyes off that rune just to be safe...and if it really bothers you i should be able to refresh it at a later time when im more experienced in my spells

CNFish
2017-09-05, 09:01 AM
Aushtyn not paying much attention looks at the books cover again and reads explosive rune....

ClericalTank
2017-09-05, 11:03 AM
I see evolution and intelligence happen to be exclusive to elves thus far. Shall we be on our way?

finaldooms
2017-09-05, 04:58 PM
finally someone who understands...lets,move on aust back to that door near the entrance just to be sure..err walks/taps to the far wall to make sure there,is no secret doors ( using elf passive to notice secret doors)

ClericalTank
2017-09-05, 05:02 PM
No secret doors, but the door itself...seems to have locked...or is it stuck now? Whatever it is, it must have had to do with that click from before.

finaldooms
2017-09-05, 05:11 PM
Err pokes that spot again hoping it opens it!! If not...aus i desire this door to be broken down

CNFish
2017-09-05, 10:28 PM
Aushtyn walks up to the door....

[roll0] search to see if I notice anything about the door. type of materials? anything like hardened areas? weak spots? crumbling or rotting areas? hinges? ANYTHING

ClericalTank
2017-09-05, 10:35 PM
With Aus' painfully average knowledge, he can't tell anything about the door that would make it special, other than the fact that the door is made from birch...and not very flammable birch, at that.

If you're looking for an excuse to use your barbaric evocations, might I suggest a cold spell to make it more brittle?

CNFish
2017-09-05, 10:38 PM
You know they say books are great sources of knowledge... I have a feeling that me and this book might actually be friends yet...

aushtyn cast ray of frost on the door.

[roll0] ranged touch attack.
[roll1] frost damage.

finaldooms
2017-09-05, 10:45 PM
Err apricates the books help,and ...aust usefulness I guess not having to prepare each spell for the day does have its limited uses hahaha

ClericalTank
2017-09-05, 10:52 PM
The door stands strong, and barely looks touched.

Surely you possess as something with more...power? Something that specifically affects objects as well as creatures? No? And one wonders why my creator specifically refers to evocations as "barbaric...paleolithic even". Have you tried simply busting down the door, since you clearly have more brawn than brain?

finaldooms
2017-09-06, 05:41 AM
well book...hmmm what do i call a talking book?
We nevet claimed to be of high power right away ...those things come with time and a chance to grow..and if this blasted door was not made of damned wood my acid splash would have been wonderful for ignoring the hardness and letting us thorough

CNFish
2017-09-06, 09:05 AM
How about fire? it is wood after all..

aushtyn then begins to cast kelgores firebolt.

[roll0] ranged touch
[roll1]

ClericalTank
2017-09-06, 09:51 AM
Aus tries a slightly more powerful spell...only to miss horribly! The door is unscathed, but the nearby dust and cobwebs have now caught fire. 3 fire damage or save for half as the fire turns into a tiny explosion!I'm certain that both the elf and I have determined that magic is not the correct choice. And to extrapolate that you would wish to seek the Tale of Ten Thousand... just smash the damned thing...or find out why the door won't budge.

finaldooms
2017-09-06, 10:20 AM
Err laughs softly into his hand i do believe book is correct aus...just use those muscles instead and il see if i cant find a switch in the meantime err starts searching the...entire hall being super slow and careful!! (Aka take 20 knowing this could take hours)

ClericalTank
2017-09-06, 10:27 AM
The book decides to help look for anything that could open the door.

Have you stepped on these tiles, perchance? If so, in what order? What did they do?

It becomes evident that the book knew somehow that the tiles it is referring to were meant to sink in. The tiles in question also seem to have reset.

finaldooms
2017-09-06, 02:07 PM
if this is a tile puzzle ima need some kinda map please.even if it is a basic xxxxoxxx kind

Err blinks...more than 1 tile clicked? How the hell did i miss that

CNFish
2017-09-06, 02:18 PM
[roll0] reflex

i remember them all pushing down but not clicking perse... then again maybe i wasnt listening very well..

ClericalTank
2017-09-06, 02:55 PM
Retracing your steps, or even simply pushing the one that clicked ought to unlock the door.

finaldooms
2017-09-06, 03:32 PM
testing!] just in case...
[roll1]
If passed err starts taping his 10ft pole along the same path aus took untill ot clicks

If failed...err starts taping random spots unable to recall where the barbarian of singe has walked

ClericalTank
2017-09-06, 07:28 PM
The door clicks behind Err.

Ah...a simple "chicken crossed the road" puzzle. Not quite as complex as it was meant to seem.

finaldooms
2017-09-06, 07:58 PM
there we go! Door should be open now aus

CNFish
2017-09-07, 09:13 AM
hmmm. aushtyn goes to push the door open

ClericalTank
2017-09-07, 10:20 AM
NOTHING happens. Quit thinking there's a trap behind everything! Save for half embarrassment as you look positively ridiculous trying to look out for traps THAT YOU CAN'T FIND ANYWAYS.Afterwards, the door opens to a large room with four doors on the other side, caskets and alcoves dot the floor and walls in a sensible array.

CNFish
2017-09-08, 12:12 AM
I don't understand what the reflex was for.. I wasn't looking for traps either I was looking to notice what the door was made out of to break it down. if it was stone obviously much of my stuff would be ineffective haha.

Aushtyn Feeling rather embarrassed... about the door.. apparently... walks into the room... Where was all this when we walked in? he thinks to himself.

finaldooms
2017-09-08, 01:44 PM
now this is a bit more like i was expecting err follows aus into the room and starts tapping ahead of them with his pole ...do you not bring poles with you?

CNFish
2017-09-08, 11:05 PM
I bring a pole with me wherever I go, how I choose to use mine though is of a different matter. Aushtyn begins to study the doors before him. I'm assuming I'm not going to need search, since I'm not looking for traps perse..

But either way, ill roll for all doors.

[roll0] +2 to each roll

finaldooms
2017-09-09, 01:01 AM
While aus is spending time inspecting the doors..err is going to go,around the whole room poking and tapping everything. .if nothing happens he inspects the caskets

ClericalTank
2017-09-12, 05:12 PM
You can't find anything on any of the doors, but the middle-left one is slightly more ajar than the others. No draft or anything, just...slightly more open.
Neither you nor your cane nor your floating book see anything wrong. One of the caskets, while undisturbed, has a corpse with what can only amount to dust rings around the eyeballs of its skull.

finaldooms
2017-09-12, 09:35 PM
[roll0]

well im not finding anything special in this room

CNFish
2017-09-13, 12:21 AM
well.. this door (middle left) is cracked open a bit... something tells me what we are looking for went this way. Then again thats just a guess. Could be anyone one of these doors.

ClericalTank
2017-09-13, 08:31 PM
"The best way to find out what's behind a door is to open it." Naturally, that's not the SAFEST way to proceed, given that the oldest trap in the book hides at the top of a door...I should know, obviously.

CNFish
2017-09-14, 12:21 AM
he has a point. It would be quite easily to trap these doors, and it doesn't take a ballista engineer to know that a simple trap can be the most deadly. Aushtyn thinks to himself. But this door is already open so obviously theres no trap behind it! Ha silly book this door cant possibly be booby-trapped. Aushtyn steps forward to open the door, but stops short of just placing his hand on the door. Maybe... 'I' shouldn't open it.... I did just barely survive a trap a few moments ago...

finaldooms
2017-09-14, 01:05 AM
Seeing how aus seems to have no supplies err sadly offers his 10ft pole might be able to push the door open a bit farther away with one of these eh?

CNFish
2017-09-14, 11:53 AM
and what exactly am I supposed to do with this?... poke it to death? he pauses for a second ohhh you want me to use it to push it open... got it.. yeah that makes sense. aushtyn then backs up 8 ft from the door (so the poke has ample room to push) and begins to push the door open.)

finaldooms
2017-09-14, 01:11 PM
Err blinks in amazement as aus first fails to understand common..and then somehow steps out of reality to stand 8 ft away!! how the.... You know what im not Guna worry about it..just ope, that door

ClericalTank
2017-09-14, 01:18 PM
Aus opens the door with a pole and a metal bucket filled with brackish water falls to the floor with a *CLANG, CLANG, CLATTER*. The corridor beyond the door is now revealed as it twists to the right.

I believe one can find such classics as those in a section of said book. "Pranks and Practicality", I'm sure it is called.

Edit: Also Aushtyn gets some water on his clothes (no save)

CNFish
2017-09-14, 10:44 PM
Aushtyn begins to look quite annoyed... Even at 10' away I still get flak from a trap? how ridiculous, the splash effect of the bucket, according to the height of the door doesn't add up... I wonder if the water marks on the ground make out any kind of pattern.. Nope absolutely nothing... oh well lets move on then shall we?

finaldooms
2017-09-15, 08:28 PM
its a goox thing you used the,pole,to,open the door.would have been a bit foul to have that land on you haha err peered through the doorway and then motions aus onwards ...btw oldest trick in the book? err raises an eye at the book thrn err looks at aus again ....oh

CNFish
2017-09-16, 12:31 AM
Aushtyn begins to move through the door.

ClericalTank
2017-09-22, 10:27 AM
Right. Just call me Trapp... Just as Trapp finishes, the party hears a squeaky muttering. at the end of the twisting corridor an arch leads to an equally large room. Erronious sees a kobold, decked out in relatively fancy clothes and sporting a book chained to its side. Its back is turned against the party, and he seems to be searching the walls for something.

finaldooms
2017-09-22, 02:52 PM
Err whispers to aus i believe i can see rifraf up ahead about x ft away ( dm didnt tell me distance) then err quietly whispers a spell!
Shield
Abjuration [Force]
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Shield creates an invisible, tower shield-sized mobile disk of force that hovers in front of you. It negates magic missile attacks directed at you. The disk also provides a +4 shield bonus to AC. This bonus applies against incorporeal touch attacks, since it is a force effect. The shield has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance

Hp 6/6
Ac 16

ClericalTank
2017-09-22, 07:38 PM
The kobold is 40 feet away in the far right corner. Despite the columns dotting the room, there is nothing preventing Aushtyn from charging. Erronious conjures (or rather, abjures) a disc thingy! The kobold is still oblivious, muttering to itself.

CNFish
2017-09-23, 10:32 AM
Aushtyn see's his opponent and eager for a fight rushes up behind him (Charging) and screaming out his battle cry the entire way!!

AGH!!!!!!!!!! DIE YOU STUPID KOBOLD!

[roll0]+11 (2 BAB, 4 Str, 1 W. Focus, 2 Charge)
[roll1] + 4 dmg. (x3 for crit.)

HP 11/11
AC 12/14 (-2 charge)

ClericalTank
2017-09-24, 08:52 AM
The kobold cries out in pain, then turns around to see big human!
It was more surprise than pain. It still hurt, but not as much as he would have you believe.
You dare to piss off Riffraff? The Scourge of Wizardry and Master of the Arcane??
If anyone wishes to continue Initiatives must be rolled!!

finaldooms
2017-09-24, 02:36 PM
Initiative roll [roll0]

im sorry did you just say master of the arcane? The dolt with a sword has more magic than you do

After that err casts... For his turn

Magic Missile
Evocation [Force]
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Saving Throw: None
A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.
For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional missile—two at 3rd level, three at 5th, four at 7th, and the maximum of five missiles at 9th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.
[roll1] damage

CNFish
2017-09-25, 12:28 AM
[roll0]
If passed, Ha! don't try to fool me you ugly beast I know you've got more in ya!, ive been waiting a good amount of time to have my axe dig deep into your flesh!
If failed, HahA! see Err! this is how you handle these filthy beast!

Initiative [roll1]

Aushtyn tightens the grip to his axe and swings!
[roll2]+9 (2 BAB, 4 Str, 1 W. Focus, 2 trait)
[roll3] (6 str, 2 Trait) (x3 for crit.)

ClericalTank
2017-09-25, 08:53 AM
Err, Riffraff, KoboldAushtyn
Riffraff looks...different now. It's as if the purple in his earthen skin tone washed away. He's also wearing a pair of adjustable goggles.
What was that? Whatever. Human wanna dance? Jive to this!
You know the voice in your head that tells you when something is a bad idea? That voice starts to scream at you to start running. In fact, that sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. In the event that you didn't have such a voice, you do now, and that in itself ought to be scary enough.
[roll0] rounds frightened (must run away and shaken penalties). Save for one round shaken instead (-2 attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks).
He's actually a sorcerer, but he truly believes that he's a wizard.

finaldooms
2017-09-25, 11:54 AM
After watching a rather poor magic missle ....
Err attempts to notice things! [roll0]
If passed err asks your color seems to be fading? Is that prehaps a new spell??

If failed well..err fails to notice it

( ima just roll a d20 and i guess tell us what sense is and il see if i passed) [roll1]

Then under the assumption austyn gets effected at all...
oh thats impressive even for a mighty wizard ...stupid human was always trying to be a bit big for his pants ha!!
..say riffraff i was forced to come along and expecting something like a puny sorc or even a thief but your magic is undeniably powerful..what do you say to teaming up and dealing with this fool? I got the perfect buff for you in mind..it just stings a tad before it wears off
Uhhh bluff ? With a pretty good dab of truth?
[roll2]
If passed err will prepare to cast
Burning Rage
(Player's Handbook II)

Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1, Spellthief 1,
Components: V, S,
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates

As you imbue an ally with this spell, a nimbus of shimmering blue flame surrounds him.
He winces in pain as the flames scorch his flesh, but when the eldritch power flows into him, his muscles surge with might.
This spell imbues a creature with burning magical energy that enhances the subject's strength and endurance.
The searing energy also burns and injures the subject.
The subject of this spell gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls, a +2 bonus on damage rolls, and damage reduction 2/magic.
This spell's burning energy deals 4 points of fire damage to the subject at the start of each of its turns until the spell's duration expires or you dismiss the effect.
on ..his next turn i guess
If spoiler fails...then err backs out of the room and shuts the door

CNFish
2017-09-25, 02:26 PM
[roll0] will save.

ClericalTank
2017-09-27, 11:09 AM
Rather than delivering a decisive blow, Aushtyn backs away from Riffraff instead!
At least SOMEBODY gets it in this damned world! You've no idea how many--ACK!
Just then, Riffraff's body is engulfed in blue flames, and he starts rolling around on the floor!
AHHHHHHHHHH! Getitoffgetitoffgetitoff! Make it stop! I have a irrational fear of fire!

finaldooms
2017-09-27, 01:07 PM
....i wish you had said that in the first place hrm..well at least your stronger for it!! err then looks at the other kobold is he always this..extreme? then throws a magic missle at it!!
[roll0]
Burning rage has 2 rounds to go

CNFish
2017-09-27, 10:02 PM
I don't remember there being two kobolds... I only remember us seeing riffraff..

Aushtyn is still shaken... so if there is another kobold.. I back up for this round even further due to fear. else

y-yo-you d-d-amn kobold, god I hate this specie.... what was that?! Aushtyn says as he darts his eyes back and forth due to the fear effects

ClericalTank
2017-09-28, 07:14 AM
I called Aushtyn a kobold in the turn order.You set me on fire, I set you on fire!
The Kobold walks toward Err with his palm out, and flames come bursting out to deal 6 points of fire damage (reflex 14 for half)!You know the last spell was Cause Fear, this one:
Burning Hands
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Fire 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Range: 15 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Saving Throw: Reflex half
A cone of searing flame shoots from your fingertips. Any creature in the area of the flames takes 1d4 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 5d4). Flammable materials burn if the flames touch them. A character can extinguish burning items as a full-round action.
(I'm telling you because you automatically know this stuff even on a one.)

finaldooms
2017-09-28, 11:22 AM
Anddd reflex save to see if im knocked out!!

( friendly reminder saves are beat to pass)

hp 3/6

holy **** thats hot!!
Err just manages to dodge the full force and if riffraff is not dead from this last round of burning rage ( 8 points total now and it ends) then he throws

Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]
Level: Sorcerer 0, Wizard 0, Gnome Artificer 0,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One missile of acid
Saving Throw: None

You fire a small orb of acid at the target.
You must succeed at a ranged touch attack to hit your target.
If you miss, there is no splash effect.
The spell deals 1d3 points of acid damage
To hit 2d20 +2
Damage is [roll]1d3 x2 if crit

And moves away through the door

finaldooms
2017-09-28, 11:30 AM
Ugh..i forgot i cant roll in an edit post
Acid splash hit [roll0]+2
Damage [roll1] x2 if crit

ClericalTank
2017-09-28, 12:31 PM
Err's spell ends...and after a feeble attempt to finish him off, so does Riffraff's! After noticing that he's literally on his very last legs and that the human with a scary battleaxe is done being scared, Riffraff attempts to surrender! Eek!
Let me live, please! I'll tell you why I'm here if you do! What do the winners decide to do with Riffraff?

CNFish
2017-09-28, 03:27 PM
You dang dirty beast! aushtyn grabs the kobold and holds him with both fist. Tell me what it is you need to say before I slit your throat!

finaldooms
2017-09-28, 04:24 PM
In common to aus
Wait dont kill him austyn..he DID steal some scrolls and other valuables. .so we should use him to find said items..plus we can always turn him in for a bigger reward

CNFish
2017-09-28, 11:47 PM
your too soft on this blight of a specie err, he's a criminal. Reward or not I'd love to see his skull crushed under my, boot!

Aushtyns grip tightens on the already mangled body of the kobold

finaldooms
2017-09-29, 02:38 AM
your just being a sore loser austyn -.- does a measly kobold really scare you so much? Besides id rather more rewards than tiny brains on my slippers

CNFish
2017-09-29, 05:59 PM
hmmm he says in a rather grunting tone, indicating his frustration and how much was the reward on his head.. he then waits a second btw, you ugly beast you never did tell us why you were here..

ClericalTank
2017-09-30, 03:09 AM
Rifffraff stares narrow-eyed and silent as death seems to approach and Aushtyn tries to address him.

finaldooms
2017-09-30, 03:24 AM
Knowledge arcane [roll0]

If dm says ibpassed

Err slowly recalls most kobolds know magic innately which means this "wizard is really a sorcerer " therefore he probly has not botheres to learn more than draconic so as a test
you do realize we were e discussing how to eat you right? Ive been reading from my new floating book that kobold is cobsidered a delicacy in other countries err looks to trapp and in common show him a page of anything but draconic..petferably with a fire or kobold picture please
of course we would have less reason to try this if you helped us return those powerful items you.acquired and might even put a good word in when we turn you in at your helpfulness

finaldooms
2017-09-30, 04:11 AM
Anddd intimidation check to convince him!!
[roll0] (2 mod 4 size 2 misc)
And his opposed roll is at -4 for being 1 size smaller than me , and he rolls 1d20+lvl+wis+fear bonus if any -size if any to oppose

ClericalTank
2017-09-30, 05:28 AM
(pass, and no way is any kobold getting past that roll.)
At Err's behest, Trapp opens its pages to a picture of a kobold caught in between two fire traps.No! Please reconsider! I've only got this book on me right now! I needed this to help me find a dragon in these depths!Riffraff hands Err the book chained over his shoulder. It's labeled "The entry level steps after the entry level steps," with "Property of Craig Erickson" on the back.There are a myriad of spells here. It's obvious (to Erronious at least) that they're spells because of the way the pages are written.Most of these spells are bootlegged (therefore un-learnable), and either have some side effect or are considerably weaker than their original counterparts, which are all intermediate (3-6th level) spells. The only spell that isn't bootlegged, harmful (for the user), or fragmented is Fire Shield.

finaldooms
2017-09-30, 05:37 AM
Anddd spellcraft roll!!
[roll0]

If passed ...so i flipped through and you said a dragon down here?
..unless its some zombie dragon i doubt it plus this book ...is useless!! It has 1 spell you would ever want and the rest...are mere imitations of true power!!
...now since your being so helpful...what about the other items?
In common err tells austyn im starting to realize this kobold is not very smart...lucky maybe but thats about it....did you notice any other doors in this room? I think there were a few more in the last room at least...but if we decide to explore i warn you now..my magical arsenal is already running low

CNFish
2017-09-30, 09:49 PM
[roll0]
Austyn drops the kobold hard. grabs the book, and begins to look it over..

if passed: Yeah, just as err says pretty much useless..[I] he says to himself.

if failed: [I]whats err talking about? with all this weird writing something has to be of interest here.

either way:
Who cares about exploring some crypts? we have our man, now lets turn'em over to the authorities before I Change my mind! he says glaring at the kobold about how he will spend the rest of his pitiful existence...

finaldooms
2017-09-30, 10:21 PM
well oh brash one, im 90% sure he has more treasure hidden nearby ..also err has the book not austyn
since is wanted for robbing more than jusy one person
To riff putting aside this dragon...where did you place the rest of your loot? I know this book is not the only thing you have

finaldooms
2017-10-01, 03:14 AM
While waiting on riff to reply err is going to walk around the room to see if his keen elf senses notice a door search [roll0]

If riff is helpful and we get the loot err will lead the party out of the crypt back to the inn to ask where to turn bounties in ,while trusting austyn to keep riffraff under control
if riff helped recover the stolen goods
Err will vouch for turning him in alive as a show of good faith

...if riff was not helpful then err asks how much the difference is between alive and dread rewards and if be deems it not enough he will put a bolt through the kololds eyes with a Coupdegrace

ClericalTank
2017-10-04, 12:28 PM
I sold it all to get these cool goggles! Honest! All I got on me's the leftover cash and these cool clothes!
Your Elf senses tingle as you approach the northwest corner of the room, and as you search it you find a sconce (A torch holding thingy) and it pulls forward like a lever. Question is,
will you pull it?

finaldooms
2017-10-04, 01:43 PM
hmm, sold it all for goggles?
And you mean to say you know nothing of the door hidden here? err places his hand on the torch and in common hey ustyn i found a door here should i open it?

CNFish
2017-10-04, 04:48 PM
how about we make him open it! he says while glaring menacingly at the vile creature

ClericalTank
2017-10-04, 05:05 PM
I've helped you plenty...now, just lemme go an you'll never hear from me again!
Suddenly, Riffraff starts to struggle!
[roll0] Dex Grapple check

CNFish
2017-10-04, 05:24 PM
opposed grapple

[roll0]

If passed: (in draconic) you'll do as I say or I'll end you right Now! Consider yourself lucky to have survived this long!

If failed: (in common) err, I'm going to end him...

finaldooms
2017-10-04, 05:53 PM
Err sighs seriously aust?
Ans thows an acid splash at rif raf!
[roll0] touch ac
Damage is [roll1]

If err hits i cant belive you let him go!
Lets just open the door and then take him back
If miss

ah gods dammit

CNFish
2017-10-04, 07:35 PM
dang slippery beast. I shouldve taken him out earlier when I had the chance.

finaldooms
2017-10-04, 07:49 PM
whatever..go pull that torch sconce and see if he hid anythng there while i tie him up
Err pulls out some rope!! And does his best to tie rif raf up without training [roll0]

ClericalTank
2017-10-04, 10:12 PM
Riffraff falls and starts to bleed to death (from an acid wound i guess?) on the catacomb floor as Err ties him up!
[roll0]10 percent high.

CNFish
2017-10-04, 10:54 PM
hmmm.. me thinks it could be a trap though. Then again he thought the bucket would be a good trap too. So let's see what hell awaits me this time eh? aushtyn then pulls on the thing

finaldooms
2017-10-05, 12:52 AM
Meanwhilr... hmmm i dont know if i can stop the bleeding err attempts untrained healing with some random paper and tape he has!! ...heal check? Wis check? Idk!!
[roll0] and [roll1]

do you happen to know,how,to patch upbwounds..im not very goodat this

ClericalTank
2017-10-05, 06:31 AM
The hidden door slides open while the door behind becomes obscured in stone. Meanwhile, Err administers CPR and then after a while gives some actual first aid, managing to stabilize the acid with dust from the floor. Riffraff is now stable and unconscious.

finaldooms
2017-10-06, 03:43 PM
( if i read that right..secert door opened..the door we came in disappeared?)
If so
hmmm maybe flip the switch again..i dont think i see treasure there and im,low on ..well everything err looks up toward the door to conform he sees nothing treasure wise

CNFish
2017-10-06, 08:02 PM
well, this door obviously leads somewhere why not check it out?

CNFish
2017-10-06, 08:17 PM
it would be a good chance to test my sword arm... then again... your kind of useless right now... Maybe not the best idea. aushtyn then pushes the scone back into place to see if the door re opens

finaldooms
2017-10-06, 08:33 PM
Err snorts ...this is one of the few times im not trying to be condescending. .but given how you ran away from a kobold..id rather have magic back in my,control,before we do anything...adventurous
Err finishes tying up riffraff and looks to trapp
so if this lever doesnt work any ideas oh floating book of..traps

CNFish
2017-10-06, 08:39 PM
it was the slimy ugliness of his face that made me back up... I thought I might die from sheer ugliness.

finaldooms
2017-10-06, 08:46 PM
back up? BACK UP?!? You practically ran from the little,bugger..the onlh good thing is you stabbed it,in the back,like a rogue at the start! He was much more durable than expected ornelse we both,would,be laying in a pool of,blood,and gore

ClericalTank
2017-10-06, 09:47 PM
If I could interrupt for but a moment?....The way back is open again. Trapp starts hovering back towards the door, then turns around. Well? Are we turning in this phony rabble or not?

CNFish
2017-10-06, 10:00 PM
well. Its your word against mine. Let's get outta here already.

finaldooms
2017-10-06, 10:10 PM
yes lets err manages,to carry,riff outside without,help!! And then takea the,googles,off riffraff,and,pockets,them,before,going,to the,tavern to inquire where to take him

CNFish
2017-10-07, 03:13 PM
Aushtyn follows along silently.

ClericalTank
2017-10-07, 03:57 PM
(Assuming you actually take any amount of time to look at the goggles. Otherwise just ignore this until you decide to look at them.)They actually look quite ornate upon closer inspection. There are miniature runes and glyphs on the edges of the glass circles that give a small (literally but not figuratively) hint of a magical item. Everyone makes it out of the catacombs just fine, and it is now mid-afternoon. The graveyard is silent and empty. A flash of crimson shines in the corner of the graveyard, near the hut where the keeper presumably dwells.

finaldooms
2017-10-07, 04:02 PM
Err has no time to waste eager to resume his reaseach
to the tavetn!!

He drags riffraff with him ready to go

ClericalTank
2017-10-07, 04:37 PM
Absolutely no time is lost as the duo drags riffraff into the tavern.Horace points the way and before they know it, the party is sitting in Marshal Keckramme's office attempting to haggle a decent price for Riffraff. Starting price is 700 Gold for a live Riffraff.

finaldooms
2017-10-07, 05:56 PM
Now in the marshal's office
... well marshal we captures riff raff..and 700 seems a little low since he is a spellcaster ..800? ..and while im at it how much was he worth dead? err casually asks while keeping his hand box hidden under his robes aimed at riff raff

CNFish
2017-10-07, 11:32 PM
Also, what shall happen to him when we hand him over? ohhhh please tell me till be good...

finaldooms
2017-10-08, 01:28 AM
Err rolls his eyes ...do you really think now is the time to indulge in your fantasies? I know you have a problem with,kobolds but really not the right time... err looks back at the mashal and decides to pay attention since he was assuming human ( i dont believe you mentioned what race the marshal was)

ClericalTank
2017-10-08, 09:58 AM
(I'll try to keep the race in mind, but from now on just assume that NPCs are human when I don't specify. For clarification, Keckramme is human.)

Keckramme looks up from his desk. Well, he's technically not worth anything dead. It's the information that's valuable. We raised the price on him slightly because some new Intel might lead us to Nameless. As for the fact that he's a spellcaster...I'll be brutally honest: I don't care. I'm not paid to discriminate; I'm paid to clean up Draguire's streets, as it were. If I had to pay an extra hundred gold for every self-dubbed "master of the arcane and/or divine", I wouldn't have any coin left to deal with the common cutpurse or street beggar. That said, Nameless does take a higher priority than most serial killers this side of the Marute River...725 gold.

finaldooms
2017-10-08, 05:16 PM
hmm this thing has information? Thats surprising...fine how about 750 ? Even split for my partner and I? Plus it would help us since we were looking into doing more bounties and we could use some minor upgrades to achieve the goal easier

ClericalTank
2017-10-08, 07:57 PM
Keckramme rolls his eyes, then meets Err's gaze with a smile that indicates both sincerity and severity. See, there's where I'm torn. I'm absolutely certain you want to collect bounties, that you want the money to help with more bounties...honestly, I get it. But at the same time, if we wanted a pair of vigilantes doing our job for us, we wouldn't also have hired divinations experts and master trackers. He stands up and walks toward the window to look down upon the streets. Still, we might not be able to afford stinginess. Surely you know about the recent bootlegging crisis? People are getting dangerous spells for cheap, and because of this the owners of true spells can't get their royalties, which means the proceeds thereof cannot be donated to the city itself. The sooner we can rid ourselves of this problem, the sooner this city can prosper again. He turns to look at the half-elf at the door. See to it that these men are awarded their 750 gold pieces, and that the kobold is brought to The Cage.

Right away, sir. Gentlemen, if you please; right this way...

During the trip to the Appropriations Department (and whatever "The Cage" is), the half-elf fills in the lulls with some chatter. I take it you two were looking at the "most wanted" notice we posted all over the district; you do realize those are supremely outdated, right? We've since caught most of those baddies, and now we at the very least know what Nameless looks like! Anyway, if you want to keep helping us out, we've been having a real rough go of it with that Hahn fellow; maybe you'll have better luck?

finaldooms
2017-10-08, 08:04 PM
Err starts drifting out of focus untill he hears the agreed price ... Well thanks alot and we will be sure to do our best at helping yall out more

.... Listening to tge half elf talk so what does nameless look like? Amd hahn huh? Whats the trouble with him? ...oncw i know me me and my friend can decide what to do tommrow since im spent foe the day sadly...btw what is the cage?

CNFish
2017-10-08, 10:35 PM
Hahn, sounds like an easy piece of meat to test my sword arm out on! you can never have too much training!

ClericalTank
2017-10-13, 06:46 AM
The half-elf flashes a smile, as if Err and Aus are the only people who've ever been willing to talk to him.Pretty distinct, actually; hard to mistake a black half-dragon with a wide scar across his belly. As for Hahn...well, the trouble is that he's darn good with illusions, and sneaky to boot. He's being paid by some scholars to test their security systems...Which would be totally fine, were it not for the fact that he somehow manages to dodge the paperwork involved...and that he always takes something as a souvenir of his exploits.

And it's best that you not know what the cage is and/or does.

Hahn, sounds like an easy piece of meat to test my sword arm out on! you can never have too much training!

This is one we definitely don't want dead. Can you imagine how much money the city would get from his taxes, not to mention the usefulness of his services? You can test your blade against any other two-bit bandit, but it's probably best that Hahn is brought to us alive.

CNFish
2017-10-13, 11:33 PM
What makes you think he would even provide you with the services of his trade if he were caught? aushtyn pauses for moment. on the plus side, I'm not the one that likes to take a beating for a few measly gold... possesions can be replaced easily, my limbs cannot. if he wont come quietly.. As I'm suree you guys have already tried.. aushtyn says in a rather sarcastic tone. Then ill have no choice but to bring back his head only.

finaldooms
2017-10-13, 11:56 PM
Err suddenly realizes he did not see if trapp has been following so he looks around
.... Im sure we can bring hahn in ...ALIVE with a quick look at aus
my talents have always been in a more controlles direction ...and a half dragon? Any clues where he has gone yet for those can be dangerous if they use themselves properly. .and avoid traps

CNFish
2017-10-14, 10:03 PM
my statement stands...

finaldooms
2017-10-14, 11:40 PM
well this is wjy your the brawn of our dynamic dou err pats austyns arm

now lets collect our reward and rest up then we can decide ( after getting,more info about hahn) if we wish to pursue him

CNFish
2017-10-15, 08:51 PM
aushtyn mumbles what err said, in a hushed tone as he continues to follow along silently with his arms crossed. he continues to do this, until either something interesting is said, happens, or is back at the tavern where ill assume we sleep

ClericalTank
2017-10-15, 09:19 PM
(Forgot to mention that Trapp decided to hide out in Err's bag; he determined his skills weren't very useful in a town. He hears pretty much everything though, so if you want to ask him anything, he'll gladly respond.)

The trio arrive at the basement of the precinct and the half-elf guard drops Riffraff off, filling out the necessary paperwork and making feeble attempts at small talk with the dwarf at the entrance. Once that's done, he motions the party towards the appropriations department.

The problem with getting Hahn is, he's either extremely crafty around guardsmen, or he's excessively paranoid of us in general. Either way, he takes extreme caution. Add in his illusions, and we just can't keep up. We do know about his clientele though: either it's students with plenty of scholarship funds, or upstart scholars...with plenty of research funds. If we could only get him to see that we see that his work is most appreciated, revolutionary even, and that he could start his own business, to be properly sanctioned by both the council and Duke Armandal himself.

The party then appears at the desk for appropriations. More small talk is made, and the clerk, at the expense of all that is good in his life (or so his expression says), pulls out three sets of papers that everyone is asked to sign, stating both that Riffraff is, to the best of everyone's knowledge, actually Riffraff; and that the price was properly agreed upon. Once (or if, should you for some reason not sign the papers) all is said and done, the duo is awarded their due of 750 gold pieces. The helpful half-elf escorts the two out of the labyrinthine precinct.

As for Nameless...that's just it. His appearances seem random at first, but I just know that he's being systematic in a way we can't seem to fathom. Either way, I wouldn't hunt him at all, let alone at night if I were you.

The sky is fading to black, and the stars begin to reveal themselves one by one in the ever-growing absence of the sun.

finaldooms
2017-10-16, 06:57 AM
Err sees no reason to refuse to sign but just incase uses his right hand ( he is left,handed) and has a very loose scrawl done then collects his portion of the gold ( 375gp)
...so hahn uses tge scholars...i think i can handle that a bit better than a crypt ..and trust me i have no plans on hunting nameless untill i feel much stronger. ..with that im head back to the tavern..if you need us or,me just sent word to ...err inserts name of tavern since i forgot
Then heads there and sees how much a room for the night is ( a decent room..not the cheapest) before telling aus to meet him sometime tomorrow here and retires to learn more spells before sleep!

finaldooms
2017-10-16, 07:06 AM
Going,for...cause fear and remove,fear,before bed!! Edit **** crap i think i learned magic,missle 2x so im changing the mistake to... Feather fall!!
Dc 21

Spell craft [roll0] + 17
If passed err learns more spells!!
If failed..tge named scrolls. Are unable,to be learned untill my spellcraft increases by at,least 1 point

Err learns cause fear and feather fall with no troubles! But his understanding of remove fear had no,success..

CNFish
2017-10-16, 09:08 PM
Aushtyn takes a quick jog through the city on the route he had already ran threw before. he then makes it back to the tavern with time to spare, grabs a room, and heads off to sleep cursing that dang kobold who beat him in a fisticuff match..