PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.0/3.5 Hengeyokai getting Dragonmark?

Blackplaga
2017-08-29, 01:33 AM
What ways is there for me to get the dragonmark passage as a Hengeyokai or other ways to get Dimension Door as a Spell Like Ability without getting level adjustment?

Looking to get into Telflammar Shadowlord but dont want to lose levels to get the template or some other prestige class so unless there is another feat that gets it that will be my best option.

Inevitability
2017-08-29, 01:51 AM
Be a race with a dragonmark, get reincarnated into a hengeyokai? It requires a flexible interpretation of the 'other' entry, but should technically work.

Nifft
2017-08-29, 02:07 AM
Six levels of Warlock get you dimension door as an SLA.

You can get a spell turned into an SLA with the Dragonblood Sorcerer racial sub levels. Not sure what level but it ought to (eventually) get you Dimension Door as an SLA.

Thurbane
2017-08-29, 05:09 AM
6 levels of Horizon Walker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm) can also get you Dimension Door as an SLA (at will, once/1d4 rounds).

Just read you weren't looking for another PrC, my bad :smallredface:

Blackplaga
2017-08-29, 07:42 AM
Good ideas but again trying to avoid taking levels away from my build so looking for a feat or a ritual to do this. And the reincarnation was one thing i saw but that is to cheesy for my current group as there is no reason for it other than to qualify for the feat which than also in theory could be done with polymorph.

EldritchWeaver
2017-08-29, 08:46 AM
Not sure how feasible it is, but can't you just pretend to be of a different race to get the dragonmark? Would make for an interesting ingame quest or background.

Inevitability
2017-08-29, 08:58 AM
Not sure how feasible it is, but can't you just pretend to be of a different race to get the dragonmark? Would make for an interesting ingame quest or background.

That is... not how Dragonmarks work.

EldritchWeaver
2017-08-29, 09:21 AM
That is... not how Dragonmarks work.

Is it something hereditary then? In that case, maybe a ritual which allows you to steal a dragonmark?

ShurikVch
2017-08-29, 01:05 PM
Is it something hereditary then? In that case, maybe a ritual which allows you to steal a dragonmark?From the Eberron Campaign Setting:
To possess a dragonmark, a character must take the Least Dragonmark feat.
Prerequisite: Member of appropriate dragonmarked race and house.Alternately,
Although you are not a recognized member of one of the dragonmarked families, you have manifested a dragonmark.
Prerequisite: Dragonmarked race (human, dwarf, elf, gnome, halfling, half-elf, or half-orc).
The only known way to get a Dragonmark without being of Dragonmarked race is the capstone of Cataclysm Mage PrC

The only known example of Dragonmark stealing is an eldritch machine from the City of Towers novel

Red Fel
2017-08-29, 01:41 PM
From the Eberron Campaign Setting:Alternately,
The only known way to get a Dragonmark without being of Dragonmarked race is the capstone of Cataclysm Mage PrC

The only known example of Dragonmark stealing is an eldritch machine from the City of Towers novel

Pretty much this. Dragonmarks are effectively birthmarks, or birthrights. That's why you have the Dragonmark Houses - families where the children tend to inherit the family power, as well as the family name. Even an illegitimate child can earn partial standing in the house by proving his Dragonmark, and in doing so proving his ancestry. This also results in Dragonmarks breeding true - a half-Human offspring of a member of House Cannith (which is all Human) cannot inherit the Mark of Making, because only pure Humans can receive that Mark. It's also why, in Eberron, Half-Elves are in fact an entirely separate race, and not merely the offspring of a Human and an Elf.

If memory serves, technically a person transformed into a different form (i.e. by Reincarnation) retains the Dragonmark, but loses the ability to pass it on. I remember reading that somewhere.

But yeah. Generally, to inherit a Dragonmark or develop an Aberrant Dragonmark, you must be of the appropriate Dragonmarked race.

thorr-kan
2017-08-29, 02:24 PM
If you're not a level-one character, the Altar of the Dragon's Eye (Eyes of the Lich Queen, p10) can grant a non-dragonmarked race an aberrant dragonmark. But it's limited to resist energy, so that doesn't help you.

A creature that is not a member of a dragonmarked race (for example, a shifter or warforged) gains the Aberrant Dragonmark feat as a bonus feat, even though he does not meet the prerequisite. However, rather than choosing one of the standard aberrant dragonmark abilities, he gains the use of resist energy once per day as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to one-half his character level. This allows the character to take other feats that have Aberrant Dragonmark as a prerequisite, prevents the character from taking levels in the heir of Siberys prestige class, and so on.

ShurikVch
2017-08-29, 02:59 PM
Feats to get the Dimension Door SLA: either the Fey Legacy (Complete Mage, required 9th level), or Shape Soulmeld: Blink Shirt

Blackplaga
2017-08-29, 03:32 PM
Also saw the Fey Legacy and its more only other option im seeing at the moment as I am fairly sure that my group would rule that the blink shirt wouldnt work with shadow pounce from Telflammar Shadowlord as it says you cannot make any other actions.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-29, 03:32 PM
But yeah. Generally, to inherit a Dragonmark or develop an Aberrant Dragonmark, you must be of the appropriate Dragonmarked race.

I never completed the campaign, but in Eyes of the Lich Queen some kind of dragon mark is handed to players regardless of race.

Nifft
2017-08-29, 03:35 PM
Also saw the Fey Legacy and its more only other option im seeing at the moment as I am fairly sure that my group would rule that the blink shirt wouldnt work with shadow pounce from Telflammar Shadowlord as it says you cannot make any other actions.

Being unable to take other actions is the default for Dimension Door.

That clause is going to apply to every Dimension Door effect.

Shadow Pounce explicitly overrides that clause.

Red Fel
2017-08-29, 07:09 PM
If the goal is teleporting, why not take Martial Study (Shadow Jaunt)? Assuming you can hit the IL prerequisite (with your non-Initiator levels counting for half, that means 6 non-Initiator levels), you meet all prerequisites for the maneuver. Basically, if you have no Initiator levels, you can use Shadow Jaunt once per encounter, and teleport up to 50 feet as a standard action.

Or just dip Swordsage, and grab all three versions of the maneuver - Shadow Jaunt (standard action), Shadow Stride (move action), and Shadow Blink (swift action). Bonus, although all three have a teleport descriptor and thus satisfy the Telflammar Shadowlord's Shadow Pounce, none of them end your turn the way Dimension Door does - meaning you could theoretically use all three in one turn.

But yeah. As Nifft points out, all Dimension Door-based abilities end your turn; if Shadow Pounce were unusable with DD-based abilities, it would basically be unusable period. Especially since Shadow Pounce calls out Shadow Jump, which describes itself as DD-based.

Thurbane
2017-08-29, 07:35 PM
Divine Intercession feat (DotD) allows you to burn turn/rebuke uses to create a Dimension Door-like effect, but requires turn/rebuke and access to the Travel or Trickery domain.

Ethereal Sidestep feat (Ghostwalk) allows at will Dimension Door, but requires you to be a Ghost from that setting.

...most other options I can find rely on PrCs or racial abilities.

barakaka
2017-08-29, 10:18 PM
Shadowcaster from Tome of Magic has the Flicker mystery(spell). Standard action cast, but immediate action teleports/caster level. You'd be a Shadowlord for sure :smallcool:

Blackplaga
2017-08-30, 02:37 AM
I never completed the campaign, but in Eyes of the Lich Queen some kind of dragon mark is handed to players regardless of race.

Well this seems like it will work the best, Altar of the Dragon's Eye is what its called by the by, this path will be entirely up to the DM so well this will be the best path not going to rely solely on it.

Being unable to take other actions is the default for Dimension Door.

That clause is going to apply to every Dimension Door effect.

Shadow Pounce explicitly overrides that clause.

Gotcha gotcha, this is what I would assume as thats the WoTC ruling on abilities and interperting them but always good to make sure. So that shirt would be really nice as could also get bonus essentia and have a decent 30 ft teleportation on hand at all times.

If the goal is teleporting, why not take Martial Study (Shadow Jaunt)? Assuming you can hit the IL prerequisite (with your non-Initiator levels counting for half, that means 6 non-Initiator levels), you meet all prerequisites for the maneuver. Basically, if you have no Initiator levels, you can use Shadow Jaunt once per encounter, and teleport up to 50 feet as a standard action.

Or just dip Swordsage, and grab all three versions of the maneuver - Shadow Jaunt (standard action), Shadow Stride (move action), and Shadow Blink (swift action). Bonus, although all three have a teleport descriptor and thus satisfy the Telflammar Shadowlord's Shadow Pounce, none of them end your turn the way Dimension Door does - meaning you could theoretically use all three in one turn.

But yeah. As Nifft points out, all Dimension Door-based abilities end your turn; if Shadow Pounce were unusable with DD-based abilities, it would basically be unusable period. Especially since Shadow Pounce calls out Shadow Jump, which describes itself as DD-based.

For getting teleportations this would be great, but need to qualify for the class first.
"If the character is not a shadow-walker, he must either possess the ability to shadow jump (as the shadowdancer prestige class ability) or be able to cast dimension door as a spell or spell-like ability"

Divine Intercession feat (DotD) allows you to burn turn/rebuke uses to create a Dimension Door-like effect, but requires turn/rebuke and access to the Travel or Trickery domain.

Ethereal Sidestep feat (Ghostwalk) allows at will Dimension Door, but requires you to be a Ghost from that setting.

...most other options I can find rely on PrCs or racial abilities.

The Divine Intercession feat would work if I had turning and the domain which I do not. Levels of Ninja, yeah I know cringe, and Fighter variants.

Shadowcaster from Tome of Magic has the Flicker mystery(spell). Standard action cast, but immediate action teleports/caster level. You'd be a Shadowlord for sure :smallcool:

Hmmmm with this I could ditch the Shadowlord levels as its done as an immediate action.

ShurikVch
2017-08-30, 02:19 PM
One more way to get the Dimension Door SLA is to take the Blood Oath with correct Fiend of Blasphemy (Fiend Folio):
Transfer Spell-Like Ability (Sp): At 2nd level, a fiend of blasphemy can use a power similar to the cleric spell imbue with spell ability to grant its cult members access to its spell-like abilities. A fiend can give one creature that has sworn it a blood oath access to as many of its own spell-like abilities as it desires. The cultist can use the ability once per day, with all variable characteristics (including caster level and save DC) determined as if the fiend were using the ability.Fiends with Dimension Door SLA are: Arrow Demon (Monster Manual III), Assassin Devil (Fiendish Codex II), and Dybbuk (Fiendish Codex I) - all are at-will; also - Barghest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/barghest.htm) and some of Faerūnian Fey'ri - 1/day