PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Do Shugenja have to choose an order that specialize in their element?

Luccan
2017-08-29, 02:34 AM
I've been digging into the shugenja and the idea of it has grabbed my interest more than it has in the past. I assumed when reading it in CD that you had to choose your order that matched your element (with Ineffable Mystery allowing any element). That seemed extremely redundant, but I accepted it. However, the only Shugenja guide I can find anywhere (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4367.0) insists that you do not have to choose a school that specializes in your element at all. So, do you or not? I'd appreciate the reason you think so along with an answer.

Sniper
2017-08-29, 02:43 AM
I'm away from my books, but if I recall, the passage on Orders states that a Shugenja's order usually matches his element, but not always. Nor can I remember any statement saying it must. I believe banned spells still apply though

Luccan
2017-08-29, 02:51 AM
Found the quote

Element Focus: All shugenjas have a favored element: air, earth, fire, or water. A shugenja's choice of specialized element is sometimes determined by the shugenja order in which he studies. At least half the spells a shugenja knows at each spell level must belong to his favored element, and the spell dictated by his order often belongs to that element as well. This is reflected on Table 1—4, which indicates how many spells of each level must be spells of the shugenja's favored element. At 1st level, for example, the shugenja Kitsu Mari must know at least three 0-level water spells—one water spell determined by his order and two additional water spells, plus two other 0-level spells of any element. He also knows one 1st-level water spell from his order, one additional 1st-level water spell, and one 1st-level spell of any element. Shugenjas automatically gain the benefits of the Spell Focus feat (+1 to spell DCs) for spells from their favored element, regardless of its school.

I highlighted the portions that caused my confusion. Looking at it again, I see what it meant, but it's written so that if you don't pay close attention the second highlighted section confuses it.

Sniper
2017-08-29, 03:15 AM
Found the quote

I highlighted the portions that caused my confusion. Looking at it again, I see what it meant, but it's written so that if you don't pay close attention the second highlighted section confuses it.

Yeah it's not the clearest of writing. I mean the section above the first part you bolded is "A shugenja's choice of specialized element is sometimes determined by the shugenja order in which he studies." Which is vague and implies only a casual link between order and element. I've got the CD errata on my hard drive at home, I'll check in an hour if it clarifies this

J-H
2017-08-29, 08:30 AM
Having started & built a Shugenja at one point, my warning is that they are very, very limited on spells known. It feels quite restrictive.
I would only want to play one in a low-magic campaign.

The Viscount
2017-08-29, 02:06 PM
Shugenja is poorly laid out, like how it mentions you have spell focus for all spells in your element, but that's buried deep in a paragraph about element focus.

As for Orders, there's not a concrete rule explicitly stating that, say, a fire shugenja must choose order of the consuming flame. We just have text that says "The Order of the Consuming Flame specializes in fire magic." They wrote it backwards so it's difficult to say that it's binding. This being said, I feel that there's a strong intention for you to choose an order that corresponds to your element. This being said, pretty much any shugenja benefits from order of the ineffable mystery.

Luccan
2017-08-29, 10:32 PM
I'm aware of the shugenjas limitations, that's part of what makes it so interesting to me. That and that it qualifies for hexer, meaning you can add a few decent wiz/sorc spells to it's list. I'd love to run one in a low tier game. Reading it again though. I don't think there is much of a purpose to the Orders if you can't choose a non-corresponding one, however. I don't believe any order offers a spell not otherwise found on the list, so you could just move that order spell to the "any non-prohibited spell" side of the known spells list. Unless you could specifically choose either a matching order/element or a differing order/element.

Edit: And based on the errata I found, no one felt the need to clarify.

BWR
2017-08-30, 12:31 AM
History time: the L5R shugenja which the 3.x shuggie adapted from will always have the Affinity (Focus) of the the School (Order) s/he trained in because the affinity is something learned through training, not something innate.

A shugenja School (Order in 3.x parlance) is a tradition and collection of philosophies and secret techniques unique to the School. The elemental focus is part of the education and imparted on the student taught in that School. A Kuni trained shuggie will always have Earth Affinity and Air Deficiency, an Asahina will always have Air Affinity and Earth Deficiency, and an Isawa will always have whatever Affinity and no Deficiency because they are OP.