PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5e Help with making Bugbear LA+1 with 0 RHD

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-29, 05:05 AM
Hello guys :)

I my group one of the new players want to play a Bugbear but I don't want him to lose class HD because of RHD.

The max LA allow in the game is +1(we are starting at level 1 and I want them to be able to buy it off fast).

I will like your help with changing the Bugbear so he will be able to play one.

This guy is going to play a Warlock but he may end up playing Rogue because that what he wanted from the start.

Celestia
2017-08-29, 05:08 AM
Just drop the hit dice, and you're good. The bugbear doesn't have anything that pushes it above +1 LA.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-29, 05:12 AM
Just drop the hit dice, and you're good. The bugbear doesn't have anything that pushes it above +1 LA.

I will do it, I really should learn this stuff.
What is your source of knowledge about Race Power(Mein Kampf isn't 3.5e)?

Edit:
I am sorry, I had to.

Celestia
2017-08-29, 05:19 AM
I will do it, I really should learn this stuff.
What is your source of knowledge about Race Power?
Just compare it with other races, preferably ones that fill a similar niche. Look at respective traits and how useful those are in a real game. For the bugbear, the main limiting factor is that it has so few traits. It's ability bonuses and natural armor give it some nice numbers, but other than that, it doesn't bring much to the table. Darkvision and Scent are nifty, but not game changing.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-29, 05:54 AM
Just compare it with other races, preferably ones that fill a similar niche. Look at respective traits and how useful those are in a real game. For the bugbear, the main limiting factor is that it has so few traits. It's ability bonuses and natural armor give it some nice numbers, but other than that, it doesn't bring much to the table. Darkvision and Scent are nifty, but not game changing.

Thank you for the help

DrKerosene
2017-08-30, 09:29 AM
In the vein that 3.5 has higher LA for "evil races", I think that a Bugbear without HD would be strong for an LA+1 race, going through the playable LA+1 and +2 list, the Bugbear stat mods are better than most LA+2 races. Except they usually have some SLAs.

I would suggest making the stats only +2 to two physical stats and -2 to Cha. Keeping the bonus to Move Silently and Scent and Darkvision unchanged.

TotallyNotEvil
2017-08-30, 11:22 AM
+4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Medium size.
A bugbear’s base land speed is 30 feet.
+3 natural armor bonus.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent.
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin.
Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue.
Level adjustment +1.

One almost doesn't realize I just deleted the RHD lines from the SRD info. Perfectly fine like this.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-30, 12:22 PM
+4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Medium size.
A bugbear’s base land speed is 30 feet.
+3 natural armor bonus.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent.
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin.
Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue.
Level adjustment +1.

One almost doesn't realize I just deleted the RHD lines from the SRD info. Perfectly fine like this.

This is the same as Celestia replay.

Zombulian
2017-08-30, 12:57 PM
This is the same as Celestia replay.

I think they were just augmenting the point.

Sam K
2017-08-30, 02:02 PM

In an experienced group that optimises a bit, the bugbear at +1 LA wouldn't be too much of a problem. But in a group of new players, who probably do not know much about the game mechanics or which classes are strong, the bugbear stat bonuses and armour is pretty impressive. I don't know if it would be overwhelming but if you have two beatsticks, one bugbear and one PHB race, the bugbear will look significantly more impressive.

Might not be a problem for the group in question, but I felt it was worth bringing up.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-30, 02:38 PM
In an experienced group that optimises a bit, the bugbear at +1 LA wouldn't be too much of a problem. But in a group of new players, who probably do not know much about the game mechanics or which classes are strong, the bugbear stat bonuses and armour is pretty impressive. I don't know if it would be overwhelming but if you have two beatsticks, one bugbear and one PHB race, the bugbear will look significantly more impressive.

Might not be a problem for the group in question, but I felt it was worth bringing up.

We have 2 beatsticks, I am the second one and I will be very happy if the new guy will feel stronger(I am planning on nerfing my Crusader damage so he will be stronger, I just want the new guys to be the important party members).

It will be better if he will be stronger.
Anyway, this guy is going to choose a new race, rule and class because he don't like the idea anymore(luckily we have time until we start).

If I will need more help with lowering the new guys races LA to 1 I will ask more help(I will like to check my changes by opening a new thread but it will take some time).