PDA

View Full Version : Use Magic Device

Jack Mann
2007-08-11, 01:41 PM
I was looking at the rules for scrolls, and something occurred to me. By a strict reading of the RAW, one could argue that you need not only the rolls to decipher a scroll, actually use it, and possibly emulate an ability score, but also a roll to emulate class feature (caster level). After all, caster level is essentially a class feature of a casting class, and it's needed to use a scroll. However, I don't think this was actually intended. Does anyone know where if this is cleared up anywhere?

Merlin the Tuna
2007-08-11, 02:02 PM
Using UMD to emulate a high caster level has been a tactic of universe-destroying Artificers for a while, I think, though there has been arguments over whether or not that actually works. The entire "emulate a class ability" thing isn't very well outlined.

I'm not of the impression that you need to use it to activate a scroll, though -- that's covered in the "use a scroll" usage.

Jacob Orlove
2007-08-11, 02:59 PM
Yeah, if you're allowed to use UMD to emulate a Caster Level, REALLY BAD things happen. These are probably the top two:

Rogues can use Candle of Invocation to gain full Cleric spellcasting.
Artificers can use Staffs of Skill Enhancer (and a few key spells) to gain an arbitrarily high UMD score/Caster Level, and then walk around with a Staff of Blasphemy or Holy Word and kill anything and everything they meet (SR doesn't help, because their Caster Level is arbitrarily high).

RandomNPC
2007-08-11, 03:06 PM
so a character, say a rogue, with a 15 in UMD (lets not worry about how) can't use magic devices because he doesn't have the caster levels to set off wands or scrolls or anything?

the best thing i saw UMD used for was when a vampire went gaseous form to cross running watter. the rogue pulled out a gust of wind scroll and pinned him down in a corner while the party buffed for the fight. was that not right?

Fax Celestis
2007-08-11, 03:07 PM
Artificers can use Staffs of Skill Enhancer (and a few key spells) to gain an arbitrarily high UMD score/Caster Level, and then walk around with a Staff of Blasphemy or Holy Word and kill anything and everything they meet (SR doesn't help, because their Caster Level is arbitrarily high).

Would that be a Blaspheficier?

Black Hand
2007-08-11, 05:17 PM
I'm unsure of any recent rulings, But I do know that I had balatantly taken advantage of UMD in the NWN Hordes of the underdark.

By the time I was a lvl3 fighter/3 rogue, I was able to make my way around the levels that were ment for 12th level characters, all I needed was a few good scrolls (gate was useful).

Still though, I think it was a bug in the game there's no way I'd let that happen in any real D&D game.

Curmudgeon
2007-08-11, 06:52 PM
I was looking at the rules for scrolls, and something occurred to me. By a strict reading of the RAW, one could argue that you need not only the rolls to decipher a scroll, actually use it, and possibly emulate an ability score, but also a roll to emulate class feature (caster level). After all, caster level is essentially a class feature of a casting class, and it's needed to use a scroll. However, I don't think this was actually intended. You're overlooking the obvious. The UMD roll to Use a Scroll (20 + caster level) is exactly the same DC as Emulate a Class Feature for a full casting class:
your effective level in the emulated class equals your Use Magic Device check result minus 20. So Use a Scroll satisfies this class feature requirement. The checks for Decipher a Written Spell and Emulate an Ability Score (if necessary) still need to be satisfied. Luckily, these several checks don't take up any in-game time.