PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim: D&D 5e

TheIceborn
2017-08-29, 09:06 AM
I've been looking only for a 5th edition conversion of Skyrim, but i was unable to find it. Having some spare time in the summer, I spend a week fleshing out some stuff I would like to see in a Skyrim-themed game. The first link contains rules for shouting and Skyrim races; the second link is a Skyrim Monster Manual.
Hopefully, it can be of use to somebody. i'd appreciate feedback! :)

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1Bv-0r_-

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1OODGs_b

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-29, 01:12 PM
Now you just need the statistics for the arnor and weapon types ie dwarvish gets beaten by orcish so on and yadda yadda

TheIceborn
2017-08-29, 01:40 PM
Now you just need the statistics for the arnor and weapon types ie dwarvish gets beaten by orcish so on and yadda yadda

Making one material more powerful than the other (well, in 5e at least) basically makes it an equivalent of a magic item. Should I go with that route?

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-29, 02:10 PM
Making one material more powerful than the other (well, in 5e at least) basically makes it an equivalent of a magic item. Should I go with that route?

It would make sense.but yeah

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-29, 03:21 PM
Huh. From what I've gleaned about the upcoming game I'll be playing in, it's got a minor Skyrim vibe to it as well. Not so much in the gear sense, but that it's been described as a sandbox adventure and we can be mercenaries if we want.

What doesn't help is the fact the Rogue's player requested she be captured at the start of the campaign. I already joked about her wanting the Elder Scrolls experience.

Lawful Good
2017-08-29, 06:24 PM
OKAY. I LOVE THIS THREAD ALREADY.

I've tried to do this before (or at least find this on the internet), and this is what I found:

http://hedgegm.blogspot.hu/2015/01/the-elder-scrolls-conversion-project.html

Alternative races:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fwms-sWLLm_6Unv-1rjLNPlBieDnM9dwy6jAI5xE9_0/edit?usp=sharing

Other than those, reskinning will work wonders. It's not a [X], it's a Troll!

For the armor:
I wouldn't go for the magic item part myself, at least not for all the armor materials.
I would say just replace 5e armor options with Elder Scrolls options.

Ex: Ring Mail->Iron Armor
Chain Mail->Steel Armor

Once you get to materials that are "magic" (in Elder Scrolls terms this would be material that can harm undead)
Ex: Dwarvish->+1 Armor
Ebony->+2 Armor
Daedric->+3 Armor

GlenSmash!
2017-08-29, 06:41 PM
I'd use the different materials to make different tiers of "magic" armor/weapons

+1 Elvish for light, Bonemold for medium, dwarvish for heavy
+2 Glass for light, Stalhrim for medium, Orcish for heavy
+3 Dragonskin for light, Dragonbone for Medium, Ebony for Heavy

or something like that, I know it leaves out chitin, Nordic, Scale and a bunch of other armors.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-29, 06:42 PM
I'd use the different materials to make different tiers of "magic" armor/weapons

+1 Elvish for light, Bonemold for medium, dwarvish for heavy
+2 Glass for light, Stalhrim for medium, Orcish for heavy
+3 Dragonskin for light, Dragonbone for Medium, Ebony for Heavy

or something like that, I know it leaves out chitin, Nordic, Scale and a bunch of other armors.
Nah just fluff it correctly like we've already done

GlenSmash!
2017-08-29, 07:00 PM
Nah just fluff it correctly like we've already done

Where have you done it correctly? I must have missed that.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-29, 07:09 PM
Weve changed the various armor types to plus ones as masterwork equipment. Ebony and daedric as well as dragon skin.
Heavy heavy light, stahlrim medium and more in the previous posts. But bone mold medium but its lore driven as heavy. It can be that chittin can be medium armor for its heavy variant. And light for its obvious light version but we can discuss this further.

So early tier weak
Later tiers plus 1 50 and up plus 2
And game ending level 100 smithing plus 3

Mjolnirbear
2017-08-29, 07:15 PM
So the shouts looked very interesting, but how does one obtain them? In the game you unlock each word at a shrine then empower it with a dragon soul. Yes, the Greybeards can teach you and empower you, but only the dragonborn can learn the way they teach you in the game; all others have to spend long years in study, like the Greybeards. Dragon souls in standard D&D are hard to come by.

Possible solutions:

A) can learn one word per character level
B) can take a feat allowing you to empower a one-word shout once per short rest; and a three-word shout once per long rest (variant: killing a dragon grants this ability)
C) words can be given out like treasure or scrolls, so the DM controls which shouts are available; player might be able to quest for a specific shout.

JBPuffin
2017-08-29, 07:27 PM
Lemme just grab my Wabbajack right quick...

Reskinning is certainly a route to take, but I wonder if we can't do better. Skyrim has no medium armor category - I suggest you just cut it out and replace it with a simple Light (base AC 11+Dex) and Heavy (base AC 16). Shields do normal shield things. Then split the armor types into their Tiers - Tier 0 (No perks to forge) has no additional modifiers. Tier 1 (up through Dwarvish/Elvish, perhaps) adds a 1 to AC, Tier 2 (up through Glass) adds 2, and Tier 3 (all the way up to Dragonbone) adds 3. Shields stay at a +2, but they might reduce damage taken per hit instead (equal to tier, maybe), and Weapons add their Tier to damage.

Admittedly, I'm biased since I'm scrapping medium armor my next time behind the screen, but I can see it working.

Also: shouts as boons. DM gives them out as quest rewards.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-29, 07:36 PM
Weve changed the various armor types to plus ones as masterwork equipment. Ebony and daedric as well as dragon skin.
Heavy heavy light, stahlrim medium and more in the previous posts. But bone mold medium but its lore driven as heavy. It can be that chittin can be medium armor for its heavy variant. And light for its obvious light version but we can discuss this further.

So early tier weak
Later tiers plus 1 50 and up plus 2
And game ending level 100 smithing plus 3

I'm sorry, I'm still not seeing where you've made these changes. I see the Weapon and Armor tables on the Tamriel D&D google doc linked above, but that doesn't seem to match up with what you are describing.

the other links posted in the thread have Races, Monsters, and Shouts, but I didn't see weapon and armors on there.

TheIceborn
2017-08-30, 05:18 AM
I left the details about giving away shouts up to the DM, although my personal go-to would be giving them away as boons for quest completion, as someone's already said.

After reading through the thread, I added "Weapons and Armor" section to the link. Enjoy! :)

Laurefindel
2017-08-30, 07:54 AM
First, kudo on your document. Now some constructive criticism if you allow me.

Some of the Thu'um don't have an uttering time for their second word. Does that mean the second word doesn't add to the "casting time"?

Also, 1 action for each word sounds rather long. That's 18 seconds for a 3-word phrase (unless I misunderstand the uttering time rules). I understand that some of them are quite powerful, but In game time, spending 3 rounds for an effect that sometimes lasts 3 rounds doesn't sound balance with the rest of 5e mindset. Does uttering a 3-word thu'um require concentration? What happens if you get attacked mid-phrase?

Also, it seems that the Fighter could complete a 3-word thu'um in less time that anyone else with action surge. Is that voluntary?

Not all your races seem balance at first sight. Some races like the Redguard and the Imperial appear weak (especially since you put them side-by-side with some of the PHB races). I get that weapon proficiencies imply a warrior-race, but for most martial characters, it doesn't mean a thing at all. Ironically, non-martial classes profit the best from the warrior races.

I think you could integrate the racial special powers in there somehow (e.g. Nord's Battle Cry). Not necessarily a direct translation (no need to give the barbarian full rage feature to all Orcs), but something to elder scroll up the races further.

TheIceborn
2017-08-30, 08:10 AM
First to adress the Thu'um: I realize now it's a poor wording on my part... no matter how many words you use, uttering takes one action; mechanically, it takes the same action to say "Fus" as it does to say "Fus-Ro-Dah".
As for the races, are there any others that seem too weak, and do you have a solution for those that already are (Redguard, for example)?
P.S. I don't mind constructive criticism at all! I'm trying to make the system as balanced as possible (although giving away shouts at levels appropriate not to unbalance the game is up to the DM), and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Laurefindel
2017-08-30, 08:25 AM
First to adress the Thu'um: I realize now it's a poor wording on my part... no matter how many words you use, uttering takes one action; mechanically, it takes the same action to say "Fus" as it does to say "Fus-Ro-Dah".
As for the races, are there any others that seem too weak, and do you have a solution for those that already are (Redguard, for example)?
P.S. I don't mind constructive criticism at all! I'm trying to make the system as balanced as possible (although giving away shouts at levels appropriate not to unbalance the game is up to the DM), and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Ok, that makes more sense. For the Thu'un, you could leave the uttering time out of the word's description and add that uttering a thu'un, regardless of the number of words in it, takes 1 action in your introductory paragraph (maybe right before you mention the short rest/long rest recharge).

I'll see if I can get suggestions for races after work

TheIceborn
2017-08-30, 08:48 AM
I'll do just that, probably tonight. Thanks for the help! :)