PDA

View Full Version : We can dance if we want to! [prc]

TheThan
2007-08-11, 02:48 PM
Capoeira Warrior

No one really knows for sure where the martial art of Capoeira originates. Many scholars believe that it was developed by orc slaves to prepare for a revolution. These slaves created a form of unarmed combat that could easily be mistaken for “traditional orc dances”. Others believe a bard turned monk, who had a thing for dancing and acrobatics created it.
But whatever the true origin of Capoeira, one thing is certain, it is an ancient Martial art that has grown in popularity recently. This has given rise to the Capoeira Warrior. Most Capoeira warriors are monks, though many other classes can easily become one. Many such practitioners are street performers or exhibitionists that use the flashy style in performances called Rodas.

Requirements
Base attack bonus: +6
Skills: tumble 6 ranks, and perform (dance) 3 ranks
Feats: acrobatic, dodge, mobility, Improved unarmed strike (or monk unarmed attack ability)

Hit dice: d6
Skills: balance (dex), bluff(cha), climb (str), craft (int), escape artist (dex), jump (str), perform (dance) (cha), sense motive (wis), swim (str), tumble (dex)
Skill points at each level: 4+ int modifier

Class features:
Weapon and armor proficiency
Capoeira warriors gain no special weapon or armor proficiencies.

Unarmed damage (ex)
A Capoeira Warrior class levels stack with her monk levels (if any) for the purposes of determining his unarmed damage. If a Capoeira Warrior doesn’t have monk levels prior to becoming a Capoeira Warrior, treat her as a monk of the same class level as her Capoeira Warrior class level for determining her unarmed damage.

Ac bonus:
The Capoeira Warrior gains this bonus to armor class as long as she is wearing no armor or light armor, and not carrying a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against tough attacks or when the Capoeira Warrior is flatfooted. She loses this when she wears any armor heavier than light, when she carries a shield or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Samba (Dance):
A Capoeira Warrior can dance and tumble around opponents, a certain number of times per day. While in this Samba (dance), she can take a full attack action (for melee attacks only) an still move up to her speed. However the Capoeira Warrior must move a minimum of 5 feet between each attack when using this ability, and she cannot return to a square she just exited (she may return to that square later during the full attack). the Capoeira Warrior is subject to attack of opportunity while dancing, but may tumble normally as part of her move. a Capoeira Warrior prevented from completing her move is also prevented from finishing her dance.
If a Capoeira Warrior wields no weapon while in a Samba, she gains a bonus to her attack and damage rolls. This bonus is a +1 at first level and increases by an extra +1 at every odd numbered level there after.
A Capoeira Warrior may only perform a Samba while Unarmed. She cannot perform a Samba in any armor other than light or if she is encumbered, or if she is wielding a shield. While dancing, a Capoeira Warrior cannot use skills or abilities that involve concentration or require her to remain still, such as move silently, hide, or search. A Capoeira Warrior with the bardic music ability can sing while still dancing. A Capoeira Warrior can also use the combat expertise feat while in a dance. A Capoeira Warrior cannot perform a Samba while under the effects of a rage or frenzy ability.
A Capoeira Warrior can perform a Samba (dance) only once per encounter. A Samba lasts 1 round for every two ranks of perform (dance) that the character has. At the end of a dance the character becomes fatigued for the duration of the encounter (unless she is a 8th level Capoeira Warrior, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

Movement mastery:
A Capoeira Warrior is so certain of her movement that she is unaffected by adverse conditions when making a jump, perform (dance), or tumble check. She may take 10 even if stress and distraction would normally prevent her from doing so.

Evasion/ Improved Evasion (Ex)
At 2nd level and higher, a Capoeira Warrior can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Capoeira Warrior is wearing light armor or no armor, and caring a medium or heavier load. A helpless Capoeira Warrior does not gain the benefit of evasion. If a Capoeira warrior has gained evasion from another source then, she gains improved evasion instead.

Acrobatic charge
A Capoeira Warrior of 4th level or higher can charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or allies blocking her path. This ability allows her to run down steep stair, leap down from a balcony or tumble over tables to get to her target. Depending on the circumstances she may still need to make the appropriate checks (jump, tumble, balance) to successfully move over the terrain.

Defensive Roll (Ex):
The Capoeira Warrior can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Beginning at 5th level, Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the Capoeira Warrior can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, she must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll—if she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the Capoeira Warrior’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Head spin
At 6th level and higher, a Capoeira Warrior that has entered into a samba, may make a full attack against any single target. She must move 10 feet before performing the head spin, but she does not have to move 10 feet between each attack. She still gains all the benefits of the samba class features (and the whirlwind samba feature), but at the end of her turn (in which she has used her head spin), her samba immediately ends.

Whirlwind samba
A Capoeira Warrior of 8th level gains the ability to enter a special whirling samba. When a Capoeira warrior enters into a Samba (dance) she gains one extra attack at her highest base attack bonus, this attack takes a –2 penalty. She can only make this extra attack while in her samba and only once per turn. In addition to this, she gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC and reflex saving throws. These bonuses last only as long as her samba lasts. They go away at the end. Additionally at the end of her samba (dance) she no longer suffers from fatigue and can act normally.
The whirlwind Samba is otherwise identical to the standard Samba in all other ways. At 10th level, the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4.

Capoeira Warrior
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|AC bonus |Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0 |
+1| Samba 1/day, Unarmed damage

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0 |
+1|Movement mastery, evasion/improved evasion

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1 |
+1|Samba 2/day

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1 |
+2|Acrobatic charge

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1 |
+2|Samba 3/day, Defensive Roll

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2 |
+2| head spin

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2 |
+3|Samba 4/day

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2 |
+3|whirlwind samba (+2 ac and reflex)

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3 |
+3|samba 5/day

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3 |
+4|whirlwind samba (+4 ac and reflex)[/table]

Note I've grown a bit tired of kung fu being the be all and end all of monks and martial arts in general, so I've decided to (slowly) expand the martial arts world a bit and create some prestige classes that showcase some of the more distinct martial arts out there. But as always questions, comments and critiques are always welcome.

wadledo
2007-08-11, 03:10 PM
AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
MY EYES!!!
A PRESTEGIE CLASS FOR THE MONK!!!
IT BURNS!!!
The bab is a little high in my opinion, because of the monk being good at level 7, and the d6 is to low for a secondary fighter.
Also I would take out the unarmed clause in samba, but keep the absence of bonuses.
Other than that, A+.

MagFlare
2007-08-11, 04:40 PM
Aw, dang. I was thinking up a Capoerista prestige class, and then you had to go and a.) use virtually every idea I was going to and b.) do it much better than I ever could.

Nice work!

brian c
2007-08-11, 05:11 PM
Awesome.

That is all I have to say.

Also, I now have a great idea to re-write the whole monk class with variants for different martial arts.

TheThan
2007-08-11, 06:22 PM
Why would I want to loose the unarmed restriction for the samba ability? As it stands now, it is slightly weaker than the Dervish Dance ability (just begs to be used with a keen scimitar or Kukri, and combined with the scout’s skirmish ability). Why would I want to make it more powerful than an already good ability?
The only thing that I can see as being a little much is if a monk combines his flurry of blows ability with it, but I don’t think the bonuses are enough to throw off the curve too much. However I cans see reducing the bab to average, seeing as it is a dance after all.

Aw, dang. I was thinking up a Capoerista prestige class, and then you had to go and a.) use virtually every idea I was going to and b.) do it much better than I ever could.

Nice work!

But Capoerista is a much better name than what I though up

Awesome.

That is all I have to say.

Also, I now have a great idea to re-write the whole monk class with variants for different martial arts.

I’m not really looking at making variants, just prestige classes that represent other styles of martial arts. I’ve already done boxing (look in my sig) and now Capoeira. I’ll be doing a grappling class next (better than the reaping mauler). I’ve got a few other ideas for some fictitious martial arts too.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-11, 07:19 PM
Nice! I love dance!

- Who says dancing isn't manly?

I'm very interested in that grappling class. Just a point, when grappling spellcasters I'm always worried they'll be able to cast anyways. i'd really like to see an ability that increases the dc for casting while grappled.

HomerHT
2007-08-11, 07:35 PM
When I clicked this topic I was really hoping the PrC would have been called "Man Without Hat."

Cool class, though.

TheThan
2007-08-11, 08:43 PM
Sorry to disappoint, well at least on one part.

paddyfool
2007-08-12, 07:10 AM
I like it. But then, I have dabbled in Capoeira.

The bab is a little high in my opinion, because of the monk being good at level 7,

I disagree - imho, the Monk should really be a full BAB class anyway, especially given how much less powerful it is than all these new ToB classes.

the d6 is to low for a secondary fighter.

This is a good point... and there's no real reason why capoeiristas would be less tough than a cleric (especially as they've had their saves nerfed already). So, OK, Monk BAB progression and a d8 hit die would work just as well.

I have a few suggestions: 1) maybe the class should gain some extra bonus from Bardic Music while doing a Samba, but that feature's already a little rules heavy so it's not a big deal 2) There should be a penalty to flanking against this class - while sparring in a hada, new people come in to swap in and out with existing fighters all the time, and you have to be aware of what's going on with everyone around you, not just the capoeirista you're facing at any given time 3) In keeping with the "chained hands" part of the origin of the art among slaves, maybe some reduction in penalties for fighting while fettered (if there are any - I'm not sure what the rules are for this).

Yeril
2007-08-12, 10:37 AM
Kinda looks exacly like a Dervish with half the class features missing and then restricted to unarmed combat and no armour.

Pan narrans
2007-08-12, 10:45 AM
''But whatever the true origin of Capoeira, one thing is certain, it is an ancient marital art that has grown in popularity recently.''

Unfortunate typo. Cool class though!

TheThan
2007-08-12, 12:22 PM
Ahh someone who knows what their talking about!

Really all I know is what I read on wikipedia (which isn’t always the most reliable source of information), and what I’ve seen on Youtube (there isn’t as much as I’ve hoped on it, but there is some good exhibitions and such).

It is based off the deverish, mainly because it has a built in class feature for a dancing combat style. So I figured “why not borrow from it”. But if you think it’s too light in abilities, I’ve got some things I’ve been holding back.

I just added the head spin ability, evasion/improved evasion and the defensive roll abilities.
I was also thinking of some sort of bonus or ability that utilizes feinting in combat. The Capoeira as I have observed is highly dependent on misdirection and evasion. But I think it’s fine as is.
oh and i fixed that typo.