PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian Archetype: Path of the Strider (Druid-esque)

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-08-29, 12:57 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16igEjRq-RhUJz11mFmEGikTJeitDALiAI87TmEtEAQI/mobilebasic

I’m back to making homebrew stuffs! I decided to start making more homebrew classes and archetypes with something I’ve wanted in the base game for awhile: a Druidic Barbarian. I made this archetype since the Barbarian can’t cast and rage at the same time, something this archetype has a bit of a way of getting around. This was heavily inspired by Druidic Land Circles, the Nature Cleric, and a little bit from the Rangers. As always, please respond with any criticisms or suggestions.

nickl_2000
2017-08-30, 07:44 AM
First comment, I feel like this is the EK or AT for the Barbarian (cool, why not).

Neither EK nor AT are allowed to use a focus. I would think for consistencies sake this shouldn't be either.

Nature's Fury
2. You may change the damage type granted by the Elemental Conduit feature as an action - This seem unwhelming. With the restrictions on rage requiring you to take/deal damage if you use this you would likely lose you rage instantly. Plus from an action economy perspective this would be painful in battle. I would think a bonus action would be sufficient to make is a little painful, but still effective. It is a high level ability after all.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-08-30, 08:01 AM
First comment, I feel like this is the EK or AT for the Barbarian (cool, why not).

Neither EK nor AT are allowed to use a focus. I would think for consistencies sake this shouldn't be either.

Nature's Fury
2. You may change the damage type granted by the Elemental Conduit feature as an action - This seem unwhelming. With the restrictions on rage requiring you to take/deal damage if you use this you would likely lose you rage instantly. Plus from an action economy perspective this would be painful in battle. I would think a bonus action would be sufficient to make is a little painful, but still effective. It is a high level ability after all.

Yep! You were right on. I saw that the two othee martial classes had their own spellsword variant, and figured the Barbarian deserved one. The only reason I could see them having a focus unlike EK or AT is because rather than a Wizard, they're based on Druids, which have a deep understanding of nature, hence their ability to use the focus. As a Druid-esque class, it makes sense to carry over the focus. With Nature's Fury, I'm concerned about changing the Elemental Conduit feature as anything less than an action, given that while using a Gaia Rage, you gain immunity to the element in question. This way, you have to sacrifice a turn to gain the damage type and immunity. Plus, by level 14, the player has probably picked up a feat like Sentinel to make sure they always get their damage off, even as a reaction.