PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Eberron Campaign - Psychic Warrior vs. Divine Mind

FredJPutz
2017-08-29, 01:11 PM
My DM really wants to get a Eberron campaign going and after initially pushing back I've done some research and have come around after seeing some of the new classes and races. Debating between rolling a Psychic Warrior or a Divine Mind as a Kalashtar (due to Power Point additions). I am completely new to Psionics as is my DM so I'm hesitant to roll this out but I think that if I research it enough it could be a really fun character. I like the mantles, powers and additional HP that the Divine Mind has but it seems almost TOO flexible in order to be great at end game.

I was already looking at playing him as a Chaotic Good follower of Dol Dorn with the conflict mantle which seems to follow Eggs ranking system as a 'good' play. (found by googling 'divine mind' and being led to this forum)

Has anyone had experience with one of BOTH classes that could weigh in for me with some pointers or direction? Thank you!

-FJP

Dunsparce
2017-08-29, 01:18 PM
Divine Mind is extremely weak, Almost any other psionic class is a better choice.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-08-29, 02:01 PM
Divine Minds have some weak unique aura abilities, and weak psionic abilities. As a concept, it's got potential, but as implemented, it's only useful in a low-power campaign, or if you use houserules, like so:
Increase the aura range, +20' at first level is good.
Increase manifester level, make it equal to class level, instead of [class level - 4].
Increase powers known. Grant a first-level power at level 1, 2, and 3, then a second-level power at 4 and 6, third-level power at 8 and 10, and so on. That gets you 12 powers known by level 20, being one more first-level power, one more third-level power, and one more fifth-level power. You get powers earlier, too.
Increase power points per day, by 50%.
Increase skill points to 4/level, and add some social class skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Sense Motive.

Note: you could boost the class much more and still not break the game. This is just basic stuff, to turn the class into a functional psionic leader-type.

Psychic warriors have strong combat-oriented psionic abilities. Psychic warriors can get one mantle, using the ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a).

Ardents have even stronger psionic abilities, but are less focused on physical combat, and they're slightly weirder in their power selection. Ardents get mantles.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-29, 02:56 PM
Psychic Warrior all the way. At any given level, a Divine Mind is going to have roughly half the psionic power of a PsyWar (1-2 power levels behind, and about half the pp and powers known). They get auras, but the auras are weak, and certainly don't match up to the PsyWar's bonus feats. And their HD is only a d10, which compared to the PsyWar's d8 is basically insignificant.

If you like mantles, the PsyWar can get one mantle via the ACF ExLibrisMortis mentioned. Otherwise, an Ardent is a solid gish. Ardent 6/(Illithid) Slayer 10, or Ardent 4/Ranger 1/(Illithid) Slayer 10 makes an excellent mantled warrior build, for instance. You lose a bit of HP compared to the PsyWar or Divine Mind, but you get a lot more manifesting.