PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dwarf Warlock Character

Officer Joy
2017-08-29, 02:53 PM
Thanks in advance for reading.

So I'll be joining a friends DnD5 game next friday.
They only play with the core books, and use standard array and are lvl 7 at the moment, and I would be joining at lvl 6

So for fun I randomly rolled what to play.

And I rolled a Mountain-Dwarf Fiend-Blade-pact-Warlock, which didn't had the worsed synergy.
I'd take Heavily Armored at lvl 4 to round out my strength (and make my dex less relevant.)
Str 18; Dex 8; Con 15; Int 12; Wis 10; Cha 14
Athletics +7, History +4, Survival +3, Intimidation +5
45HP; 8 tempHP; and an AC 18 (if I can have plate)
I'd get; Dwarven Resilience, Stonecunning, Dark One’s Blessing, Devil’s Sight, Eyes of the Rune Keeper, Heavily Armored, Thirsting Blade, Dark One’s Own Luck

Spell i'd take; Eldrich Blast, Minor illusion, Mage hand, Hex, Command, Blindness/deafness, misty Step, Fireball, Counterspell, Dispel magic

I'd try to keep hex active while hitting things with my warmaul for 2x 3d6+4
and when needed drop my hammer and Fireball the opposition.

That I have to take the feat to wear heavy armor hurts tons, and I'll still won't be able to use shields.
but if if Start with a 2 lvl Paladin dip I'd get all that and more.
I'd be able to round out both my strength and my constitution at Lvl 6.
Str 18; Dex 8; Con 16; Int 12; Wis 10; Cha 14
Athletics +7, History +4, Survival +3, Intimidation +5
54HP; 6 tempHP; and an AC 20 (shield+plate)
I'd get; Dwarven Resilience, Stonecunning, Divine sense, Lay on hands, Fighting stile dueling, DIVINE SMITE, Dark One’s Blessing, Devil’s Sight, Eyes of the Rune Keeper

Don't yet know what spells to take, but it'll be similar to my pure lock, and I got the freedom to switch out my paladin spells

I'd still try to keep hex active while hitting things with my warhammer for 1x 1d6+1d8+6, but I'd be able to smite when it counts

I expect Thorin won't be lvl 6 for more than a session, and then I'll take Thirsting Blade

I wrote out the background for the second option in English. The pure Warlock will just be guard/soldier before the pact instead of a training paladin.
Thorin grew up in Axeford. That was the second biggest city in the Himlermountains, on the easter most edge of the dwarven kingdoms. Where it stood guard against the wild goblin tribes that left their swamps in great numbers every winter to try and break into the Dwarven lands.
Like most Dwarfs in Axeford Thorin joined the army when he came of age. He served under General Eric Windblown, a paladin with some renown. While never very smart or quick, Thorin was liked by his general and learned some paladin techniques from him. Thorin gained the rank of Captain and was going to take the Oath in his Generals' order.
But before that could happen the Goblins launched a surprise attack in late Fall. Eric, Thorin and the rest of his men held one of the side entrances. The fighting was fierce there and while defending the wall, a goblin pulled his hammer out of Thorin's hand. Without a weapon there wasn't much Thorin could do, so he signaled to Eric that he was going to get a new one in the garrison. A minute after he left the wall he heard a great crash. He was in a narrow path when he saw more than a dozen Goblins racing at him from the wall. While he was bracing himself for his early death, he heard a voice promise him a weapon if he would promise his loyalty. When he did, a weapon appeared in his hand just in time for the coming hoard. Thanks to the narrow path Thorin was able to make a fighting retreat. Killing several of the goblins. And soon the goblin were attacked themselves in the back by Eric and the surviving men.
Thorin enjoyed a few days of fame while the fortifications were being repaired. When that was done he offered to take his oath, but Eric refused and pointed to Thorin his new hammer. Eric told him to leave with his honor less tarnished, or he would make sure Thorin got banished. So Thorin told his parents he desired to explore the world and left.
The first night he was camping between the mountains an Imp appeared before him. The Imp explained that Kathos had given him power and hoped he would become a full-fledged Paladin indebted to him. As disappointed Kathos was that it didn't happen that way. She saw potential in him, and promised to keep increasing his power as long as he use it competently and never against her. All he needed to do was follow her orders loyally next time he was in his homeland.
Once the Imp left Thorin quietly vowed to himself to never return and wander the land righting wrongs wherever he found them, hoping to do his general proud.

It feels to me the second option is a lot more powerful, but then I'd not really be doing what the dice told me to do.

TLDR: Can I still call myself a bladelock if I start with 2 lvls' of Paladin?

Specter
2017-08-29, 03:40 PM
Another option is just one level of Fighter. You won't smite, but other than that you're all good: a fighting style and bonus healing ALONG WITH 3rd-level spells and two attacks, which you won't get yet with 2 Pal levels. If not, then I'd just go straight lock.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-29, 03:43 PM
I don't see why you couldn't be a bladelock with Paladin start.
Though I do kinda wonder why Blade when you have weapons and their proficiencies from starting Pally.
I'd go Tome or Chain and have a blast.
Perhaps go up to Pal 6 at some point for some save goodness.

But that's how I'd play the character.
Tome could get you the Ritual casting, and definitely extra cantrips.
Grab Vicious Mockery and be an abrasive Dwarf that kills by insults.

Officer Joy
2017-08-29, 11:52 PM
I doubt the other players are particularly well optimized, so I'm not really worried about starting without lvl 3 spells or my second attack.
I'll give me a nice jump in power after I've started in the group.

Another option is just one level of Fighter. You won't smite, but other than that you're all good: a fighting style and bonus healing ALONG WITH 3rd-level spells and two attacks, which you won't get yet with 2 Pal levels. If not, then I'd just go straight lock.

But if I go fighter, I'd be very hard not to go 2 lvl's for Action Surge so I can have some burst damage, which brings me back to 4 lvls' of Warlock
but then with less (and less flexible) healing, without the 2 extra lvl 1 slots, and without the ability to smite.

I don't see why you couldn't be a bladelock with Paladin start.
Though I do kinda wonder why Blade when you have weapons and their proficiencies from starting Pally.
I'd go Tome or Chain and have a blast.
Perhaps go up to Pal 6 at some point for some save goodness.
If I don't go Blade pact, I'd have to at least go to 5 lvls of Paladin to have my second attack, And then it'll be very hard not to take 6.
And if the game stops before lvl 13 I'd probably never have more Warlock than paladin.

And I've never done a full Multiclass before and am afraid I'll alway be waiting for the next feature.

Safety Sword
2017-08-29, 11:59 PM
Seems you're trying to justify selecting a thing you've already decided on.

So just do it?

Officer Joy
2017-08-30, 12:55 AM
Seems you're trying to justify selecting a thing you've already decided on.

So just do it?
Yeah that'st true in a way.
I think starting paladin is strongest, but I don't really know if it is. So I was hoping for the community to tell me.

But I'm not just offhandedly dismissing the ideas, I looked into starting fighter but it just didn't compare favorably.
And if I go more Lvl's Paladin, I'd probably just want to stay pure Paladin.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-30, 04:35 AM
And if I go more Lvl's Paladin, I'd probably just want to stay pure Paladin.

You could always RP as a Paladin of your Patron, if your DM's okay with that.

Who knows, it could provide some fun RP options for you to take advantage of.

Regulas
2017-08-30, 08:57 AM
It's really too bad they won't let you use UA, cause there's both Hexblade (shield proficiency and Cha as attack stat) and there's the warlock smite option.

For spells why not mirror image? It's not concentration.

Officer Joy
2017-08-30, 10:38 AM
For spells why not mirror image? It's not concentration.

I bet I read it as Minor Image, and not looked into it.
That's dyslexia for you.

I'll check it out, but what I remember of it. It's going to be a take.
Thanks

Joe the Rat
2017-08-30, 11:03 AM
You're building as a Basher. Two levels of Paladin will help a lot in that regard - namely a few more hp, and all the armor and weapon options you'd desire. Plus 10 points of healing, and a couple of 1st level slots for whatever.

However, I'd stick Maul, and Great Weapon Fighting style. You can always release a hand to cast, particularly for the no-material-component spells.

Officer Joy
2017-08-30, 11:03 PM
But if I go fighter, I'd be very hard not to go 2 lvl's for Action Surge so I can have some burst damage, which brings me back to 4 lvls' of Warlock
but then with less (and less flexible) healing, without the 2 extra lvl 1 slots, and without the ability to smite.

Thinking more of it, a big plus of going fighter is that Action Surge comes with it's own resorce, and doesn't compete with spell casting.

However, I'd stick Maul, and Great Weapon Fighting style. You can always release a hand to cast, particularly for the no-material-component spells.
First idea was to go maul. But GWFstyle only gives 0.333... extra damage on 2d6. With a Maul I'd probably go with the Defence-style. For part of the benifit of a shield.

djreynolds
2017-08-30, 11:40 PM
Yes this build works.

bid
2017-08-30, 11:42 PM
First idea was to go maul. But GWFstyle only gives 0.333... extra damage on 2d6. With a Maul I'd probably go with the Defence-style. For part of the benifit of a shield.
4/3 is 1.333, but yeah defense seems better.

Officer Joy
2017-08-31, 03:34 PM
4/3 is 1.333, but yeah defense seems better.

Basic math is hard. But yeah. It's 7 vs 8,333 to use great weapon fighting on a warmaul.

But as th DM doesn't let me start with plate, I'll be using a shield, and duelling.
(I can start with having already orderd my plate, just have to make the final payment, and go pick it up.)