PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Races advice needed

BatCrooks
2017-08-29, 04:42 PM
I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum at first. I'm trying to convert a bunch of sapient creatures from the Flight Rising IP (flightrising.com) to player races for a campaign/"sourcebook" that takes place in that world (i.e., these are the only races present, none of the published races like humans/dwarves exist.) Any advice? Are some too OP/too underpowered? I haven't converted most of the raw stats stuff to flavor yet, just trying to iron out the trait balance first. I tried to stick to JamesMusicus "point-buy" system of race creating!

Centaur (horse people) (should they be Large?? not sure what it would entail)
STR +2
Base Speed 40 ft
Natural Weapon: Proficient with unarmed strikes using your Hooves, which do 1d6+Str mod bludgeoning

Subrace
Dunhoof
CHA +1
Proficiency in History and Persuasion
Language: Draconic

Wintermane
DEX +1
Charger - When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature. If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack’s damage roll (if you chose to make a melee attack and hit) or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and you succeed).

Swiftfoot
CON +1
Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Dryad (nature people)
WIS +3
Speak with Small Beasts. Through sounds and gestures, you can communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts.
Vulnerability to Fire damage
Innate Spellcasting: The dryad's spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 11). It can innately cast the following Spells, requiring no material components:
At will: Druidcraft
1/day each: Entangle, Goodberry
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Photosynthesis - You have advantage on Attack rolls made in direct sunlight.
Mask of the Wild - You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.

Harpy (humanoids with wing arms, their hands are on their wings so I left them with a normal land speed for actually holding weapons? I feel like they might need something else)
DEX +2
Walk Speed 30ft
Wings - You have a flying speed of 50 feet. To use this speed, you can’t be wearing medium or heavy armor. While flying, if you do not move at least half your speed during your turn, you fall to the ground.
Tool Proficiency. You gain proficiency with the Artisan tools of your choice.
Talons. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on a hit. (Finesse)

Subrace
Flock
WIS +1
Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
You know the Gust cantrip. WIS is your spellcasting ability for it.

Prince
CHA +1
Keeper of the Lore: Choose two proficiencies from this list: History, Religion, Performance, Arcana

Longneck (basically anthro llamas)
WIS +2 / DEX +1
You have proficiency with the Artisan tools of your choice.
Sure-footed - You have advantage on DEX checks involving balance and climbing.
Healing Arts: You have proficiency in Medicine and with Healer’s Kits. When you use a healer’s kit to stabilize a dying creature, that creature also regains 1 hit point.
Stonecunning. Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
Adaptability - You are proficient in Survival and have advantage on CON save rolls.
Long fur - Resistance to Cold

Mith (small moth people)
INT +2 / DEX +1
Small (speed 25, disadvantage with heavy weapons.)
Wings - You have a flying speed of 40 feet. To use this speed, you can’t be wearing medium or heavy armor. When you take damage while flying, make a Constitution save with a DC equal to 10 or half the damage taken, whichever is higher. If you fail the saving throw, you fall to the ground.
Hover - You can hover in place.
Cunning - You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
Darkvision
Nimble. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.

Serthis (nagas)
DEX +2 / CHA +1
Natural Armor - 12+dex
Poison Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Bite attack - 1d4 - Finesse
1/day, on a successful Bite, apply poison damage as Serpent’s Poison (A creature subjected to this poison must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.)
Superior Darkvision
Survival of the Fittest - You have proficiency in two of the following skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Persuasion, Stealth, Survival

Corven (crow people that culturally don't fly often)
WIS +2 / INT +1
Poor flyer - Flight speed of 30 ft. You cannot fly if wearing medium or heavy armor and cannot take an Attack action or cast a spell if you use this fly speed during your turn. While flying, if you do not move at least half your speed during your turn, you fall to the ground.
Proficient in Religion and Nature
Can cast detect magic 1/short or long rest
Spirit Tracking - If you meditate in a place for 10 minutes you know whether any sapient creatures have passed through the area in the last day and their general mood.
Connected to the Land - You know a druid cantrip of your choice.

Raptorik (small bird of prey people)
DEX + 3
Wings - You have a flying speed of 50 feet. To use this speed, you can’t be wearing medium or heavy armor. While flying, if you do not move at least half your speed during your turn, you fall to the ground.
Pack Tactics - advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one ally is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
Talons. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on a hit. (Finesse)
Brave - You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Nimble - You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.

yarrowdeathbloo
2017-08-29, 06:00 PM
Theese look fine for the most part the only problem i see with them is that some get a +3 bonus to one stat as no other race does this I would recommend for the dryad at least changing the stat bonus to +2 wis +1 cha.