PDA

View Full Version : Using PrCs as Base Classes in Pathfinder E8

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-08-29, 07:34 PM
Obviously only 10-level PrCs are appropriate, but which ones would translate best into base classes? Are any too powerful if gained without other features at levels 1-8? Too weak?

Let's set some ground rules for ease of discussion:
*Classes only grant/advance what they give themselves. Ignore "+1 spellcasting class" and similar. Evangelist's Aligned Class feature is an exception because it's an actual listed class feature.
*The classes get proper skill and proficiency lists.

Pathfinder Chronicler and Noble Scion seem promising to me, as being the "rich friend" is more valuable early before everyone's loaded and Chronicler is a mundane Bard that can make Performance scrolls!

NomGarret
2017-08-29, 09:52 PM
Interesting idea. I think some of them may need spellcasting built back in, though not in ways that stack. Let's see:

Arcane archer - Still not great, but suddenly worth considering as its class features come online at decent levels rather than way too late. It wants some spellcasting back in order to use Imbue Arrow.

Assassin - At first blush, a rogue with a lot fewer options. I would really consider at least scaling the DC of Death Attack down to a normal 10+1/2 lvl+mod.

Dragon Disciple - I'd probably play a bloodrager instead, but it's not bad.

Eldritch Knight - Useless without spellcasting, fantastic with it. Not what this exercise is for.

Mystic Theurge - Yeah, no.

Shadowdancer - This one has some early-entry troubles going on. Shadow Jump is maybe forgivable given the restrictions, but Shadow Power comes online before full casters would get it and both Slippery Mind and Shadow Call come online several levels ahead of expectation.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-08-30, 12:31 AM
Interesting idea. I think some of them may need spellcasting built back in, though not in ways that stack. Let's see:

Arcane archer - Still not great, but suddenly worth considering as its class features come online at decent levels rather than way too late. It wants some spellcasting back in order to use Imbue Arrow.

Assassin - At first blush, a rogue with a lot fewer options. I would really consider at least scaling the DC of Death Attack down to a normal 10+1/2 lvl+mod.

Dragon Disciple - I'd probably play a bloodrager instead, but it's not bad.

Eldritch Knight - Useless without spellcasting, fantastic with it. Not what this exercise is for.

Mystic Theurge - Yeah, no.

Shadowdancer - This one has some early-entry troubles going on. Shadow Jump is maybe forgivable given the restrictions, but Shadow Power comes online before full casters would get it and both Slippery Mind and Shadow Call come online several levels ahead of expectation.
Hmm, regarding the Shadowdancer, is Shadow Conjuration 3/day and Shadow Evocation 1/day that good compared to actual casting, at level 8? As you noted with the Dragon Disciple, they're still competing with actual base classes here. Either way, thanks for the feedback!