PDA

View Full Version : Roy Theory

NickD
2007-08-11, 04:07 PM
Sorry if this has already been theorised, these forums move too fast for me to keep up...

I'm guessing that Roy will stay dead and Hinjo, with Azure city out of his control and most of the Sapphire Guard dead, will join the OOTS as the party leading tank in his place.

Malic
2007-08-11, 04:14 PM
Roy's not dead yet. He still has to take out Xykon. He has to much of a backstory to die. The Previously named Unnamed Soldier's might join. Hinjo can't ecause he has a lot of citizens to help.

factotum
2007-08-11, 04:55 PM
I think it's clear that Hinjo won't join the OotS unless they're going to help him retake Azure City. He had to be convinced to leave in the first place, there's no way he'll abandon his city (and his home and people!) to get some sort of revenge on Xykon--that would be an extremely un-Paladin like thing to do. (Miko would have done it in a heartbeat, of course :smallwink: ).

The Extinguisher
2007-08-11, 05:30 PM
Oh, no doubt Roy will be back. But not anytime soon like people think. He hasn't even been dead for 50 comics yet. Things take time! You don't just kill off the main character only to have him come back in a couple of strips. That's bad storytelling.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-08-11, 05:36 PM
The Giant said in Paladin Blues that "The whole comic is basically Roy's story." I doubt he's going to change that.

Charles Phipps
2007-08-11, 05:46 PM
Roy's not dead yet. He still has to take out Xykon. He has to much of a backstory to die. The Previously named Unnamed Soldier's might join. Hinjo can't ecause he has a lot of citizens to help.

The Xs mean he's dead. The question isn't whether Roy is dead, it's whether Roy is GONE.

And Roy isn't going to stop Xykon. That's the Order of the Stick's Job.

For me, I'd love for Roy to become Obi Wan Kenobi to Elan.

You know, forced to make Elan the big hero.

;3019881']The Giant said in Paladin Blues that "The whole comic is basically Roy's story." I doubt he's going to change that.

He also said Miko would be with us for the entire strip.

The Giant is awesome but he's as honest as George Lucas.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-11, 05:51 PM
It still can be all about Roy after he's died. Ressurection side-quest anyone?

As we can see, Roy's already been seperated from any clerics that can that can raise him.

monty
2007-08-11, 05:53 PM
He also said Miko would be with us for the entire strip.

The Giant is awesome but he's as honest as George Lucas.

If that's true, I think we'll be seeing more of Miko in the future.

Albub
2007-08-11, 06:00 PM
If that's true, I think we'll be seeing more of Miko in the future.

Oh please god no, I almost quit reading for the part with Miko, that almost destroyed my love for this comic, like permanently.

Suspect-Device
2007-08-11, 06:11 PM
If roy was not meant to be revived then why would they comic make such a point of retrieving his corpse from the chasm?

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-11, 08:12 PM
I've really been wondering lately whether the true "main protagonist" of the story was Roy, or if it was actually Elan's story. He's had just as much screen time as Roy, had his own side-arc where he became the ultimate action-hero, saved "the girl", is really hilarious... if this story were about anyone besides Roy, it would be Elan.

What made me question this was that the story is about half over, according to most estimates based on Rich's statements, and Roy is dead. So it could be kind of like if the first half of the story was Roy's and the second half is Elan's?

But then again, Elan was on the cover of "Dungeon Crawling Fools" and Roy was on "No Cure For The Paladin Blues", and I doubt that Rich would use the same character twice.

David Argall
2007-08-11, 09:33 PM
Roy has been the one who has set the goals and made the decisions. He is the protagonist. Elan has merely been following along providing the comic relief. While he has appeared often [but not as often as Roy], he could be erased and while the story would lose out, the plot would be only rarely changed.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-08-11, 10:31 PM
I've really been wondering lately whether the true "main protagonist" of the story was Roy, or if it was actually Elan's story. He's had just as much screen time as Roy, had his own side-arc where he became the ultimate action-hero, saved "the girl", is really hilarious... if this story were about anyone besides Roy, it would be Elan.

What made me question this was that the story is about half over, according to most estimates based on Rich's statements, and Roy is dead. So it could be kind of like if the first half of the story was Roy's and the second half is Elan's?

I really hope so. He is my favorite character in the whole strip. :smallsmile:

:elan:

Aris Katsaris
2007-08-11, 10:52 PM
Roy has been the one who has set the goals and made the decisions.

Um yeah, in short Roy's been the leader of the group.

And in Lord of the Rings, the goals and decisions are made by Gandalf, but Tolkien himself nonetheless felt that it was Samwise the gardener who was the central character of the story; because he exemplified best the "elevation of the humble" that was one of the themes.

Elan has provided lots of the moral and emotional core of the comic. Nale's antagonism to Elan, Haley's affection to Elan, even Roy's or Varsuvius' annoyance at Elan have driven several different storylines.

And if the unfrivolification of the frivolous is one of OoTS themes, then I'd say Elan best exemplifies that. :-)

Krytha
2007-08-11, 10:55 PM
Ha. Ha. Ha. The day Elan becomes the main overall protagonist is the day the OotS spontaneously combusts. Possibly because of Elan pressing buttons, but all his fault in some way or another.

Em Blackleaf
2007-08-11, 11:09 PM
Well, Roy is the main protaginist.
He's got too much left to do to die just yet.
OoTS has gone too far without anyone else joining, I don't think it's happening any time soon.

Just my theory:
It's only a sailboat that has left shore, someone will just direct the ship back to shore, to Haley, Belkar and Roy's body. Then, they'll all get on the ship and Durkon will revive Roy.

DrivinAllNight
2007-08-12, 12:07 AM
My personal feeling on this time in Roy's story is at a close, until the next story arc, i don't see Roy coming back from the underworld until after this arc ends. It makes for good storytelling and also allows for another goal in the next arc. Maybe even bringing Miko back somehow, not that she should be back but if she was supposed to be around till the end, she just might be brought back as well, maybe after O'Chul goes and says it was Miko that destroyed the gate not him. She might be willing to come back if only to clear up her name and become a Paladin again.but that's just a theory. Roy though has no real use for the rest of this Arc other than to be carried around as dead weight. Xykon & RC have pretty much won this round, time for a Arc-ender soon, some can't-wait-till-the-next-arc starts type of comics to keep us anxiously waiting as the Giant does some needed R&R.
That's my 2cp:smallcool:

David Argall
2007-08-12, 01:16 AM
And in Lord of the Rings, the goals and decisions are made by Gandalf, but Tolkien himself nonetheless felt that it was Samwise the gardener who was the central character of the story; because he exemplified best the "elevation of the humble" that was one of the themes.
The little halflings have a central role in destroying the Ring. Indeed, one can argue that everything not focused on them is simply a diversion to allow them to slip in without notice. With Elan, we have no such role.

Elan has provided lots of the moral and emotional core of the comic. Nale's antagonism to Elan, Haley's affection to Elan, even Roy's or Varsuvius' annoyance at Elan have driven several different storylines.
Note that all of these are "to" or "at". Elan has in other words been passive in just about everything. Things are happening to him. He is not causing things to happen.

And if the unfrivolification of the frivolous is one of OoTS themes, then I'd say Elan best exemplifies that. :-)
Given that Google can't even find a case of the word, it seems rather unlikely it is a theme. And looking at the current comic, where Elan is unable to even realize the ship is leaving the dock, not to mention his inability to realize there were people right behind him recently, Elan seems as frivolous as ever.

factotum
2007-08-12, 01:43 AM
Note that all of these are "to" or "at". Elan has in other words been passive in just about everything. Things are happening to him. He is not causing things to happen.

Well, he definitely caused the rescue of Haley to happen...

Charles Phipps
2007-08-12, 01:59 AM
Roy has been the one who has set the goals and made the decisions. He is the protagonist. Elan has merely been following along providing the comic relief. While he has appeared often [but not as often as Roy], he could be erased and while the story would lose out, the plot would be only rarely changed.

So could Roy. Tomorrow, I'd still tune in and we'd just watch Elan or Haley develop leadership skills (or leave it to Hinjo). No one in the Order of the Stick can't be replaced except for haley/elan.

Everyone else, including Roy, can get the double X.

TheGrimace
2007-08-12, 02:10 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here.

1.) the first book was Roy's story (thus being on the cover)
2.) the second book was Elan's story (thus being on the cover)

Elan was relatively unimportant in the first book, but in the second, a lot had to deal with him.

I see Hayley's coming to power as a sign of whom will be on the next cover.
She's the only thing that will make Elan serious, for those of you who wont let the unfrivilous theory die.
AND
She wants to resurrect Roy, which will bring him back in time to be at the end of the story, which really, is all about him.

Anyone here ever played Crono Trigger?
cuz then you would know what was happening.

now for parting words of wisdom

The Ogre Magi always plays against coventional story telling

Don't tease the octopus kids.

Oberon
2007-08-12, 02:14 AM
Given that Google can't even find a case of the word, it seems rather unlikely it is a theme. And looking at the current comic, where Elan is unable to even realize the ship is leaving the dock, not to mention his inability to realize there were people right behind him recently, Elan seems as frivolous as ever.

You got a problem with made-up words? Just because he couldn't (or chose not) to use real English to express his idea doesn't mean that the idea can't be a theme. Any concept can be described in many ways, depending on which words you choose.

But yes, Elan is very frivolous, both in his lack of perception and his love of the silly and trifling (puppets, purposefully "dramatic" moments, etc.) and silliness pretty much HAS to be one of the basic elements of a webcomic based on D&D. :smalltongue:

Acyberexile
2007-08-12, 02:14 AM
I'm sorry people, but you are forgetting one thing, Roy is the reason why the order is fighting with Xykon. Without his blood oath and more importantly, without him, noone in the order would fight Xykon. I'd like to remind you that nobody else was brave enough to face Xykon one on one on both occasions. The only reason they will fight Xykon from now on, if they ever, would be for taking vengeance. Vengeance of Roy.

Come on people, think a little. Elan's actions are just recurring jokes. If we count him as a main character then we have to count Haley as a main character as well, she also has a backstory and a couple of strips devoted to issues relating her. And about the LotR thing, it's not related to this. Sam is important there, because if it wasn't for him, Sauron would probably have won. He represents the simplicity and humility of goodness, opposed to the complex conspiracies of Sauron. In the case with Elan, he's just a comic relief, not the protagonist.

Oberon
2007-08-12, 02:25 AM
I'm sorry people, but you are forgetting one thing, Roy is the reason why the order is fighting with Xykon. Without his blood oath and more importantly, without him, noone in the order would fight Xykon. I'd like to remind you that nobody else was brave enough to face Xykon one on one on both occasions. The only reason they will fight Xykon from now on, if they ever, would be for taking vengeance. Vengeance of Roy.

Umm... I think a few of them might care about this whole end-of-the-world thing. Seems kinda important, no?

Edit: In fact, we have proof here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0293.html) that Haley and even Roy don't care about the blood oath so much as saving the universe.

TheGrimace
2007-08-12, 02:40 AM
I feel so shot down...

you mention treating Hayley as a main character to be an exceptionally moronic thing to do. Unfortunately, you suggest that moments after I called Hayley the main character.

BOO

Foxtale
2007-08-12, 03:46 AM
A little harsh perhaps to call Elan 'comic relief' anymore. He definitely has a lot more going for him than that. A separate story arc, background, motives, etc. Apart from his lack of leadership qualities (which he tends to demonstrate over and over, eg. his 'inspiring' speech to the guards), he has just as much right as Roy to be the main character. To contrast, Merry and Pippin were comic relief in Fellowship but by Two Towers had stepped out into the main cast. But OOTS seems to be more a group serial than a single character driven comic. Roy's quest isn't as important to them anymore, but it still hovers in mind.

factotum
2007-08-12, 11:52 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here.

1.) the first book was Roy's story (thus being on the cover)
2.) the second book was Elan's story (thus being on the cover)

Elan was relatively unimportant in the first book, but in the second, a lot had to deal with him.

I don't see the logic. Elan didn't really come to the fore until the Cliffport sequence, which occurs well into the 300s and is therefore well after Book 2 finishes. Also, "On the Origin of PCs" is apparently all about Durkon's story (given that he appears inside the covers), which is a bit odd when he doesn't appear in most of the strips in it...

Charles Phipps
2007-08-12, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry people, but you are forgetting one thing, Roy is the reason why the order is fighting with Xykon. Without his blood oath and more importantly, without him, noone in the order would fight Xykon.

Wow, now you're just making :censored: up. Do you think ANYONE in the Party is going to go hide in the woods now? If Roy had been animated as a Zombie and then killed (i.e. unable to be raised) they'd STILL be opposing Roy because they're heroes! This whole stuff about Roy being the only reason they're heroes may have been true at the start but it's not now.

They'd stop Xykon because the entire world is in peril.

BTW, people do realize Roy was a lousy leader? Right? It was a whole part of his thing that no one followed his orders and everyone disrespected his every decision (that often turned out to be wrong).

It's a comedy strip, Roy was not Superman who could do no wrong.

If we count him as a main character then we have to count Haley as a main character as well.

I see no problem with this. In fact, now, I consider Elan and Haley the stars.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-12, 02:48 PM
Alright, lets put this in simpler terms. If Roy comes back really soon, we miss out on all the afterlife jokes and plot points. Especially a conversation with his father and more fighter-hating by Eugene.

And there is no way he can fit all that in the twenty something comics till 500, not with the other stuff that needs to happen as well.

So Roy won't be back soon. My guess, 500 in the end of the story arc, with Belkar, Haley and maybe Lien and O-chul needing to find a way to the rest of the party. The next arc after that will deal with Roy in the afterlife, then a ressurection sidequest, then he's back.

Sly Reference
2007-08-12, 10:49 PM
Roy is the only one that can hold the party together. Without him, Belkar in particular would soon realize he has no reason to be loyal to the group. Haley and Elan would quickly spiral off into their own relationship and quests, particularly paying off Haley's father's ransom. Durkon was part of the group because he was Roy's friend -- he might be willing to take up the burden of trying to kill Xyklon, but who would follow him? V might, but even she would soon be distracted. And anyway, Durkon's more of a sergeant than a lieutenant.

As for Roy's leadership, he's more of a manager than a leader. As far as that goes, he does a pretty decent job. He lets the party members have their own initiative, though mostly he doesn't have a choice. This is more of a family than an army, though, so that's not a bad thing.

An as for whether this is Roy's or Elan's story, they're not mutually exclusive. It's Roy's quest. He's the guiding light behind the missions, has formed the group and makes decisions. In that way, it's definitely his. But it's also Elan's story, because we get to see his character evolve and grow. He started off as a child and we are witnessing his coming of age. That's why he's the emotional center of the story -- it's the story of him growing up.

In my opinion, Roy won't die until there is someone in the story who can replace him, and right now there isn't anyone. It would be best if Elan was the one who replaced him, but he's not ready for that.