PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Unseen Servant Shenanigans

JBPuffin
2017-08-29, 10:46 PM
I love the Unseen Servant - having a little floaty guy doing stuff for you, while you do other things and concentrate on other subjects - and just realized you can have more than one active. Assuming six-second combat rounds (meaning you can cast one as a ritual, then cast another six seconds later, for as many spell slots as you have - sorcerer probably works best for this), what sort of fun would you have with loads of these things? Not thinking combat necessarily, but these things are just fuuuuuun.

Chugger
2017-08-29, 10:52 PM
They're not combat oriented, but unseen serv and maybe mage hand can do things like spill flasks of oil, spread caltrops or ball bearings on the floor - perhaps even tie trip wires - and certainly push or mess with creatures. I suppose you could toss a sheet over one and act like it's a ghost. I stick mage hand inside puppets. Yeah, loads of fun.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-30, 02:07 AM
You could set up some of them to help players into/out of their armor before a long rest, have them cook a meal while you discuss things with the party, and all that sorta mundane stuff.

coredump
2017-08-30, 08:40 AM
Keep in mind they move slowly, they can't keep up while walking.
Also I think the spell only lasts 1 hour.

I have tried being clever with them, but little success.

snickersnax
2017-09-01, 06:47 PM

No need for them to keep up, just carry them :)

JBPuffin
2017-09-01, 09:32 PM

I have tried being clever with them, but little success.

What were you trying to do with them? My DMs would probably be more forgiving than most, and yeah, if you're trying to use them as pack mules, you've missed the boat (that's what Tenser's Floating Disk is for).

wilhelmdubdub
2017-09-05, 12:10 AM
"Here, hold this shield and stand in front of me," everyone gets partial cover.

sir_argo
2017-09-05, 01:14 AM
This topic was already covered. Just be aware that it takes a bonus action to order an Unseen Servant, therefore, if you have 100 of them active, you can really only give instructions to one per round. So yeah, you could have them all hold up shields (100 shields!), but then when you want to move 20' forward, it'll take you a good amount of time (100 x 6 seconds = 10 minutes).

Renduaz
2017-09-05, 01:37 AM
After having all servants, cast Invisibility on yourself. Try to array them in lines on an upcoming battlefield quickly or form a multi-ringed circle with gaps of a single servant that only you are aware of for entry ( Or just Misty Step/fly/teleport inside if you can ), then attack/cast a spell to initiate your party's engagement.

Any melee attacker which can't fly/teleport gets bumped into the servant outer ring/ a line when trying to reach you with movement. It's an action to shove, and an action to attack. And it's invisible so he's not even sure what's happening. Tries to move 5 feet from different direction, gets bumped again. If wasting action to destroy servant, then next turn bumps into the inner ring, or more depending on how many servants and how large each circle in the multi-ring. At this point they might even summarize you're surrounded by some Forcecage-like barrier in their mind and give up, never thinking beyond it. Ranged attackers or spellcasters shooting in a straight line hit the servants instead.

All it takes for you in the meantime is to stand on your tiptoes or something or put down some platform to stand on/Levitate/etc.. to target enemies with your spellcasting, then drop back down. Intelligent ranged attackers might then figure to target you from an upper angle if they can, but could possibly be circumvented with some kind of upper protection.