PDA

View Full Version : help with a character concept

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 05:27 PM
hello, i wanted to make an exalted warlock (please dont ask why and dont post about the stupidity of BoED, i've already heard it all), and cant really think of anything to go with exept vow of poverty (it fits very well with the warlock class's abilities and makes it very cool).

the unnamed character is a warlock because his great grand-father made a pact with asmodeus and was well rewarded. havnt decide on a race, gender, or feats. any suggestions would be greatly apreciated!

Jack Mann
2007-08-11, 05:32 PM
You might look into the Enlightened Spirit prestige class from Complete Mage. It's made for good warlocks.

Quietus
2007-08-11, 05:39 PM
Various vows are nice. Also, talk to your DM about a unique Exalted feat that lets you do subdual with your Eldritch Blasts. If you have good cha, look into the Words of Creation - if nothing else, they're amusing. I believe there's also Celestial Familiar, and then the various "Knight of Stars" style things - great RP choices for free bonus exalted feats. Make up for your grandfather's pact by making one of your own!

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 05:40 PM
yeah i saw that, but i like the invocations more than the blasting (for this guy anyway), but ican use almost any book but magic item comp. and the newer eberron books. i am shooting for 6th level, and i think i will be human (so i may be able to take vow of pov. if need be).

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 05:41 PM
well, thats the thing, my guy wants to sort of kill... amodeus...:smalleek: i know, long shot for 6th level, but thats his dream. well, if at all posible, i want to stay warlock to get those invocations, but if i get an awesome suggestion ill take... power isnt this guys strong suite, and houseruled that vow of non violence lets you deal subdual with eld blast.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-08-11, 06:15 PM
well, thats the thing, my guy wants to sort of kill... amodeus...:smalleek: i know, long shot for 6th level, but thats his dream. well, if at all posible, i want to stay warlock to get those invocations, but if i get an awesome suggestion ill take... power isnt this guys strong suite, and houseruled that vow of non violence lets you deal subdual with eld blast.

He just needs to gain 24 levels and come back with some friends along the same power level. XD

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 08:20 PM
for the time being he will just go after devils and worshippers, but i think he will be a fun character to play. i was thinking either sanctify sp ability, or maybe i could make up an exalted invocation.

Xefas
2007-08-11, 08:36 PM
Unless you're going for "Watch me use evil invocations to kill evil stuff, oh the irony!" specifically, you could go for a "Lookit, my evil is redeemed, and now its shiny n' stuff!". By this I mean, homebrew some Exalted invocations. At the moment, the only invocations are in Complete Arcane and Dragon Magic, to my knowledge.

For example, you could make Lesser invocations out of Radiant Fog or Radiant Shield (BoED page 104), which make good contrasts to the usual Warlock's darkness-themed stuff.

Or, you could do something like, you start out with normal invocations, and then you can go on some sort of sidequest, or at some part along the main quest, have more exaltedy invocations replace your old ones as you become closer to the heavens.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

Dhavaer
2007-08-11, 08:40 PM
Eldritch Disciple, maybe? You only need 3 levels of cleric to qualify, and after that your invocation progression is pretty much unbroken.

Lemur
2007-08-11, 09:08 PM
I'd reconsider taking Vow of Poverty. From what I've heard about warlocks, Use Magic Device is an important part of their class abilities, and VoP completely screws that up.

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 09:36 PM
why does that screw it up? oh yeah i forogto to mention that my group (me especially because i love the warlock) feels the warlock is slightly underpowered at higher levels, so he gets 4+int skills, +cha bonus to eld, blast (10th lvl) and im pushing some item creation feats (my dm wont budge cuz i annoy him all the time about it). also i had a thought about the item restriction:
DM: how do you have ten days rations, rope, clothing, and horses? you have vow o pov.?!
Me: these things are not mine, they belong to evryone. if a man on the road needs a horse to get to town, i shall allow him to take the horse which travels with me. if one neds food, they must merely ask me. i hold these scrolls of healing not for myself, but for the benifit of all who would... um... benifit from healing.
DM: you are really strtching this!
Me: (use eldritch blast to hurt someone evil, Bluff) oh no? a man is hurt by mere chance! do not worry sir, for although you are evil, i have the people's healing scrolls, you may have one!
DM: you just shot him!
Me; it was an accident, and bessides im exalted i wouldnt do that!

Tengu
2007-08-11, 09:49 PM
DM: you are really strtching this!

I agree. If you have VoP, you cannot use those items, simply. And you cannot buy anything for your share of money, since you donate it all to charity.

Also, the example with shooting a bad guy is either Stupid Good (if you know this guy did something evil) or not good (if he just registers as evil on a detect-o-meter).

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 09:54 PM
yeah i know, just a thought. i was thinking maybe a luminous armor, path of the exalted, hammer of rightousness invocations. i also like dark discorporation, so maybe i could just make it more "exalted" sounding...

i am seriously considering apostle of peace, but instead of clerical spells, use invocations!

Tengu
2007-08-11, 09:58 PM
That'd be a good idea, but you'd have to combine it with the another already mentioned houserule of a feat that lets you do non-lethal damage with eldritch blast.

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 10:17 PM
well, we houseruled that all attacks made by a character (except sneak atacks) with the nonviolent vow can be nonlethal, and death attacks have to stun, not kill (i played a DM aproved exalted monk assasin once!). i really think that the apostle of peace is cool, but i am worried that the character's idea is gane: he wants to kill asmodeus. but maybe he could just TALK to him...? that would be really cool, an exalted untouchable hero who goes to hell to speak with the lord of all evil, just to get the pact of his family removed. the apostle idea could work, but it would take a lot of home brewing. any exalted invocations you huys could think of would be great, but i dont wanna ask too much:smallsmile:

Tengu
2007-08-11, 10:40 PM
That reminds me of Fallout and Planescape: Torment, in both of which games if you're smart and persuasive enough, you can defeat the final boss without even drawing your weapon, just by the sheer power of persuasion. Which is awesome.

Also, while persuading Asmodeus would be devilishly (heh, heh) hard, it'd be still easier than defeating him in combat.

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 10:54 PM
i hear that! anyway, i think i got it: exalted warlock//apostle of peace (fitted for concept). take vow of pov and vow of non-violence, and skill focus (diplomacy).

Arvis the Warlock my be exalted, but he's devilishly charming!

and thanx for the input evrbody!

PinkysBrain
2007-08-11, 11:01 PM
Vow of Poverty doesn't fit well with the warlock class abilities, the only class it fits is the druid ... and even for the druid it's pretty weak, especially if the MIC is allowed (for wilding clasps). It might fit the character, but it makes you strictly weaker in a normal wealth game.

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 11:11 PM
i dissagree for the big reason: high AC, and ability bonus, which i will pour into con and cha. the apostle of peace homebrew will allow me to be very good (literlly and figuartively) and at the same time, weapons will shatter on me, my blast can knock creatures out cold, my invocations can protect me and my allies, and i simply will not get hurt very often. plus vow of poverty isnt about power, it is about sacrifice... duh! that's why it is exalted and not something you take for a major benifit.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-11, 11:36 PM
I have no trouble with the rest of the character, I just took exception to the statement that VoP fits the warlock class. You can get as good or better bonuses from items ... and beyond that you can get items which improve your offensive capabilities, which you are blocked from using with VoP.

Now obviously it's a prerequisite for Apostle of Peace, but I never quite understood that part myself (hell, in his picture he has a staff a scroll and some pretty expensive looking rags).

slexlollar89
2007-08-12, 11:14 AM
yeah, i know, but when we do VoP we let a few things slide, like ancestral weapons or amulets, like i did a samurai (oriental adv.:smallsmile: ) with the vow, but he was allowed to use jis katan (as a monk weapon too!) that guy was reallly cool, especially because he fought my Vile Monk (his brother) who i thought had died. but the way i see it s that the vow is a scrifice, not about being powerful. you dont take VoP for the abilities' strengths, you take it because it represents a lifestyle of sacrifice for good (the abilities are to keep it balanced with evrybody else).