PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other A few simple feats (Enchanted, Flight, Insightful Strike)

rferries
2017-08-30, 01:01 AM
Each of these feats is balanced with Leadership in mind (i.e. I aimed for effects roughly as powerful as having an NPC to serve you; mine are arguably more balanced due to the prerequisites).

Enchanted
Your arms and armour are always imbued with magic.

Prerequisites
Craft Magic Arms And Armour or Magical Aptitude, character level 6th

Benefits
Your natural weapons (including unarmed strikes), as well as any weapons you wield, are treated as magic weapons with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four character levels you possess. For example, a +1 flaming longsword wielded by an 8th-level fighter with this feat would be treated as a +2 flaming longsword.

Any armour you wear is treated as magic armour with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four character levels you possess. Clothing (and nudity) counts as armor with an effective Armour Class of +0 for this purpose.

Any shield you use is treated as a magic shield with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four character levels you possess.

Special
The effects of this feat overlap (do not stack) with the enhancement bonus of any magic weapons, armour, or shield you use. Those items retain any special abilities they possess.

A fighter may select Enchanted as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Flight
You are no longer earthbound - whether by sprouting a pair of wings, riding a magical cloud, or even flying through sheer force of will.

Prerequisites
Magical Aptitude, character level 6th.

Benefits
You gain a fly speed equal to twice your base land speed with perfect maneuverability.

Special
If you possess the fast movement special quality, your fly speed from this feat increases by 20 feet.

A fighter may select Flight as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Insightful Strike
Your fists and feet always strike true.

Prerequisites
Improved Unarmed Strike, Magical Aptitude, character level 6th.

Benefits
You make unarmed strikes as melee touch attacks instead of melee attacks.

Whenever you make a full attack (but not when you make a flurry of blows), all unarmed strikes you make are made at your full attack bonus.

Special
A fighter may select Insightful Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats.

nonsi
2017-08-30, 10:05 AM
I'm curious why you chose Leadership as your measuring tool. It is known as one of the more broken feats out there (easily among the top 10 and more probably among the top 5).

Westhart
2017-08-30, 10:15 AM
Each of these feats is balanced with Leadership in mind (i.e. I aimed for effects roughly as powerful as having an NPC to serve you; mine are arguably more balanced due to the prerequisites).

Enchanted
Your arms and armour are always imbued with magic.

Prerequisites

Benefits
Your natural weapons (including unarmed strikes), as well as any weapons you wield, are treated as magic weapons with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four character levels you possess. For example, a +1 flaming longsword wielded by an 8th-level fighter with this feat would be treated as a +2 flaming longsword.

Any armour you wear is treated as magic armour with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four character levels you possess. Clothing counts as armor with an effective Armour Class of +0 for this purpose.

Any shield you use is treated as a magic shield with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four character levels you possess.

Special
The effects of this feat overlap (do not stack) with the enhancement bonus of any magic weapons, armour, or shield you use. Those items retain any special abilities they possess.

Hmm, I might split this into two feats, one for weapons and the other for armor... course I would have no problem with it in one of my campaigns... (besides that the bonus would be really high due to no capping) but most games are probabaly lower tier (And not fighting gods/archangels/etc :smallwink:)

Flight
You are no longer earthbound - whether by sprouting a pair of wings, riding a magical cloud, or even flying through sheer force of will.

Prerequisites

Benefits
You gain a fly speed equal to twice your base land speed with perfect maneuverability.

Special
If you possess the fast movement special quality, your fly speed from this feat increases by 20 feet.

Insightful Strike

Prerequisites

Benefits

Whenever you make a full attack (but not when you make a flurry of blows), all unarmed strikes you make are made at your full attack bonus.

Special
Umm, you took out flurry of blows, but you did not mention any other means of getting an extra attack (such as snap kick (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/snap-kick--2658/index.html)). I would put in something that takes other means out, or maybe "Whenever you make a full round attack (but not when you make a flurry of blows), all unarmed strikes you make are made at your full attack bonus. This ability does not affect extra attacks granted by feats or other benefits." Otherwise you also remove the penalty from all feats that would grant an extra attack (Snap kick (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/snap-kick--2658/index.html) gives one all -2) that most impose

AOKost
2017-08-30, 02:43 PM

Magcially Infused/Enhanced
Your arms and armor are always imbued with magic.

Prerequisites

Benefits

Any armor you wear is treated as magic armor with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four character levels you possess. Clothing counts as armor with an effective Armour Class of +0 for this purpose.

Special
The effects of this feat stacks (do not stack) with the enhancement bonus of any magic weapons, armor, or shield you use. Those items retain any special abilities they possess.

Maybe I'm missing something... You state in the Special that the effects do not stack, but the example you give "For example, a +1 flaming longsword wielded by an 8th-level fighter with this feat would be treated as a +2 flaming longsword." might indicate otherwise... Maybe say something like 'all of your natural weapons (including Unarmed Strike), as well as any weapon you wield gain an effective enhancement bonus that stacks with other enhancement bonuses (up to +5) (For example, a +1 flaming longsword wielded by an 8th-level fighter with this feat would be treated as a +2 flaming longsword. At 20th level the same sword would have a +6 flaming longsword.)

Flight

Prerequisites

Benefits

Special

I hate to say it, but maybe you should base the speed off the character's level... they gain a flight speed equal to 5 x their level, starting off with Poor maneuverability, then working their way up to Perfect every 3 or 4 levels....

Insightful Strike

Prerequisites

Benefits

Special

I would suggest modifying this to make all unarmed strike attacks (including flurry-of-blows) to be melee touch attacks, but not at your highest BAB. Changing the AC you attack is already really powerful cause it's usually drastically lower than the regular AC... That's one of the things that makes Warlocks and Avowed (Pathfinder Playtest) able tokeep up with other members of their parties (besides all the other abilities they get of course).

As a side note: Have I ever mentioned how much I love feats that improve over time? That, to me, makes them far better than normal feats that are usually pretty pathetic to begin with and far too many don't deserve the title of "Feat"... They are far more like overpowered Traits than real Feats... Power Attack is a great example of a lower level Feat that scales, and can be built off of. later on. There are a couple of great feat trees out there, but not enough (always more... MOOOOORE!!!! BWAHAHahahaha!!!! :smalltongue: )

rferries
2017-08-30, 06:42 PM
I'm curious why you chose Leadership as your measuring tool. It is known as one of the more broken feats out there (easily among the top 10 and more probably among the top 5).

Haha yes, because I was trying to weasel my way into justifying the power level of these feats. :D However if it helps, think of Enchanted as the ability to cast greater magic weapon, magic vestment, and or greater magic fang each once per day (self only); similarly Flight is the ability to cast fly (self-only) at will or possessing a magic item to that effect.

Hmm, I might split this into two feats, one for weapons and the other for armor... course I would have no problem with it in one of my campaigns... (besides that the bonus would be really high due to no capping) but most games are probabaly lower tier (And not fighting gods/archangels/etc :smallwink:)

Umm, you took out flurry of blows, but you did not mention any other means of getting an extra attack (such as snap kick (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/snap-kick--2658/index.html)). I would put in something that takes other means out, or maybe "Whenever you make a full round attack (but not when you make a flurry of blows), all unarmed strikes you make are made at your full attack bonus. This ability does not affect extra attacks granted by feats or other benefits." Otherwise you also remove the penalty from all feats that would grant an extra attack (Snap kick (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/snap-kick--2658/index.html) gives one all -2) that most impose

Yeah could be split up into 2 feats I suppose.

I'm fine with the benefits applying to extra attacks from haste etc, so long as it wasn't something the class already gets for free (you have to pay/work for the full benefits of this feat! :D). Flurry of blows is already particularly egregious for Insightful Strike in that Monks already get Improved Unarmed Strike, and the flurry gives up to 2 extra attacks.

Maybe I'm missing something... You state in the Special that the effects do not stack, but the example you give "For example, a +1 flaming longsword wielded by an 8th-level fighter with this feat would be treated as a +2 flaming longsword." might indicate otherwise... Maybe say something like 'all of your natural weapons (including Unarmed Strike), as well as any weapon you wield gain an effective enhancement bonus that stacks with other enhancement bonuses (up to +5) (For example, a +1 flaming longsword wielded by an 8th-level fighter with this feat would be treated as a +2 flaming longsword. At 20th level the same sword would have a +6 flaming longsword.)

I hate to say it, but maybe you should base the speed off the character's level... they gain a flight speed equal to 5 x their level, starting off with Poor maneuverability, then working their way up to Perfect every 3 or 4 levels....

I would suggest modifying this to make all unarmed strike attacks (including flurry-of-blows) to be melee touch attacks, but not at your highest BAB. Changing the AC you attack is already really powerful cause it's usually drastically lower than the regular AC... That's one of the things that makes Warlocks and Avowed (Pathfinder Playtest) able tokeep up with other members of their parties (besides all the other abilities they get of course).

As a side note: Have I ever mentioned how much I love feats that improve over time? That, to me, makes them far better than normal feats that are usually pretty pathetic to begin with and far too many don't deserve the title of "Feat"... They are far more like overpowered Traits than real Feats... Power Attack is a great example of a lower level Feat that scales, and can be built off of. later on. There are a couple of great feat trees out there, but not enough (always more... MOOOOORE!!!! BWAHAHahahaha!!!! :smalltongue: )

Re: bonuses

An 8th-level fighter gets a +2 enhancement bonus to his weapons from Enchanted.

If he picks up a +1 flaming longsword, the Enchanted bonus overlaps (does not stack) with the longsword's enhancement bonus - so the longsword's bonus improves to +2, not to +3. If the longsword had a +4 bonus already, he wouldn't get any benefit from Enchanted (the +2 feat bonus and +4 weapon bonus would overlap so you'd just use the +4 bonus).

Enchanted otherwise lets the weapon keep its special ability (flaming), so while he wields it the longsword is a +2 flaming longsword.

However, your idea seems fair enough too. I wrote this feat because I felt enhancement bonuses to weapons/armour are overrated (and costly for non-spellcasters!), so maybe I'll upgrade it as you say.

Re: Flight - yeah I've considered your version in the past (was even considering a feat chain!), but I think it's simpler and balanced this way. You're basically spending a feat to gain a single spell that wizards/sorcerers have at around 6th level (fly).

Yeah the touch AC was the whole point. :) The full BAB is more balanced than letting flurry of blows get the touch attacks because it's assumed the touch attacks will hit anyways (full BAB or not); if flurry of blows gets touch attacks that's up to 2 additional auto-hitting strikes even if they're only made at BAB +5.