PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How should my Lawfully Neutral Dragonborn handle their Minotaur eating the dead?

Eshfyre
2017-08-30, 01:57 AM
I play a Lawfully Neutral Dragonborn Wizard in our weekly Dungeons and Dragons game. At of last session, my character discovered that our Minotaur Druid (for whatever reason) needs to snack on the bodies of our fallen foes order to remain functional and they need to be humanoid.

My character is careful, composed, urban-dwelling maid-turned-adventurer attempting to win the recognition her family deserves. She believes that renown is the key to returning her (and her family) from exile and back into the Nobles they once were. She believes that she is the only one who can accomplish this. That being said, she's very conscientious about her image. She understands that animals eat other dead animals in nature, but this isn't the case. She understands that bodies left out in the open will attract all kinds of animals, but she also understands the Minotaur is not an animal. My Minotaur friend is well aware of what they are doing and have been deliberately hiding this from us.

So how do I milk this for maximum drama?

Can I remain Lawful Neutral when I see a Minotaur eating the dead?
Should I convince the Minotaur to change their ways? Certain they can't/won't?
Should I attempt to convince the party that teaming up with the Minotaur isn't worth it?
As a low-level Wizard, is there a creative solution of creating a dead humanoid body out of thin air? Without murdering the innocent?

And finally, is it worth threatening to leave?

My party will undoubtedly oppose exiling the Minotaur from the group and will see my threat as (empty or) the better option. The only way I could imagine staying would be if the Minotaur was attempting to cure their appetite for flesh. If I stay or not challenge this at all, I believe I will be compromising my character.

What should I do?

Gurifu
2017-08-30, 02:49 AM
Alignment doesn't matter much to me, but if you're thinking about forcing a party schism over it, you obviously think it's incompatible with your character's beliefs about what's acceptable and what isn't. Why is it unacceptable? Because it's wrong? Because it's illegal? Because it's unnatural? Because it'll reflect badly on you? The answer may suggest a solution.

Consider the possibility of resolving the problem by trial-by-combat. He wins, you leave or deal. You win, he leaves or stops.

Remember that you control your character, not the other way around. 'How my character would act' is ultimately up to you, not your character concept, and certainly not the alignment you wrote on the top of your character sheet before you started playing. Same thing with him and his character. Talk to the player, figure out a way to make the conflict enjoyable for all, and be willing to entertain ways forward that require you to bend your character a little bit. Conflict is good and party schism is sometimes fun, but what matters is that your in-character conflict improves the table experience, rather than turning into out-of-character hurt feelings.

I am terrible at this so I speak from my own experience as the person who didn't take that good advice I just said. ;)

Malifice
2017-08-30, 03:08 AM
Engage in global genocide of the entire Minotaur race. Crucify the bulls as a warning to the others. Sell the calves into slavery. Make comfort women out of the cows. Toss the weak and invalid on the pyre as they scream. Raze their villiages. Brutally torture them for information as to where any mewling refugees are hiding, so you can slaughter them as well.

No mercy. No pity. No remorse.

If its for 'the greater good', and your PC genuinely thinks they're doing the right thing, you're obviously good aligned.

Oh wait: I thought you said my 'Lawful Good' dragonborn. I see you're actually LN.

In that case you can do exactly the same thing as LN, but just make sure its not for the greater good (otherwise your DM might try and force an alignment change on you to good). Contrive a different reason. For example; remind the DM that cannabilism is a capital offence, and you're only following the law without fear or favor. That should do it.

If you're LE, again do exactly the same thing. Just contrive a different reason (or no reason at all). For example claim youre only doing it for fun and because you're a tyrant who really doesnt like Minotaurs.

Unoriginal
2017-08-30, 03:31 AM
Does the Minotaur Druid kills people specifically to eat them, or does he just happen to eat people who dies fighting? Is it something he must do or?

I'm not really sure why your Dragonborn objects to him doing that. Does she find it abhorrent? Does she think it'll hurt her reputation?

Also, which kind of Minotaurs are we talking about? Because the one from the MM are utterly malevolent beings one step away from fiends who are created by a Demon Lord either by tricking people or out of fanatic worshipers.

dgnslyr
2017-08-30, 04:39 AM
Why exactly do you need to "milk this for maximum drama?" The meta-plot of D&D is that it's a collaborative experience. The game involves people sitting at a table and it should be played to include all the people sitting at the table and not remove people from the table.

I don't think you even need an alignment justification to be upset about this one. It's gross by association at least, since typically only wild animals and the worst of monsters eat the corpses of sapient humanoids. Every culture has their own burial rites, and almost none of them involve being eaten by a social outsider. Really, the question should be why wouldn't someone find it weird and kind of gross.

As for what to do, how about nothing? You can find your own in-character reason why it bothers you, you can tell your minotaur druid as much, and you can ask if it's really necessary, or if it's possible to find an alternative, or if they can keep things discreet. But you don't have to actually do anything - a person can tolerate a thing they dislike. After all, from a strictly rational point of view, you can at least admit it's not hurting anybody living, assuming the bodies came from people who died in "fair play," and in the short run it's acceptable to let the dead suffer for the sake of the living.

From a metagaming point of view, sometimes your character needs to bend a bit for the sake of the party and the game. You don't need to bend over backwards for anybody, but ideally everybody should be meeting in the middle so everyone can have their piece of fun.

Vingelot
2017-08-30, 07:35 AM
If you're LE, again do exactly the same thing. Just contrive a different reason (or no reason at all). For example claim youre only doing it for fun and because you're a tyrant who really doesnt like Minotaurs.

No reason at all would be rather chaotic, wouldn't it? Lawfuls always need a reason! Always. I'd claim to do it because the druid was doing it in order to gain strength to do good things afterward. There you go.

lordarkness
2017-08-30, 08:49 AM
LN follows law and order but it doesn't say what law. It could be some internal code, an obsessive-compulsive disorder, or an external rule set such as the edicts of her order or the law of the land. In any event you haven't been clear on what rules guide this character and why they conflict. Once you determine that then you can fill in the blanks.

A LN character doesn't have to be opposed to this behavior but I agree with the previous poster in that they always have a reason for what they do.

You can just quietly undermine the minotaurs efforts to procure corpses at every turn without overtly raising hell for the whole party but depending on your characters "law" you can choose to report their behavior to the authorities (quietly or not), defend the victims (if the minotaur is killing them to eat), or even direct your energies at finding an alternative for the beast.

If the image of nobility is the only true law that your character follows then simply distancing yourself from their actions could suffice. You are a noble and their behavior is simply proof of your superiority. No conflict required.

Unoriginal
2017-08-30, 09:28 AM
I don't think you even need an alignment justification to be upset about this one. It's gross by association at least, since typically only wild animals and the worst of monsters eat the corpses of sapient humanoids. Every culture has their own burial rites, and almost none of them involve being eaten by a social outsider. Really, the question should be why wouldn't someone find it weird and kind of gross.

While I agree it doesn't have to be milked for maximum drama, but what I quoted isn't really accurate. Good dragons eat sapient humanoids, generally, as do Lizardfolks and other beings who can be good or neutral.

Geddy2112
2017-08-30, 09:35 AM
I am going to second almost all of what was said above.

I play a Lawfully Neutral Dragonborn Wizard in our weekly Dungeons and Dragons game. At of last session, my character discovered that our Minotaur Druid (for whatever reason) needs to snack on the bodies of our fallen foes order to remain functional and they need to be humanoid.
I kid you not, I have been in almost this exact same situation. I was a lawful good paladin, and instead of a minotaur it was some kind of homebrew manbearpig, but I remember recoiling in horror as manbearpig went to town eating downed enemies after the first combat we were in together.

My character is careful, composed, urban-dwelling maid-turned-adventurer attempting to win the recognition her family deserves. She believes that renown is the key to returning her (and her family) from exile and back into the Nobles they once were. She believes that she is the only one who can accomplish this. That being said, she's very conscientious about her image. She understands that animals eat other dead animals in nature, but this isn't the case. She understands that bodies left out in the open will attract all kinds of animals, but she also understands the Minotaur is not an animal. My Minotaur friend is well aware of what they are doing and have been deliberately hiding this from us.

Two good points here-your character cares about self image, and does not want to be associated with such ghastly things. I respect the minotaur for excusing themselves from the room to practice such ghastly things. You have every right to disapprove and find the practice utterly appalling.

So how do I milk this for maximum drama? Trust me, you don't want to do this unless your group thrives on this kind of drama(I have never seen or heard of one that does)

Can I remain Lawful Neutral when I see a Minotaur eating the dead? Yes, the actions others take should not influence your alignment, and nothing about eating the dead is inherently aligned. Depending on circumstances, eating of the sentient dead can be almost any alignment. Eating a small piece of the departed as funeral rites could very well be lawful good, while a donner party situation would be closer to true neutral. You can go chaotic evil with a Jeffery Dhamer situation, but the minotaur does not seem to be doing so.

Should I convince the Minotaur to change their ways? Certain they can't/won't?Should I attempt to convince the party that teaming up with the Minotaur isn't worth it?
As a low-level Wizard, is there a creative solution of creating a dead humanoid body out of thin air? Without murdering the innocent?
And finally, is it worth threatening to leave? Indeed you can, and maybe should. Heck, you can play this up as full noblesse obliege and even pity the poor savage creature for not knowing better. Heck, you might have it wearing pants and drinking tea in a fortnight. If you want to go ham you can engage full lawful snooty and educate the savage, although this could lead to serious drama at the table if done incorrectly.

You can and probably should express your displeasure about your party member's savagery, and perhaps others might agree. However, I don't think you should give them the boot as you can probably find a greater cause you need to work together for. "Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows" after all.

Now, if they are killing innocent people to eat them, that is an openly hostile act as it puts the entire party in jepoardy. Not only does such a rampaging murderhobo monster need to be booted from the group, but they are a liability to any civilized parts of the world. At that point, such a direct attack on the party and sociopathic behavior is basically starting PvP, and you have every right to fight back. So far as I understand, the minotaur only eats enemies you have to fight. If they are not, they are openly attacking your character and the rest of the party. Unless they are all murderhobos, in which case you are the odd man out.

My party will undoubtedly oppose exiling the Minotaur from the group and will see my threat as (empty or) the better option. The only way I could imagine staying would be if the Minotaur was attempting to cure their appetite for flesh. If I stay or not challenge this at all, I believe I will be compromising my character.What should I do? I can see that they would, if nothing else than for metagame reasons to keep the player from rolling a new character. Thusfar, the minotaur character has been respecting yours by trying to hide their hunger for flesh, so I would like to think they are trying to respect your character concept. If they were some CN(lying about CE) prick murderhobo lawbreaker constantly flaunting their exploits that cause run ins with town guards and other crap, then sure that is a direct attack. I think it would be better to at least try to work with their character in game(and discuss it out of game).

Last, here is a super relevant article about choosing to respond differently, written by the giant himself. (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html)

ZorroGames
2017-08-30, 09:53 AM
How about a restrained but "upset character" discussion IC and stategizing how to play this for RP OC?

Maybe if it is ritualistic, you set aside a designated time/place outside you view to allow the Minotaur to follow the culture without ruining you character's meals.

Unless your character is an open vegetarian expect pushback from the minotaur. "You don't even kill your meat! You buy it from a murderer (butcher) and what honor is there in that?"

Most important have a pre-game OOC brain storm session with the Minotaur character to see how to make this a game boosting event.

A lot depends on context and how much the players/DM want to make this cultural disconnect part if the game fun.

ZorroGames
2017-08-30, 10:04 AM
Example: my LN Mountain Dwarf Monk lied, "I am a vegetarian," (well he was for that meal when offered stew with an eyeball floating in it from a Green (?) Hag in one adventure.

He detests having to lie but rather than antagonize the potential enemy NPC he did. Combat in her piece of the hostile wilds seemed to be foolish but he was not sure what the "meat stew" contained. Our mission was to find the fools who violated the existing human-elf treaty by entering the elven woods, prevent a war, and get out alive with any survivors. Fighting a Hag at second level in her lair was not on that list. Refusing to eat without a good reason was not helpful shall we say? So he remembered meatless fasting in training and decided a short revival of that practice was less wrong than her killing us and/or the prisoners.

Safety Sword
2017-08-30, 09:55 PM
... My Minotaur friend is well aware of what they are doing and have been deliberately hiding this from us.

Firstly: :smallamused:

Secondly. Milking the minotaur is probably not the way to go.

Thirdly: If the minotaur actually has to eat fallen foes to survive, then you have to deal with that. Since it's only your image you're worried about and it's his survival, I think you're the one who is going to need to adjust. If it's a curse or something, perhaps an adventure to find the cure is in order?

Kane0
2017-08-30, 10:09 PM
I'd insist that the act mist be done in the most civilised, ritualistic manner possible.
The minotaur requires the flesh to survive and you need to keep your image as clean as possible. Take a cue from whatever is appropriate for your cultures and demand that if it must be done, it must be done properly.

Bonus points if 'properly' means inconvenient without impacting the flow of play.

djreynolds
2017-08-31, 12:49 AM
A minotaur is part bull/cow.... does that mean they taste like steak?

I do not see this as a problem.

1. They are fallen foes.... they are dead already

2. You're party previously killed them, I pretty sure murder/killing is worse

3. This is your DMs problem and your parties.

Perhaps there is a curse on the minotaur or something like this.
Try to find out why this druid has to eat fallen foes and why he is hiding this from the party?
Obviously he knows its considered wrong or not normally accepted if he is hiding this.
He's a druid, he could hunt food. So its something more probably

StoicLeaf
2017-08-31, 02:16 AM
Step 1: decide why this bothers your character.
Step 2: When you finally catch that dirty cowbeast feasting upon your fallen foes, RP the disgust and surprise and find out why they are doing that. The reasons you provide up there are flimsy, I think the minotaur player is just trying to be edgy. Keep pushing for an explanation!
Step 3: RP the conflict with your clearly defined sides!

Alt Step 1: find a different group to play with. If their go to reaction when confronted with having to pick between a paladin and a crazed, cannibalistic minotaur is the latter, then they're either not playing the sort of game you'd like or they're metaing the **** out of the situation and not RPing (which is something you want to do).

hamishspence
2017-08-31, 06:44 AM
While I agree it doesn't have to be milked for maximum drama, but what I quoted isn't really accurate. Good dragons eat sapient humanoids, generally, as do Lizardfolks and other beings who can be good or neutral.

In 4E (where Metallic Dragons are Neutral on average) there tends to be some variance. Some (silvers - noted as being one of the most noble and altruistic variants) have a strong dislike of eating even Evil-aligned humanoids.

Others, more "animalistic", and more commonly Evil (iron dragons for example) are much more likely to eat humanoids that they slay.

Unoriginal
2017-08-31, 07:54 AM
In 4E (where Metallic Dragons are Neutral on average) there tends to be some variance. Some (silvers - noted as being one of the most noble and altruistic variants) have a strong dislike of eating even Evil-aligned humanoids.

Others, more "animalistic", and more commonly Evil (iron dragons for example) are much more likely to eat humanoids that they slay.

Well, 4e is a different interpretation of D&D. Same way that we couldn't use the 3.X Draconomicon to describe 5e's dragons.

Finieous
2017-08-31, 08:36 AM

Yuk, yuk.

How does the minotaur feel when you eat a steak? :smallbiggrin:

Sir cryosin
2017-08-31, 08:47 AM
Is the minator player eating in front of the party. Or is it trying to hide it act. Also what is the minator readonly to eat dead body's. Is it a religious thing, a cultural thing, or just the nourishment.

I'm not a lawyer but there were a time and still might me legal to consume human flesh.
There were many cultures that believed that consuming a fallen warriors heart would grant you power. There was a resent report coming from Romania that a guy died and later that week villagers had nightmares of the dead guy attacking them and drinking there blood. Soon after these nightmares people fell ill. So a group of villagers went to the dead man's grave dug it up and removed his heart and used it to make a potion. Then had the sick people drink it. They soon got better.

If we are to talk about fantasy let me throw some elder scrolls lore on you. The Bosmer (wood elf) of the Valenwood under the green pact. Part of the Green Pact is the Meat Mandate that dictates that a fallen enemy must be eaten completely before three days pass.

My point is there are all kinds of cultural or religious practices involving dead body's and not all of them are malicious in nature or thought.

My advice is if your character hasn't in game seen the Minot Aura eat a corpse then leave it be. If you character has seen this action they ask why they consume flesh and let them know how you feel and how it can hurt your reputation.

warmachine
2017-08-31, 08:48 AM
As others have said, D&D is a collaborative game and breaking up the party probably won't be appreciated. Alignment is not a set of values or beliefs but it does suggest belief in rituals and societal expectations. A character who thinks she's really a noblewoman probably considers noblesse oblige. If you want drama, try something like

"Everyone is entitled to a proper burial to aid their journey to the afterlife, including our enemies, and we don't ignore that just because we're hungry. Reveal why you must eat the flesh of humanoids and not livestock like the rest of us!"

This is dangerously confrontational but I suspect your friend made up the humanoid eating with no in-game justification. If there really is an in-game reason or the player is really attached to the idea, your reaction depends on how much you care about artistic integrity compared to group feelings. A noblewoman (even a wannabe) expects respect and can't back down from social obligations as that would undermine the basis of her position. She would try to convince others to evict the Minotaur as a monster.

But that's only what I think your character's values are. Your character, your game, your rules.

Edit: always check for missing 'not'.

Maxilian
2017-08-31, 10:22 AM
You could be outraged at the minotaur for been such a gruesome beast!

COOK IT FIRST!

*Snatch the leg of the bandit*

Let me teach you how to cook, you beast!

*Put let together with a couple of eyes and a half hand in a cauldron*

Grim Portent
2017-08-31, 11:01 AM

COOK IT FIRST!

I'd go with this kind of angle myself, don't be outraged at eating people (after all, they were just bandits and other ne'er-do-wells) be offended at the lack of proper tablemanners.

Insist the minotaur cook the flesh properly into a meal, carry a small portable table with tabletop cloth and cutlery and eat according to proper dining conventions.

SpoonR
2017-08-31, 11:58 AM

COOK IT FIRST!

I suspect Digo would approve of this solution. :smallsmile: Researching "Summon body of dead humanoid" is also a cool idea.

But really, go back to 'what ingame law is this breaking?' If druid religion/culture requires eating dead, why are you imposing your imperialist cityfolk ways (slightly joking, but differences in cultural taboos is not unusual).

Once that is figured out, if it is still a problem then you go to smallscale. You were/are adventuring with this minotaur right? Does he serve a purpose in the party (like presenting a large wall between sword and wizard?) If he's a friend/ally/bodyguard then you can make an exception for just this buddy.

Reminds me of the Dark Suns 'introduction text' party. Civilized people... and one poison-blooded Wookie. Who collects ears from every dead enemy and wears them. Sees no reason to change. I think they ended up with a 'wear them inside your clothes while in town, and don't freak the locals' type of arrangement.

War_lord
2017-08-31, 12:53 PM
If the Minotaurs of this setting need to eat the flesh of humanoids to live, I can't see your character reasonably objecting to said habit if the victims are A. dead and B. Brigands. If the Minotaur is just a sick F**K, because the player wants to be an edgelord, it's fine to have your character object, but not to the point it disrupts the game. Having your character leave the party without warning is impolite, because then they're functionally dead, you need to roll up a new character, and the DM has to work out how to integrate the new party member into the game. Demanding someone else have their character kicked out of the party is likely to go down even worse, because you're essentially committing PvP.

Ideally, everyone in the game would have compared their character to the rest of the party in the creation stage in order to either avoid conflict, or come to an OOC agreement to integrate those clashes into the party dynamic. Unfortunately from everything I've seen and experienced a lot of casual players exhibit extremely poor emotional maturity, so we get situations like this. Lizardfolk will eat the dead, because they don't have any cultural concept of the corpse as anything other then meat. But Lizardfolk do understand that useful humanoids (their party) are almost universally disgusted by the consumption of humanoids and thus it's best to abstain from doing so when unnecessary.

Talk to your DM and the player in question about the intentions behind this character trait, see how much they're willing to compromise on it, and then go from there.

Beelzebubba
2017-09-01, 02:11 AM
Talk to the other player.

Strategize how to make it a fun interaction together. Figure out how you can make the characters have a simmering conflict that becomes FUN for everyone involved, while allowing the characters to co-exist.

Malifice
2017-09-01, 03:32 AM
Seriously?

No-one is gonna call me out for my post above? Genocide, torture, child slavery, murder and rape are 'lawful good'?

Can't say I'm surprised.

warmachine
2017-09-01, 03:50 AM
Seriously?

No-one is gonna call me out for my post above? Genocide, torture, child slavery, murder and rape are 'lawful good'?

Can't say I'm surprised.
Sarcasm and parody are normally indistinguishable from sincere lunacy but your post was too well written for sincere lunacy. I'd join in the parody fun but I don't have a sense of humour.

Unoriginal
2017-09-01, 04:51 AM
Seriously?

Can't say I'm surprised.

You're well-known to have an opinion on the question that is basically the antithesis of what your post talked about. I saw no reason to respond to an oblivious ironic post.

Kane0
2017-09-01, 04:54 AM
I've learned to tune out 'Malifice' and 'alignment' in the same thread.

I also don't rely on blue for sarcasm.

JackPhoenix
2017-09-01, 04:57 AM
Seriously?

Can't say I'm surprised.

You're surprised people ignore obvious trolling?

War_lord
2017-09-01, 10:32 AM
I don't answer obvious flamebait. Even if the person does mean to be taken seriously, it's rarely the lead in to a productive discussion.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-01, 10:58 AM
So how do I milk this for maximum drama? By first determining, OOC, in a discussion with the other players that doing so won't annoy them. If the druid had a pet dog, the pet dog would likely eat some fallen foes. Is that a problem for you also?

Can I remain Lawful Neutral when I see a Minotaur eating the dead? Yes, just as you can remain Lawful Neutral when you kill other living beings in the course of your adventures. Your alignment has nothing to do with this.
Should I convince the Minotaur to change their ways? Certain they can't/won't? Why? Do you know why the Minotaur does this? Have you had a character-to-character interaction to address this?
Should I attempt to convince the party that teaming up with the Minotaur isn't worth it? Why are you thinking about creating a split in the party? Does the player who is running the Minotaur piss you off for some reason?
As a low-level Wizard, is there a creative solution of creating a dead humanoid body out of thin air? Do you own the PHB? It has a spell list. At low lever, there are only so many spells to choose from.
Without murdering the innocent? How are your fallen enemies innocent? Your party already killed them. Is your party on a genocidal rampage, the garden variety collection of murder hobos, or do you have a purpose/mission that you are trying to achieve? What's the story so far that your party is involved in?

And finally, is it worth threatening to leave? The party? No, unless the other players have already annoyed you to the extent that you don't want to play with them anymore.
What should I do? Stop falling for My Guy Syndrome.
Why exactly do you need to "milk this for maximum drama?" The meta-plot of D&D is that it's a collaborative experience. The game involves people sitting at a table and it should be played to include all the people sitting at the table and not remove people from the table. This.
How about a restrained but "upset character" discussion IC and stategizing how to play this for RP OC? Maybe if it is ritualistic, you set aside a designated time/place outside you view to allow the Minotaur to follow the culture without ruining you character's meals. Unless your character is an open vegetarian expect pushback from the minotaur. "You don't even kill your meat! You buy it from a murderer (butcher) and what honor is there in that?"
A lot depends on context and how much the players/DM want to make this cultural disconnect part if the game fun. Yeah, this too.

If the Minotaurs of this setting need to eat the flesh of humanoids to live, I can't see your character reasonably objecting to said habit if the victims are A. dead and B. Brigands. If the Minotaur is just a sick F**K, because the player wants to be an edgelord, it's fine to have your character object, but not to the point it disrupts the game.

Talk to your DM and the player in question about the intentions behind this character trait, see how much they're willing to compromise on it, and then go from there. This too.

Seriously? No-one is gonna call me out for my post above? Genocide, torture, child slavery, murder and rape are 'lawful good'? Can't say I'm surprised. Between your tongue being thrust through your cheek, and the obvious troll bait, what's to respond to? I actually got a chuckle out of the attempt.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-01, 11:13 AM
I play a Lawfully Neutral Dragonborn Wizard in our weekly Dungeons and Dragons game. At of last session, my character discovered that our Minotaur Druid (for whatever reason) needs to snack on the bodies of our fallen foes order to remain functional and they need to be humanoid.... snip...What should I do?

There are lots of ways to play Lawful Neutral. I can easily see a Captain Picard like LN character that would never judge another's culture as long as that culture is not harming anyone else.

The way I see it, eating the already dead is not harming anyone else. Murdering to eat the dead certainly would be. Stealing corpses from their communities or families to eat the dead certainly would be. Is that the part that bothers the Lawfulness of your character? That the corpses belong to some other person still living?

*A couple of side notes. If a Minotaur is eating Non-Minotaur is it cannibalism? Also, I think in my campaign Minotaur would be herbivores due to having cow heads and all.

Unoriginal
2017-09-01, 11:38 AM
There are lots of ways to play Lawful Neutral. I can easily see a Captain Picard like LN character that would never judge another's culture as long as that culture is not harming anyone else.

Actually Picard was often judgmental of others' cultures, especially when they conflicted with the Federation's ideals. Sometime he had a good point (like when he discussed the dire consequences of the effects Cardassian culture on their children) while in other times it was just him being a jerk.

The way I see it, eating the already dead is not harming anyone else. Murdering to eat the dead certainly would be. Stealing corpses from their communities or families to eat the dead certainly would be. Is that the part that bothers the Lawfulness of your character? That the corpses belong to some other person still living?

Well put, but to be fair many cultures have taboos concerning dead bodies. On the other hand, I doubt OP's party was going to give last rites or even bury their enemies, so letting them in the open for animals to eat isn't really different from having a teammate eat them.

*A couple of side notes. If a Minotaur is eating Non-Minotaur is it cannibalism? Also, I think in my campaign Minotaur would be herbivores due to having cow heads and all.

It wouldn't be cannibalism, but still eating sapient species. And while Minotaurs have cow heads, the mythological one was anthropophage (which was the main problem with him being around) and the ones in the MM are created by a demon.

ZorroGames
2017-09-01, 07:57 PM
Seriously?

Can't say I'm surprised.

Sorry, I have you on block. Missed that!

But then I would have to care about trollbait.