PDA

View Full Version : How much do you customize the creatures in your world?

Elkad
2017-08-30, 10:05 AM
Nevermind all the class/spell fixes, or tacking class levels onto boss monsters, I'm talking about rewrites to base creatures, changing physics, etc.

A few examples.

Take the standard Ghoul. I don't like their 3.5 stats, so I changed them to my liking. Less brains. More speed and toughness. A rude cunning for Ambush and Swarm tactics, but you can definitely fool them.
They'll jump into fights they can't win, but as soon as one player is disabled, they'll be running away from the rest of the party with his body.

So my Ghouls are Int6,Wis6,Cha8. But they have DR10/silver, move 50', and excellent hide, MS, jump, and climb.
Ghasts get better mental stats, but still not the 13,14,12 that standard ones do.

My players know this (and the new ones get info with appropriate Know: checks, with the basic "It might be a ghoul, you need a silver weapon!" being DC10 so anyone can attempt it untrained)

Falling. Everything taking the same damage offended me. A mouse can fall miles and be fine. An elephant splashes if you drop it 50'. So size matters.
In the interest of not completely breaking short falling distances, I just changed the caps. Changing die size would probably be better.
The 20d6 limit is for medium creatures. It decreases by 5d6 per size category smaller (no damage at Fine becomes 1d6 instead), and increases by 5d6 per size category larger.

Almost all my DRs are higher. Usually at least double, sometimes much more. DR20/silver on a natural lycanthrope, and regenerates all but silver & fire damage.

Complete immunity to an effect is generally just a massive bonus to your check, and you always get a check, even if it's Trained-Only or No Save.
Just like Invisibility gives you +20 to hide, Freedom of Movement gives you CL+20 to Escape Artist/Grapple instead of just making you immune. Trackless Step raises the DC to track you by relevantclasslevel+20.

TotallyNotEvil
2017-08-30, 11:28 AM
I usually round up ability scores. A Minotaurs, for example, just irks me terribly with it's 19 Strenght and 15 CON.

Feats are always reworked, no default Altertness and Toughness. On higher HD critters, that's usually quite a difference.

Average person is level 3 or so.

Crake
2017-08-30, 12:47 PM
I usually round up ability scores. A Minotaurs, for example, just irks me terribly with it's 19 Strenght and 15 CON.

Feats are always reworked, no default Altertness and Toughness. On higher HD critters, that's usually quite a difference.

Average person is level 3 or so.

Those odd stats are like that because the npc array is 11, 11, 11, 10, 10. It's meant to be +0 base across the board, but give you the chance to improve an ability score important to the character at 4HD.

I'll usually apply the npc array (that's 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) to monsters if they've got a reason to have particular abilities high and others low, like worgs trained by goblins. I'm also likewise happy to change feats up, but I don't do things like adding DR to a monster that certainly doesn't need it. If you're gonna give it DR10/silver you should at least up it's CR to match, likewise if you're doubling the DR. DR20 may as well say "immune to nonsilver weapon attacks" unless you literally have nothing but ubercharger barbarians in your game. I don't really see the point in doubling the DR, all that means is you've either got the right weapon and game goes on as normal, or the monster is practically untouchable by the mundanes, but the casters can still function as normal. Seems like a pointless nerf to mundanes.

Eldariel
2017-08-30, 01:03 PM
Those odd stats are like that because the npc array is 11, 11, 11, 10, 10. It's meant to be +0 base across the board, but give you the chance to improve an ability score important to the character at 4HD.

I'll usually apply the npc array (that's 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) to monsters if they've got a reason to have particular abilities high and others low, like worgs trained by goblins. I'm also likewise happy to change feats up, but I don't do things like adding DR to a monster that certainly doesn't need it. If you're gonna give it DR10/silver you should at least up it's CR to match, likewise if you're doubling the DR. DR20 may as well say "immune to nonsilver weapon attacks" unless you literally have nothing but ubercharger barbarians in your game. I don't really see the point in doubling the DR, all that means is you've either got the right weapon and game goes on as normal, or the monster is practically untouchable by the mundanes, but the casters can still function as normal. Seems like a pointless nerf to mundanes.

Eh, any two-hander can punch through DR 20 to a degree and higher up, it doesn't really slow you down too much unless the target also has high AC to counteract Power Attack. Even then, ToB classes in particular shine at fighting against DR and indeed, chargers of course blow through any amount of DR so those shouldn't even be considered (even a core Charger Non-Str Bonus Fighter 2/Barbarian 1 with just Mounted Spirited Charge and Power Attack can hit for like 3d8 + 27 + 18 on level 3 at +9 to hit, +1 more for higher ground). That said, I don't think OP actually relies on CR; any experienced GM can eyeball the challenge an enemy possesses and DM using ecologies passes the responsibility of what they encounter onto the PCs, their scouting and information gathering anyways. And similarly, how much XP each encounter is for given the party. Indeed, I'd say CR should be treated as a beginner GM's aid since it's so party-, enemy- and circumstance dependent.

A level 1 Wizard has a reasonable (say, 50/50 for a basic Core Wizard - 90%+ for an Abrupt Jaunt Wizard with 20 Int) chance of beating a vanilla Ogre 1v1 even though for a single level 1 character that's supposed to be an overpowering encounter (the Ogre's chance is in throwing that Javelin and hitting before the Wizard gets his spell off, the viability of which depends heavily on the environment and the encounter range - however, with Brutal Throw its potential goes through the roof, but given how poor Ogres are at ranged combat otherwise, is probably poorly spent). This is just the fact that Wizard can attack the target's Will-save (and will usually do so), which just so happens to be weak, instead of trying to blow through its HP. And the fact that Wizard is just plain great at rocket launcher tag.

EDIT: Brutal Throw, not Power Throw.

Zanos
2017-08-30, 02:50 PM
DR 20 isn't trivial for any but the most optimized damage dealers. A maximum strength raging orc barbarian 3 deals 24 maximum damage with a greatsword attack. If he power attacks, his maximum damage is still only 30, and average is only 5 against DR 20. So yeah, DR 20/Silver is pretty close to "go home if you don't have silver" for most level 3 characters. Which can be fine, actually, depending on what thematic niche you want that monster to occupy in your setting. But even DR 10/magic or DR 10/silver is sufficient to make a creature more or less immune to common soldiers.

Complete immunity to an effect is generally just a massive bonus to your check, and you always get a check, even if it's Trained-Only or No Save.
Just like Invisibility gives you +20 to hide, Freedom of Movement gives you CL+20 to Escape Artist/Grapple instead of just making you immune. Trackless Step raises the DC to track you by relevantclasslevel+20.
Honestly that kind of makes FoM useless. Most characters that want it have pretty much no chance of escaping from a grappling monster, even with a +20. The difference in bonus is massive.

Also, invisibility always gives you total concealment, even if someone can make a skill check to figure out what square you're in.

Elkad
2017-08-30, 09:23 PM
DR 20 isn't trivial for any but the most optimized damage dealers. A maximum strength raging orc barbarian 3 deals 24 maximum damage with a greatsword attack. If he power attacks, his maximum damage is still only 30, and average is only 5 against DR 20. So yeah, DR 20/Silver is pretty close to "go home if you don't have silver" for most level 3 characters. Which can be fine, actually, depending on what thematic niche you want that monster to occupy in your setting. But even DR 10/magic or DR 10/silver is sufficient to make a creature more or less immune to common soldiers.

That's the point. Sure, you can try to solve the encounter with "duh, hit it harder", but putting down your greatsword and pulling out a silver dagger for 1d4+7 is actually the better option. Or throw some holy water or flaming oil. Or a net. Or get it to chase you into a small room, run out and seal the door. Or occupy it with a shield and Combat Expertise, TotalDefense or lots of Trip attempts while you wait for your friend to roll a big crit.

Honestly that kind of makes FoM useless. Most characters that want it have pretty much no chance of escaping from a grappling monster, even with a +20. The difference in bonus is massive.

Also, invisibility always gives you total concealment, even if someone can make a skill check to figure out what square you're in.

Wizard7 with FoM, 8 Str, 14 Dex, vs CR10 Fire Giant. Wizard gets +3,-1,+27=+29, Fire Giant is at +25. Wizard has a small edge, but if he loses he can use Escape Artist at +32 on his turn, a clear advantage. It just may cost him an action instead of Noping the whole thing.

Vs Huge creatures it's more of a 50/50 shot. Vs a Gargantuan Scorpion (+37) he should probably worry (or cast Grease on himself). His +29 means he's likely to lose the initial roll, and even the Escape Artist check on following rounds isn't good.
He'll still walk out of Entangle, Web, Solid Fog and Slow.

Invisibility is 50/50 miss chance. This (vs CR appropriate grapplers) is about the same, and better vs stuff that's poor at grappling (or that Goblin Swarm)

I actually used NonDetection as my model initially (CL+15), and added on another 5 points after a couple sessions.

Nifft
2017-08-30, 10:38 PM
I usually re-write the spawn-creation physics for undead.

For example, the humble Shadow does not create more Shadows.

Rather, a shadow-tainted Ghost might create Shadows, or a Nightshade, or a Wraith.

A unique Dread Wraith might create Wraiths.

Ghasts can create Ghouls; Ghouls just eat you (and don't create anything).

Vampires are already a little bit like this: they create Vampire Spawn.

rel
2017-08-31, 12:13 AM
I have changed feats around in the past but that's about it. In general I used MM entries as is.

I'm currently trying a game with very low magic (no number boosting items, crafting or clerics) and writing custom monsters and traps to match the new power level of the party. Not sure how that will go.

Inchhighguy
2017-08-31, 06:20 PM
A lot.

I really like to custom make stuff. I like creatures to be a bit ''beyond the book''.

I like the idea that, say the Ghouls of the Dark Desert can cast darkness or the red orcs can breathe fire.