PDA

View Full Version : Sorcadin Backgrounds?

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-30, 11:43 AM
I'm building a half-elven Sorcadin for a game my brother is running, using this fabulous guide here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass).

What I'm debating is what background to use for him. His basic story is that he's the product of an affair his human mom had with an elf. Despite this, his mom's human husband, a powerful general in the imperial court (modeled heavily on Belisarius (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius)) accepted him into his family as a son, and raised him as his own. After growing up in his "father's" shadow and being raised as an honorable servant of the Empire, he joined his "father" on an expedition to reclaim the lost imperial territory of the North that has since fractured into feudal and tribal states.

The campaign will begin with me being given my first command in the army, with the other PCs as a ragtag auxiliary force I've been put in charge of, when things go pear-shaped for the Empire, I lose my "dad" and find out I inherited some dragon blood from my real elven dad, which manifests as sorcerer magic, meaning I'm now a criminal by imperial law as magic-users are supposed to be locked up or kept on leashes for the safety of others.

What'd be a good background to take? I'm leaning towards Courtier or Far Traveller, since those give me skills good for negotiation and intrigue. Courtier could reflect my understanding of imperial bureaucracy and the army's chain of command, while Far Traveller's "All Eyes on Me" could reflect my status as a foreigner, since I've come from the heart of the Empire to the frontier lands that don't acknowledge its authority anymore.

Are there other backgrounds that would work well? I'm hesitant to use Noble as my privilege was limited. My "dad" may have accepted me but that didn't mean the rest of the court had to. Arcana may be important for the spellcasting I'll eventually do, but I don't know if I get that from multiclassing into Sorcerer or not.

Corran
2017-08-30, 03:59 PM
You are going to be on the run from the Empire, after they find out you are a magic user. If intending to play a good aligned character, I would suggest the background trait of the folk hero. You'll need people on your side, to hide and aid you when the emperor's goons will be after you. All you need to find now, is what sort of admirable deed you did that earned you this reputation among the common folk. Perhaps that deed was what eventually made your stepfather acknowledge you and take you under his wing.

Or, you could take the soldier background, to establish some relative respect among the ranks. That could make for some nice future rp opportunities, like if the soldiers who are sent to arrest you (after you have been identified as a magic user) go about it half heartidly or are even convinced to let you go, because you were their ranking officer back in the day, and they have great respect to your person.

At least that's what I would try to do. If aiming to put my character in a precarious and disadvantageous situation (being chased because of having magic), I would try to create some small safe pillows, hence my recommendation of the above background traits.

As for skills, athletics if str based, or perhaps acrobatics and even stealth if dex based (though I might just prefer athletics to acrobatics even if dex based). Then there is the ever important perception. After that, a couple of social skills that reflect your character's personality. Finish up with whatever skill(s) you want or think that they would complement your group's skills (you are a halfelf, so you probably have the room for it).

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-30, 08:43 PM
Those are excellent suggestions! Thank you, Corran! :smallsmile:

I'll have to talk to my brother (he's the DM!).

Specter
2017-08-30, 09:13 PM
The easy way out: you were a member of the Order of the (Gold/Silver/Bronze) Dragon, and your devotion to good caught the eye of a good god.

Nod_Hero
2017-09-01, 06:05 PM
If SCAG material is allowed you could take 'Knight of the Order (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Knight_of_the_Order)' which gives you some soldierly options and also some military diplomat leeway depending on what your Order is all about.
Could lead to some nice roleplaying when your comrades-in-arms come to collect you, not all of them believing you to be guilty.