PDA

View Full Version : Trample

zylodrizzt
2017-08-30, 05:40 PM
So I as the rider must use a standard action to allow my mount to attack if it succeeds.

Am I uderstanding it right?

Seems underwhelming.

Do I use mounts modifiers or riders?

Necroticplague
2017-08-30, 06:00 PM
To clarify: do you mean the crappy feat, or the mediocre special attack?

zylodrizzt
2017-08-30, 06:18 PM
Feat. I could have been clearer. My apologies

Anxe
2017-08-30, 06:20 PM
Where does it say you have to use a standard action? I'm pretty sure that's part of the "Direct Warhorse in Battle" action which is a free action.

For usage, it is pretty limited. In my 10+ years of playing we've used it once in my group. Our party was surrounded and wounded. We decided escape was the best option, but being surrounded made that difficult. Strongest character used overrun to clear a path and use up the enemies attacks of opportunity and then we ran on out of there. I can't think of any other time where it's come up.

Trample is even rarer. It's only useful for low-level mounted combat which almost never comes up in the campaigns I ran and have been in.

zylodrizzt
2017-08-30, 06:27 PM
Well it may not say specifically it takes a standard action but I was just guessing since the action itself (overrun) is a standard action. I can see the argument as a free action which would be great if that's the case. I assume it's the mounts bonus then?

This brings up a new question what if the mount has no hoof attack?

Anxe
2017-08-30, 06:36 PM
Well it may not say specifically it takes a standard action but I was just guessing since the action itself (overrun) is a standard action. I can see the argument as a free action which would be great if that's the case. I assume it's the mounts bonus then?

This brings up a new question what if the mount has no hoof attack?

Yeah, it would be the mount's bonus to attack.

By RAW, it says hoof so that's all you get. If the mount has another limb attack, like claws on a griffon, I'd allow it. What are we talking here?

Necroticplague
2017-08-30, 07:11 PM
So I as the rider must use a standard action to allow my mount to attack if it succeeds.

Am I understanding it right?
Incorrect. Overrunning is something that your mount does, not you. So your mount used it's standard action (overrun) and it's move action (moving), you take no action, and the mount gets a free attack with it's hoof.

Seems underwhelming.
It is. How often does one overrun?

Do I use mounts modifiers or riders?
Why would you use your modifiers? Your mount is the one doing the overrunning, you use it's modifiers.

zylodrizzt
2017-08-30, 07:32 PM
Incorrect. Overrunning is something that your mount does, not you. So your mount used it's standard action (overrun) and it's move action (moving), you take no action, and the mount gets a free attack with it's hoof.

It is. How often does one overrun?

Why would you use your modifiers? Your mount is the one doing the overrunning, you use it's modifiers.

Just trying to be clear. To be more clear I'm talking about a trampling t rex. It seems terrifying.

Anxe
2017-08-30, 11:28 PM
Just trying to be clear. To be more clear I'm talking about a trampling t rex. It seems terrifying.

That does sound pretty terrifying.

A T-Rex can probably still do an Unarmed Strike as a Trample. For it's size it does 1d6+Str. You could also justify only adding +Half Str to the damage as the Unarmed Strike could be considered a secondary attack. More damage than that might be fun, but it's probably beyond what a T-Rex could realistically do with its feet.

zylodrizzt
2017-08-31, 07:47 AM
Boy I was tired yesterday and thanks for all the help. Just realized I didn't say what edition or anything so it's pathfinder. I decided against trample. Instead I found that it's a better choice for mounted skirmisher (I only have 5 feats due to variant multi rogue). I'm a hunter. Pack flanking (think that's right basically as long as I'm ajacent I flank) escape route, paired precision (+1d6 if flanking) outflank, distracting charge, wounded paw gambit (I know no bluff but not a huge deal) so basically I just make my dino charge getting a decent bonus to hit. Use combat expertise so that when I use wounded paw gambit I don't get hit so easy and get 5d6 per attack and 3d6 from t rex. I can charge as much as I want since I don't provoke with escape route.

On the rex end I'll have improved unarmed strike and all the kraken feats and improved greater and the one I can do it as a swift action later so my full attack looks like 3 unarmed two bites and two or more grapples a round dealing some extra damage there too with a few other options like strangle or item damage (probably don't do this often unless nonmagical I guess unless anyone else has an idea here). Think like king Kong vs a rex but wins lol.

Anyone else have diffrent ideas here?