PDA

View Full Version : Magitech Taser Ideas?

Ripptor
2017-08-30, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to make a 'humane' Magictech Taser-Like for a campaign, and my first instinct is:

A Wand-Gun consisting of: A Wand of Coersive Entangling Sonic Snap in a Fell Weakening Wand Grip.

Target in 40ft gets:

1 Sonic damage (Auto)
-2 Will penalty for 3 rounds (Auto)
Entangled for 1 round (Auto)
Deafened 1 Round (Will negates, DC 12)

And 3/day, as needed:

-4 STR penalty for 1 minute

Or, just making it a full Staff-Rifle of Fell Weakening Coersive Entangling Sonic Snap?

Target in 45ft(+) gets:

1 Sonic damage (Auto)
-2 Will penalty for 3 rounds (Auto)
-4 STR penalty for 1 minute
Entangled for 1 round (Auto)
Deafened 1 Round (Will negates, DC 13(+))

This seems humane (Only 1 Damage) yet quite crippling to an opponent:

1/2 Speed
-4 Initiative
-4 STR
-4 DEX
-2 Attack (-4 w/ those Stat penalties)
-2 Will
20% Spell Failure
Concentration(15+) to cast a spell successfully

It's still subject to Spell Resistance, and Sonic Resistance, but the latter at least should be rare.

So, how does this look? Or can we come up with anything better? :smallsmile:

zlefin
2017-08-30, 06:42 PM
That's fancier and cooler than what I'd come up with.
My only thought was a subdual substitution on some simple lightning spell; probably lesser orb of lightning.
I suppose using reach spell metamagic on shocking grasp would be most thematic; thoguh certainly not the most effective.

unseenmage
2017-08-30, 06:56 PM
In my extended sig there's a thread on combining mundane items and tech. You might get some ideas there.

As undead and constructs cannot be tazed unconcious I instead focused on delivering Tanglefoot Bags and other entangle-like effects.

Ripptor
2017-08-30, 07:16 PM
In my extended sig there's a thread on combining mundane items and tech. You might get some ideas there.

As undead and constructs cannot be tazed unconcious I instead focused on delivering Tanglefoot Bags and other entangle-like effects.

Awesome, that sounds great!

The above should work on Constructs/Undead though, right? I think it sidestepped their usual Immunities?

unseenmage
2017-08-30, 09:23 PM
Golems with Magic Immunuty will still be immune to anything allowing Spell Resistance.