PDA

View Full Version : The flying barbarian maneuver guide

Meepwizard
2017-08-30, 09:59 PM
This guide is about the "flying barbarian maneuver"(patent pending). In which the barbarian(you) utilize this guide to:
1) deal damage using the critical from assassin archetype
2) using sentinel to lock down the group of enemies you're in to prevent any from reaching the squishy casters
3) by dropping in the middle of a group and being a bear totem barbarian you can keep on living and at the same time you can keep your friends to keep being squishy in the land of the living

Barbarian X, rogue 3(assassin archetype)
fighter 2
Feats: great weapon master, sentinel
Weapon: rapier(can be used with strength)

Pros:
-Bear totem will help keep you alive because the point of this is to keep the casters unharmed and you in the melee
-sentinel prevents the enemies from trying to leave you and attack the casters; this method will help lockdown the group you're attacking, or a single opponent
-Great weapon master feat only mentions using a melee weapon to get the attack on bonus action
-advantage on just about every attack roll(rage and relentless attack)
"Special abilities"(action surge) all recharge on short rest

Cons:
-can't take advantage of the -5/+10 part of GWM(it needs a heavy weapon for this, which we can't use due to the use of a rapier, remember use Str for rapier to use the strength of a barbarian, and the rage bonus damage)
-you'll end up leaving the casters vulnerable unless there is another melee personhood

Damage:
-Two attacks from barbarian 5
-Action surge
-GWM for bonus action attack(it says on a critical it activates and assassin allows critical on surprise round
-X2 damage for critical from surprise round
-Sneak attack damage. Using rapier; can only be used on one attack :(
-Haste spell beforehand for extra attack
-Poisoning your rapier as well can help using poisoner's kit proficiency you get form the assassin archetype

Extra notes: if you know of any way to improve damage or anything else i may have missed please point it out in a respective manner so as to avoid any argument

Fighting style: take defense or dueling
Defense= more ac
Dueling=+2 to hit with a single melee weapon; you'd only be using one weapon because you can't use a second weapon without a bonus action which you're already using in surprise(remember must use nothing else, weapon or otherwise)

What you actually do:
1) set up the ambush. This amounts to getting high up(hence the flying bit)
2) get charismatic party members to be convincing enough to distract your target(s). Get them to use theive's cant that you teach them, to signal the start of the attack
3) drop,emerge, or fly into the center of the enemies(fly in view of the sun).
4) actually attack

TalksAlone
2017-08-30, 10:07 PM
Great Weapon Master does not work with a rapier. Besides, by many attacks you must realize you plateau at two, three if you dual wield, and Sneak Attack doesn't offer more damage aside from the first Attack (specially if you go first with nobody there to flank and miss the first one). That being said, if you pull it off you are a truck at very high speed collision curse.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-31, 06:03 AM
Great Weapon Master does not work with a rapier. Besides, by many attacks you must realize you plateau at two, three if you dual wield, and Sneak Attack doesn't offer more damage aside from the first Attack (specially if you go first with nobody there to flank and miss the first one). That being said, if you pull it off you are a truck at very high speed collision curse.

The BA attack when you kill or crit does. Only the -5/+10 part requires Heavy weapon

Meepwizard
2017-08-31, 06:46 AM
Exactly plus the assassin archetype gives you automatic criticals and advantage, so I don't use the barbarian's advantage ability until after the surprise round. Again the point of the maneuver is to keep the enemies centered around me while everyone else is firing their spells; in addition, haste as well is fairly effective

Unoriginal
2017-08-31, 08:59 AM
How do you intend to get the surprise round?

Pichu
2017-08-31, 10:05 AM
How do you intend to get the surprise round?

I'm guessing by the name of the thread, he flies into the middle of them via Fly. Also, I like this build, as it allows for a (potential) devastating surprise round, while still maintaining a good amount of tankiness and damage.

Unoriginal
2017-08-31, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing by the name of the thread, he flies into the middle of them via [I]Fly[/I

How is that going to be sneaky? Most enemies would see or hear something that big flying toward them.

Meepwizard
2017-08-31, 07:00 PM
I had something like this in plan so when it's time. He can use rogue's expertise for stealth, he has a moderate dexterity. The casters also have access to pass without a trace. So stealth I'd think won't be that hard

He's already at barbarian 7 and will be hitting rogue 3 as soon as possible

Mellack
2017-08-31, 07:35 PM
The hard part flying is to be able to find cover. It can be rather hard to hide in the open sky.

Tanarii
2017-08-31, 07:43 PM
It's not a proper flying barbarian unless it's a dwarven battlerager.

I'm also interested in how you're going to get Surprise. There's precious little cover in the air to use to attempt an ambush.

Saeviomage
2017-08-31, 08:28 PM
It's not a proper flying barbarian unless it's a dwarven battlerager.

I'm also interested in how you're going to get Surprise. There's precious little cover in the air to use to attempt an ambush.

Come out of the sun, ambush people who the DM rules are distracted etc etc. You don't have to have cover to hide - you just need the DMs say-so.

Meepwizard
2017-08-31, 08:56 PM
The hope is that the two 20 charisma characters can be convincing for just long enough at a distance or distract them

Tanarii
2017-08-31, 09:40 PM
The hope is that the two 20 charisma characters can be convincing for just long enough at a distance or distract them
Ah. That's on your DM then.

It does sound like your high Cha members might be making a deception check to avoid giving you away / provide sufficient distraction. Otoh ... that's what their high Cha is for, right? :smallamused:

Meepwizard
2017-08-31, 09:42 PM
What else are they suppose to do? I'm basically the only melee fighter, and as such my job is to prevent them from getting squished

Ravinsild
2017-09-01, 11:39 AM
1) Do you have any spell casters 2) Does Fly and Invisibility stack? 3) Is it worth the spellcasting slots/resources to double up fly + invisibility every combat fight in addition to all the other fighty type spells expended?

Meepwizard
2017-09-01, 01:04 PM
Only haste is really used the flying part can come from climbing. A fly spell; provided by the squishy casters can help though

1 yes
2 they do, but concentration doesn't(there are three casters in the party so I don't worry)
3 are they worth it? It doesn't matter as much when the barbarian can simply intimidate them into casting the spells

Scathain
2017-09-01, 01:39 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Totemic Attunement: Eagle. At high levels you can literally make this barbarian fly. Which I find HILARIOUS.

Meepwizard
2017-09-01, 03:00 PM
This maneuver is designed to come online at as low a level as possible. It's because it takes until 14 barb for that, and this requires fighter 2 and rogue 3. So that'd take until 19.
Although yes that'd be freakin' hilarious

NecessaryWeevil
2017-09-01, 03:45 PM
How is that going to be sneaky? Most enemies would see or hear something that big flying toward them.

How are they going to hear him? He's flying with magic, not a jet engine.

I did this just a few nights ago, although I dropped from the ceiling courtesy of my Spider-Climb footwraps and I didn't have Sentinel. Assassin giving me a critical hit on top of Sneak Attack was pretty epic though.