PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars SAGA Edition GM Problem

Gwenfloor
2007-08-11, 07:37 PM
Two of my players in my SAGA Edition Game are problematic:
1.) Player 1's Destiny is to "Have Fun." That isn't really a goal, not something one aspires to. He is probably a hedonist, but his class is Soldier, which does not lend well to such pursuits.
2.) All players but Player 1 are Jedi. It is set in the Rebellion Era. I told each Jedi Player that they NEED to come up with a good reason how they evaded the Jedi Purge and Order 66. Otherwise, their is no rational explanation for how they escaped. Player 2 simply said that he blew up the Clone Troopers that were chasing him at the Jedi Temple at Coruscant, and he is obsessed with bombs. He once said, out loud, to a person the party was having a conversation with, "I have a bomb strapped to my chest." He also did not divulge anything else about his character's back story, and his destiny is "Mass Murder." He does not seem to take the game seriously, and his character's name is "Jebus."

If any of you played SAGA, then you may know of the Destiny Mechanic. The player defines a goal for his character, and he gains bonuses and penalties related to the completion of that goal.

thelonegoldfish
2007-08-11, 08:06 PM
Have book, have not read.

But shouldn't you have veto power as gm on inappropriate destinies?

Gwenfloor
2007-08-11, 08:08 PM
I can do that. And I will.
But what about Jedi characters? Next time should I just allow players that would be smart enough to play Jedi and not others, even though it may seem unfair?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-11, 08:11 PM
Well, Player 2 is clearly not taking the game seriously. Tell him to come up with a backstory and destiny that make sense, assuming that that is important to you, as GM. Nothing wrong with humorous characters in general, but if that's not the tone of game you're going for, that's not the tone of game you're going for.

Not sure what to do with Player 1. You may want him to come up with something less abstract.

And as to what you said as I was previewing this message? It's not a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of enforcing your rule asking for a credible backstory, something that you're right to ask for Rebellion Era Jedi.

Starsinger
2007-08-11, 08:12 PM
I can do that. And I will.
But what about Jedi characters? Next time should I just allow players that would be smart enough to play Jedi and not others, even though it may seem unfair?

Yes. Yes you should. And yes it's unfair. I mean.. let's face it, Jedi come with a bunch of restrictions like paladins, and since you can't (typically) play a Sith/blackguard in Starwars... if they aren't going to act like a Jedi, they don't get to be a Jedi.

Gwenfloor
2007-08-11, 08:21 PM
The Rebellion Era is not fair for Jedi, either. Even the most wise of Jedi got gunned down or worse by Palpatine's minions.

Starbuck_II
2007-08-11, 08:35 PM
Two of my players in my SAGA Edition Game are problematic:
1.) Player 1's Destiny is to "Have Fun." That isn't really a goal, not something one aspires to. He is probably a hedonist, but his class is Soldier, which does not lend well to such pursuits.

Can't he be a Mercenary? That is why he fights for fun. Normal life is boring in his galaxy. His Destiny...he should work on it though. Maybe, do something one day that will make him famous in a good way: Fame is fun after all.

2.) All players but Player 1 are Jedi. It is set in the Rebellion Era. I told each Jedi Player that they NEED to come up with a good reason how they evaded the Jedi Purge and Order 66. Otherwise, their is no rational explanation for how they escaped. Player 2 simply said that he blew up the Clone Troopers that were chasing him at the Jedi Temple at Coruscant, and he is obsessed with bombs. He once said, out loud, to a person the party was having a conversation with, "I have a bomb strapped to my chest." He also did not divulge anything else about his character's back story, and his destiny is "Mass Murder." He does not seem to take the game seriously, and his character's name is "Jebus."

He went crazy after the purge. So now he relies on bombs more than the force. After all, the force didn't save the best Jedi: all the great ones died (As the living ones are not well known).

He wishes to kill someone: maybe ask him if he can narrow it. Maybe a race, maybe a specific group of people, or something. Like the one who gave the order to try to kill him.

If any of you played SAGA, then you may know of the Destiny Mechanic. The player defines a goal for his character, and he gains bonuses and penalties related to the completion of that goal.

I know of Saga but haven't read it so can't help there.

nerulean
2007-08-12, 07:24 AM
Be unfair to the people who want to play Jedi. Either ask them all to give you explanations of their background and how they're surviving and tell them that you'll be picking the best and most plausible to play Jedi, and everyone else will have to change, or pretend to have chosen randomly if you feel bad about the onus of choice resting on your shoulders -- though a DM is well-served to develop a thick skin about things like that.

As for the fighter, I wouldn't say his destiny is too far out from his class choice. You should discuss with him how he's planning to play it if you're concerned, but he could easily be an adrenaline junky who fights because it's the only thing that makes him feel alive and lives for that rush, or just a happy-go-lucky type with no real sense of responsibility or the need to plan for the future who takes every day as it comes and means to enjoy it. Even more fighter specific, he could be the 'live fast, die young' sort, who doesn't expect there to be much of a future that might need planning for.

Kiero
2007-08-12, 07:47 AM
Can't he be a Mercenary? That is why he fights for fun. Normal life is boring in his galaxy. His Destiny...he should work on it though. Maybe, do something one day that will make him famous in a good way: Fame is fun after all.

Exactly. I see absolutely nothing wrong with player 1.

Player 2 could do with a sit-down about the tone of the game, and if that fails, the boot.

Matthew
2007-08-12, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I think Player 1 may eventually develop a 'real' destiny, but Player 2 probably won't. If the person is reasonable, explain the situation to him and see if you can come to an agreeable conclusion. If not, you may have to go your seperate ways or come to some other arrangement.